QTDDTOT

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

I want to run a campaign where the PCs start on a spacecraft sent to colonize a new planet. PCs will face challenges due to the disrepair of the vessel, the tragedy of loss upon arriving on the new world (not everyone makes it), surviving on a harsh new planet (hunger, thirst, dangerous wildlife), as well as facing colonists who landed in different areas and formed their own tribes to compete for meager resources.

What system should I use? Am I going to have to home brew something?

Also I'm open to suggestions for specific things (planet environment, NPCs, weapons, lore). I have the big idea, I'm fleshing out the details now.

Other urls found in this thread:

paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/coreRulebook/gettingStarted.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fragged Empire has a lot of what you're looking for, along with a lot of customisation options for gear and weaponry. It's not setting agnostic though, so that might be a problem.

Well, d20 Future covers all of those things if you want to run that.

Another QTDDTOT: I'm getting railroaded pretty hard by my GM. We're playing nWoD as humans. Both sessions have followed the same pattern so far. First, we're stuck somewhere. We began in a prison, and are now in hiding out in the country. Second, there's always a reason to disarm us. Our first combat took place in the prison shower room ffs. It doesn't help that only one person has brawl points. And finally, everyone's broke. Nobody can use their resources since we don't have any of our stuff. The only vehicle belongs to the guy that broke us out of prison.

To sum it up
>Known felons
>No money
>Learned that vampires exist like a day ago
> No knowledge of other supernatural beings
>Guy that saved us keeps making us give the weapons back, just before a vampire shows up

How do I get control of my character back?

Traveller is what you want, user.

You're playing a game that has copious rules for non-combat ways to resolve conflict. Use them.

All of our fights have been against crazed vampires (but not frenzied, thank fuck) or crazed vampire servants

>No resources

It sounds like a lot of the non-combat resolution mechanics are inaccessible as well, barring basic conversation rolls.

How do you make a rotating DM group work? Seems like half of them don't want to actually DM but theye are the ones most insistent on this rotating GM thing.

All he's mentioning is his lack of weapons and brawl points.

You don't need resources to talk and plan.

We're literally wearing borrowed clothing and wielding borrowed weapons (which the guy who broke us out doesn't want us to have unless we're training with them)

Sounds like a prison break campaign, yeah. So get improvising. If you don't want your seat, I think this sounds great. Give me the DM's contact info.

I want the campaign. I don't want to be in a spot where the NPC sheltering me calls the police because I didn't want to punch a vampire the day after punching a vampire almost got me killed

More pictures like this?

>I didn't want to punch a vampire the day after punching a vampire almost got me killed
Sounds like you're being trained the hard way. Man up. Accept the possibility of death. You're not playing World of Equestria, user.

We did a pretty good job with three of us - two regular, one occasional - GM playing Unhallowed Metropolis.

A couple of things I learnt from it, there should be some sort of cohesive narrative, even if its only vague. Something like an organisation they belong to, otherwise you end up with "You all receive a letter" being the opening sentence of the scenario.

Having a few consistent NPCs is a must, you don't want to reinvent the wheel each time someone needs to get information from Organisation X, have a few notes on the NPC that the GMs can access.

Lastly, try to remember hat actually happened last scenario. If part of a city is in ruins, it should still be ruined a week later.

As for actually getting people to GM, can't really help you there. My group is pretty stable, and open about complaints, criticism, and requests. You can't force people to GM, and if they're the ones suggesting it, ask them to find out what their deal is.

It's from my "I don't want to be in your stupid group text" folder. Whenever I get roped into a stupid group text I just send these photos until they move the conversation. Here, have another.

I'm gonna need you to dump that folder, user.

This is the perfect question for a thread. There is 0 need for consolidating Veeky Forums related questions.

TRAVELLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER

TRAVELLLER HAS EVERYTHING THAT YOU NEED

PLANET CREATION
PLANET CULTURE
PLANET WILDLIFE

USE TRAVELLER

I run a fairly lethal game, mechanically. Recently, I've been joined by a guy who is a good guy, pays attention, roleplays, but simply cannot get into tactics or building a character. I'm not talking "oh, he doesn't minmax", I'm talking a guy who picks a race that gives up an enormous amount of stuff to be able to have essentailly controllable lycanthropy and then never once turns into his animal form, despite how powerful it is and how useful it would be on several occasions.

Yelling aside, this user has a point.

Ask him why he doesn't become a wolf-man.

Here's another.

They can't be funny enough to entice people, and just disturbing enough to put people off.

(Boar man, but whatever). And I have. He just kind of sheepishly shrugs and says that it doesn't occur to him until it's too late to do so.

Why can't you just be a normal person and ask not to be put into group texts?

Sure, have a wall.

>What weapons would be suited to a short, stocky (think dwarves) race with four arms (in a fairly flexible over-under configuration)?

>How about winged humanoids?

>Would an explosive charge on the end of a pike, assuming one was reliably able to get within effective range, be an effective means of cracking open WW1 tank armour?

>What are the limits of clockwork automata? How complicated can clockwork become before it starts running into inherent-to-the-craft brick walls? Can it actually be useful?

>Do rivers run near/from active volcanoes? How about the cool pacific ones where you can see the magma bubbling inside?

>How plausible would the following be, from a historical and heroic-fantasy lens; a people who live entirely in a continental network of double-wide canals and rivers, with great flotilla convoys of houseboats containing up to 150 people in total - they survive by buying and selling goods at a profit which provides their requirements?

>The setting is an undead-powered utopia. How are the undead organised and managed? Who tells them what jobs to do, and what prevents one dickass from telling them all to go dig holes in the desert?

>Insectoid dragons: y/n?

Bump That Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread

>Asks me why I can't be normal
>on Veeky Forums

Because they don't listen. And this is more fun.

truly it was a question that didnt deserve a thread

Q1 Picks or clubs if they are staves would be neat too a creature like that could hold two two-handed weapons so why not take advantage of it. more simple minded, could just use clubs or you could even go with brass knuckles or something like that for a bouncer vibe.

For winged creatures I like weapons that flow and look sexy like falchions or scimitars. Or maybe go Oriental with kamas.

Q2 not sure, try thermite instead

Q3 in a fantasy setting clockwork can become as complex as you like think elder scrolls with the clockwork City or dwemer ruins.

Q4 seems very plausible many cultures irl survived on their trading capabilities rather than their own self sustainability. It'd be neat to see a culture that developed in such a way. I'm sure they'd be excellent at haggling.

Q5 undead Utopia, could be managed by necromancers so really it would be a civilization of necromancers who use undead to farm/manage infrastructure of the city. Or you could go with the idea the undead are sentient and manage themselves in a pecking order based on rank and age. I'm thinking something like the scourge from WoW with less evil and more "we are normal people, we just happen to have died once already."

Q6 insectoid dragon sounds cool, but why and how did they come about is what you should ask yourself.

which game has the best combat mechanic?

>quick
>realistic, or at least explainable in the game's setting
>not overly math heavy

I need new 5e characters for groups consisting of:
me and wild sorcerer
me, fiendlock and bladesinger wizard

In first group, my character died, in second i used so shitty build it is practically useless and i consider rerolling. Strong emphasis on combat.

>How about winged humanoids?
pic related

I have the opposite.

Great player, invested in the game, throws his all into it, always ends up powergaming inadvertantly.

I think he's just trying to keep pace with what he expects the rest of the party to be, but he always ends up breaking the game.

Are you asking for help? I'm going to assume you're asking for help.

Keep the other players relevant in their roles. If your powergamer dominates in combat, throw more at him to keep it challenging, but offer plenty of challenging things for your other characters as well. Example: if another player in the party is good at subterfuge, maybe throw in a corrupt political campaign that the PCs have to help win.

bump

Road Warrior skirmish game that uses modified Hot Wheels cars. Yea or nay?

YES.

How do I git gud at being a DM?

Learn to speak to your players, and learn how to get them to actually open up about what they want and like.

Despite Veeky Forums's badwrongfun reee philosophy, all a group needs to do to have a good game is to make sure they're playing something everyone is interested in playing. Session 0, postgame feedback, collaborative worldbuilding, it's all good shit.

I have one that is pretty stupid.

I have only ever played 5e, and I am interested in getting to Pathfinder and DMing a PF game for my group. I looked up the book assuming there wouldn't be a ton... I was wrong. To put it simply, where do y'all recommend I start? Is there a true order to these books that I am just missing?

So far I have been relying on this for base info: paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/coreRulebook/gettingStarted.html

Start with the core rulebook. Don't be I intimidated, most of the book is fluff. Character creation and skills is where you'll want to start.