What kind of society would arise from a race of people who regularity break reality both scientifically and magically?

What kind of society would arise from a race of people who regularity break reality both scientifically and magically?

Why do you keep spamming this image with really lazy threads? Meme forcing belongs in /b/ and /r9k/,

What?

This is legitimently the first time I posted this image.

And the question is serious

A degenerate sort.

See elves.

>regularity break reality both scientifically and magically?
If they regularly break the rules of "reality" then the rules of reality are obviously false and we need to make a new model.

There is no such thing as "breaking" reality. If it's broken, it's not reality.

On a side note, this is the primary problem with the common casters vs martials shit thread. Casterfags are unable to grasp the concept that reality isn't meaningful unless it includes all effects, so the argument that "casters break teh reality!" is circular.

/thread

The thing is, while mages break the laws of reality, they also do so in a fairly predictable way that, in itself, has its own set of laws.

For instance, mages can conjure a bead of fire that explodes into a 20 ft. radius from a point that they designate. Normally, you wouldn't be able to conjure fire from nothing but since the person is a mage, he's able to utilize the Fireball spell which states several parameters, up to and including how far it can be launched, how much damage it does to creatures, whether or not it sets things on fire, what one has to do to avoid it, etc. etc.

So it's not so much that casters break reality, they're just temporarily rewriting the laws to make the impossible, possible. Though to a sub-IQ martial, it would appear as though they're breaking reality, but that has more to do with misinterpretation than anything else.

And thus another martial vs caster thread was born.

Your post contributed nothing to what was said.

>Mages exist
>Mages can cast the "fire beads" spell
>Which means the "fire beads" spell exists
>Which means beads of fire that shoot out of your hands and explode on contact are part of what you would define as the "rules of reality"

Its not any less real because only some people can do it. I'm not proeficient in playing chess, actually most people aren't. That doesn't make my dad a wizard.

>regularly break reality
Then it's not broken.

Spells are like an addendum or patch notes to reality that get applied when certain conditions are met.

In order to cast fireball, you need to take sulfer and bat guano, recite an invocation, move your hands in a very specific way to draw in arcane energy, and the resulting ingredient combine in a way that turns the material components used into a volatile object that explodes on impact.

Now normally, taking sulfur and bat shit and mashing them together would just give you messy hands and a sense of embarrassment, but since it's a part of a magic spell, the resulting combination works in a way that causes an explosion because reality has been rewritten to allow such actions to produce such volatile results.

>Now normally, taking sulfur and bat shit and mashing them together would just give you messy hands and a sense of embarrassment

Unless you know the right way to make a fireball. You still haven't explained how something that can be accomplished, cannot be accomplished. Its either one or the other.

You cannot create fire from nothing, but with magic, you can, but only if you fulfill very specific instructions and sacrifice enough power to do so.

You're thinking of the rules of reality in terms of a binary computation (yes/no) when magic operates on the level of quantum computation (yes/no/maybe).

In this way, magic inherently breaks the rules of reality.

>If you look at it incorrectly it works

>You can only do something correctly or incorrectly.
This is why Wizards require high Intelligence.

>tfw too intelligent to realise "possible" and "impossible" are mutually exclusive adjectives.

>You're thinking of the rules of reality in terms of a binary computation (yes/no) when magic operates on the level of quantum computation (yes/no/maybe).

This doesn't mean magic, in settings where it exists, isn't part of reality. Just that the guy who thinks reality follows the strictly non-magical approach is wrong.

And stop trying to use fancy words you don't understand. Quantum-whatever is no less rule-bound than anything else, it's just that the rules are very unintuitive to most people.

>it's just that the rules are very unintuitive to most people.
Which is why most people never become mages. The average person doesn't have the intellect to understand that there are more than two possible outcomes to any given situation.

Breaking reality means unpredictable by definition.

So, it is unpredictable. Maybe they will all be toasters. Maybe they will not exist at all.

Even if there was an alternate for of magic that 0% of the population was aware of existed it would still be part of reality.

Even if that's how magic works, that's still part of that settings reality.

And if you mean that's how quantum mechanics work, then switch to bottled water or move out of Flint, if you're lucky it won't be too late. Then try finding more than one valid solution to the probability function for a given particle.

Except that magic isn't possible unless you fulfill specific obligations that unlock magical power at the cost of your resources.

If our reality is like a wavelength, magic would be a wavelength that's out of phase to be difficult to harness but not so out of phase that one cannot force it to line up with our reality.

And sometimes, when cosmological conditions are met, the wavelengths become more and more synced, which is why magical power is amplified during events like all the planets in the solar system lining up.
The common problem with speaking to lesser intellects is that even when you tell them the truth, your words sound like gibberish to them.

Shame, I guess we all can't be arcane geniuses.

I didn't know pic related browsed Veeky Forums.

If you cannot explain it properly of course people won't understand - there is nothing to understand. Quantum mechanics describes the world we live in.

Do you see any magic here?

What is or is not possible is merely your perception of what is or is not possible.

A century ago, most people wouldn't dream of a reality where we would one day stand on the moon or create a weapon capable of vaporizing two metropolitan cities.

In another century, who knows what advancements we'll make.

The tree still makes sound even if no one is there.

How do you know though?

Which is magical in what way?

If I went back in time 5000 years with a light bulb it would still work. And with sufficient time and effort I could teach people how it works, and even how to make their own.

Advanced technology is NOT indistinguishable from magic.

>If I went back in time 5000 years with a light bulb it would still work.
How would you get it to work without power?
>And with sufficient time and effort I could teach people how it works, and even how to make their own.
And to those people, you would be seen as a Wizard because you're making light without using a torch.
>Advanced technology is NOT indistinguishable from magic.
Spoken like a true plebeian.

I'd make a bronze faraday disk and attach it to the geared output of a waterwheel or something similar. It wouldn't be very good by modern standards but it would demonstrate the principle of heating a filament to generate light.

As well as electricity in general.

They might think I am a wizard - until I explain it to them and show them how they can do it themselves. Zero magical talent necessary.