LFG Thread: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Edition

Hey! Looking for people who want to play Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Second Edition.

The world of grimdark and complex tax codes where characters die from fudging an agility roll to mount a horse. It's beautiful! Lemme know if you're interested.

I'm on the Eastcoast, and my preference is for a game on the weekends, but I'm flexible.

Also, I'm not the greatest GM, but I'm pretty sure I could do it if called upon. However, if you're a better GM, let me know.

Other urls found in this thread:

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/84999/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-2e
discord.gg/JWpMsS
windsofchaos.com/wp-content/uploads/encroachment/expanded-characters-module.pdf
discordapp.com/channels/342341019775533056/342341019775533056
discord.gg/xTGSZbU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

shameless self-bump

What medium are you playing on? I am also East Coast, and pic related is my collection.

Not OP but super jealous of your collection. I have scoured every gaming store in my metro area and have found zero 2e books

Roll20 - Discord for Voice-Chat.

Am OP and also super jealous.

I just have them all downloaded.

Drop me a line herE:

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/84999/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-2e

Did you ever want to play a bad hack?

Hack of what?

Maybe it's only me, but my interest in Warhammer Fantasy is playing in the world, not the rules. In fact I'd much rather use several other systems than the WFRP 1e or 2e rules.

Same.

By the way, if you drop me a line, mention you're from the thread.

>By the way, if you drop me a line, mention you're from the thread.
Done and done.

I'll get around to it tomorrow. I forgot to check back here and I'm currently laying in bed.

I'm a perma GM for this system and would love to play if possible.

done, how are you selecting from your applicants?

PMing people and getting a sense of what they want to play -- seeing if we mesh. There's one total noob who I'm just kinda... convinced by his earnestness.

My only big beefs with how people typically run the game are two-fold:

1. I think all parties should be at least 50% human, given that we're dicking around in the Empire.

2. No elves. Most people never play them right, and they're a bit OP in 2e.

Other than that, some red flags are stuff like people saying they want to play "bad ass witch hunters" or "powerful knights/warrior-priests." I asked for character concepts mostly to get a sense of the player -- I was going to encourage people to randomly roll their characters anyway.

(Also I may have accidentally invited someone while trying to reply because this is my first time using Roll20 for a public listing).

Yo! I'm Perma-GM for my group of real-life friends. If you wanna GM this, you're a life-saver.

>1. I think all parties should be at least 50% human, given that we're dicking around in the Empire.
>2. No elves. Most people never play them right, and they're a bit OP in 2e.

Love. It.

You should be discussing this over a Discord channel you noobs

Any popular house rules for this?

My group buffs gunpowder weapons quite a bit, and uses tweaks to the best quality weapons.

I guess a channel couldn't hurt? For general discussion perhaps.

discord.gg/JWpMsS

I am just starting WHFR with a few friends and was wondering; how does 2nd edition compare to FFGs 3d?

It fits the universe a lot better. 3E is a lot less grim and more high fantasy, it also involves a lot of tokens and cards and such

it compares by taking a shit over 3rd... Trust me and most likely everyone here... the 3e RPG is best forgotten. It tried to follow in the same vein of D&D 4th edition, if you know anything about that trainwreck

Use this expanded chargen module:

windsofchaos.com/wp-content/uploads/encroachment/expanded-characters-module.pdf

Basically it's a random character generation rolling list. It has the option of rolling a d100 on a demographic table. 01-07 is a dwarf, 08 elf, 09-15 halfling and all other rolls are human.

>uses discord
>calls people noobs

I want nu/v/ to go

Are you starting right from basic 1st career, with no modifications to basic attributes?

If so it's gonna be a bad time. 2/3rds chance of failure on every roll isn't fun; even if you want a grimdark comedy of errors, it's more frustrating than anything, both to play and especially to run.

I am really annoyed that Fantasy Flight fucked up their big Career Compendium. All I want is a proper series of tables that cover all the careers that came out, that can correctly list their entrances and exits. Not too much to ask, but then again neither is 'publish the proper errated version of the core book that was already made and printed by the real authors instead of grabbing the first printing, sticking an additional page in there with your ugly logo on it, throw it up on DriveThru and calling it a day'.

Couple of suggestions to mitigate this:

1. Fail forward-style rolling to ensure that the game stays interesting rather than grinding to a halt. (REEEEEE STORYGAMES)

2. Having appropriate equipment adds +10% to a roll.

3. Remember that routine skill tests add +10%. Tell the players how they can make a skill test easier or harder.

3e is great and does a pretty terrific job capturing the setting, it just has a more modern bent to it by trying to make PC's a little less disposable and actually able to accomplish basic tasks. It is just a very non-traditional design and it turned a lot of people off.

Posting in the hopes that there is someone in Australia who wants to play WFRP at the tabletop.

3ed was basically FFG's practice run to help them work the kinks out of the storyteller dice system they use for Star Wars. By and large, it's considered a bad idea to use it - if only because 1ed and 2ed splats are interchangeable with very little work.

Almost all of 2e fluff is usable for 3e as are adventures. The only thing that don't work is the careers, but 3e covers the vast majority.

>Fluff

>only thing that don't work is the careers,
And anything that has been statted. Like characters, monsters, the magic system, pretty much everything in Tome of Corruption and Nights Dark Masters that ISN'T fluff.

You lose a lot more than you gain in 3ed. If you really want to turn WFRP into heroic level fantasy, either give your players a few advancements to start with, use Fate points in a similar way to the FATE system, or give them the Obsession ability from UA.

If you're familar enough with the system, eyeballing any characters or monsters isn't that terrible. I ran several 1st and 2nd edition adventures in 3e and they worked just fine.

I think you overestimate how "heroic" 3e is, I've still seen players die from diseases or even just get a wound that festered and got worse and killed him. Sure you got a few wounds so you don't instantly crumple in a fight, but one good crit can make life a real mess, real fast. Diseases are especially brutal.

The system still adds nothing to the flavour of the game, and served only to obsolete older material - homebrewing rules to replace what was lost not withstanding - and generally add nothing to the setting or community.

My LGS still has stacks of 3ed WFRP stuff that just does not sell, and they are disinclined to get any 4ed stuff unless demand is especially high because of the poor turn out for it.

3ed plays more like a board game than the previous two editions - not a bad thing, strictly, but jarring for people who grew up with it.

It is absolutely a different animal from previous WFRP editions and most other RPGs, which isn't inherently bad but does alienate a lot of people.

3e was designed to get people into the game. Reading the fluff in the books is great introduction to the world and really does a lot to get the flavor across. Unfortunately, this does little for old fans.

There are lots of flaws with 3e but it isn't a bad game at all if given the chance. I much prefer it over previous editions because I never liked their mechanics, they work but they aren't really good.

Maybe I prefer my PCs being starting a bit less disposable and bit more competent, as I always felt a rotating cast of PCs never really helps in telling a story and can lead to bad habits and PC's often being just incapable of accomplishing much of anything not terribly fun.

I guess I never felt any loss from playing 3e, as I felt the rules helped the game move faster and captured the flavor more, having cards attached to your sheet like "bleeding wound" and "gangrene", with details and art and flavor text is more fun than just scribbling it in a column on your sheet I think.

I honestly can't think of much you lose out on. Like specific mutation rules or something? I don't know. Either way, just like many other games, it never stopped you from playing the older edition.

Meh, it's flawed, not for everyone and sold like shit due to some bad decisions and weird marketing, but it's still a solid game. A lot of people were just unwilling to give it a go.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the system - it's a little cheeky to use Warhammer as a testing ground to iron out the kinks on their own proprietary system.

The problem really was inherently changing the mechanics between editions.

Imagine if the next edition of DnD dumped d20 and changed over to a remixed FATE system. There's nothing stopping you from homebrewing stuff from the older editions and using the fluff, eyeballing rules as needed - but if you're getting into the hobby, why would you get any of the older books when they don't click with new system?

If you're an old hand, why would you get the new system for any reason other than trying a new system?

Being 'unwilling to give it a go' is a solid reason to argue why it was a bad game - it offered nothing to old school players other than a new system, which they could get from ANY other game. And for new players there just wasn't enougg material compared to the older editions still being sold side by side with it and, again, it was a strange cross between rpg and board game that didn't particularly appeal to either market.

They invested too much into 3e for it just to be a testbed. If that was all they had in mind they could have done it much cheaper. The quality of the products says to me that it was a sincere attempt that they salvaged by reusing the system.

I'm a madman who liked 4e D&D because it was a mechanical upgrade to 3.5 D&D, if they swapped the d20 out for 2d10 or something I probably would have liked it more.

I'm willing to leave old stuff behind if it means a better system and I absolutely feel 3e works better than 2e mechanically. I'm not poopooing 2e, I like it fine, but I don't love it like 3e.

I guess since I got into WFRP3 I probably bought more WFRP2 books than when I played WFRP2 I don't agree that the books don't click.

BTW Thanks for having a grown up discussion about this rather than the usual "3e?! REEEE!" I get. I admit I love 3e over the previous ones, warts and all, and nothing will change that, but it is good to see sensible arguments as to why one wouldn't play it.

I totally get why people would want to stick with the game they know. While I love the Warhammer setting, I never loved the rules and 3e totally reinvigorated my love of it.

what is your opinion of the viability of playing 3e digitally?

>I guess since I got into WFRP3 I probably bought more WFRP2 books than when I played WFRP2 I don't agree that the books don't click.

Out of curiosity, what drove you to get more 2ed books? Was it just a lack of material for 3ed?

>"3e?! REEEE!"

I think the problem is a lack of neutral views on WFRP. You either love 2ed and hate 3ed or vice-versa - which turns any discussion of them an automatic defense of something you love.

Most of I played I did so digitally.

Somewhere out there is an absolutely brilliant unofficial add-on for Fantasy Grounds. This is at least as good as playing on table top.

Somewhere there is also a Maptools add-on for it which is acceptable but not as excellent as the Fantasy Grounds one.

>Out of curiosity, what drove you to get more 2ed books? Was it just a lack of material for 3ed?

3e gives you the information you need to run the game. You get the flavor and basic ideas but it leaves stuff open to interpretation so the GM and players have wiggle room to make it theirs.

2e has some amazing books with autistic levels of detail (I love me some Sigmar's Heirs), information not needed but icing for people hungry for more Warhammer.

I liked this as it gave options. New people could read the 30ish pages of basic info in the 3e main book and get the idea. If they want more there is more to read in each supplement if they want more info on magic or religion or dwarfs or whatever. If they *really* want to get deep into it, they can dig up the 2e books and get into all the crazy details. Since the world is nearly identical (just a small time shift) between 2e and 3e, 3e could rely on 2e's fluff and it's books could focus on game content over fluff.

3e just reinvigorated my love of the setting and I simply wanted "more warhammer".

I hate 3e.

u wot mate?! I'll kill yer fookin' mum!!!1

discordapp.com/channels/342341019775533056/342341019775533056

Expired?

discord.gg/xTGSZbU

whoops. Sorry

Who are you? Why are you advertising your discord in my thread?

>my thread
>Veeky Forums

Give me my (you)s for that, dammit.

Not that guy, but just made a post on your Roll20. Really hoping I can play.