You ever run a Metal Gear campaign, Veeky Forums...

You ever run a Metal Gear campaign, Veeky Forums? Was playing MGSV recently and it reminded me of my love for the series and its quirks. There's something to be said for the over the top tone of MGS where everything is played completely seriously and/or explained somehow no matter how over-the-top it is.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C8kZ3HfeqtA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nicknames_of_United_States_Army_divisions
drivethrurpg.com/m/product/169830
pastebin.com/6TmsXP43
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Running something similar right now. The campy nature of the series helps with the inevitable quirkiness pen and papers have. Gurps is a solid system for MGS stuff.

I thought about it, but then I realized I have to think up a whole bunch of political revolutionary talk. I have trouble trying to think of RP dialogue of that nature without going into Deus Ex/redpill territory.

Go full redpill. I would be 100% down to play a /pol/ MGS mashup where the Jews were the patriots.

>Shekel Sloth
>Menorah Mongoose
>Dreidel Dingo
>Hanukkah Hyena

>These Jewish agents are part of a scheme to rule the world. And only Froghound can stop them

Just come up with a bullshit one word theme and base all your political revolutionary talk on that.

I meant, stuff like this
youtube.com/watch?v=C8kZ3HfeqtA

Eh, that's not really the MGS kind of secret political truth. The Patriots have been responsible for pretty much all major conflicts after WWII, and it focuses more on military control rather than civil politics and legislation.

I've asked this in a Metal Gear thread before, but what are some interesting naming conventions for naming special teams?
Just ripping off Foxhounds "Verb or Noun + Animal" gets boring, some ideas I've had was using colours (especially handy since they can have lots of different symbolic meanings) and bodyparts.

What are some other cool sounding things you can use for names or parts of names?

I'm running one atm. It's set in vietnam, and the party are currently fighting a gene supersoldier elf boss in the jungle. It's in GURPS.

What do you want to know?

My campaign's 4-man boss team are named after characters from arthurian legend and are themed around the 4 classic tabletop classes. Oberyn the ranger, Lancelot the fighter, Morgana the mage and Nimue the thief.

Well, you can just about use anything from verb + noun to shit like concepts (The Joy, The Sorrow, The End, etc) or literary and folk talesy stuff like the Beauty and the Beast Unit and what said.

Personally, I want to name an entire unit of baddies after archetypes, like "The Rival," "The Hero," so on.

Dead Cell from MGS2 didn't even have themed names, and one of them was dead before the main game even starts.

When Miller assigns you a code name

Well, Dead Cell had people who were named after shit in reference to their abilities more so than in reference to them as a unit.

It kind of had the theme of being insults/slurs (Fatman, Vamp, the deceased member China Man who wasn't even chinese but vietnamese) but then again Fortune breaks the whole thing.

Well, if you want to get technical about it, since her name is in reference to luck, one could say that it's an insult since it might insinuate that all of her successes are flukes.

You're pretty good. Was having this thought the other day. Was thinking of a Metal Gear/ Cheesy James Bond inspired theme set mid to late 20th century.
GURPS would be great for it. I'd probably experiment with a one shot "go out and gettum" xcom style. Only instead of metal gears I'd probably go more the Bond route and make it some orbital super laser.

Just look to actual military nick names.
In WW2 there was the Soviet "Night Witches"
I'm a fan of Golden Talon and Hell on Wheels myself
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nicknames_of_United_States_Army_divisions

Just a reminder that the best system for running Metal Gear campaigns is, and always will be, Dog Bear.

I don't even know what the fuck that is
But that's definitely not how you spell Savage Worlds

drivethrurpg.com/m/product/169830

Savage Worlds is never the system you want to use for anything. You could technically run anything with it, but why would you? It's boring, even compared to other rules-lite games.

What would be a good system for a campaign where the players have supernatural abilities like Psycho Mantis or Quiet, but still allows for tacticool combat with firearms?

Besides GURPS I mean.

Nah, way too boring with all the bullshit going on.

Also I find the theme of "humanity easily manipulated by a small core of people" to be really disingenuous to the massive clusterfuck that is humanity.

Savage Worlds isn't rules-lite, you goober.

The user literally said "Deus Ex"

He made it really fucking clear what he was referring to with his theoretical game.

And that is completely Metal Gear style. The only thing that doesn't match is the specific theme.

Maybe look into a capeshit system if you want to focus on the superpowered people.
Wild Talents is nice and gritty with both superpowered and not superpowered combat, probably worth checking out.

Sure it is. It's far from a one-page RPG, but it's very bare-bones and lowest-common-denominator as far as its design. It's got no surprises and nothing that leads to unusual experiences at the table.

FATE? "I have a gun with a bunch of tacky mods bolted onto it" is on some level functionally the same as "I have a ridiculous supernatural power based on an article about science that Hideo Kojima skimmed and gravely misunderstood."

>"I have a ridiculous supernatural power based on an article about science that Hideo Kojima skimmed and gravely misunderstood."
I am still not sure if it was just Liquid who misunderstood how genes work (which would be weird considering he's supposed to be a supersoldier genius) or if Kojima genuinely thought that recessive genes equals bad genes and dominant genes equals good genes which is just embarrassingly wrong.

I mean how can a man that almost perfectly predicted the future with MGS2 make such a stupid mistake.

You have to go campy as shit, don't be afraid to go full revolutionary with villains, always have insane impossible situations

Look at Darker Than Black's contractors. I think the British names were Month+Date.

Kojima is a kind of weird idiot savant who makes masterpieces out of his approximate knowledge of science, politics, etc

That is one of like fifty things that someone misunderstood during the creation of Liquid.

I think it has to do with the weird Japanese thing of assigning deeper meaning to completely meaningless metrics.

Like how people with type A blood are supposed to be superior to those with type B, cause A>B.

This is an actual thing that affects job interviews.

He was 100% on the money with a lot of what MGS2 was about though. The ending was basically him predicting the Fake News spiral we're seeing today; an ultraconnected society generates too many 'facts' for anyone to possibly prove or disprove, so all that becomes important is the narrative context one holds.

You haven't even read SW's stealth rules, have you? It's perfect, especially if you're using maps and miniatures.

It doesn't have a special system for stealth; it's resolved exactly the same way as everything else, with a bog-standard skill check.

>I didn't read it
>also how dare a skill-based system resolve something via rolling a skill!
Guards have inactive/active/holy shit they're shooting at you statuses, there's a fuckload of modifiers specifically for sneaking. You're an idiot.

>Adjusting MGS2 so that Dead Cell are each Veeky Forums stereotypes

>Fortune is an alt-right camwhore
>Vamp is exactly the same but a Nazi and if possible even more gay
>FatMan is an autistic nerd virgin who communicates exclusively in memes
>Solidus is a clone of Norman Lincoln Rockwell

>Snake is an oldfag there to expose Google's censorship AI metrics
>Raiden is a redditor, instead of Campbell you just have Zuckerberg communicating through facebook the whole game

This would be hilarious.

>modifiers to perception skill based on what an NPC is doing at the time constitutes a whole separate system and also a genius breakthrough in rpg design

If you're this easily impressed, maybe the idiot is you.

Read a book, kid. Yellow journalism is much older than the internet, and people believing bullshit because they lack the time to verify stories they hear is as old as human communication. Fake news starting wars is as old as war. If anything, we're better equipped than ever before to independently verify news.

I was debating a team of cyborgs with invasive brain modifications. The idea was you can build a perfect soldier's body now so the big area of innovation is in the wetware.

Was going to stick with animals for the sake of familiarity but the first part is a type of death to hint at the identity erosion. For example the surveillance one who's massively interconnected to databases and drone systems was going to be Drowning Owl.

>Read a book, kid. Yellow journalism is much older than the internet, and people believing bullshit because they lack the time to verify stories they hear is as old as human communication. Fake news starting wars is as old as war. If anything, we're better equipped than ever before to independently verify news.

This is the right- the only difference is today's Trumpian government just yells "Fake News" at everything they don't like and say "Everything is Great" instead of staging a proper counter-propaganda campaign like I real government would.

They don't even respect your intelligence enough to properly lie to you.

Stages of Grief, Times of Day, Holiday Mascots, tons of stuff work as codenames. Just use good sounding sets.

Dude, that's a really cool idea. I'd love to hear more.

I want to see an MGS3 where The Fury is Zizek.

In my campaign my BBEG is a mix of Skull Face and Armstrong and instead of creating a metal gear I have them finding a Metroid Prime like creature

Can't forget some of the "bosses" my players will face:
>Olga/quiet hybrid
>Not sundowner with child soldiers included
>Ocelot-likegunslinger

I have no creativity

I dont remember when, but we've had this thread before. I didnt save any images, but i did save the text! commmencing a dump to surpass all dumps!
also ill be posting the stuff i saved.

IN 1908, THE TUNGUSKA EVENT OCCURED.

The Tunguska event was a large explosion that occurred near the Stony Tunguska River, in what is now Krasnoyarsk Krai, Russia, on the morning of June 30, 1908 (N.S.).[1][2] The explosion over the sparsely populated Eastern Siberian Taiga flattened 2,000 km2 (770 sq mi) of forest and caused no known casualties. The cause of the explosion is generally thought to have been a meteor. It is classified as an impact event, even though no impact crater has been found; the meteor is thought to have burst in mid-air at an altitude of 5 to 10 kilometres (3 to 6 miles) rather than hit the surface of the Earth.[3] Different studies have yielded varying estimates of the superbolide's size, on the order of 60 to 190 metres (197 to 623 feet), depending on whether the meteor was a comet or a denser asteroid.[4] It is considered the largest impact event on Earth in recorded history.

BUT WHAT WAS KEPT SECRET FROM THE PUBLIC, WAS THE TRUE HISTORY

My god user, you're right. You're creatively braindead. Get some goddamn ideas.

part2(i will be dumping this in short segments, bear with me)

Russian authorities found peices of the meteorite in the impact region and stored them for study. They would remain nothing more than a scientific curiosity however for almost fifty years, when post world war two Russia would enter into a heated competition with the western United States for which super power would control the future of the world. The study of space, and of space objects, was considered paramount to this endeavor. The Space Race had begun.
Though the Tunguska remains would offer little to Russia in the way of understanding space, a curious discover would be made. Tiny microbials, not native to earth, were found to be still alive within the pockmarked crevasses of the meteorite pieces. This drew the attention of the fifteenth directorate of the Red Army, which had taken control of of Russia's BW, or Bio Weapons program, in 1953. During WW2 Russia had utilized BWs against the invading Germans, using an aerosol dispersed strain of Tularemia, an infectious bacterial disease known to exist in the region and to have been weaponized at the Kirov BW facility prior to the German invasion. Though the Soviet Union would later claim this outbreak was caused by natural events - the spreading of vermin and rot attracted by the destruction and decay of Stalingrads long siege - over 100,000 cases of Tularemia would be reported, leading to a 75% infection rate among Stalingrad's populace and temporarily grinding the German offensive to a halt, buying the Russians much needed time. Following Germany's surrender in August 1945, Russia would officially enter the war in the Pacific and invaded Manchuria three months later, pushing the Japanese out of the region and capturing elements of Japans infamous Unit 731, as well as the results of their research and expertise experimenting on human test subjects.

part 3

Fast forward back to 1952. Russia's BW program was massively expanded, with over ten thousand scientists and researchers working across the country studying ways to weaponize disease and other biological agents. This research would continue unabated in secret even following the 1972 Biological Weapons convention. The most important elements of this research, and the most secret, were undoubtedly the elements of the Tunguska bacterial strain recovered from the remaining elements of the 1908 Tunguska Event.

Soviet scientists discovered the Tunguska strain behaved unlike anything else known among terrestrial microbials. This strange parasitic bacteria adhered itself on a cellular level to the mitochondria of host organisms, remaining in almost perfect stasis otherwise. It merged completely with the hosts cellular structure, reproducing along with new normal cells. When a critical mass point was reached, the cells would metastasize, reproducing rapidly until the hosts biology was completely overwhelmed by a form of highly aggressive cancer. Death could occur in as little as three days. What the Soviets lacked was a way to control it. Experimentation was moved to Sverdlovsk Research Facility, outside what is now Yekaterinburg Russia, where intense efforts were made to find a way to limit or eliminate the bacteria so it could be controlled in a weaponized form.

part 4

What began as inoculation and cure research would quickly take a darker turn as initial experiments would reach limited but intriguing success. Treating the Bacteria like a traditional cancer infection and bombarding it with radiation via Chemoradiotherapy would cause the infection to assume a dormant state, temporarily halting the cancer. Once treatment abated however, affliction would resume. Initially determined to be impractical due to the damage long term radioactive exposure would due to participants (as well as the cost), scientists were shocked to discover long term experimental subjects not only began to resist the affects of radiation, but thrive under it due to mutations at the cellular level - mutations centered around the bacteria and it's infection. More raw data would be necessary, but the 15th Directorate took immediate interest. It was determined it was in the Soviet Unions best interest to pursue further study of this phenomenon by any means necessary, especially considering the looming threat of Nuclear War with the United States. Towards that end, a disaster would be staged.

It was 1979. The United States had beaten the Soviet Union to the moon a decade prior. The Soviet Union had just invaded Afghanistan. In Dhekelia SBA Memorial Hospital, a legend slept fitfully. It was time to test the Tunguska Strain in the wild, on a human populace. Chosen test subject was the city of Sverlovsk itself.

In what would later be framed as a natural outbreak, and much later covered up as an "accidental" leak of "Anthrax", powdered form of the Bacterial Agent was released via the facilities air filtration system into the city at large. Well known Communist Party Boss Boris Yeltsin would be on hand to help with the initial cover up.

part 5

All of the workers of a nearby cermaics plant just across the street fell ill within the next few days. Within a week, over 105 were dead. The agents potency against human lifeforms was now without question, and more importantly the Bacteria's spread in the wild was controlled thanks to preplanned effort by the 15th Directorate. The KGB destroyed all records of the incident and covered it up for the next 20 years. Later, under pressure from the international community, Russia would "admit" that the incident was an "accident" involving "anthrax". The real truth would only ever be known by a few individuals within the 15th.

With the Sverlovsk leak experiment a success, elements within the 15th Directorate pushed the Tunguska BW program forward in an exotic new direction. Though the agent would be useful as a weapon - it's lethality was without question - it's affects could be reproduced and more easily controlled via conventional anthrax. More intriguing to the top brass of the 15th was the resistance to radiation the bacteria seemed to lend it's host - strengthening it to survive in an almost symbiotic fashion, so that the bacteria itself might thrive at a later date. It was hoped that the bacteria might be successfully turned into a sort of 'inoculation' against the radioactive fallout should a Nuclear exchange with the west occur. At that time however, news of the research fell into the lap of The Assembly - a secret fringe of the Russian Philosophers branch that had survived the Philosophers demise over the course of the 1970's at the hands of Zero and the organization which would become The Patriots. The Assembly had previously been involved with Boris Volgin and his son Yevgeny Borisovitch Volgin, aiding them in their efforts to embezzle and conceal the Philosophers Legacy in World War Two. The Assembly would vanish completely, with as little known about them as when they first appeared, with Yevgeny Volgin's 'Death' in 1964.

part 6

Elements of The Assembly infiltrated into the 15th Directorate would discover the Tunguska experiments and use them to pursue their own secretly transhumanist agenda. Though on the surface seeming to be nothing more than another fragment of the defunct Philosophers, The Assembly had a larger dream than the mere control of every political state on the globe - they sought to control the evolution of the human race itself, and saw the Tunguska strain as the means to do it.

The Assembly used it's remaining political and financial clout to gain complete control of the 15th Directorate's experiments with the Tunguska strain. What began as anti-radiation experiments would rapidly shift and grow in scope, from providing a temporary and harmless 'Rad-X' shot, to complete controlled radiation that would produce radiation proof soldiers who were stronger in the process. For the next decade The Assembly would focus it's complete efforts towards this goal, whilst the attention of the worlds other powers would be fixed on the collapse of the Philosophers and the Resurrection of Big Boss.

part 7

By conducting horrific experiments on Russian soldiers as well as test subjects from around the world, The Assembly created for itself an elite team of irradiate commando's, known as Black Star. Each and every member of the Black Star unit, or Chernaya Zvezda Gruppa (CZG) would be created in the cataclysmic fallout of the faked nuclear disaster at Chernobyl NPP, 1986. Chernobyl, it's citizens, and the emergency workers summoned to contain the plants breach would be the sacrifice The Assembly would make to create it's new race of supermen. Exposed to the radiation at the center of the meltdown, the members of the CZG would achieve homeostasis between themselves and the Tungunska bacteria thanks to their permanently irradiated bodies. Thanks to alterations made to the bacteria by the 15th Directorate BW research group, the Bacteria came to not only resist but feed off of nuclear radiation - rendering the CZG not only unharmed and immune to radioactive effects, but safe to interact with conventional humans, as well as a slew of exotic transhuman powers.

I'm going to run a Cyberpunk 2020 game shortly with a lot of influence from Metal Gear, its themes, and its aesthetics/"currently existing technology" sort of thing.

I also remember someone posted a homebrew game once for Metal Gear; I'd put it up, but it's a Word document and I forget if it's any good.

part 8(im done)

The Assembly's plans do not end with the CZG however. Using their unit of 'atomic supermen' as well as the considerable power and money they've gained from selling biological weapons all over the world (including the weaponized Smallpox virus to Iraq in 1990), the Assembly has plans to distribute the modified Tunguska strain all over the world, and whether via political incitement or outright hijacking instigate a massive nuclear exchange which will blanket the globe's major population centers in lethal amounts of radiation. The explosions, fall out, and bacterial outbreak are planned to cause something in the area of 90% fatality rate world wide. However, those that survive will be more than human - a new race, no longer fearful of Nuclear War or the proliferation of Nuclear Arms, no longer bound by the conventions that bound both the Philosophers and the Patriots. Where the other groups of the world have seen Nuclear weapons as a method of deterrent and control, the Assembly see's the full scale forced evolution of the human race. They hope that their new race of supermen will rebuild the irradiated earth, and from it will spring a new Eden, able to reach beyond petty political boundaries, and finally spread the children of Mankind to the stars.

ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STOP THEM?

I did a MGS inspired Only War campaign. It involved Titans. It was a good time.

I don't think you even play RPGs...

I'm actually running a homebrew Pathfinder campaign that borrows a lot of characters from MGS.

The PCs' mentor was Big Boss (mgs5 version), who trains them as part of a mercenary organization. BB ends up being killed by the BBEG and forces the party to be on the run. Most of the main story and various world NPCs know of or have associated with Big Boss at some point, which will play a factor down the line.

My first campaign as a DM so hate me as much as you want for being so original :3

Wait, Big Boss as in Big Boss or as in Venom Snake?

>so original
Kys. It's one thing to steal a concept, it's another to steal someone else's story. You need to play in good games longer if you ever want to run a good game.

Is there an official MGS system out there or is it all homebrewed?

The only official Veeky Forums related Metal Gear thing I know of is Risk: Metal Gear Solid edition, there was an attempt to homebrew a Metal Gear system on here once but it died before it could get interesting, I'll try to find it.

Here it is, got some neat ideas in it I guess.
pastebin.com/6TmsXP43

Liquid wasn't the one (or at least not the only one) who misunderstood how genes work on a basic level. Big Boss was the one who signed off on the project to begin with. The following thoughts must have occurred to him, in order.

>"I need to clone myself because clearly my greatness is due to my genes and not my decades of training and experience as a weird super-spy."
>"Not only that, but I need to make a true-breeding version of myself with all dominant genes to maximize the ways in which his natural offspring will be like me, because what if my clone forgets how cloning works and can't just clone himself again like I did?"
>"Also, let's just gloss over the issue of codominant genes and all the other ways in which genetics is more complicated than they teach you in fifth grade."
>"Oh yeah, and because I'm making this all-dominant clone, I have to also make an all-recessive clone at the same time even though I don't want one and it'll be a huge waste of time and resources."

I guess that's just how you think when nobody's challenged you for over 20 years and you regularly get whatever you want by strapping it to a balloon.

WHATS THAT? POST YOUR COPY PASTA user? OK

What are some interesting philosophical themes I can misinterpret and base my campaigns on?

Platonic Idealism. Rip off that wierd ass anime Reign

Using Anselm's ontological argument to bring things into existence through rhetoric alone. Say you land unarmed on a beach and you want a gun to help you infiltrate a nearby compound. Just define gun X to be the most perfect gun on this beach that can be imagined. A gun that exists is more perfect than a gun that doesn't, and therefore if there were no gun on this beach it would be possible to imagine a more perfect one. Therefore, the gun really exists on the beach. Then just pick it up and go. Almost like Bill & Ted bringing things into existence by promising to go back in time later and put them there.

Here, go nuts.

Literally sarcasm you fuckhead. kYs.

I mean, to be fair, Les Enfants Terrible was before he got his balloon fetish, and I'm actually pretty sure he was kind of forced into it by stolen DNA while he was in a coma.

So, all those thoughts, but instead with Zero going "I have a GREAT idea!"

I've toyed with the idea of running cyberpunk game in the setting of GODZILLA VS BIOLLANTE
And I still think it can be a wonderful thing; it's got cops, assassins, psychics, corperations fighting over an experimental energy source and the horrible monster that grows from it.
If anyone rewatches the movie with a critical eye they can make a fun cheesy campain out of it

Rolled 33, 78 = 111 (2d100)

>modifiers to perception skill
You didn't read it at all...

Why limit it to biolante? That series is all direct sequels from 84 to 95.
And more Saegusa is never a bad thing.

Rolled 15, 70 = 85 (2d100)

Well hello, Launcher tick.

Rolled 95, 14 = 109 (2d100)

Rolling

Writing up Metal Gear Solid styled stuff coming up for my Shadowrun campaign.

Finding converting most of the characters over are workable and rather interesting.

Rolled 64, 1 = 65 (2d100)

Roll

I want you to know that this is a good idea.

>a godzilla game where the players play as humans
Um... maybe as survival horror? Not as action, and definitely not as tactical espionage. It's not like kaiju have secrets.

Rolled 55, 88 = 143 (2d100)

Rolling

The characters in the movies usually either cooperate with the military or fight some human-like faction that may be influencing the monsters.
Sometimes they complete a quest to summon a helper monster.
Other times there's something completely different at stake, like the G-Cells being stolen for illicit research.
It doesn't have to be limited to just trying to survive against an unstoppable force.

Forgot my image

Rolled 88, 49 = 137 (2d100)

Might as well see what I can get for a character I want to make in a futuristic/cyberpunk campaign if I get the chance

Rolled 6, 87 = 93 (2d100)

Machinegun Baboon. Cool

One option that I can think of is to have a music theme, where the operatives are named after anti-war songs.
Could have the unit called Masters of War (Bob Dylan) or War Pigs (Black Sabbath).

An easy one would be literary or historic references such as calling your communications officer Morse Bell (Not my best effort) for Samuel Morse and Alexander Graham Bell.

Rollan'

FUKKIN PHONE

pls delet

My group wanted to try it once and thought GURPS would be a good system to try it with. Upon actually starting to read the gurps rules that idea faded away.

The "Soldier" skill still sticks with me as being so weirdly out of place.

Simple

Come up with a company name and a leader who can control that company. Spout random numbers We used to pay that now we pay this. All because that company did this. And this company did this. How? Well the leader can order this and make it happen.

Literally all you need to pull that kind of stuff off is have company names, have leader names to run the company or who overrule the company in times of need, and numbers or statistics.

Not familar with GURPS, what's the soldier skill?