Saw thread about 3D printed warhammer and wanted to see what people thought about them killing the mini market or not...

Saw thread about 3D printed warhammer and wanted to see what people thought about them killing the mini market or not. Also as of right now how close can we get to gw stuff quality wise and cost of said 3D printer. Basically 3d printing general.

Other urls found in this thread:

thingiverse.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Also if mini painters will be affected or not

We were all hopeful about five years ago but it seems like they just can't get the surfaces smooth enough to use them without first sanding, etc.
Eventually (many years if not decades) it will transform personal manufacturing but by then GW will also have adapted.

If you had eyes and a brain you wouldn't be asking this question, but I guess Veeky Forums is just full of blind retards.

No wonder why people are hesitant to join this hobby.

Recasting is faster, cheaper and has almost perfect quality, for now 3D printing is just a meme

these threads die because if you post the words 3D Printing and Warhammer together, the GW legal team finds it and shuts it down.
Right now, recasting is easier, cheaper and has better results.
Use 3D printing for terrain and large pieces.

>"HEY GUYS WHATS UP HERKA DURKA DURK"
>"Shutup idiot."
>"WOW WHAT A BUNCH OF NERDS"

Yep, retards. I wish more people would be hesitant to join this hobby, we have too many of you dipshits already.

Been doing this for 3 years just never really looked into 3D printing and never really cared about tg until recently but damn there's some stuckup cunts on here.

What is recasting? I shall google at the same time, but you will also be able to give concise answer.

Lurk moar newfag

Idk the actual process but i think its where they take a models and make a mould out of it and then use that mold to make more models at a cheaper price. This process usually diminishes the quality of the model (unless you find someone good) becuase the detail is lost in the process but it is sold much cheaper than gw

This question comes up from time to time. The simple answer is no - 3D printing will never kill the mini market. It is, as other anons have pointed out, just another kind of recasting. You can look at it this way:

>injection moulding - high set-up costs, low per-unit costs
>resin moulding - medium set-up costs, medium per-unit costs
>3D printing - low set-up costs, high per-unit costs (and that's ignoring the cost of the printer and scanner)

Bit of a simplification, but even as 3D printers become more affordable it will hold true. Unless you're doing one or two of a particular model, recasting will always be a more cost-effective way of making knock-off minis. Chinaman is never going to switch to 3D printing for his manufacturing process. When 3D printing first started it was usually called 'rapid prototyping', and that's what it's best at. GW themselves have been using it for that for years, if not decades now. The area I can see it coming in is for making custom pieces, like shapeways. I wouldn't put it beyond GW to start offering a service through their website where you could design your own chapter pauldrons which they print, for example.

Not here.

Printing is for the uber-rich and even then the quality doesn't match the not-that-much-more-expensive originals.

Casting your own figs (or having someone else do it) with resin (can we use other materials now)?

I've seen entire armies cast by one guy.

my favourite meme

3D printing right now is at the level where you can get some decent quality with vehicles, but you don't get good model detail or strength with infantry type models.

Models also have to have a lot of post work done on them, and the lines caused by the printing process is always visible, even after painting if you look at the right places.

Also, getting a good 3D model to print and play with isn't easy right now, and for many, making their own models or customising for pose is out of their skill level or too time consuming.

There are some printers out there that fix these problems, but they are out of the range of the average customer right now

Oh look, it's this fucking thread again.

>killing the mini market
I can't imagine how 3D printing would kill the mini market, even if the quality were absolutely stunning.
Manufacturers would have access to the same technology, and still benefit from buying materials wholesale in large quantities.

Would never kill the mini market. Might very well get them to drop their prices to a more reasonable level, however. Once you've got high-grade home printing available, it's just a matter of getting the actual 3D model data - which, in all likelihood, an active modelling community will quickly rise to provide. Hell, you'll probably have a lot of original works, too, that may very well compete with official models in popularity.

Increased competition will hopefully see the models worth only a bit more than the cost of their raw plastic.

Needs 3D files

Most people who can make said 3D files could just, you know, do so for a company that makes models.

Moddable games with developed communities see people put out a lot of custom-modelled, even animated, content for free. I could see something similar happening with miniatures if 3D printing from home reaches the necessary level of quality.

PAINT THIS MINI

IF IT PAINTS GOOD THEN I'LL CONSIDER A 3D PRINTER

It's fucking awesome for making custom terrain.

The main area I've seen 3d printing make headway is in custom bits. Particularly smaller simple stuff like space marine shoulder pads with the icons of minor chapters printed on them.

On a separate note, how do you feel about people recasting stuff themselves. ie. buying from FW, getting a silicon mould done for themselves are casting it. Is it on the same level as chinaman

I really couldn't care less as long as the minis looked good. If I spent hours upon hours making my army look nice id wouldn't want to play against a really bad looking one. As for recasting yourself its one step above chinaman since you're still doing the work yourself but its still being "cheap".

One barrier even beyond the level of detail of the 3d printer, which is getting better at the industrial level even as it's kind of stagnating towards the consumer level, is getting high quality 3d models to feed to the printer in the first place.

Most people who haven't gotten into 3d modeling seem to vastly overestimate the ease of replicating something based on pictures or even an object on hand. Then you have to understand what portions need support material, to what degree you should fill in the space inside the model, etc. It's an art form that needs extensive amounts of practice like basically any other. The only effective difference is that you only need one person creating the models for a lot of people to print them, but you can't rely on the exact thing you want being made available by another artist.

Things have improved over the idea of actually carving/sculpting your own miniatures, but 3d printing should be seen as an advance on that rather than a replacement for professional manufacturing.

Most people here end up in the hobby because they are too autistic to cut it in the real world. Just learn to roll with the punches and you will fit it.

**fit in.

This is not at all how the conversation went. Who hurt you user?

Not a threat to the mini market but I'm surprised at the lack of 3D printed terrain. Big surfaces to make sanding easy for low cost printers, generic enough for 3D file market

It's out there, there's just not too many files for sale yet. The niche seems to be dungeon terrain; organic shapes that are a bitch to model for a CAD/Zbrush noob.

You two must be shit at searching.

Here's the trick:
>Go to thingiverse: thingiverse.com/
>Search for "28mm", "warhammer" or "wargaming" in combination with "terrain", "props", "scenery" or simliar.
>???
>Profit!

If this doesn't yield good results, try just the first result and work your way through the filters from there.

my african american of the same parentage

>Those teeny tiny arms