Single most awkward player at the table plays a bard with 19 charisma

>single most awkward player at the table plays a bard with 19 charisma

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nc_LIR5ExIU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Cute female player makes male bard
>Describes in detail how she seduces the various women the party encounters.
>Makes lewd hand gestures

Not a problem though. The problem would be if he had Diplomacy, Intimidation, Bluff, etc You can have high Charisma but don't know how to use it.
Remember that Charisma is a mix of character’s personality, personal magnetism, ability to lead, and appearance. Look at anime main characters, lots of them are awkward af and somehow they attract lots of allies, and enemies end respecting them.

As cringe as it can be, this is what stats are for in roleplaying.
Nobody gets upset when the scrawny kid roleplays a 20 str barbarian.

I like to play the devil's advocate: while I am perfectly fine with people saying
>"I want to talk to the guard about our long journey and how we are from the next town over with this important message from the mayor from there to the governor of this town and how we need to make haste to get to the mansion before it gets dark. I would like to bluff."
I am somewhat put off by
>I bluff the guard so they let us pass

Give me scraps, something, please! You don't have to speak in-character, just let me know what the jist of the conversation is! ;_;

We actually don't let people play characters with a strength way above what they have in real life. Our last barbarian had to prove his power at the gym in front of the bros and we found him worthy.

This. There's a guy in my group who is probably borderline autistic, and thankfully he always plays nigh-mutes, but Christ whenever he tries to talk in character it's like pulling teeth.

Me: The guard asks you where you've been
>Him: Uh, I tell him
Tell him what?
>What happened on the adventure...
What, everything? Even the parts about how you had to break into the mayor's house?
>No not the bad parts
SO WHAT THEN!?

This. In M&M a faggot wanted to play a dude with str enough to lift a building, we told him that he at least had to lift 10% of that if he wanted to play it.

I don't follow for once, you are just being mean without a justification and he is doing nothing wrong unless he is being That Guy.
How would you react if your DM said you can't try to seduce NPCs because he thinks you are ugly IRL?

Nice homoerotic ritual and assless asian girl, hombre.

>Not wanting to bury your face in that butt and drink her ass sweat like it's a fine scotch

No wonder you're afraid of the gym bro.

So you never played a wizard, right?
Because this idea is stupid

I actually play a Warlock. In order to prove my worth to play the class my bros took me to an abandoned mental hospital and locked me in for the night. While there I communed with the mad spirits of the dead and with their aid I called forth the great beast from beyond the black stars, freeing him from the prison forged for him when time began. This showed my bros that I was worthy to play a warlock in D&D, I'm level 7 now it's pretty cool.

That's some bullshit desu fampai

Not OP but I get what he's saying. An user mentioned earlier that no one finds it strange that some weakling roleplays some buff guy but the difference is that you don't need to be buff to roleplay someone buff but to roleplay some charismatic you actually have to have at least some charisma irl.

The weak should fear the strong bro.

You know, as the forever-DM, I've had to deal with situations like that before, with players I personally found repulsive. I always do it by abstracting things further. Something as simple like:

> "Okay, she giggles and blushes, and she tells you what she knows."

Nothing more elaborate than that. Like, take your simulated victory, but don't make it awkward. Know your limits, man.

I like smart characters since I'm dumb, I like charismatic characters since I'm a wallflower, and I like physical adepts since I'm a waif who sways to a slight breeze.

Isn't that part of the game? Encourage him to give details on what his charismatic character is saying, instead of just letting him roll the dice. Not everything word for word, but try to get a flow of the conversation from him. It might help him get out of his shell. It helped me. I didn't want to speak up and take the spotlight ever, but my group made a point of asking me what I thought and for advice and stuff like that a lot and I'll be thankful forever for them doing that.

Encourage him user.

This is a pretty pathetic post, you're trying so hard. Please, just stop.

You just need to prove you're boring nerd to play wizard

>single most shitty DM is dissing an awkward player at the table who want to roleplay a bard with 19 charisma to relax from perils of life, being an ass he is thinking he is better than him somehow

That helped my party awkward guy get more confident, actually. We have a lot of military types, a couple normies and one full-blown Chad in the group (player rotation in high because life is complicated) and any time he struggled with a line they'd give him pointers and cheer him on whenever he took the initiative to try his best. He's not great but he's a lot better now.

Someone sounds butthurt bruh.

>he doesn't gain character levels in real life
Come on, haven't you been initiated by your DM yet?

Nah, you just need to be a virgin at 30 to be a wizard, so he's OK.

You know what, it was wrong of me to be so dismissive of his choice in character. It would probably be a lot better for everyone in the long run to see him develop his role playing and be better at being his character. I'm not the DM

>I'm not the DM

then even more you should just...

youtube.com/watch?v=nc_LIR5ExIU

Nah, I totally get what OP's saying.
In our group there's a single girl, played a "bard" with >20 Charisma and skills to boot, but she barely ever opened her mouth. She gave us exactly nothing to work with when it came to her character's personality.
Of course, she was also a pacifist in combat (OoC). Boosted the party up the wazoo, but if she wasn't doing that, she was effectively doing nothing at all.
God, I hate her as a player. Her only redeeming qualities are occasionally bringing home made cupcakes and weirdly enough, actually making fairly decent builds.

Epic

Problem is, the first example is not exactly something socially awkward/inept person would say.

You're quite disgusting, user.

You might be gay my dude. Talk to your bros they can help you find out if you're a bros bro or a hoes bro.

That sounds like an euphemism for anal sex, user.

That's me. Every time I try to roleplay a smooth-talking charismatic sort I end up tripping over my words and flubbing up what I say, resulting in a stuttering mess saved only by a high roll. At least text-based games give me time to fine-tune what my character is going to say.

It is. That's how you become a pc.

All they have to do is play someone who is handsome and reserved. Most people tend to like people who they can just talk to an seem to approve of them regardless. A smile can take you a long way. A pretty smile even further.

>Not wanting to bury your face in that butt and drink her ass sweat like it's a fine scotch
That's fucking nasty. You've never had fine scotch let alone a whiff of real pussy

If you don't see a problem with this then you're probably the type of person OP is referring to.

I can already tell this thread is going to be full of those irritated analogies comparing being able to roleplay dialogue to being able to play a character that can operate a sword.

A roleplaying game requires roleplaying, guys. You need to at least try be somewhat capable of fitting the personality you're going for, or else the dialogue for the game is totally fucking non-existent and fucked, meanwhile, not knowing how to actually use a sword does not matter in any way (Though I WOULD say that at least trying to describe some basic moves vastly increases how cool combat is. "I roll to attack." is way more boring than "I kick him in the chest."

>Tfw only 2pl8 bench
>Tfw you'll never play an 18 strength barbarian

Ya there
kill yourself
please please kill yourself

As much as I want to encourage people playing the game and enjoying their characters, and I can understand why someone who's socially inept might want to try playing someone socially adept, god damn is this hard for everyone else at the table

>scrawny nerd kid plays a 20 str warrior
>guy with unremarkable intelligence plays a wizard
>uncoordinated klutz plays a high-dex rogue

>atheist plays a cleric
Uhmm.... no?

>two of those examples don't fit with the theme of the thread.
Str, Dex and Con get a pass for rollplaying. the person can understand what being strong, quick or hearty means.
Int, Wis and Cha are all mental stats and therefore, if someone is stupid, no wizard. if someone is a stammering autist, no bard or paladin, if someone cant commit to anything like showing up on time, no monk or cleric.

>Player tries to play an elf or dwarf
Had to stop him right there. I won't allow playing races other than your own, it will just end up a poor imitation at best.

This is a really unconvincing argument. A player that can't articulate what they want to happen in a fun way is a detriment to the game as a roleplaying experience. A player that can't lift doesn't really have any the same problem

so you only let people increase mental stats if they are lower than the IRL attributes?
Does that mean that you can't play anyone with more than a 14 in INT? or 14 in CHA? or WIS?

And he doesn't play anyone with 8 or more in INT, CHA and WIS

>not helping out the socially awkward guy and suggesting what he can say, especially when he's speaking for the group

It's a game, it's not as if he has to literally come up with everything to say himself.

Does that mean I can play an Ur-Priest instead?

Who needs pussy when the bros can give you so much more?

What butt?

>roll up excellent stats all around, Charisma is off the charts, guess I'll be a bard
>session one rolls around, finally get to know the other PCs so that we can cooperate
>everyone else either dropped Charisma entirely and went full hermit or didn't build anything around the stat
>end up being the person who was to juice all of the NPCs for conversations outside of buy/sell/gibmequest
>but also the de facto party leader by default, because who else is going to communicate their plan to everyone else?

>Nobody else wants to be the leader or formulate a plan
>Everybody argues with the leader and complains about his plan
GOD FUCKING DAMNIT!

Well, duh!
The leader is not the one that comes up with plans, just the one that is responsible for them

Single most out of shape player is a barbarian with 20 strength. So what the entire point is to play something you arn't.

Take notes. She is subconsciously telling the table her fetishes.

I know because I too play female characters and seduce men like a reverse self insert

Yeah, fuck having the face of the party actually talk in social situations then rolling instead of just saying "I roll bluff". That's clearly the same as the stats you use to fight and superpowers.

But the inarticulate player isn't less of a detriment because they arn't playing a social character, they will be just as cringy playing the vilage idiot. You either overlook it, because your more interested in playing a game with your freinds and having fun, or you be open about being an elitest asshole and ask them to leave.

I disagree m8.

If you're playing a character with high charisma, you should be able to at least attempt being charismatic when interacting with the party or NPCs.

>Chad rolls a charisma 20 bard

>Able to RP his seductions and interactions in a believable and entertaining way

>Beta virgin rolls a charisma 20 bard

>"Uh.. I guess I talk to her?"

>DM: Ok, you are talking to her now. "Heya handsome.. You are new here, aren't you? What can I help you with?"

>"Uhh... hey there. OMG this is weird... uhh.. I guess I roll seduce?"

>DM: *cries internally*

>everyone else: *cries internally*

It's the GMs job to say "You can't just roll bluff, paraphrase what you want to have your charictor say, it doesn't have to be their exact words or sound perfect, then roll and I'll tell you what happens." The problem isn't the player it's the shit GM.

It's possible that player just doesn't like flirting with his DM and puts minimum effort to avoid a situation like that. Some DMs give off a weird vibe whether they want to or not.

It's not going to be less awkward if they are playing another character, just look how cringy the girl who plays the Druid on Critical Roll can be.

>you're an elitist asshole for not wanting to play a social game with autists
>you're an elitist asshole for not wanting illiterate retards in your company
>you're an elitist asshole for not wanting cripples in the military

>rolls to seduce
>wants to avoid that situation

If you're uncomforable with roleplaying I don't think you should be playing a bard. Their party gains the most benefit when they do the NPC interactions for them and if those interactions are not fun and entertaining then it's torturous for everyone else to have to sit through it.

I understand how it can be uncomfortable to be flirtacious with an npc that some fat neckbeard DM is roleplaying as but you're all friends (hopefully) so it's all in good fun.

Yeah. If your telling you FRIEND they can't play with you because they are socialy awkward and not, come along mate, we're all buds and after you've done it a while you'll be less awkward, your an asshole.

Your not a fucking acting troop. Your not doing it for money (if you are then yes be picky). Your hanging out with freinds.

>pretending anyone who likes asian girls would have it any other way

OP never said autism man was his friend

>not playing with your friends
?????

You might now have read it
>Nobody else formulates a plan
Everytime I ask, do you have something? nobody says shit, it's only when I say mine when they start to shred it apart, and again, when i ask do you have something a part from complaints? they say nothing.

Holy fuck mate, "your" is possessive, "you're" is a contraction of you and are. Mixing them up once I can overlook but you got it wrong like three times in rapid succession.

Yes my tism is triggered.

>neck-beard man-children play bad-ass world-changing murder-hobos

>everyone should only play with people that they are friends with outside of the game

Not everyone is lucky enough to have a group of friends interested in role-playing large enough to run games

>Not everyone is lucky enough to have a group of friends interested in role-playing large enough to run games
In that case I can give you some solid piece of advice:
GID
GUD

>Gid
>Gud

At least get the fucking meme right you mouthbreather

>Idiot player has the highest passive perception by far, never warns the party about anything his character notices and the other players don't want to metagame.

If you can see we're about to trigger a trap fucking say something you gormless fuckwit

>Holy fuck mate, "your" is possessive, "you're" is a contraction of you and are. Mixing them up once I can overlook but you got it wrong like three times in rapid succession.

If you're going to claim to have a tism-fit, you need to be smart enough to know that it's "troupe", not "troop".

That didn't bother me as much as the constant misuse of homonyms.

>be short as fuck
>be broad as fuck
>have beard
Excellent

well, it is, i mean you roll for all actions based on character stats. wanna open a stuck door, roll a str check. wanna guess what that npc really thinks, roll insight/wis. wanna find that secret door roll perception. wanna get history/info roll int. wanna talk to guard roll diplomacy/bluff/intimidate.

it is literally the same in terms of the game mechanics.

do i think players should at least give descriptions of what they are doing, yes preferably with some story based detail, afterall we are telling a story while we play a game of pretend. you could just pretend that socially awkward player's character is suave and charismatic, just like the attribute says.

>player who can't even cast Fireball creates a wizard
What a fag, amirite?

>the person can understand what being strong, quick or hearty means

No, a sizable chunk of hamplanets one stairwell away from a heart attack can't truly understand what it means when your body is simply capable. What it means to see a pull up bar somewhere and extend your arm for a few casual one-armed pullups. Or pass a daycare center and spot dip bars and decide to pull few reps of 20 dips just because. Or run for 10 kilometers for fun, and after that continue a half marathon just because you feel like it and your schedule is open.

The inherent issue with a physical skill versus a mental one is that describing what you're doing comes naturally to describing your use of a physical skill "I smash into the door and force it open", while a mental skill, specifically charisma in this case, requires a, slight, understanding to roleplay it. Really all I look for as a DM is that I'm given a description to work off of.

>some ugly landwhale bitch plays hot female
I have more problem with this than with social awkwardnes desu. Stop confusing my dick you whore.

Jesus christ, mate, you sound like a fucking cartoon character. No real person seriously just sees a fucking bar and has the radical impulse to go do some pull ups. Do you think people are impressed when you say this shit?

How exactly "I smash into the door and force it open" and "I persuade the guard to overlook the curfew and not arrest us" differ?

I'm a fucking skinny-ass bitch and I keep a pull-up bar in my doorway just so I can do like 2-3 pull-ups and pretend I'm actually healthy.

Pull-ups aren't hard.

They don't both of those are exactly what people are looking for. The issue is when the only thing your bard says is "I roll persuasion on the guard" and others try to defend that by arguing about how you don't have to be strong to play a barbarian.

>specifically charisma in this case, requires a, slight, understanding to roleplay it.
if you don't need to understand lockpicking to say i pick a lock then you don't need to understand seduction to say i seduce someone

They aren't. I'm not a skinny bitch, I'm fairly well built, as far as Veeky Forums users are concerned. But there is not a human being alive who will see something resembling dip bars at a day care and go do 20 sets of dips "just because". Not unless they're a peacocking fuck boy who thinks they're impressing people.

He does sound like he's exaggerating it when he said that he just randomly does it, but I understand what he means
remember that one twitter post of the pf developer that didn't manage to use his computer mouse as a whip and decided that because he can't do it nobody can?
The body can do a fuckload of stuff that most people would call unrealistic. Just like a dumb person can't really imagine being smart, an unathletic person can't really imagine what a fit person can do.

It's not about understanding, picking a lock is not a roleplaying scenario, it's the rogue sitting in the cornee jerking himself off. Interacting with an NPC IS a roleplaying moment and I don't see why it is so unreasonable to expect someone to roleplay, or at least pretend at it by describing their character's actions out of character.

Should I, as the DM, stop roleplaying and just make every interaction simply declaring a die roll and every conversation a summary of the information the PCs gather from that NPC?

>, picking a lock is not a roleplaying scenario
lolwut
You can rolaplay what tools you have, where you keep them and what you do with them
just because you have no idea how lockpicking works doesn't mean you can't roleplay it

So you belong to this sizable chunk, check.

Let's say you see a lonely soccer ball lying next to playing field while passing by. Do you feel this impulse to kick it? Most likely a small one atleast. It's a small but exhilarating act that brings a tiny smile on your face, unless your slobby enough to actually abhor any and all physical activity.

Now imagine instead of a soccer ball, you hear this new cafe or whatever has opened 20 kilometers from your home and for whatever reason you want to visit. Now instead of getting to your car like an average hamplanet, you get this impulse of "hell, I've been running only like 10km trips this week, I'll put my running shoes on".

You see, from your average hamplanets' perspective you could be basically the Superman. You don't think the Supes sees the world a little different?

LIFT MY FUCKING FRIDGE

>"hell, I've been running only like 10km trips this week, I'll put my running shoes on".
does wanting to cycle there count as well?
I'm not much of a runner type but cycling is fine for me

So, with persuading people I usually as a GM ask for two things: Intention and Approach.

The importance of intention is that I as the GM know exactly what the player wants. The goal of approach is to know how the character is going about it.

If intention or approach are unclear or too broad, I ask the player to clarify.

"I persuade the guard" is only sort of an approach but no intention and the approach anyway is vague.

So I ask him "what do you want the guard to do, and how do you do it?"

Pretty much this is a codified way to say "talk with your players and stop being a smug bitch,"

What are you doing in these threads, Pat?