How long does it take to train a bunch of peasants into soldiers or militia? Spears, swords, sword and shield, bows...

How long does it take to train a bunch of peasants into soldiers or militia? Spears, swords, sword and shield, bows, crossbows, matchlocks, polearsm, pikes, etc.

Depends on how good you want them.

A week: 1 day to teach them the consequences for disobedience, 2 days to learn to march and move in lockstep, 3 days to learn not to all break when cavalry charges them, and 1 day to learn how to use whatever weapons you've given them.

4 months for basic. 4 years to be good. 10-15-a lifetime to be masters.

and what weapons you are training them with. It takes far less time to train someone to use a Pike, Crossbow, or Musket than to train them to use a Bow, Sword, or Halberd.

Depends on the system (assuming the system has rules for these things of course)

I know that in Burning Wheel, for instance, learnin to use a weapon to basic competence needs 6 months of 2 hours a day training for the average person. Of course, a soldier needs more than basic skill in one weapon and in that system the foot-soldier life-path takes 4 years in total.

Barebones militia? Not long. Particularly with ranged units. Bowmen, arquebusiers and crossbowmen units primarily rely on group coordination to fire volleys instead of individual aim. Crossbows and guns, in particular, are more expensive than bows but require far, far less skill to use accurately.

Learning to march and shit is pretty easy. I did ROTC in high school, and we'd usually have freshmen able to do basic facing and marching after three one-hour sessions. They wouldn't be parade quality, but falling in isn't hard.

>4 months for basic
Yes
>4 years to be good
Yes
>10-15-a lifetime to be masters
No.
After 4 years the returns for combats training is fairly exhausted, you need, need, NEED experience to progress at that point

You didn't do ROTC in high school, you did JROTC

Forgot there was a distinction there, thanks, user.

>After 4 years the returns for combats training is fairly exhausted, you need, need, NEED experience to progress at that point
There is significant diminishing returns, but you won't get to Master level in just 4 years.

By Master level I mean opening your own fencing school/dojo/academy and being widely renowned and considered an expert in your particular field.

Just get the level 5 training and they upgrade themselves,so you can have a 50 knights army and fuck everyone in Calradia

>50 knights army
>fuck everyone

What easy mode shit are you playing? You need 120+ is you want to take even a poorly defended city.

To train a good bowman, start with his grandfather.

>You need 120+ is you want to take even a poorly defended city.

Lol noob,swadian knights have no rivals,just go first,go around the enemies,and kill them while they are focusing your knights.

Rhodok spears for the center, Nord infantry on the flanks, Vaegir archers, Swadian and Sarranid melee cavalry to smash the enemy, and Khergit horse archers for mobile support.

>3 days to learn not to all break when cavalry charges them

Considering this was an issue even among well-trained, professional soldiers, I highly doubt you could teach this to peasants in the space of a week, let alone three days.

>no Rhodok crossbowmen

>go around the enemies
>In a siege

>Not just 100+ khergit lancers

I've got places to be user, I don't have time to wait for some footslogging bumpkin.

5 minute montage.

You can turn men into soldiers as fats as you can hand them theirs spears and signing up-bonuses.

Making a great soldier starts in early childhood, takes roughly twenty years and two-three battles.

Good soldiers are somewhere in between.

Hell, if we're talking pikemen then three days won't be nearly enough to stop the formation form turning into a game of Mikado the moment you want it to do anything more complicated than "slowly walk straight ahead across level ground".

Go to /hwg/ and look up the historical treatises. There will be a drillbook in there by William Barriffe. Towards the end of it, there is a training regime.

Do youir own damn research.

>By Master level I mean opening your own fencing school/dojo/academy and being widely renowned and considered an expert in your particular field.

Again, that's not a matter of training, that's a matter of experience.

Yeah, full length pikes take coordination. A nice simple spear and shield formation should be managable though, as long as you only want them to move forward or turn 90° at a time.

According to modern experiments?
About a day of solid training for shieldwall and spear. Maybe two if you want something more sophisticated.

noob, you walk up the ladder and jump on top of them. then walk over them to the end of the mob

For spear/pike formations? Probably a few months.

I've done it before, but you're not going to have enough arrows to carry a siege by yourself, and if you get close enough to kill then you're going to agro a big chunk of the mob.