How do you all handle loot in DnD? Specifically the finding of magical gear...

How do you all handle loot in DnD? Specifically the finding of magical gear, and making sure that your players actually want to use what they find, rather than just sell it for dosh.

>DnD

Oh boi, here we go, lets see what I remember of 5e.

1. Don't allow players to craft magic items, ever. If you allow crafting skills, then all loot gets immediately converted into cash so that the players can make more optimal magical items.

2. Don't allow martials to take feats like Great Weapon Master, Polearm Master, ect. This locks them into using basically just one type of weapon and any magical weapons that aren't their specialty are worthless. Yes, I know removing these feats gives martials even LESS to do, but DnD has shit game design when it comes to martials, sorry. Kinda why I don't play it anymore, amongst a dozen other reasons.

3. Don't allow wizards in the party. Most magic items can be replicated by spells, and the wizard has access to far too many of them. The other casters are generally OK, with thematic spell lists focused around a particular role that has blank spots magic items can help with. Again, DnD has shit design, sorry.

4. Don't make magical items available in shops, for the same reason that they shouldn't be craftable. If you do allow them to be bought in shops, make it a rare occasion and the selection be unpredictable.

5. Consider giving certain magical items a finite number of uses, so that the players use them up and then have to find more.

Generally, if I want my players to use something they find, it ends up being obvious.
>Oh hey, this sword gives a minor bonus when attacking goblins. Good thing we're up to our eyebrows in the runts.

That sort of thing. Either make it useful, or suggest that despite the fact that it's magic, they might not be able to get much for it.
>Local area has a sanction on purchasing and selling magic items without a permit, resident merchants are wary of buying potentially cursed objects, etc.

So, remove every magic related rule in the game and substitute them with your own homebrew. Good job.

Seriously OP, just make some unique quirky items they should love and don't get too offended if they pitch them.

Unless it's 3.5 and they're assuming (and basically need to) they can buy other magic items, I don't know why players would just sell every bit of magical swag you give. My first guess is stop using the random table and just pick out shit they'd actually want
Some pretty terrible advice you have there

Make magic items largely un-buyable or otherwise a huge pain in the ass to get.

desu I wonder why a party would sell magic items rather than equip them. Have you been dumping them Diablo-style?

You do realize that even spoiler'ing the sarcasm, you're gonna get drown out by DnDrones defending the only thing they know, right?

You are completely correct though.

>1. Don't allow players to craft magic items, ever. If you allow crafting skills, then all loot gets immediately converted into cash so that the players can make more optimal magical items.

Crafting takes time, even in the rules.

>2. Don't allow martials to take feats like Great Weapon Master, Polearm Master, ect. This locks them into using basically just one type of weapon and any magical weapons that aren't their specialty are worthless

...or give them magic weapons that match their feat...

>3. Don't allow wizards in the party. Most magic items can be replicated by spells, and the wizard has access to far too many of them.

Having a magic item that can be replicated via wizard is like having an extra spell slot dedicated to that spell. Casters love extra spell slots and non-casters love having tricks.

>4. Don't make magical items available in shops

Agreed

>5. Consider giving certain magical items a finite number of uses

This is built in as well for many magic items.

But he's not completely correct. He's bitching about the most surface-level shit that is easily fixed with a second of thought. No homebrew required.

I'm not sure where I ever suggested Homebrew, but OK.

Removing rules and not allowing things is houseruling, a kind of homebrewing

Removing rules? There are no rules for buying or crafting magic items in 5e? It's entirely up to DM-fiat.

And more to the point, the game books are like a toolbox, you're supposed to take pieces that fit your particular game and use those to build with, not try to cram everything in every book ever into some clusterfuck of a kitchen-sink setting.

>not try to cram everything in every book ever into some clusterfuck of a kitchen-sink setting.

You do realize most people who play DnD think this IS what you're supposed to do, right?

>Specifically the finding of magical gear, and making sure that your players actually want to use what they find, rather than just sell it for dosh.
1. Don't cheapen magic items by making them too plentiful. If you would have players find magic items that they're not likely to use or need, consider converting them to some other kind of treasure - if the players already have magic weapons, any +1 weapons they find will almost certainly be sold rather than used. This, of course, doesn't apply to magic items the enemies are actually using to make things more difficult for the PCs.

2. Conversely, do give them magic items that they would want to use. Cloaks of resistance, gloves of dexterity, other items that benefit pretty much anyone. As long as they're not redundant, they're not likely to be sold - after all, you only get half the price for any items you sell, so keeping what you can use only makes sense.

3. Find out what kind of items the players want for their PCs and put them into the loot. Any player will be happy to find just the item they wanted in the loot, and most don't really look too closely into whether it makes sense for it to be there. If you do this, there's also less reason for the players to seek out people willing to sell them magic items, and you can give them fewer opportunities to buy magic items without complaints.

4. Many players will absolutely love weird and quirky items, so instead of just looking through the DMG for items you might give your players, make up your own. For instance, I practically had a player wet his pants once by giving him a bottle that would give anyone drinking from it the ability to see in magical darkness for a short time.

Reminder that feats are an entirely optional rule and "turned off" by default.

So really the only suggestion he had for removing anything was to not allow Wizards in the party. Which is actually a pretty appropriate ruling for a lower-magic type of game, or even just a game where you don't want the most powerful class in the game solving every problem with ever with one or two spells.

>4. Don't make magical items available in shops, for the same reason that they shouldn't be craftable. If you do allow them to be bought in shops, make it a rare occasion and the selection be unpredictable.
If you don't let players buy magic items, money doesn't do anything the players care about past the first couple levels and isn't even worth tracking.

>And more to the point, the game books are like a toolbox, you're supposed to take pieces that fit your particular game and use those to build with, not try to cram everything in every book ever into some clusterfuck of a kitchen-sink setting.
I agree with you but that applies to fluff
You can't remove mechanics that easily, like some feats or Wizards

Literally posting this again.

Feats are an entirely option optional mechanic that are "turned off" by default.

Wizard are still the most powerful class in every situation in 5e?

Don't give them that many magical items. Assuming you aren't playing Worst Edition (or Worst Edition.5, or Worstfinder), the party's survival isn't really going to be contingent on having a sack full of magical items.

Plus, truly magical items should be rare and wondrous. Trying to sell the ancient sword of power that you found in the ruins should set off a legal clusterfuck like that surrounding the ownership and sale of Sue, and should earn the PCs the kind of reputation that Peter Larson has.

There's a difference between banning some feats because you think specialization shouldn't be allowed(which is a pretty stupid reason in the first place), and just not having any feats. The former falls squarely into houserules territory.

I can't read your post while I'm writing mine

My point still stand, why would you allow feats but not a handful of them? Specializing your martial into using one type of weapon can be pretty useful

For the most part, yes. Wizards have far more versatility in the variety of ways they can approach a situation compared to any other class in the game, and there are alot of spells that outright replace entire skills or even entire gameplay arcs like recon or research (Clairvoyance/Familiars and Identify respectively, for example).

Fighters will put out more raw damage than the wizard, but at level 5 the fighter learns to swing his sword a little faster and the Wizard learns to fucking fly. Damage doesn't even matter when you have a ton of non-combat ways to tackle problems anyway. Most of which don't even require any kind of tools or skill investment. It is for THIS reason that Wizards are still the most powerful class in the game.

>Fighters will put out more raw damage than the wizard, but at level 5 the fighter learns to swing his sword a little faster and the Wizard learns to fucking fly.
It's 3.5 all over again
WotC really can't learn from their mistakes

Literally the only difference between wizards in 5e and wizards in 3.5 is that 5e has "concentration" rules now, which basically mean the wizard can only maintain one insane buff at a time, instead of being invisible, flying, blurred, stoneskin'd, mirror-imaged, hasted, and surrounded by 4 different barriers all at the same time.

Wizards can still basically bypass every encounter or problem in the game with one or two spells without actually having to fight most of the time though.
Again, kinda why I stopped playing DnD. Kinda sick of WotC's complete and utter lack of being able to learn what good game design is. The real shame of it is, as I stated earlier, the other casting classes are fine and have thematic spell lists that don't do EVERYTHING.

The homebrew was stated in case you threw in "yeah you can fix these problems if you homebrew"

Because by your dumbass bitching I figured you to be the type to desperately cling to your blatantly wrong statements that you tout as though they are fact.

>Literally the only difference between wizards in 5e and wizards in 3.5 is that 5e has "concentration" rules now, which basically mean the wizard can only maintain one insane buff at a time, instead of being invisible, flying, blurred, stoneskin'd, mirror-imaged, hasted, and surrounded by 4 different barriers all at the same time.
...which you could never do to begin with, since casting all those buffs would take time and the fight would be over before you were done.

Ah, like a true troll you have now completely abandoned even the facsimile of having an argument.

It's one thing to insult someone in an argument, and another to just insult.

Enjoy this last (You) troll.

Ssssssssshh

They are just randomly bitching.

Their argument is 100% running off of memes.

They probably have never even played a roleplaying game before.

>Implying that you're never able to prepare for fights ever.
>Implying the wizard can't just fuck off to a pocket dimension for a few turns to buff the team
>Implying you even 2 or 3 of those aren't gamebreaking compared to the complete lack of options a martial has.

What argument? You literally projected your own shitposting onto the guy, then threw up your hands and called him a troll like you won. I'll take a (you) though as well, if you're handing them out.

4e is the best WotC's D&D edition
I had hope for 5e but never tried it since my players can't understand English for shit
Now that the dust has settled and some content was released, it seems I didn't miss anything

What memes? 3.5 "buffmania" was legitimately a thing. Maybe not to the degree described, but definitely enough to be a huge problem.

WotC, however, thought this was the only problem that needed to be fixed from 3.5, threw a sloppy band-aid on it, and called it a day. While doing nothing to give non-magic classes options or fix all the other problems that arose from wizards still having a spell to solve almost any conceivable situation they're in.

None of this is memes. Like, this actually how the games work in practice. This is actually what the rules allow for and even encourage to some extent.

>4e is the best WotC's D&D edition

You are making it really fucking hard for me to blindly hate you user. I need you to stop that.

>Banning specialization feats because it limits gameplay for the player
So by your logic I can't spend years of my life getting a doctorate in something and then decide to get an unrelated job because that would be limiting myself.
Fuck off. Stop limiting player choice because of your own inability to give appropriate loot. Just because I know how to use a sword better than any other weapon doesn't mean I'll raise my nose to a god tier battleaxe. And even if I did why shouldn't I be able to? It's my choice.
And about Wizards - what the fuck? It's actually one of the most creative classes to play and you're excluding it because it makes some magical items obsolete. Just come up with better magical items you retard. Forget about "muh immersion" and "muh realism" and just give your players appropriate gear.

Shit advice.

Why would you want to hate me though?

> Maybe not to the degree described

But user, you stupid bitch, that is exactly where the meme lay.

Especially when there are so many /v/ulner/a/ble /pol/sters around that take such memes so seriously. It's their whole life. They exist to flood any board they are on with shitty memes and half-baked opinions they heard from someone who knew a guy that played a system that had a terrible group. The least we could do is give them high-quality memes that aren't so bad to spam.

How about Angry Marine reactions? Those are safe! It's just reactions, the post could have nothing to do with the chapter.

4e was a smpouldering dumpster fire, but it was the only version with good ideas behind it. Those ideas were executed damn near as badly as they possibly could have been, but the ideas themselves were good. I'm all for Martials having more to do do, wizard archetypes being heavy school limited (5e doesn't even make you pick Opposition-Schools anymore) and everyone having access to spell-like abilities as part of their class features.

Fuck, why couldn't 5e have been built off of 4e? 4e deserved a second try a fuck of alot more than 3.5.

Given context I assume you are in the camp of Captain Hyperbole and the D&D Sucks Memebrigade.

>4e was a smpouldering dumpster fire
>Based Warlords
>smpouldering dumpster fire

The DnD Sucks Memebrigade has always existed, it just used to be the Pathfinder Sucks Memebrigade, then 5e came out, they all migrated to it, and realized it was basically Pathfinder all over again.

>4e was a smpouldering dumpster fire
I'd like to know what metaphor you have for 3.PF because it seems pretty hard to find something worse

>Fuck, why couldn't 5e have been built off of 4e? 4e deserved a second try a fuck of alot more than 3.5
Because WotC.

I'm not
D&D is a pretty good Fantasy RPG, as long as you know what you're doing and are not playing the disease that 3.PF is

The content of this post is completely irrelevant to my post.

As others have said, stuff like cloaks of resistance, rings of protection and the like are stuff that the players always are going to hold on: try to throw something quirky on this, like a ring of protection that can be used to shed light or similar, so the PCs will be incentivized to make that ring better instead of throwing it out for ring of protection x+1.

Specialized equipment like weapons with bane are good too, as are fun magical items for body slots that the players aren't using: in PF, for example, the chest or body slot isn't occupied by the "Big 6", so it's weird fair game for weird shit you give them.

>I'm not

I apologize, elegan/tg/entleman.

Is the OP even still here? All I see is shitposting and unanswered actual responses
Thinking that wizards ruin 5e is I'll informed at best and a really lazy attempt at using the same shitposting methods for 3.PF stuff at worst

Well in my case - there are no magical items....At all

But when time comes I might give them a talking sword or book that loves to swear (Because I prefer memorable rewards over the bald ones)

Oh and there is on way to get some magical items in my game - but it will cost an arm or a leg literary as they are magical cybernetics made from old warforged parts by a bunch of kobolds that worship a golem named Dragon of the Void

Bump