What if I just wanna help my other players have fun and save the npcs?

What if I just wanna help my other players have fun and save the npcs?

Why cant I just do that?

Because you're playing a poorly written, or deliberately focussed game system.

I know it's a meme to repeat this at this point, but HAVE YOU TRIED NOT PLAYING DND?

Seriously. There are tabletop games out there that are about more than just hitting stuff until it falls over dead, but people don't even bother to look once they get addicted to the D20 shitshow. Don't play DnD, don't play any games based on DnD, there are systems out there that do what you want better if you just spend like 5 minutes to look.

...then do that?

What system isn't letting you do that?

It's still an untrue meme, user.

For you see, I have played OPs character in D&D. It's super fucking easy to do. Super super fucking easy.

So easy I can't help but conclude that you are a meme poster from /v/ or /a/ who has never actually played D&D.

Yeah, and I can play Minecraft like a first person shooter game, but that doesn't mean it's a good game for the purpose.

Fuck off back to your containment thread where you're nice and safe from anyone criticizing your shiny turd of a system.

It doesn't change the fact that DnD as a game isn't built to accommodate that playstyle. There are numerous other games that do it better. In DnD you're generally a burden to your party if you're not built to kill things the best. DnD is a dungeon-crawling game and 95% of the rule book has to do with combat and combat gear.

There's literally no excuse to use DnD to do what OP wants to do except not knowing how to play anything else, and this is coming from someone who's been playing DnD since Advanced DnD (yes, that's before 3.5).

I'm still not sure what you're saying. D&D is actually pretty good at this particular archetype, some editions 4e even have classes dedicated to supporting and little else.

Although I am happy to hear what system recommendations you have. Its easy to say 'everything is shit reeeee!', but actually giving some constructive advice is far more persuasive most of the time.

>Recommend a system!!!

Literally anything except DnD.

Like, literally ANYTHING. Even the bad games will expand your mindset way more than any DnD clone.

Dungeon World, Magical Burst, Apocalypse World, Savage Worlds, Runequest, Fantasy AGE, 13th Age, Heroquest. Fuck, goddamn MAID RPG is better for what OP wants. The sad part is I'm not even joking.

Play a Bard OP. Most fun support class in any game. In 5e they're broken too, so that's fun.
Don't listen to this guy OP, he just has autism.

>Dungeon World
>Saying that Dungeon World is better than D&D
Opinion discarded to trash.
Dungeon World is marketed toward people who like the idea of a group of friends playing D&D like they saw in their Big Bazinga Theory, but don't want to learn the rules or even be associated with "gaming".

Can you buy those. Anywhere?
Can you compell your group to try it?
The answer is no. So you look for a new group, you don't play for a while and eventually give up.

Dnd is not perfect but it has a stranglehold on the market for a reason. The same reason you're the only person to actually provide alternative games

>bitch literally to no end on any subject even tangentially related to dnd about how it's trash
>whine when people who like it defend it

Kill yourself.

play a life cleric, heavy armor to tank blows, tons of healing spells to keep people alive, and healing as a class feature in case you want to save your spell slots
you can also turn undead to clear a path to safety if you really need to

if you dont mind being a battle ambulance, then go for paladin for sweet lay on hands and blocking attacks with your shield, while smite pre-emptively heals the NPC of all the damage they might have taken

Scene is all entirely in black and white, showing a family with NOT-D&D paraphernalia around them.
>Are you TIRED of not having roleplaying and narrative options?
Family is sitting around a kitchen table, looking bored like they don't know what to do.
>Are you bored of having to deal with EVERY problem that comes up?
The father is moving a miniature square. By square. By square. By square. Each move he looks more and more exasperated.
>Sick of having non-binarial choices with your OVERLY complex die roll?
One of the girls dumps a tub of dice onto the table, then everyone just looks at it, and sits back like they don't know what to do.
>Well now, you don't have to! Introducing dungeon world!
Family is now in full color, and all smiles as they are reading the book
>You can enjoy a simple, streamlined mechanic of DICE ROLLING that you've never seen before, where different numbers mean different things!
Family drops 2d6 on table, and everyone flips out and grimaces, while still somehow smiling
>And never before introduced roleplaying techniques, such as bonds! Which allows a depth of roleplaying NEVER before seen!
Two of the family members are shown shaking hands and smiling
>You too can enjoy dungeon world! Call today!
>Act now, and you can also purchase a supplement that allows you to level past 10! Order now! Our callers are on the line!

>I don't like one option listed, so I'm going to cover my ears and ignore everything else listed.
Even if Dungeon World is bad, even the act of trying it is better than just guzzling down the latest rehash of DnD. The act of trying literally ANYTHING ELSE is a good thing for your roleplaying experience and perspective.

>Can you compel your group to try it.
Um... yes. If you have friends in real life, they should be willing to try something new for the experience of doing it with friends.

Not that user, but if you've ever been to a local game store, yes, they sell stuff that's not DnD *gasp*. It's also like 2017 or something, and google brings up results for everything the user listed, some of them completely for free.

You're not wrong, but you realize you're doomed to get drown out by the DnDrones furiously defending the only thing they know, right?

>Can you buy those. Anywhere?
Yes.
>Can you compell your group to try it?
Yes.

I'm pretty sure there's no actual D&Drones left and we're left with trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls, while people who actually play D&D/PF are posting in their own general.

It's less that DnD is trash and more that the people who like it have to get super defensive over it to the point of making arguments that make no goddamn logical sense in order to maintain that defensiveness.

>not mentioning cWoD games for alternatives
>saying DnD is bad

>Namefag has trash opinions
Like clockwork.

Are you a healslut, whore?

why must every thread turn into DnD vs NotDnD

cant we just get along? i swear you are all as likely to convert a DnD player into a notDnD player, as you yourself can be (re?) converted

we get more tribalistic every day, just answer the OPs question in whatever system you want

DnD now is going through the same thing Pathfinder went through awhile ago. It's natural. A large part of the player base feels let down by the latest version and desperately wants something, anything, to meet their expectations, but there's not a new version of DnD on the horizon any time soon for them to invest their hopes in. Meanwhile the people who like what we've got will like it till the end of time, long after everyone has moved on.

It's literally Pathfinders rise and fall all over again.

Because it's the perfect skub.

And nothing gets Veeky Forums's dick harder than proving their intellectual superiority by "trolling" the opposing camp.