media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
Do you like sieges and mass combat on occasion? How have you/has your GM balanced those types of encounters?

Other urls found in this thread:

rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/77580/does-getting-information-about-a-monster-in-combat-take-an-action
discord.gg/0i1aZV35xAqts4s0
youtube.com/watch?v=TPrscpWQByU&list=PLxV6pTP86zoYAA1SRSBKr4BX6f02DtfqY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The old V1 mass battles rules (with stands and so forth) are actually quite workable.

Maybe we'll get a decent UA in August.

Never actually done mass combat before. I imagine it's a fucking mess if the DM doesn't pull it off perfectly though.

>implying

I don't really leave that shit up to chance to be honest. If an army is gonna win it will win due to numbers or PC intervention. It's mostly window dressing.

If there's a shit ton of foot soldiers helping fight some massive creature then I basically make them lair actions that benefit the party.

Threadly reminders:
1: My homebrew is miles better than any other pitched in here.
2: Roleplaying your stats is retarded and autistic.
3: The Discord should be in the OP
4: Traps are not gay, repeat. Traps are NOT gay.
5: Cammie's genitals are not malformed and their weird cucumber shaked vagina is totally natural.
6: The UA this month is going to let everyone down.

sup Veeky Forums

Looked in the books, can't find rules for it. Cam you make a knowledge check for free in combat? Anywhere it says that?

Thank you.

If you're the DM, fucking decide for yourself

No. It takes an action to make an ability check unless otherwise stated. Read the goddamn book.

It's a skill check.

Skill checks are ability checks you dolt

Which use... that's right. Ability scores.
They are subsets of that and bound by the same rule. Learn to read.

remembering information probably isn't an action. telling everyone else the information is apparently an action. I guess talking isn't free any more.

rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/77580/does-getting-information-about-a-monster-in-combat-take-an-action

cites PHB page 190

Is Boltsmelter's Book the worst module available for 5e? If not, what is?

>I guess talking isn't free any more.
Did you read the book? It says "You can communicate however you are able, through brief utterances and gestures, as you take your turn."

>Cam you make a knowledge check

No. Knowing something isn't an action, so you shouldn't be rolling a check for it. Knowledge is passive.

>Cam you make
Cammy died in session today. We will not forget how hard we laughed at the Whammy Trannie.

>Knowing something isn't an action, so you shouldn't be rolling a check for it
user are you retarded? Of course you roll to see if your character knows something that they may or may not know.

in addition to this, remember a turn is supposed to be six seconds and consider how long it takes you to both remember something (basically instant) and relay it to other people (significantly less instant).

yeah but "brief utterances and gestures" isn't a full sentence, is it? that's shit like yelling "over here!" or "duck!", not "their kind ill likes fire!" or "even in numbers, a weakling is a weakling still!"

though I guess that's up to the DM.

Make way, best seting

I'm about to have PCs on a battlefield and that's pretty much how it's gonna go.

Running HotDQ, there's a section where the players can spark a massive battle between about 40 lizardfolk and 100 bullywugs, plus a dozen cultists and a couple of named villain NPCs. If I ever do it again, I would handwave it as (if the players don't help) each lizardfolk kills 2 or 1.5 bullywugs. But...

What I did was essentially divide them into squads of 10 monsters each and made a macro in roll20 that would simultaneously roll all the 20 attacks a squad would make, compare it to the other side's AC and multiply the number of successes by average damage. Then I'd see how many enemies would that total damage kill. And so on and so forth.

So basically I just ran it like normal combat, but I overprepared to account for the crazy numbers.

>are you retarded?
Are you? You make an ability check (if necessary) when you declare an action. What action are you taking to "see if your character knows something that they may or may not know"? Knowledge should ALWAYS use passive ability scores.

Does anyone know where to get a copy of the Baby Bestiary?

Never roleplay the furthest knowledge if the light switch was repaired. You really want to roll a nat 20 in that case.

i'm pretty salty warforged aren't in anything official yet

i wanna be the robot guy

you could argue "recalling information" is an action of some kind, just not one that takes very long.

and there's enough variance in being able to remember shit when you're *not* in a battle for your life that I'd say rolling for it isn't too unreasonable.

Friend, you are mistake

Gotta get your levels up in "That Guy" first champ. Trust me, I spent 15 years being "That Guy" and now I have a vegetable for a daughter. Don't be like me.

>Never roleplay the furthest knowledge if the light switch was repaired. You really want to roll a nat 20 in that case.
What?

You have to pretend you're a step removed so as not to electric metagame you autist. How hard is that?

Stop responding to this fuck

So, the Cleric's Divine Intervention. It says any cleric spell is suitable, but what would the save be? Would a deity's save be super high, or would it just use the cleric's spell save? If it's the latter, I don't see what the point of this feature is. One extra spell is kind of nice, but before 20 it has a very high chance of failure, and lol at the idea of actually playing at level 20.

I'll respond to whoever the FUCK I want to, friendo.

As a DM I would argue that it just happens, no save. If you succeed in getting divine intervention then your deity impresses their will on the universe and you owe them bigtime.

It says "the effect of any cleric spell...", so I assume that any saving throws would automatically fail.

kys

I am bringing important conversations to the top of the pack. You're just a beta and jealous of how alpha I am. I bet your boyfriend tried to leave you for me. Look at my fucking Warlord and play it, tell me how it is.

Alright so, a 10-19% chance of a super fuck you spell.....but the DM choses which spell, so not only do you have no control, it's very likely to fail. Seems like the only reason to use it is if you're out of spell slots and about to die.

>Seems like the only reason to use it is if you're out of spell slots and about to die.
I mean... it's quite literally a "hail Mary" ability. It's not supposed to be reliable.

Yeah it's kind of a shitty action which is why I usually just turn it into something that solves whatever problem they're having or whatever will advance the plot.

I pray to kill the bbeg instantly isn't something I'd likely do. But if it's like "smite this fucking miniboss pls god" and it succeeds, then fucking sure.

If it were THE bbeg, or something of that magnitude I'd probably have it seriously turn the tide in their favor and of course it's flavored based on the deity.
At level 20, shit is usually hitting the fan hard enough that only getting to use it once per week is enough to really save it for when it needs using.

Honestly, I believe the intention is that it's supposed to be very good if it succeeds. But that suggestion is there just so players have something to point to as a minimum.

See Also the spell is only random if you don't pray for a specific kind of intervention. Obviously unless your character is literally retarded you'd pray to be saved from the threat you're facing or that someone is resurrected or whatever actually needs solving right then.

Literally who are you?

Don't take the bait, just ignore him

I literally was playing a game and we were getting fucked up the ass, all out of spell slots, and the cleric rolled an 11, we were level 15, so it succeeded. It was fucking awesome. Worth it for that moment at our table for sure.

He was a cleric of some thunder/lightning god, so it was like a level 9 call lightning iirc. Plenty enough to save our asses.

or you could just not use it in the middle of combat
use it before a fight and maybe the whole party gets hasted
maybe cure a plague, or rebuild a destroyed city, it doesn't have to be a cleric spell

All this talk of gods.

Which should I go with for my cleric archer?
Tempest archer wood elf or protector aasimar war cleric?

Also any cool deities that fit either domain to be pulled from? Wood elf would likely be chaotic neutral or good, while aasimar I'd probably be looking toward lawful good.

If you like homebrew you should check out this excellent homebrew race

I'm c0re? There's no way you've never heard of me. I'm the biggest turd in shittown. I am the head of 5eg. I get Rick to do whatever the hell I want. I have an army of autist elite thatguys ready to fuck you up in a moment's notice. All it takes is two-click and my daughter I keep chained up will bite your fucking jugular out.

Have you played my Artificer supplement? Should help keep your sessions interesting. Since your story is utter shit anyways.

>Which should I go with for my cleric archer?
DEPENDS
ON
THE
SETTING
>Tempest archer wood elf or protector aasimar war cleric?
First one seems more fun to me desu

Not bad. I think I'll throw it into my stuff and take credit.

Thanks.

>DEPENDS
>ON
>THE
>SETTING
Do you mean what god should I go with?
I was talking about what class, sorry. That was confusing.

But about the god, setting doesn't fucking matter actually. It's all homebrew and we do whatever the fuck we want, so I'm looking more for inspiration than anything else. If there's a cool deity that exists in mythology somewhere I'm down to consider it or steal ideas in regards to its lore.

Yeah, I like both, but being angel-man seems fun to me too. Feels like I'd be able to land some pretty big angel-powered arrows at people too.

Fantastic execution.

Artemis is your lady. Greek Goddess of Hunting and Archery.

>it doesn't have to be a cleric spell

the description says cleric spell or cleric domain spell. And only one. So I don't see how it can haste multiple people.

How bad will I get "That Guy'd" if I post a looking for players notice at my lgs. I just moved to a new town and have zero friends here and hate online play.

I'm up for a discord, link?

discord.gg/0i1aZV35xAqts4s0

Don't be too threatened by my magnificence.

Not him, but from the wording it seems as though that's a suggestion, not a clear-cut rule. Up to DM discretion.

Thank you kind stranger
Are you perhaps also interested in homebrew classes

it just says the effect of any cleric spell would be appropriate, clearly a suggestion, the DM can come up with any way to satisfy the prayer
i've never used it, but to me it seems like an extremely useful ability unless the DM hates you, just don't use it in combat unless extremely desperate

If I were a playing a cleric I'd limit myself to praying for things within the domain of my deity.

>life cleric
resurrecting a fallen ally in the heat of battle, or curing someone that's incredibly sick, etc.
>war cleric
some sort of boons in battle, or an incredibly powerful attack, protection against an outside force, or even some sort of battle strategy
>tempest
a storm to hide us as we pass through dangerous territory, a giant wave to sink an enemy ship, for them to calm a storm that's about to sink OUR ship
>knowledge
a library card that never expires

I feel like praying for help outside of a deities particular domain is something I'd be less likely to grant as a DM unless it were something minor.

As fucking predicted, as soon as I left Ricks' session (I did not get kicked out like everyone heard) TPK. Why am I so great at this game?

You're a dumpsterfire of a person
Do you assume everyone is directing their questions towards you specifically or are you just that full of shit

they're kind enough to use a name, so when you see it just ignore. It's that simple

Stop responding to this obvious bait
How can you really be this stupid
Ignore him

Really hurt my feelings. I'm going to have to take a moment on this one.

Jk kys

>skill checks are separate from ability checks

What do you guys think of Matthew Colville?

I'm a bit on the fence here, some of his content is very good, but some is utter garbage.

I missed the punching man discussion from the previous thread, sadly.

my sides

Worth watching. If you disagree with him on some things, that's fine - a show doesn't have to be right 100% of the time to be good.
Learn what you can from what you like and be able to explain the things you don't like and you'll come out much wiser.

It's all utter dreck. Don't pay attention to him. Cats talk about things is a much better youtube series.

Speaking of 'content worth watching'; what IS worth watching? I've poked around at WebDM on Youtube and was fairly 'eh'.

What do people recommend / what do they follow? Also potentially receptive to things like podcasts.

What are the best Campaign books? The Ravenloft one I've noticed has gotten a lot of love and I have only seen disdain for Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but what about the others?

He jumps at a chance to defend his friends. Namely Mercer and co.
Mercer is fine and whatever. His only problem is his alcoholic girlfriend.

What I got from Colville in that video is basically
>don't let the rules dictate your fun
And he's not wrong. What I don't agree with is his presumption that the only people criticizing other people's games are those that aren't playing in games themselves. While that may be true in many cases, that's not so for a great number of us. It takes two seconds for me to recall that a hasted rogue does not get 4 actions and 2 bonus actions. I have plenty of time to prepare my own games despite being able to point that out.
I don't go to reddit or anything, but I think the critrole fans that don't really know d&d or those that only play it because of the show and others like it dislike any kind of criticism or "well, I would have done X" instead because they see it as hostile when it can just be friendly discourse among viewers.

I enjoy critrole and other things like it as background noise and inspiration for my own games as well. Criticism doesn't mean you hate a thing or want someone to necessarily change their ways to suite you.

I've got shill these guys.

youtube.com/watch?v=TPrscpWQByU&list=PLxV6pTP86zoYAA1SRSBKr4BX6f02DtfqY

Probably the best D&D experiences you can record.

Fuck I miss that comic. The dialogue in it is a national treasure.

I'd link a video but it's me talking about why killing goblins isn't racist and I haven't made anything since

I don't understand how it flat out doesn't exist anymore online

He's good as long as you take his stuff with a pinch of salt. The guy has a huge amount of experience and he has good reasons for thinking all the things he's tied and tested work.
Goes full retard whenever he tries to talk about anything not Dungeons and Dragons though in that classic nerd way, but that's kind of adorable.

Sup Veeky Forums, I'm looking for a meaner wild magic surge table. The reason is that the current arc of my game's big bad is mass producing something called allcatalyst, which acts as a nearly universal spell component for spells under 4th level, but causes a surge on a %roll of 10 or under. It's also radioactive and just ever so slightly bad news, so I want the effects to be more negative than good.

What are some interesting morality tests for lawful good paladins?

HOW THE FUCK DOES MAGICAL SECRETS WORK?
do you get 2 more spells known from an expanded spell list?
or do you just get an expanded spell list?

Oh god, no. No. No. No.

I find most d&d advice to be pretty shit.
I like crit role for the characters and roleplay. The story is pretty standard fair for a game of d&d. But mercer does nice voices and is pretty good at descriptions of things. Though you do notice how he falls into patterns of describing certain things and then the effect dulls. Though it can't be helped.
When it comes to podcast The Adventure Zone hits a lot of really good beats for me. A shame they seem so intent of scripting the final bits of the show so much to "get it right." The organic nature of the brothers sitting around and doing shit like in the first arc was what I really liked, I didn't need an amazing story. But I guess they feel the weight of responsibility to deliver a good ending or whatever.

But regardless of the things that I don't love about those shows, I still like them enough to tune in.

READ THE BOOK YOU FUCKING IDIOT
IT'S SO GOD DAMN FUCKING OBVIOUS HOW IT WORKS

Giving them a bunch of bullshit inane "tests" and seeing how long it takes for them to physically strike you

Fuck you.

One day you'll grow out of wanting to "gotcha!" your players and let them have agency.

Well they used to be before the game became casualized trash.

Depends on their specific ideals. "Lawful Good" is a really freakin' broad term. You have to figure out what you're actually testing them for.

What comic is that?

I DID READ THE BOOK, NIGGER
IT DOENST MAKE SENSE
IT COULD GO BOTH WAYS

Literally kill yourself

captcha: close calle

Morality is subjective. Using alignment is retarded and you should kill yourself

The D&D comic
I happen to have all 16 issues on my computer

Fell's Five

How could "Choose two spells from any class" be ANY FUCKING CLEARER YOU GOD DAMN AUTIST

Not him but I literally couldn't think of a clearer way to explain it to you than what is plainly written in the book.

you should post it on Mega or something you good looking fine stallion

>Alleged Paladin
kek