/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/the-dog-days-of-august-sorta-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
How would you kill the Batman?
>5th editons cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

>only old people asce-

Can't use Dante as an example.

see

If you could be any Template.

Would you even pick anything other than Mage?

I don't know man, being Purified sounds pretty fucking awesome.

>being Purified sounds pretty fucking awesome.

Compared to a Thyrsus?

I'd honestly rather be a Purified than either have the Exarchs/Seers after me or bend over for them 24/7.

Really the Pentacle is a bad deal when you realise you actually have to deal with the possibility of getting your shit kicked in by a faction with all the powers you have, who have no qualms about using the, and quite literally have the overlords of creation on their side.

But think of the POWAH

You're going to be stuck with the Exarchs regardless of your choice.
They kind of rule the world, y'know?

Especially if you start using either of those fansplats that turn up every now and again.

Well yeah, but as one of the purified they more consider you part of the flora and fauna, rather than someone who could potentially challenge their throne.

The answer is obvious

This user knows what's up. Purified are the best. Honestly, they are the best major template if you just want an easy life.

Your worst case scenario is forsaken showing up. They are a minority, and probably will fail to kill you for good the first time, letting you just skirt off to somewhere far away from them.

What better way to remind mages they are pussies, than to give them their period?

>Haha! You disgusting, foul witch, watch as I force you to suffer mild discomfort, wasting my action and simultaneously proving that I am no Sleeper, such that you don't have to worry about Hubris when you smack me into the dirt!

Imagine how irritating that must be for a pack of young forsaken. "We killed the creepy claimed thing!"

And then it pops up again next week. And the week after that. And the week after that.

Pretty sure all levels of hunters still count as sleepers.

Roll that hubris baby.

Nah, Hunters with an internal power count as Sleepwalkers.
So sayeth DaveB.

So given that guy's got a babbies first power-stat, he's a Sleepwalker.

I thought DaveB was on the curb now. What does his word have to do with it?

By the raw, still a sleeper. Tell Dave that next time he should write it in a book, or give me his personal line so I can call him with questions.

>implying Purified aren't high up on the Nemesis' shitlist

>not bringing the standard rookies
it's like you've never watched Frankenstein before

"You see those guys? Those incredibly rare guys, birthed through incredible mystic activity who still didn't awaken or through incredible blind luck? The ones who have no mystic powers aside from a few small numina and minor achievements that are ridiculously tiring? Yeah. They're a threat to us, the overlords of Creation."

Or played the old X-com games.

Keep at least 5 rookies between you and anything really nasty.

You just really pissed off a mage (or since it's Hunter, really some "sorcerer-lite) and demonstrated you're a sleepwalker not subject to the Quiescence.

What follows is going to hurt. A LOT.

Death will almost certainly be preferable for what the Hunter will now experience, and he should pray the mage doesn't wipe out his family and friends in a fit of pique.

Actually, does anyone have the purified fansplat that basically gives them oWoD Nomenclature with a few nerfs and makes them a cross between human, spirit and lower depths monstrosity? All I've got is the dodgy one that makes them half spirit/half werewolf instead, with influences.

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of you shitting yourself.

By the way, I feel like whoever was allowed to write these endowments had a bit of a hate boner for mages.

I mean... why would any mage look old in the first place? By that point they should have some Life (or friends that have life) to rejuvenate their body to its peak.

Why ruin a good thing by putting it anywhere near owod?

if fucking Mississippi wins this vote over Ancient Egypt i'm gonna fly my ugly trans ass over to the jolly ole UK and take a shit on DaveB's lawn

Then you thought wrong, guy's still head honcho for all things Mage, he's just taken Deviant onto his plate as well.

Also he was just clarifying the section on Sleepwalkers.
Which you also clearly haven't read.

Sleepwalkers.

If you have a supernatural ability, you're a sleepwalker. It's in the book, no need to quote Dave.

It was a replacement system for influences. I forget the lower depths part, but that was where they went on souldeath, instead of going naptime like normal spirits.

Really?
Assuming average human stats, and given the ability to spend Willpower to increase resistance attributes, you'll need to get 5 successes to stop them from using any powers for even one turn.

Dave's car was run off the road about a month ago. He's been doing writing assignments while in the hospital. Well when he's awake and lucid that is. Morphine is a hell of a drug

My bad, I didn't memorize every aspect of the Mage 2e book. So why bring up Dave at all if it was written in the book?

Sounds like you also didn't remember it was in there.

wut

Benedictions or not, he's still a human. If he's lucky, the mage will only kill him.

Also, Prime 2 (and probably other Shielding spells) should render Benedictions totally useless.

It's bullshit.

Here are Dave's thoughts on Hunters combating Mages

It's not good

>What is reading comprehension?
, the victim still suffers that requisite one turn without powers

The person shooting can also spend willpower, and it automatically gets a +3 equipment bonus to firing it.

So it ain't that bad on whoever is the most shooty person in your squad since it rolls on Dex + Firearms.

And when it really works, you completely ruin a mage's day. Can't exactly just block against it, unless you know in advance it is going to fire sound, and block against sound, deafening yourself.

Yeah but Dave obviously has a Mage boner. He is probably one of the main mage wankers here in some threads.

Benedictions are not equipment that get a bonus.

More importantly, Mage Armors are *reflexive*. Some like Prime would nullify Benediction attacks, and you're actually proposing attacking a mage with firearms or in melee, the armors that allow Defense apply to firearms or ar straight-up armor.

Son, that's advanced armory. It is a technological doodad.

It ignores armor, because it doesn't deal damage. Now if you have something that gives you defense against ranged attacks, that would help, depending on the wording. Because if it is giving defense by reflecting matter away, that wouldn't apply. If it is giving defense by decaying objects thrown at you, that wouldn't apply. It would need to be something that could decrease energy or block soundwaves.

It is only a 'ranged attack' in that it has to be aimed like a gun because the object shooting it is pistol shaped. It isn't a bullet, it isn't a laser, it isn't a grenade. It is a beam of exact frequency of sound.

So yeah, certain mage armor could stop it. Not most of them though, as they get pretty specific on how they are guarding stuff.

-4 dice menses? She's fucking hemorrhaging out of that fucking unshaven, ugly, tick ridden witch cunt!

A lot of it is probably just the shame of sudden onset magical heavy flow.

Should have gone with the extra thick pad.

Dave:
>"Some of the Hunter 1e powers flat-out wouldn't work on rules-as-Mages Awakened"

So which Hunter powers don't work on Mages then?
I'm guessing & are a few.

-4 dice is more than a mild discomfort though. It's not taking you out of action, but it's still a notable inconvenience, especially when there's probably more shit coming your way.

I do hope that Seers of the Throne and Left Handed Path get a second edition printing after SoS.

Oh but you forget user, magewankers always have as many successes as they need, and all the armor up for anything that might slow them down. They never have to actually roll dice, they already did that five days ago when they planned out all their combat encounters and actions for the next month.

Tome of the Pentacle is next after Signs of Sorcery.
Then there's another book, of which we know nothing.

So buy their shit, and then they'll make more.

... I'd rather use those 5 successes to do something else that actually solves the problem.

So. The abyss closes. The seers start their agenda of "We rule everything, fuck you" and take over in two days flat.

What happens to the Lonely Exarch and her children?

His own damn fault. If he had put out the FAQ the fan who did it wouldn't have had to run him off the road to get the fucking answers.

>magewankers always have as many successes as they need, and all the armor up for anything that might slow them down. They never have to actually roll dice,

Mage Armor is reflexive and doesn't require a roll.

All spells only require a single success to activate at full power. Mage 2e doesn't link number of successes with effects.

In canon, mages are paranoid fucks who get along under the presumption of mutually assured destruction. It's not only common, but expected, to have shielding and similar spells up and running day to day. Mages can always drop them without penalty or effort if they need the spell slot. They also don't interfere with inherent mage abilities like Mage Sight.

Do you actually understand Mage 2e rules, or are you just a bitter troll?

Wow, he's starting to lose credibility. When a developer loses sight of the integrity of the gameworld as a whole in favor of myopic focus on his love boner for his personal splat, he's just another shit fan stroking his ego.

This one is my favorite.

There aren't even a lot of powers in this book that actually would help against real mages. But the idea of a bunch of guys screwing up someone's mana source, like a makeshift siege, is hilarious.

They try to set up all their defenses, and realize they are running dry on mana. Once they leave to go figure out a solution to the problem, that's when you strike, hoping to pressure them into a situation where their low mana point is actually a problem.

>Dave
>writing while dosed on morphine

It's definitely time for an Astral Realms 2e!

He's not a bitter troll, clearly.

He's a bitter little Mage-hating turd nugget.
They're naturally pissy.

Pretty much. He has zero credibility in discussions of crossover related issues, because he's somehow developed a partisan mentality towards his own project, rather than having any care for the world as a whole.

Whoa whoa, was a nerve struck somewhere?

I'm sure you can solve the problem by just repeating for half a thread how mages can do no wrong.

I only come here for bitter comments like these.

Most shielding spells and wards don't rely on a stream of mana.

The effort of the ritual would be largely wasted fighting the Awakened who would easily detect the ritual and eradicate the offenders with extreme prejudice, quite possibly using Space and Time from the comfort of their Sanctum.

Get used to it.

Persecution complex. Lovely.

>mages can do no wrong.

Mages are assholes that can certainly do wrong.

However, they have clear written mechanics that are pretty badass, and designed for cosmic-level threats, not monkeys with delusions of grandeur.

I'm pretty sure the exact theme of Mage can be boiled down to 'Monkeys with delusions of grandeur'.

They are guys with a peek into a small piece of the greater cosmos, and they go 'I can control that, and I can win against the evil'

Meanwhile their rivals work for the literal and figurative masters of reality.

It seems that only because of how inept and distant their true foe is, do they win any victories at all.

>He has zero credibility in discussions of crossover related issues,

Besides being the Mage and Deviant developers, Dave is one of the most prolific CofD authors, and has written for every CofD gameline except Hunter. He also helped developed the overall mechanical and setting changes in the CofD for 2e.

Dave simply observes the obvious fact that while CofD mechanics are largely compatible, except when explicitly stated, they are not balanced for crossover play. All balance is internal to a gameline to purposes of setting and narrative consistency. Some splats are just stronger than others. BFD.

>He just recognizes some splats are stronger than others
>Especially the one he writes the most
>And definitely not the one he doesn't write
>He is perfectly objective, and has no bias

Do you know that he has discussed how Deviant will probably be the lowest power level among the splats?

Dave is not a power-gamer, and balks at the mage supremacy discussions as unproductive and entirely missing the point of mage as an independent game.

Making another game that doesn't keep up with his pet game doesn't show that he doesn't have a bias toward mage. It does the opposite of that.

If Dave put out a book to help other splats operate in an open fashion like mage, that would stop talk of his bias. Until then, he is pretty much caught red handed.

I think it would be better for you to just admit that you hate Mage with all your simmering heart.

Let it out, user. Let it go. Let it fly.
It's not healthy for you, clearly.

Huh? I've run three mage games over the years, one of them was a crossover even. I like to include them as background NPC in non-mage games too. Mage is pretty awesome as a setting, and the way the powers are structured is unique. On top of that, the pre-history mage/wolf setting in dark eras was the best in there in my opinion.

I hate how discussion about mages are always met with a brick wall of 'mages don't have to worry about that'. I don't hate mage, I hate mage fans. I love mage.

Mage fans make mage sound like the most boring splat in the game.

Everyone knows that is actually Geist.

Again with the persecution complex. Please, get over it.

Stop hating on Dave. He's practically a godsend within OPP.

Go back to bed Dave.

Yes, but that's kind of like saying a rope made of barbed wire is a godsend when you're drowning in a well of rapidly filling diarrhea. It preserve you, but still hurts.

hunterfag being this butthurt. at least in owod they could claim to be Exalt lite

So what's Malcolm Brookshaw's role in 2e awakening?

Oh no, two Dave's?

Remember when these threads weren't dominated by Magefags?

>chase out the namefags
>threads go to shit

hmmm

Remember how it moves in cycles after each major release?

I have to wonder what Dave's second favourite gameline is.

>tfw you genuinely liked some of the ideas in the draft version of Beast and the "fix" made it boring as fuck but it's okay because another game is stealing the idea of the Devouring for one of their playbooks

Magefags alternating between sucking Dave and powerwanking have turned me off completely from the game.

Reminder that Mage > You

Yeah, me too - it's given me a much greater appreciation for the other 2.0 releases, their internal consistency and overall consistency within the greater scheme of things. I never thought I'd want to play anything BUT Mage or Hunter but now I'm loving the fuck out of Vampire (cept the Strix kind of fall flat for me, I just can't find owls sinister), Werewolf, and even Prometheans - which has been a major turnaround for me from 1.0 to 2.0, it's way less "tranny diary, the game" and now closer to what it should be..

Tell me about them. I was out of gaming during its development, so didn't really follow it, I only came along to see the finished product in all it's shameful ridiculousness.

I wonder how much bullshit could be culled if we turned on posting ids?

Aw, come on.

They don't alternate, so much as desperately try do both at the same time as hard as they can.

>letting retarded fans determine what you enjoy

Your Willpower is practically at zero

If only

God, it would be glorious. Poster IDs are the best goddamn thing for forums like these, they tend to castrate shitheads like these to a large degree.

Man, not even for Veeky Forums as a whole, as it doesn't have huge problems with it. Just the /cofd/ threads. Make it an option for people starting them.

There are a lot of options out there, it's not like dumping Mage is a serious loss, especially given all of the problem players it attracts.

Willpower - 0