>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/02-05-17-controlled-burn/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-09-16-assisted-suicide/
mtggoldfish.com/deck/709249#paper
reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/6pi8hc/tournament_report_scg_atlanta_modern_classic_top/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

All right Veeky Forums, I have an unhealthy desire to play a different deck every tournament, so I'm thinking about sleeving this pile up for Friday - give me your thoughts

Probably should have made the thread image a modern-playable card

>BGx good stuff.deck edition
Worst edition
How can we get rid of goodstuff.decs? Are they inevitable in Modern?

>Inb4 Go to Legacy if you want to play combo decks
Burn, Affinity and Tron are neither combo nor goodstuff.dec

>that feeling when Hunmaster of the Fells is Legacy-playable but not Modern-playable

if only Nic Fit existed in Modern

Yeah, Veteran Explorer would be too good in Modern. We might have nut draws with something crazy like seven mana on turn three

Goodstuff has been struggling for a while now, Tron just stomps it and DS does its game better

>Play
GW Hatebears ft. Collected Company. It's a fun build, dumps on certain decks, goes even with others.

>Hate
Elfball. Boring and uninteractive playing against it. Bant Eldrazi isn't much fun to play against either.

>Brewing
Boros something or other with Aether Vials. Boros Reckoner and Deflecting Palm are hilarious against Death's Shadow.

I'm new to the format but I have more fun playing against bgx liliana goyf midrange than Ravager decks and certainly more than either flavor of Tron. At least grindy midrange games are games, Tron is just playing shit way ahead of curve and you either have some type of a response or you're dead.

GDS is goodstuff and is also far more interesting to play against.

How important are Horizon Canopies in D&T? Seems like a good way to save $300 when building the deck on a budget.

You'll sometimes miss the card draw but for the most part it's the 57th-60th cards in the deck that you can replace with basics assuming you're mono-white.

If you're on that new Collected Company and Taxes G/W shit you'll miss it more.

First thing to go when building on a budget but if you're looking to play competitively at a pptq or gp level they're pretty necessary

>Probably should have made the thread image a modern-playable card
Please don't bully the midrange players.

>please don't bully the midrange players
Don't worry, I'm not the one on Tron

I have a guy at my store who plays a very similar deck and does fairly well. Consider Path to Exile.

I have more fun playing against Tron and other "unfair" deck because at least there's more to it than "I play this good card then this good card then this..."

>if you're looking to play competitively at a pptq or gp level they're pretty necessary
false! they can easily be mutavaults, which i've done well with on several occasions.

Why do you so autistically hate good stuff?

Agree to disagree I guess. I don't think there's much interesting about facing down 14 power's worth of Eldrazi on turn 4. Or the race to play Karn or Ugin as soon as possible. Feels like games are decided on the strength of either side's opening hand and first 5 draws rather than any interaction actually taking place.

Even when I'm successful against Tron decks it's because they didn't get off the ground in time, and instead of a non-game on my end, it's a non-game on theirs.

What do you play?

Because I want to play interesting games against interesting gameplans, using cards I've never seen before and interactions I've never thought about

>Feels like games are decided on the strength of either side's opening hand and first 5 draws rather than any interaction actually taking place.
That applies to a lot of decks

des is that you

I've got a meta full Tron variants, Spaghetti Monsters & U/W Control. What deck would you play to combat this menace?

Been playing R/W Prison with Bridges & T2 Blood Moon just isn't as backbreaking as it used to be.

Obviously not, I'm still able to have fun playing Magic

It applies dispraportionately to decks and archetypes that try to abuse potentially broken strategies. Sometimes non-games happen, it's variance in a card game. But the "fair" decks of the format are likely to have matchups where meaningful player interaction and decision making takes place. I could slam BGx decks against each other for hours and always have a fun time. Or Death's Shadow decks. Or UWx decks. Or DnT or the various types of CoCo. Sometimes non-games happen but the games aren't linear and the other side of the table tends to matter.

yeah as long as your opponents arent NET DECKERS REEEEEEEEEEEEE

When did I complain about net-decking? I have no problem with it, most people are not able to brew good decks
I'm not able to either, I'm probably the worst at brewing in my LGS

affinity is the best answer, followed by getting another hobby and doing that instead of playing modern at your lgs.

>I-I-Im the c-complete opposite of d-des!
nice try des

Dude, I'm literally playing G/x Tron, how is that being against netdecking?
My brews are shitty and not worthy of seeing any light

You, on the other hand, seems to have a weird interest in Desolator

kekd at that last comment

Looking to get into the format from EDH, not a huge fan of a lot of the meta decks (or their price tags) except maybe tron.

I noticed on mtg goldfish that merfolk and elves were both on the meta though their respective decks were still.pricey.

Would a budget tribal deck, like faeries or merfolk work in modern? Talking a budget of around 200$

Depends on your LGS really
You can try building a budget version of the deck first then buy the expensive pieces one by one

You might try Human tribal. Puts up decent results as far as I know.

>lava spike is a 5 dollar card
i could be living in a mansion and sniffing crack outta a hookers ass every night if i only saved all those lava spikes man

damn

>commanderfag wants to play tribal

Woah shocking

Why did Kaladesh Invention Wurmcoil Engine jump in price?

Well from the commander side of things (and the one game of standard I watched) people are pretty competitive.

I haven't been around for a modern day, due to work. But with a schedule change I'll be able to make FNM

What helps you design a budget deck? Some cards (aether vial for example) seem irreplaceable, would you recommend just using goodstuff instead?

You're not going to build a quality deck with $200. Merfolk needs Vial to function and that's going for like 45-50 these days. Merfolk hasn't been good in years, not even the unbanning of Bitterblossom could save that dumpster fire.

Look around if there's a budget replacement for it or replace it by Merfolks/Elves that can grab more
But I'm pretty sure the former doesn't exist, sorry

>vial is 45-50
i have so many mtg regrets

i coulda been rich

COMBROS WHERE ARE WE. WHERE THE FUCK ARE WE
@

Right here

Gonna be entering a modern pptq with KCI

does this deck actually win

Oh hi Cheeri0s, it's been a while
Not using Mox Opal?

not using your eyes?

Who jankballs here?

No need to be mean, I was looking for it among the 0cmc artifacts

rudeposting is not allowed sir

>thats considered rude
i want europeans to leave

pardon sir be on your way

brewing around with kiki-jiki and hatebears in modern. Any thoughts on this maindeck?

>4 Kiki Jiki
>12 Red Sources
I know you've got Vial, but ticking it to 5 feels bad, man.

Seems to be the jank hours so might as well post my pet homeless combo card that hopefully get there sometime in the future when new cards get printed. Although wotc hates storm-type things so it's a bit of a stretch.
>quite free, quite repeated card advantage, workable
>Painter's Servant to trigger on normally monocolored spells??
>discarding to Jeskai Ascendancy loot trigger??
>green not absolutely unreasonable to cast, ramps mana on the following turn
>black and blue are theoretically could kill if you're going off really REALLY hard

so far in testing i've been able to cast it everytime i hit 5 lands, although I tend to need to ghost quarter myself about 2/10 times that I do get to 5 mana

i played that while twin was still legal. it was sugoi as fuck. czech twin will always have a place in my heart.

THAT BEING SAID one kiki can be an avalanche riders, three bellringers can be leonin arbiter and one thalia can be the last leonin arbiter, otherwise moonman is pointless.

(((Them)))

(((Investors)))

How can I go tribal zombie, and be somehow competitive?

Play standard

anyone else hope the new dragon commander deck is gonna contain a door to nothingness?

No

Why are you asking about a commander set in the modern general?

because i forgot im in the wrong thread

Gifts stormfag reporting in. This week is gonna be insane.

It's just extra draw, not absolutely necessary but useful to have. I mean if anything you can still play Flagstones of Trokair+Ghost Quarter combo in your own deck and more or less do the same thing of drawing cards out of your deck.

I'm considering building eldrazi tron. Is it, dare I say, fun?

It wins good, but you're playing a linear deck. You be the judge.

also possible ban warning, wait until august is out

I'm ok with it being linear, after all, I play titanshift

But yeah, the chance of bannings is real,
even more so if they end up banning somehting from GDS

What's your favourite tribe? Mine is rats

Goblins

reprint when

Pretty sure this loses horribly to Kithkin, which is already a dead and bad forced meme.

Oh shit nigga im doing this this in Rakdos where your Waste nots at nigga

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/02-05-17-controlled-burn/

I should clarify, "how many wastes not you got nigga"

Can I make mono-black devotion good? It seems like a solid deck in concept has anyone ran anything similar.

Ive got most of the expensive cards for this already so im considering running it.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-09-16-assisted-suicide/

>mtggoldfish.com/deck/709249#paper

Can anyone explain to me how this got to top 20?

>mono green
>no caverns

I just replaced 4x HC with 2x Sea-Gate Wreckage and 2x Seftan Dunes and its been working well for additional card draw on a budget.

Is it a good idea to be buying thoughtseize now for around $20 what are the chances of a new discard or a reprint

I ran this list and it was pretty good. Not great, and I lost more than I won, but I knew what I was in for. Maybe just update it with collective brutality?

reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/6pi8hc/tournament_report_scg_atlanta_modern_classic_top/

It's not really needed? There aren't a ton of counterspells to worry about? Maybe they were cut for westvale?

This deck came third at Modern Championship but it makes no use of some of the best devotion and black cards like phyrexian and i like the use of Shrine to nyx, collective and zombies in

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/02-05-17-controlled-burn/

I've been trying to build this as well. I affectionately named the deck Hot Wheels.

For jeskai queller / control: relic of progenitus or rest in peace?

I don't like rip because it kills your snapcasters, but you also need all the help you can against dredge, thoughts?

Queller is a meme card.

RiP is fine in a format you can't snap brainstorm or ponder or force.

Why am I seeing so many decks playing waste not now? Did it see play somewhere big recently?

Last reprint was Theros, where it was declared a mistake and too strong for Standard.

So try MM4 at best.
>new discard
We got Harsh Scrutiny in Kaladesh. Scry 1 is decent and honestly makes it preferable to Duress for Modern. Still, thoughtseize and IoK are irreplaceable.
Only way we get new discard is if they ban something. I like Thoughtseize, but Ponder/Preordain give them all the justification necessary to ban it. wizards will never print a "fixed" version where you lose life equal to mana cost of discarded spell instead of a flat rate

Tormod's Crypt? I ran it in Elves against dredge last year.

Are we watching the same format?

Harsh scrutiny is in no way comparable to duress

Duress hits combo, scrutiny hits generic creature decks

Ponder and preordain were banned because they break storm.

Thoughtsieze kills storm. It won't get hit.

The amount of combo in Modern is very low. I would rather mainboard neither.

How would you rephrase my statement to be more clear? I was trying to get across the idea that any new discard would either be irrelevant, or good enough to justify taking it over IoK or Thoughtseize, which Wizards won't allow to happen.
So, if something were to be printed that replaces Thoightseize/Iok (most likely the latter), it would be the result of a ban.

"If Wizards printed [new good discard], then they would have done so after banning [existing discard]"
This doesn't feel like an accurate expression of the logic.

>ponder/preordain ban justify ts ban
Nowhere close, the cantrips are good in combo decks and help break the turn 4 rule, ts does the opposite

>harsh scruitiny
Worse than despise, and the matchups you would ever want more 1-mana discard than iok/ts, duress is best

I started playing a U/W delver deck not too long ago and its turned into control
I'm thinking of cutting the delvers all together for some other flying threats, is there a rule of thumb for what decks capitalize on delvers?

I wanted some of your opinions regarding my future Modern Deck(s). I just got 600€ for Modern. I'm thinking of Burn (Boros (with a bit of Naya)) for 397.52€, Merfolks (with 3 Caverns) for 417.55€ , UW Control for 431.45€, basically all around 400€, so I can also start building a second Deck (so I can later play with friends that don't own Modern Decks). Which would be the better purchase, regarding performance/fun factor? Any other Decks around this price point (EU) that are better purchases?
(All prices were taken from the MagicCardMarket price trend)
It would be amazing if both Decks were very good against each other and/or they had different playstyles (so I could change betwen FNMs and never tire of them).

I would recommend downloading XPlay, building those decks, and then playing them out online. Give each deck, like, a week. Play loads of matches with them. That's the /only/ way you can tell if a deck hits you the right way or not before you blow your financial wad. Besides, the best time to buy cards is in the Fall/Winter, that's when prices are on the downswing.

I used to do that on XMage, but I don't know why, many times I loved to play a Deck Online, but in paper would be the opposite (Dredge on paper was the worst, every game felt like a chore, the oposite also happened). Regarding the prices, that doesn't happen too often in europe, some cards usually get cheaper on Fall/Winter, but other may get more expensive, so the price tends to balance out. Burn and UW Control have a very good price point at this time of the year, while Merfolks is definatively around 30€ more expensive than before. Also I end up having more time during the summer to play Modern, waiting until I have less time to save 20-50€ is not a very pleasent option for me.
Regardless, I had some experience with all this Decks before (UW Control I never played it, but I enjoy Control (used to Play UTron and loved it (but was aweful in the lgs meta back there (3 Merfolks)).
Out of this 3 Decks, probably Merfolks is the one I may dislike the most, but probably has a better shot in my meta, while being the easier Deck for my friends to play (begginers).

I play mono white DnT religiously even before I could afford canopies. Add two smuggler's copters and find some more niche lands that fit your budget/meta, here are some good options imo.

Sea gate
scavenger grounds
hostile desert
mutavault (great with copters)
seftan dunes
eiganjo castle
windbrisk heights
flagstones
kabira crossroads

Delver wants a deck jammed with as much cheap interaction as possible along with super efficient threats. The card is really at home in tempo/aggro-control decks where the goal is to control the flow of the game until you can drop a threat, and then beat their face in while protecting said threat (usually with counter magic).

Well nobody here likes Burn, UW Control, or Merfolks. Most people who shitpost here don't even consider them real decks.

>we will never get a Thalia this cute

god fuck my life