Does anyone even fucking care about the forgotten realms lore

First time DM running a 5e campaign set in calimport, the lore of this clusterfuck of a setting is so god damn confusing and awful. I'm thinking of retconning at least 90% of this shit out

FR is a trash setting only loved due to nostalgia by people who grew up with it. Use a different one or make up your own.

If you're going to retconn 90% of the Realms, why are you even planning on running it? For most campaigns, most of the lore isn't going to be important anyway. No need to retconn it.

>make up your own.
How to instantly make your players not give a shit about your game's setting. Make some homebrew crap.

There are a lot of people who care about Realmslore but they are faggots so you can safely disregard their opinions

You're the DM you can retcon whatever the fuck you want, if your players enjoy the game it means you're doing a good job

It's all bad so it should all be disregarded at will.

>That feel when you built the world WITH your players and all of them are super invested in it.

The feeling is good by the way.

forgotten realms lore is so irrelevant it was thrown into the mtg multiverse. Just do whatever

>Make some homebrew crap
Don't tell your players. Call it Forgotten Realms or whatever else. If they are faggots who can only eat shitty settings like FR if they are made by recognized company then let them have it. Most homebrew settings are no worse than FR.

You guys really need to relax. FR is one of the better kitchen sink fantasy settings, and has tons of great material. If anything, the biggest complaint would be just how much material there is, and it get's a little crazy how much is crammed into a relatively small geographic region.

You've got the Red Wizards, the Netherese Shades, the Underdark complete with incredibly detailed Drow Cities, and so on and so forth. If anything, you might actually be hating more of FR's popularity than you are the setting itself, because it commits very few egregious crimes.

>For most campaigns, most of the lore isn't going to be important anyway. No need to retconn it.

This. I played a long-running FR game in 2E that was all set around the Moonsea area, and I think the only canon stuff the DM used besides the map was the gods.

Youre all fucking retarded. FR is great.

You're on the wrong Veeky Forums, Ed.

This. Don't put the cart before a horse. If you don't need 90% of the lore then just don't use the lore.

Fuck don't even have any lore. Start them off in a town with a spooky castle nearby.

You shut the fuck up you fucking faggot.

You are not the fucking mouthpiece for fucking Veeky Forums

Where are you from? /a/? /pol/? /v/? How long have you even been on this board?

What would be one thing you're going to retcon?

Part of me feels like you're just having a laugh, but part of me thinks you maybe didn't get the joke.

In case you didn't get the joke, google the letters tg and notice what sites you get.

>google the letters tg and notice what sites you get.
Not him, but I did.
First result is
>Veeky Forums - Traditional Games - Veeky Forums
second result is
>Veeky Forums - Traditional Games - Catalog - Veeky Forums

Keep scrolling.

I assume you're familiar with the jokes about Ed Greenwood.

Greyhawk is superior prove me wrong.
>open ended setting that's easy to insert your own stuff, just enough detail not to be overwhelmed like FR's massive clusterfuck of lore
>gritty but fantastic, not like bullshit level high fantasy that FR is
>interesting history and maps
>regions that are actually unknown and off the map relatively close to the "main" areas you'd be adventuring in. You don't have to go thousands and thousand of miles to get off the map like in FR
>created by Gary Gygax, the father of rpgs

A literally who tier setting, has been since 3E so only turbogrognards still use it.

something about him being a horndog I guess

Btw you do know that google results are tailored to your traffic right?

>popularity matters
Well the which setting is better then? It certainly isn't FR

Eberron is superior prove me wrong.
>open-ended setting meant to contain everything in D&D, with tons of detail out there that can be used but isn't necessary, with huge questions left open for DMs to fill in
>capable of covering any number of genres including standard exploration, hard-boiled pulp fiction, world-spanning campaigns, high-fantasy adventure, and hard intrigue
>fantastic history and maps with a static starting year for campaigns so changes between editions is minimal
>regions that are actually unexplored can be reached in days to weeks via airship
>created by Keith Baker, a generally chill guy

multiple things, but the big thing would be the genasi takeover of calimport.

Retard tier high fantasy

So you guys might think I'm the biggest fag ever but my homebrew setting pulls from FR Greyhawk, Tal'Dorei. The Imperium of Man. Morrowind/Skyrim, and a MUD I used to play called Exile. I flat out told my players nothing is original.

>GUILDS!
>STEAMPUNK!
>AIRSHIPS!

It's fucking trash outside of warforged.

Even warforged are trash. All the steampunk wannabe stuff is autistic.

>So you guys might think I'm the biggest genius ever

ftfy

What the fuck happened to Veeky Forums while I was away?

Steal shit! Steal shit and don't stop stealing shit. You are playing this for fucking fun, not to fucking get a Pulitzer Prize

If someone says "ugh that's not original" call them a fag and that you aren't going to engage in their trolling anymore.

Never used it, never will.
Always make my own and steal from things that interest me.

>warforged
>steampunk

Why would you chose to give a badass race the faggiest form of power?

Whenever I warforged it's 100% magic. You are a fucking dumbass.

If your players aren't fanboys who read all the novels and setting splat books then none of it matters. Start them in the nentir vale, steal some gods from greyhawk, have Strahd be a masked lord of waterdeep. Whatever.

desu senpai it was just the tal'dorei part i felt i was going to get shit for.

FR is bad, but Greyhawk is boring, and that's worse.

So Ravenloft?

There's nothing fun about a world where there are so many powerful adventurers and magic users around that the the idea of any region of the world or any significant region of it being in peril, or needing adventurers to do anything of significance, other than perhaps a straight-up war between powerful factions (again, something a party of player characters could, only have very little influence on because there are so many other relatively powerful characters around) is fucking laughable.

FR is like a world of warcraft realm where everyone wears big glowy shoulderpads and has a magic cockring of fireballs, and just kind of stand in line with the other "adventurers" (read; thousands of denizens) for the mobs to respawn.

It's a theme park ride where all you really do is "Oh look it's Drizz't, oh look it's Elminster! Oh look it's ..." and pretend there's something interesting going on.
But there are no stakes. There are never any stakes. There is no conceivable reason why the PC party should ever matter or have even the slightest bit of real influence on anything until they cap out at max level, beyond perhaps bringing something that's going on to the attention of some lord, or some good dagon or goodie-two-shoe organization like the Harpers.

Maybe there's a graveyard you can clear out here, or an old dungeon you can clear out there, but you're just being the fantasy equivalent of street sweepers.

Ravenloft is the SHIT.

I think it takes a kind of interesting premise and executes it in the most basic boring way possible.

I whole heartedly agree. I was making a joke.

Every incarnation of Ravenloft is fantastic

But chasing the Pulitzer can be fun too.

Yeah it's just like how in every DC comic book the last page is always Superman flying in stopping the bad guy and leaving.

Nah, Crowraise.

Then don't fucking apologize for chasing a fucking Pulitzer.

Also don't get pissy if people don't want to play your faggy Pulitzer game

Blackbirdapartment

>Then don't fucking apologize for chasing a fucking Pulitzer.
Not that user.

Parrothacienda

Are there even good D&D settings?

I'm actually going to have to agree with this guy. Greyhawk's got some absolute diamonds of modules, but the WoG box is really rather dull.

Are there even any good games?

Is there anything good in life?

No.

Here you go

Do it. It has 50 years of acumulated lore. That's bloated for a setting and their revamps don't quite work out. Take what you need and mix it with what you want.

Has any rpg campaign or adventure ever a Pulitzer?

Checking Wikipedia, I'm not even sure a Pulitzer category exists. "Drama" would be about closest.

Eberron aka why you don't use gamist principles to make a setting.

user aka why you don't make posts about shit you literally know nothing about.

Ignore the Sword Coast, that's the *really* overdeveloped part. Everything else is more sensible and interesting.

Still tied to the bullshit, so you might want to just do a different setting.

Sounds like you're having fun, user. Keep at it.

>gamist principles
It's a bunch of different pulp set ups rolled into one in a way that panders to the kitchen sink stuff. There's nothing especially gamist about being a detective caught up in a train robbery, bartering with monster barons for crystals made out of god-blood, or raiding tombs full of scorpion-worshipping witch doctors.

>Greyhawk is superior prove me wrong.

Sales numbers.

Ravenloft is excellent as long as you're willing to take off the reigns and let PC's tackle the setting itself head on. That is to say, accept that there will be one of 3 outcomes.

1. PC's finish their adventure and the dark powers immediately vomit them back out into real space because fuck that shit

2. Strahd or Azalin dunks so hard over them your players wanna switch to Golden Sky Stories

3. Your players take it to the max and start destabilizing the whole fucking demiplane by destroying Dark Lords and fucking challenging the Dark Powers head on who start going REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE at someone messing with their lego's and what amounts to interdimensional WW1 starts as whatever beyonder cosmic treaties that let the DP's maintain their prison start getting broken or called upon leading to a clusterfuck it requires Ao or The One Above All to sort it out. After the planar equivilant of nukes get dropped on everything, your players wake up in a strange, dusty, ramshackle megacity. Welcome to Sigil.

FR has some golden bits, you just gotta sift through the bloat and mary sue dev/author inserts. Can we have discussions about FR or Ravenloft lore? I learned way too much about this fucking shit when I played on NWN PW's.

It's about the Age of Exploration and Indiana Jonesing, you cuck

Greyhawk is actually a really good setting. It's too bad information on it is so hard to find these days.

>Can we have discussions about FR or Ravenloft lore?
Sure, just gotta ask the questions and see if people are around who'll answer.

Any love for Point of Light?

I like 4e but know nothing of the setting beyond how BAD they fucked up the divine politics and the gods.

What's steampunk got to do with Eberron though?

Quetzalveranda

A New World Aztec/Inca/Mayan gothic horror setting would be pretty fucking neato (and more or less correct to their original mythology anyway)

>how BAD they fucked up the divine politics and the gods.
What do you mean?

>Tyr falls in love
>thinks he gets cucked
>kills Helm, he of the Most Fucking Based
>realizes he went oopsie
>anheroes himself
>Leaves torm in charge
>Torm's church turns into the not!Catholic douchebag church, AGAIN, just like they did during the time of troubles, AGAIN
>Mystra dies AGAIN, spellplague

Thank you user, I haven't laughed that hard in a while. that pic made my day.

I can't remember any of it at all, user

>Tyr
>Mystra
>Spellplague
That's Forgotten Realms, not Points of Light

The only right answer here

There was a difference?

Yes
4e Forgotten Realms is described in only two books : FR player's handbook and FR Encyclopedia or whatstheirname
All the other books (except both Eberrons) describe Points of Light

The only good thing coming from 4e FR is the Swordmage class

4e gave it a good shaking at least but you can always use 1e version, which probably was the best. Or to try and continue the ideas of late 2e (printing press, firearms and whatnot) which WotC killed to cashgrab on nostalgia. Can't blame them, since look how 4e turned out.

Yes, Points of Light is a fan name for The Nentir Vale, information about it is a bit all over the place and it's a barebones default setting for 4e. Pockets of civilization like city-states and whatever sprinkled throughout dangerous and unexplored wilderness. It's pretty okay but you might as well come up with something like that on your own.

"Points of Light" is meant to be a general sort of aesthetic to drive the assumptions about the game: cities and safe places are points of light in the darkness, and for the places in between there are heroes like the player characters.

It's also used as a shorthand for a setting that was originally used as an example for how to put together 4e stuff in its DMG 1, the Nentir Vale.

Not quite true, there were Menzoberranzan and Neverwinter sourcebooks, plus Demonomicon.

Conceptually I like the idea but the fact it's so bare bones is why no one remembers it

holy shit it really is ed

>Barebones
Your standard for "barebones" must be pretty high compared to mine
It's true that we don't have a lot of information about the material plane but the other planes are pretty well documented, thanks to all the books

Creating a material plane is easy enough that we don't really need those informations

>everyone but where the players would actually probably be was described

I mean, like, I enjoy planar and expanded setting stuff, but that seems like cart before horse

There's actually a nice explanation, penned by Elminster, as to why the super powerful actually can't do everything, and in a way really anything except act as deterrents to other super powerful people.

At that level, they're basically living nukes, and if one decides to act directly, he basically forces the hand of all his opponents, which forces the hand of all his allies, and the entire world ends.

That's why they need to work in subtle ways and through intermediaries. That, and the whole business about Faerun being stupidly big to the point where you can't rely on just the handful of epic-level characters to solve everything.

It's a world built specifically for adventurers, and it's best not to listen to old false memes about it and to actually look into it before you write several paragraphs of utter nonsense.

>I mean, like, I enjoy planar and expanded setting stuff, but that seems like cart before horse
It is
But, as I said, even if it's the most used part of the setting, it's not really hard to build

I do like the idea of High level Wizards as WMD's in a huge game of MAD and feel like it should've come up more.

Yeah, and that shit ain't my D&D dagnabbit. Keep that in Savage Worlds, not my sword and sworcery.

Don't use that setting then

Eberron was mentioned above, tons of fun to be had in that one. And of course there's Spelljammer.

I use FR as it's useful to have a whole bunch of maps , locations , deities ( nobody wants to read your super unique homebrew pantheon of god's ) and general lore for an area that I don't have to bother with myself. I think home-brewing your own world is really a waste of time unless it's going to be drastically different and unique and if that's the case then you're not going to be running it in D&D. Most homebrew exercises are simply mental masturbation that don't translate into any meaningful play at the table and I suspect are mostly done by people who dream about running games but never do as there's always a focus on inane details that nobody at the table will care about or probably even be able to interact with in a meaningful way.

Idon't run any of the named FR characters and I edit and make up lore to fit whatever is happening within my own game as well. FR is basically just a generic fantasy land setting I can use as a springboard for other ideas.

Likewise none of my players are lorefags in regards to FR which helps.

>Homebrewing is bad
>I homebrew my own alternate version of FR
Which is it?

Most are better.

>Spelljammer
Maybe when WotC lets it out of the basement where they keep all the dreams and happiness.

Demonomicon was basically the Abyss follow-up to the Elemental Chaos & Manual of the Planes splats, it was Nentir Vale/PoL setting, not Faerun-setting.