What's stopping you from playing the one character or character concept that you've always wanted to play or try out...

What's stopping you from playing the one character or character concept that you've always wanted to play or try out but haven't done it?

>Pic related
>Want to try playing a haughty smug noble fencer (Rapier wielding)
>Almost opposite what my personality is, not sure if I'll like
>People I play with always play fighters or melee people so I end up playing mages or healers balance
>Wouldn't mind trying to play this character some day though

Share yours Veeky Forums

Want to play a zen Skeleton who makes fun of other undead and tells people to wear practical weapons/armor

My dungeon mistress won't let me play an ork.

>Ork who is obsessed with magic
>Too stupid to learn magic
>No natural affinity for magic
>Instead collects magic items and uses them so he can be a "propa wuzzart"

Forever DM here, so I don't think I will get to play this one, plus is not a character any party will like to have.

>Paladin of Vengance or something similar
>Thinks everyone needs to see the true good, his good
>Walk with a symbol of his god as weapon and a "bible" with his teachings to smash people with it
>Maybe he is the first believer of Jesus Christ or something similar
>Shouts like a motherfucker but don't kill people, just turn them over to his side

>"YOUR SINS WILL BE FORGIVEN IF YOU BELIEVE IN THE ONE TRUE GOD"
>"Ok, don't kill me please"
>SMASH THE BIBLE IN HIS HEAD
>"THIS IS ONLY THE START OF YOUR LIFE SON, NOW YOUR NAME IS URIENS"

That's sounds interesting. What's stopping you from playing it?

That'd actually make for a fun character, especially if there is a real wizard in the party. Just give the Orc a wand of magic missiles!

That would make for a fun campaign. Maybe have the whole party be following this with you possibly as the "leader" like Simon-Peter was in the Bible after Jesus died. Would make for an interesting campaign.

No one wants to let me play an undead.

Even an extremely practical one.

Drow are my favorite race, and I have half a dozen drow character concepts that I've been dying to play over the years. Unfortunately, most DMs have a blanket ban on them because they think every drow PC is a Drizzt clone, or they don't want to deal with the social backlash a drow PC would get from townspeople and NPC and whatnot.

I'd also love to play a firbolg from Volo's, but their size makes them difficult to throw into campaigns. Hard to do a dungeon crawl campaign or stealth missions when one party member is 9' tall.

I'm the only GM that can run a game for more than five sessions before getting bored, running out of plot, or otherwise ending the campaign. The vast majority of "games" we've played have been 1 or 2 sessions long. I am forever GM not because other players don't run, but because they don't run for long enough. Just when I begin to get attached to my character, they are taken away from me.

Recently I've been doing more recurring NPC's when I'm running and I've gotten more attached to them. I'm worried they might turn into DMPC's if this keeps up.

That really sucks. It really is practical would be an interesting character to have in a party.

It's unfortunate with all the negative views on Drow from that one character. I know some DMs that will overlook stuff like that and allow it but others that once you say Drow they say no. Drow can be tricky but can also bring an interesting dynamic to the party.
Firbolgs can be hard to fit into a campaign but they'd be perfect for a campaign that involves giants or Goliaths in it!

That's really unfortunate. I ran a short campaign while my friend was planning his campaign and had DMPC. My players didn't mind I introduced the DMPC to be kinda of a guide and to fill the healer role. As long as your NPC can mesh with the party and have a valid reason for being with them (filling a role etc) then I don't see the problem in have 1 reoccurring NPC become a DMPC. Then at the very least you'll sort of have a character which will last longer than a few sessions.

Lack of players and even greater lack of GMs that are not me.

I want to play a Kobold who learns that true valor isn't in shiny armor and a big sword, but in strength of character and the courage to do what's right. But my GM has a blanket ban on any race that is considered a monster encounter. (Orcs, kobolds, goblins, ect..)

Literally all of them as I never have chances to be a player character and am usually stuck as the GM in the blue moon I can get my friends together for one day every other week

A British WWI pilot who is captured and tortured for months escapes, only to succumb to the elements.

He makes a deal with a strange entity who returns him, deathless, to the world of men. The entity is a wendigo, or some sort of personification of feral hunger, and possess him with a ravenous hunger for souls. He is torn between his morality as a man, and a supernatural hunger. He's basically a soul vampire, but I like the idea of victims being violently consumed rather than just grazed on.

I can never seem to find a DM willing or able to run Black Crusade.

I heard that such games often have infighting, so after a little while thinking about what character would be best to play I came up with the idea for a Slaaneshi who is obsessed with helping other people to achieve their dreams and experience new things, living vicariously through them while urging them on to further extremes and making them more and more indebted for the assistance.

>a blanket ban on orks

Tell your dm that some stranger on the internet said he was a bad dm.
Fucking seriously.

B-but Gygax said...

It's like you're me before last week. I just gave up on them getting together a bit ago and started running a game were they're not a proper party and only occasionally meet up when the operation demands (when the stars align and multiple of them are free and want to play). They have yet to meet each other.

Damn that would actually be a sweet character. Really sucks that your GM has a ban like that. Anyway to convince them otherwise?

A scrappy fun comic relief character meant to make everyone laugh.

The problem is everyone else is so bad that every single time my character needs to push the story along alone dragging everyone else with it.

There is literally no reason that character needs to be a kobold

A Martial Werewolf character who's a warlord of sorts with a "Reign the night" objective, settings that can have such character werewolves are shit

I played literally this, but mute and a cute boy.

He got sold into rape by his party members.

Twice.

Pretty hot if he was a trap.

Forever DM.

A cute boy?

I would play her a being pretty loud to make sure everyone knows how great she is.

That's pretty rough, kinda shitty for the party to do that.

Your GM is a piece of shit.

I want to play a "katana coolguy" type character so hard.

Just bisecting tanks with a single vertical slash, cutting through dimensions and teleporting behind enemies.

>Tells people to wear practical weapons/armor
yes

I don't have any friends that play.

>tfw
>play through out highschool
>friends move away for college
>still play some games when ever we can get together online
>now they all have jobs and lives
i miss friends

A skeleton that *dies*partway through. The party uses their bones as weapons and armour, per the skelly's *dying* wish.

Is that your fetish user?

I wanna play a non-evil necromatic bard that controls his undead through his instrument like a fancy snake charmer

I got to play him for 1 session at like level 4 before having any necromatic stuff.

The only system I know of that its possible in is 5e. This is because bards gain spells from any class at level 10, 14 and 18, additionally level 6 if the college of lore is taken. I really only need about 3 spells from other classes and then I would be able to raise an army of zombie/skeletons/mummies,ghouls and the like.

I've thought about that concept too. Would be fun to try it out but doesn't full work until after a bit of leveling

You could do it in just about any non-class based system.

You could just fluff your necromancer as a bard even in class-based systems. It's really easier to get sonic spells on a "wizard" than necromancy on a "bard".

Even beyond that, I actually remember (shitty) options existing for it in 3.x.

I want to play a god, or a demigod. As soon as you use either word, GMs instantly recoil expecting overpowered bullshit.

I just want to be raiden from mortal kombat yo.

I always wanted to play a spellcaster. Can't because DMs can't run spellcasting. e.g. "I cast magic missile" "What does that spell do?" "1d4+1 damage per missile." "The gods forbade it." "What?" "Alright, time's up. Your turn's over."

I have a burning desire to make a halfling evocation wizard that absolutely loves causing massive amount of destruction and otherwise ignores support spells.

Unfortunately there are always reasons why I can't. One, evocation sucks outside of MAYBE 5e. Two, I'm forever GM. Three, my players will know exactly who I'm basing it off of.

I've always wanted to play the ''martial artist who wants to be the best'' type but I just haven't been in a campaign where it would fit and a character like that doesn't really fit into a team game like DND, also my usual DM doesn't really care for the subject of martial arts so it wouldn't really work.

What. That's a shitty DM

But Megumin explosion is best explosion.

You could always reflavour a monk?

>You could always reflavour a monk?
It's not a mechanical problem, it's just that I don't play in a game where it would fit the party.

A Tzimisce. Has never come up because the one game of VtM I've been in had a Camarilla only restriction.

Ah that's unfortunate then

Orc Private Investigator.
(No Shadowrun groups around here)
Smuggler - Star Wars
(No Star Wars Groups)

>want to play exalted
>want to make a wrestle jesus Zenith
>but no games

Oh I know exactly what you mean I've wanted to try Call of Cthulu, Star Wars, and Shadowrun for a while but no one around where I live play

trash concept only fitting for the worst of animes, no wonder you've never found an opportunity to play it.

F

I've even seen the anime before. I didn't even know this character was from RWBY until I looked for more pictures of her. I just like the design of how the character looks that's it.

Something like pic related?

>Female
>Genasi
>Hexblade
>dual rapiers
>homebrew patron

it's too magical realm

Any game where I play a character I've always wanted to play invariably dies, and every game where I try to play something I wouldn't usually play lasts the longest.

I want to play a person, maybe an ex-Paladin, who hated the Undead so much, to such an unending degree, that when confronted with the fact that they didn't have enough time to kill all the Undead before they died, that they decided to become Undead themselves, to have enough time to kill them all, to eventually end the menace.

I want to play someone highly physically competent.
I usually go for the joke character, or the squishy young character, or the incredibly-specific-skill character, etc etc.

Whenever it's my turn to save the day, it's because I compulsively stole half the shit in the last shop without even realizing that I did it, or because I seduced an NPC, or something.

I want to be the one who leaps into a giant serpent's mouth and cuts it open from the inside using nothing but badassery and muscles.

But that's never me. I don't know if I'm capable of playing that. I think the problem I usually run into is that I find it hard to think about playing that straight, because it's such an old and un-nuanced trope. But I still want to try...

>54649743
never* whoops

That would make for some interesting role playing

That's kinda similar to me I'm not to flaunt myself or my abilities which is why it's so not like but would be some to try once. ttrpgs allow yourself be someone you never would be normally which can add another layer of fun to it!

>I want to play a Kobold who learns that true valor isn't in shiny armor and a big sword, but in strength of character and the courage to do what's right.
Just rewrite it into 'I want to play a peasant who learns that true valor isn't...' and you're good. Being a kobold brings fucking nothing to that concept, as far as I can see.

>
I'm stuck as a ForeverGM and introduced my friends to the game, so I haven't had the liberty to be a PC. One of my players bought Storm King's Thunder and plans to run it with me being one of the players.

I'm ecstatic and torn between two character concepts ranging from a young Tiefling bard by the name of Valor who is just adventuring to have her name by spread across the world, so that she may never die. Overall, I was thinking of having her be a crossbow user or studying the college of blades.

The one that I have practically settled on is a Triton Paladin who is married with kids. Originally he was planned to be a retire soldier, I decided to have him commit a crime against his people and be exiled above water with the "Drowners up there."

The idea of having a grizzled, angry Triton dealing with his exile and this alien world is incredibly exciting. I planned for him to slowly go from angry to coping and seeking redemption for his crime, causing him to take up an Oath of Redemption around level 3. Until then, he's going to be fascinated with crossbows and how they work.

I have a few months and need to figure out what I want his crime to be.

>Local man feels motivated

Sybiote Summoner Vigilante magical girl. Reason I haven't: its dumb as fuck

A lack of a GM that knows the setting a 1/10 of how much I do, a problem with game systems (we'd probably need something like a heavily customized FATE), and most oddly the fact that I kinda have most of the story moments I'd like to play in my head - and they would be played THAT way.

>basically if anything I should do some heavily GM-fiat NPC, stealing PCs spotlights, and that's not okay, even if I probably coul make them go along with me

Just act like you're doing it ironically.

I want to play a rogue trader campaign but none of my DnD group knows what 40k is and the only guy I know who's into 40k hasn't even played the tabletop game in years

If I ever did get to play it though I'd probably go with a sarcastic up beat gaurdsman who likes to complain, basically Ray from Generation Kill

That character is a support caster masquerading as a fencer, so literally just play a Cleric whose god has favored weapon: rapier with like zero Con, max Dex, and like, trash Cha.

>implying weiss isn't best girl

I want to play a character that blends magic and might in a modern setting.
I've decided that the only way I'm going to be able to play that is if I make the setting myself, which I'm doing. I think I'll wait until Genesys is out and then add a magic system to the modern setting rules.

>needs
There's that word, again.

Her nigh-murderous lack of empathy, social autism, and brattiness is precisely why she is best girl user

>I want to play a character that blends magic and might in a modern setting

Mutants and Masterminds!

Or Unknown Armies

M&M would probably work, if I can manage to keep the power right.
Unknown Armies Triggers the fuck out of my schizophrenia and I can't play it

As I said earlier I know literally nothing about the character. I just like the art and how she looks.

I laugh every time I see this because it's legitimately impressive.

>As I said earlier I know literally nothing about the character

Neither do the show's writers

I got to play the eastern European drow character. My friends think it's one of the best characters I've played.

Oh man I have a whole list.

>Happy go lucky Necromancer.
>Denied because Necromancers "are broken".
>Changling
>GM doesn't want to deal with shapeshifters.
>Werewolf
>See above.
>Lawful Evil monk.
>Playing a Monk would just bring the party down.
>GM wants someone in party to play Cleric.
>Can I be a Cleric of this god?
>No we need a healer.
>Want to play a Ranger
>Animal companions are to complicated.

That Gm only really allowed powerful mage classes to be played, banned any cohorts / animal companions / summons because he thought turns took to long with them, and forced two people every game to play a "tank and healer" cause we absolutely needed them.

Eventually I just stopped playing with him, but we're still friends so it's awkward now.

I can't even do that because I'm forever DM/don1t play any games where it really works.

I played a happy-go-lucky Necromancer once

her mental state and moral code began to fray over time, due to being a cleric of the god of Tragedy, and happening to roll many UNFORTUNATE crits with her spells, or having commands to her undead not play out as intended

resulted in a fun as hell party dynamic, but the DM limited me to ONE skeleton elephant (I set up curtains and pillows inside it's ribcage and made it my mount

>Changeling with no sense of self
>Can fully change its appearance to mimic any person it has ingested fluids from, but it runs the risk of becoming a perfect replica of that individual and losing track of who it really is
>Very naive and gentle, also very frail so it's absolutely fucked if it ever gets exposed for what it is
Can't play it because it's too unique and game breaking. But it would make socially oriented missions really fun.

A true heroic character like All Might.

Too bad it would never fit in any group or in any game.

Play a Supers game.
Hell, there are people out there playing literally Hero Academia games.

>a character like that doesn't really fit into a team game like DND
why not just make your intentions to learn from the party (on the path to becoming the best) or maybe try and become the leader of the party (because you believe you are the best)?
you could also just play a non-monk and just use your fists, feet and grappling and imply martial arts with how you play as the character

So polar opposite of me - I forbidden all humanish and cliché fantasy races in my game. (Well monster race game I run. In my other game all races are allowed)

Also this guy sounds like a dick

I just want to stop being forever DM

I have a full freaking graveyard of characters that never got to shine

I want to play a strong, silent type. Some dude who's tall, broad, and barely ever speaks, but when he does, his words have real gravity. Can't ever do it because I play with two girls with crippling anxiety issues, an introverted That Guy, and a narcissist who Loves terrible gimmick characters. Basically, one other guy and I carry the group as far as roleplay and interaction are concerned.

Same here. Mine is do full that I started ruling out that all NPC's follow same rules as PCs and started using some of them as enemies, good or even neutral npcs....
Worst part is - my players actually enjoy all these weird people....

lol, I played a fire mage in pathfinder and completely wiped everyone. The only thing that could stop us was a great term when we are level 8....

>Weiss
Patrician taste. Been thinking of playing a weiss-inspired character in my next 5e game (Via Fighter/Eldritch Knight and the Noble background) but like most games I don't GM personally it looks unlikely to get off the ground.

Which is what stops most of my concepts -- being stuck as the only GM who can keep a campaign going. Probably the biggest "stuck" is
>Been sitting on this idea since fairly early 3e and the FRCS
>LN Cleric of Bane; yes in a generally heroic party
>Used to be a Cleric of Mystra but ultimately lost faith following her recent death and replacement.
>Then Bane, who died about the same time as Mystra, came back
>That's godly power.
>Power worth serving, unlike the little girl walking around with Mystra's mantle
>And a strong Lawful that dead Mystra had but NuMystra lost
>Serve no one but Bane!
Of course
>Tried RPing the character for so much as a prelim session. Was pretty fun, working with Bane's philosophy as a nonevil cleric
>But of course nothing I'm not GMing goes for seconds
>And we don't play in Forgotten Realms much, even when we play D&D
>And the Realms timeline has moved on so I'm pretty sure the character would have to be an elf if I played him at any sort of 'modern' table.
>Or I could drop the lost&Found faith background but I feel like that loses a good bit from the character.

The fact that he is a murderhobo deluxe and can't into group dynamics.

I want to play as a fucking fox girl wizard, I could use charisma and charm whenever to get shit I want for my party.
Focused on lighting spells and electricity in general but have some more shit.
Is absolutely fucking jealous of everyone who has it better than her like some fucking princess who got used to being over everyone but doesn't let it take her away from party's goal.
It's simple, but I have much more character traits and flaws to show off.
But I don't do that because im terrible at acting, it's not a problem unless charming comes in play.

Fuck you Kamil, next time you bring your gf without telling us earlier I'm gonna beat your ass with a shoehorn.
I think I'm gonna do it next campaign anyway because fuck, i have to try one day.

>a haughty smug noble fencer

I'm usually a rather quiet, risk-averse guy, but one of my characters was a ruthless, decisive inquisitor. I just liked the class in Pathfinder. He'd bust down doors and follow his nose and guts, no matter who he pissed off in the process or how flimsy the evidence (because there's no time for due process when a world-devouring entity slowly creeps into the world and sows corruption everywhere). And he pissed off a lot of people and soured lots of relationships, although he was most often justified, as it turned out. Playing this guy and being constantly forced to be decisive, make a stand and take responsibility actually helped me become a more confident person in real life. Now I always play assertive characters and leader types, even though I'd describe myself as anything but (but getting better).

>mfw pen and paper is literal therapy

Why use a shoehorn to beat someone? Most of them seem fairly light and flimsy. Why not just use a shoe?

I want to play something that fights with tons and tons and TONS of minions, but that turns games into a goddamn crawl

just make him interested in one of the party members, sees his potential and decides to follow/protect him until lvl 20

I'm always the DM.

I just want to play a mythical hero like Hercules or something, but all my friends think it's dumb for some reason.

Another snag would be that Hisoka dwarfs everyone in terms of power, with only a select few that could be equal power to him.

I want to play a warforged paladin that was created to replace her inventor's daughter who passed away before campaign. Inventor doesn't feel like his daughter is back, so she sees that he js troubled and tries to figure out a solution. The warforged comes up with the idea that believes that if she believes in a god and spreads their ideals, they'll turn her human. My DM was going to allow this and even had ideas to help me expand her as a character, but my party thought it was dumb/went mostly frontline, so I was forced to go sorc/wiz.