Mario RPG General

Mario RPG: Pipes & Plumbers

>Rules
1d4chan.org/wiki/Super_Mario_RPG
>Races, Abilities, Items, Badges, etc. docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TNIGww-irrwywHgSCZPgCw_AT9Q5fmwAmyF2_8T0dBk/htmlview#gid=0
>Additional Races
pastebin.com/6HHbLh7c
>Campain RP Archive
akey.ca/gbrp/index.php
>Gameplay Test Log 1
pastebin.com/tqZPyfdz
>Gameplay Test Log 2
pastebin.com/8v8cK2BX
>Super Mario Wiki
mariowiki.com/Main_Page

Anyone wanna show how their sessions went?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y9cwF-jxZaA
youtube.com/watch?v=OvRobF6r7gM
youtube.com/watch?v=Xdwze-Wj6_4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I wanna know how your sessions went! This system looks fun but none of my regular group is interested!

Post Perks

>Duck For Cover! - +1 to damage resistance against your own attacks
>They Don't Think It Be Like It Is - +1 Smarts when identifying undiscovered phenomena
>Skills That Kills - +1 damage to targets that have less FP than you

We don't have a group to play with, but my friend and I made up characters for fun and came up with those.

Is this a legit playable party?

Yeah man go for it.

Random ideas off the top of my head:
>Headturner - +2 to Coolness rolls made to draw attention to yourself
>Nibbler - Using an HP-restore item heals you 2 HP, even when used on someone else
>Lightning Rod - The first ranged lightning attack made in combat must target you exclusively
>Ninjas Can't Catch You - Deal 1 fire damage on contact while affected by the Burn condition
>It's Still Rock And Roll To Me - +1 to damage resistance against sound-based attacks
>Get Him, Boys! - +1 to hit when outnumbering the enemy 2:1 or more

I like the perks that add new mechanics more than the +1/+2 ones, but I'm not sure how balanced they are. Any thoughts on these?

So far my group has pretty much just been brainstorming characters. Here's what we have so far:
>Pianta pirate with a heart of gold
>Stoic Toad navy officer
>Koopa chef searching for rare ingredients
>Toad historian/wizard searching for rare ruins
As you may have guessed we're going with a ocean/tropical island theme.

A couple more:
>Fortune's Fool - You count as two characters for the purpose of effects that pick a target at random
>Flashy Entrance - Use your Coolness stat in place of Power or Speed when attacking, but only in the first round of combat
>Cutting Remark - +1 to hit if the enemy is demoralized by an insult
>Martial Arts and Crafts - With a Smarts (1) check, quickly create a cardboard cutout that looks like a ninja duplicate

I would love to make a sandbox campaign using this map because it's really well done, but I have a few gripes with it.

>Pai'lio Island needs to be there
>Yoshi's Island needs to be part of an archipelago
>Diamond City nowhere to be found.

Is this based on something?

Reminder

It doesn't include any of the kingdoms from SMB3 either. It's a map of a Mushroom Kingdom and its immediate neighbors, and it's pretty good.

There's literally nothing about this that I can find online that isn't this chart and one comment that it's from Super Mario Land, where the koopa enemies are actually called bombshell koopas.

It's using areas from Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario/TTYD, Mario & Luigi, and various Mainline Mario games, the placement of the Beanbean Kingdom is spot on being southwest of the Mushroom Kingdom.

We can assume the Koopa Kingdom is north of the Mushroom Kingdom from it's placement in Super Mario RPG.

I guess Sarasaland is just that far south because it's you know, an arid desert.

Sherbet Land only exists in Mario Kart, so it's canonicity is debatable, but icy cold northern areas are kind of a staple for RPGs, and since the idea of penguins being a playable race has been brought up, it'd make sense to put them there. I even saw one guy saying it could be the homeland for the Tropical Freeze vikings and I like that idea a lot.

Donkey Kong takes place within the Mario universe so putting the Kong and Kremling islands there makes sense.

If we go by Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island is in fact part of a greater archipelago of islands that make up Dinosaur Land. So that's one screw up.

Regardless, I think it's the best map so far and it was made with tabletop in mind according to the artist. So if GMs feel the need to have a map of the region you're playing on, I'd say go with Blazbaros' map.

I do hope someone maps them out later, maybe they're in the western sea?

>left
From SMB, SMB3, SML2
>right
From SMW, SM64

Literally the only references to "Kaloopa Taroopa" on google are from Veeky Forums threads directly about that image.

>SMW
But when you beat SMW it shows all the enemies in the game along with all their names and those are called Koopa Troopas.

>Birabuto is not that big.

I believe it's mocking that Goombas from SMW have been renamed "Galoombas" in a Wii U game.

Are people truly so petty?

I feel like Delfino should be closer to Mushroom Kingdom.

Sound like transliteration inconsistency.

Here's a character I rolled up for a Subcon campaign that a friend of mine is running.

Xian Wa
>Race
Pionpi (+1 Toughness, -1 Smarts)
>Stats:
11 HP, 6 FP
4 Heart, 5 Power, 2 Smarts, 4 Coolness, 7 Toughness, 5 Speed
Xian Wa is a pionpi currently living as a vagrant in Barkar, a city in Subcon. She spends most of her time playing with dogs.
>Hometown:
???
>Racial Feature:
Otherworldly Stamina: Crushing traps and jump attacks don't damage a pionpi. Instead, they get stunned for a round. Fatal damage stuns for two rounds. This feature doesn't apply while stunned.
>Perks:
XIAN WA LOVES ANIMALS: +1 to rolls when interacting with animals outside of combat.
XIAN WA TRUSTS HER GUTS: Xian Wa ignores people who she feels are trying to trick her, ignoring social rolls that aren't the top 2 roll results.
>Abilities:
STOMP STOMP: A jump attack! Costs 1 FP.
SHOO SHOO: Xian Wa shoos away an enemy that is an animal, removing them from battle at the expense of them not dropping anything (including SP). Costs 1 FP.
>Gear:
Fancy Hat, Dirty Silk Clothes, Spare Dog Leash

I've noticed most of the characters people gravitate towards are the enemies. Has anyone made a Toad character? Or a human? If you do make a human, do you just make an Anonario and recolor a plumber outfit or do you have other concepts for humans in the Mushroom Kingdom?

I thought of making a princess but that would imply my character had a kingdom of her own and I liked the idea a little less. It's much easier to picture a fun Shyguy to play.

That isn't petty.

Most of the races are introduced as enemies.

It would be pretty funny to play a 9-5 office drone human who suddenly just got dumped in the mushroom kingdom.

Posts stats and maybe we can work something out

Daniel Jackson
>Race:
Human (+1 choose)

10HP 11FP
7 Heart 3 power 5 smarts 4 Coolness 3 toughness 5 speed
Daniel is currently tooling around the Mushroom Kingdom after his old life got torn away from him.
>Hometown: New York City (Manhatten)
>Racial Feature:
Starlike Ambition: - A human is quick to learn things, and his ambition inspires him to reach for the heavens and become a legend. Unless otherwise noted, a human receives a 1 FP discount on the cost of all specials; this cannot reduce the cost of a special below 1 FP.
>Perks:
Coffee addict: If consume a cup of coffee or substitute a day, will gain a bonus of +1 smarts and +1 speed, however if coffee has not been consumed for that day, will suffer -1 smarts and -1 speed.
Nervous wreck: The Mushroom Kingdom hasn't been kind to him in general, +1 defense roll if more then one enemy targets him.
>Gear:
Powerless cellphone (Android), dirty silk shirt w/ tie and worn-out shoes.

This is my first time working with this setting.

I've noticed that once the games started going 3D, the koopas started walking upright.

Good old Danny J. You should try a session or two using him when you get the chance. His character seems like it would be fun in a party of otherwise silly characters.

This is great, thank you.

SNES games were where Koopas started standing up. Yoshi's Island and Mario World both had it, plus the Koopa in Mario Kart.

Good job. You forgot to give him an ability and I'm not sure that you used all of your starting points; you should have six points to spend on perks and such, but I only count three or four depending on how your gear gets counted.

So here are my ideas for vehicle mechanics. Rough right now because I haven't gotten the exact numbers figured out. Posted this on the discord and some other users helped me out with the ideas(Thanks guys), but I want to see what Veeky Forums thinks.

>Each kart, bike, or ATV gets it's own stat sheet, stats being speed, acceleration, offroad, handling, etc.
>They don't level up per se, but can be customized with different parts which give them said stats. All "core" vehicle parts come from the Mario Kart games, specifically the most recent, MK8D
>Karts can be used as improvised weapons for ramming, better depending on the size and speed of the kart
>Characters on vehicles get a bonus to initiative
>When using a melee weapon when fighting with a kart, you get extra ramming damage
>Magic and ranged attacks have reduced accuracy, and enemies dodging a ranged attack get a bonus on dodging.
>Cannot be used indoors unless on an indoor track

How are you handling lore for your interpretation of the Mushroom World?

>All life is born from the stars, all came from star dust
>The first being was the Millennium Star, who was the first of the living
>He wished for more life like him, and so the seven star spirits were born
>They gave life and light throughout the universe, wishing to instill virtue within the soon to be born life across the various planets
>Little to their knowledge, a counterpart to the Millennium Star was born, a being of dark matter known only as the Dark Star
>The Dark Star hated it's existence, and thought of it as a curse, in his rage he created three subordinates, Smithy the lord of war, King Boo the lord of death, and King Wart lord of nightmares
>He and his creations attacked the Millenium Star and the Star Spirits in a war that lasted millenia
>The Dark Star and his creations were defeated and banished to a realm beyond the material world
>Afterwards any star children, called Lumas were born
>They needed one to help care for the children, as they became so numerous, so they searched for life in their universe, but it was undeveloped at that point, non-sentient.
>They traveled to another universe, through a means unknown to most mortals of the Mushroom Kingdom.
>There they came across Earth, and found a young girl who had just lost her mother, named Rosalina.
>Refer to Rosalina's story in GalaxyFuck you, I don't approve of MattPat or his shitty theories
>Rosalina was granted immortality and gladly cared for all the baby stars
>Humans became beloved by the Millennium Star and the Seven Star Spirits, they brought more humans willing to migrate from Earth into their most cherished world blooming with life, which has now come to be known as the Mushroom World

>Sentient life began to flourish in the Mushroom World
>The Toads and Goombas were born from the fungus of this world, the Koopas, Kremlings, and Yoshis from small reptiles, the Beanish, Pinata, and Noki from plants, the Kongs from the primates of a far off island, and the Penguins, the birds of the frozen North
>The humans were given dominion over the sentient races of the Mushroom World, and formed royal dynasties with the many creatures as royal subjects.
>The Stars took leave of the planet and let the
>Most human monarchs were benevolent, but some abused their power
>In the Northern part of the main continent, which would later be called the Koopa Kingdom, a cruel human king oppressed his koopa subordinates, he lived lavishly as he forced them to tirelessly work for his own pleasure.
>The other kings warned him he was abusing his power given to him by the stars, but he refused to listen.
>Meanwhile, the Dark Star, watching from his prison in the world of anti-matter saw this as an opportunity to overthrow the order the star spirits had put in place.
>He, through forcing his dark power into the world, warped this koopa to grow larger and more monstrous in appearance, increased his physical strength, and granted him great magic and fire breath. He started a war known as the Great Koopa Rebellion, and all the turtle-folk clamored to him as their savior
>The mad tyrant was overthrown and sent into exile, and the first of the Koopa kings were installed.
>The human kings of the many lands wished for peace with the first Koopa King, and he reciprocated, wishing only for a prosperous future for his people. This angered the Dark Star as it threw a wrench in his plans
>The Dark Star ordered the lord of nightmares, Wart, to influence the Koopa King in his dreams, to hate the humans, to blame them all for his people's oppression.

>He knew he could not drive out the human kings in his current state, so he instilled his hatred of humans in each of his children, and their descendants, and so on. Hoping one day his plans would come into fruition.
>One royal koopa started this conflict with humans, fulfilling his forebear's dream aided by the Magikoopa known as Kamek. This particular Koopa King would go on to be the father of King Bowser, the current, and most infamous of the Koopa Kings.
>He made his minions hunt the storks, which delivered the human babies to their parents, an easy way to target their fertility.
>The star spirits could no longer sit idly by, and blessed two twin boys, who would be named Mario and Luigi, to bring freedom and prosperity to the Mushroom World.
>The Dark Star intervened, and influenced the Koopa King to make their stork a high priority target.
>The boys survived, but landed on the island of the Yoshis, a peaceful Saurian race. The star spirits told them to protect these children, as they will be guiding beacons of hope and light in the years to come.
>Cue Yoshi's Island events
>Upon their parents gaining them back, they and many humans realized the world was becoming unsafe for them.
>They remembered the old scriptures, telling of how their forebears came to this world from another, and prayed to return.
>The star spirits, with heavy hearts, granted their wish. Though foretold that the two twins of destiny would one day return
>Humans who wished to stay and fight, did so, most notably the royal families of the Mushroom Kingdom, Sarasaland, and the seven island kingdoms to the west. Others ran from the main continent and formed an island settlement which would later be known as Diamond City.

>On Earth, it's the 1980s. And Mario and Luigi have made a humble living for themselves as plumbers after Mario had recently lost his job as a carpenters.
>Much prior to this, the two were orphaned upon reentering Earth, their parents died shortly after going through the portal set up by the star spirits, and the two were adopted by an Italian American family.
>Mario's time as a carpenter ended abruptly after a conflict with a strange ape(Who he would later learn was a Kong, an ape species which came from the Mushroom World) kidnapping his then girlfriend, Pauline, whom he then had a falling out with.
>Mario and Luigi formed a plumbing business together, and were one day contracted by the city on a highly classified job. Due to his recent fame in dealing with that otherworldly primate, Mario and Luigi were sent to deal with strange turtles entering through the sewer lines. As the two were taking care of them, they noticed a portal at the other end.
>Cue the events of Super Mario Bros.

And of course, the rest is all in the games.

A little rough, but it's a WIP.

Is that a monk? Monkshroom, op?

I enjoyed this. Good shit.

That's what I meant it as, yeah. It's actually a character from Color Splash but I ain't playing that shit.

No. That's one of the Toad Rangers or something from Color Splash. They are scouts and a sort of militia force in the color kingdom. A major component of Color Splash is finding these rangers scattered around the world, part of whatever color ranger troupe they're a part of.

Anyone looking for players? I wouldn't mind joining a game of this.

I did use the 8 stat points and I'm not sure how perk points work to begin with, although I should have added an active ability.

Right, I forgot that. My first console was the NES64.

I would love to if anyone is running a game right now.

You add your first four stats: power, smarts, coolness, and toughness. Then you divide the result by three. Your character's stats total 19, which give you six points to spend on gear and extras. You get one free perk and one free special. Any extra perks or abilities, any starting gear, any starting gear upgrade, any extra stats, and any pair of consumable items costs one point.
Your character has an extra perk, a dead phone, a dirty suit, and some shoes. That's four points worth of stuff. You have two more points to spend on things.

Some suggestions would be coffee to compliment the coffee addict perk. Two coffees are a point.
A lightly damaged solar cell charger for charging on the go. Worthless at first but could be repaired by a Shy Guy anywhere.
Mushrooms for healing. Can't go wrong with a few mushrooms.
Fluffy items like a wallet with family/pet photos, a pen with your company's name and slogan, or a suitcase. They might not have a strict in-game effect but they might be helpful for roleplaying.
Pants. Alternatively, fluff the suit as one item and spare yourself a point.
Reading glasses. Maybe they affect social interactions.

Ohh okay, thanks for explaining that, I'll do a small rewrite at home since doing it on the phone is a bitch.

>one free perk
Two.

>one free special
Specials do not cost PP. At all. Stop giving out misinformation.

>2PP on clothing with no effects
Fuck off.

>items are worthless if they can't be used in battle
Calm down, hobo

>You get one free perk and one free special.
You got that twisted. Every character starts with two free Perks, and there's no official limit on specials, since they're designed to be played fast and loose.

The only human characters I've seen built are a 9-to-5 cubicle warrior and Lebron muhfuggin' James, both accidentally dropped into the Mushroom Kingdom. What about the natives? Does it always have to be a fish-out-of-water story?

I was just working with what came to mind at the moment.

I want to go with what Loreanon posted. The only native humans left are those from Diamond City or the royalty of the Mushroom Kingdom, Sarasaland, and the SMB3 kingdoms.

Diamond City might also be former royalty who escaped the Koopa genocide.

As an addentum to the lorepost, what if Wario is a descendant of the tyrant who oppressed the Koopas?

I feel like this would be difficult to play due to obnoxious toad voices from my players.

Depends on whether they use Toad's screechy modern voice or his just plain high-pitched N64 voice.

>The all Toad party.

I just had an idea for that mad max mario setting they wanted to do.

One of the boss battles could be this, out in the middle of the desert, where's there nothing but silence, you hear a very quiet horn sound, youtube.com/watch?v=y9cwF-jxZaA getting louder and louder, with a dust trail coming along it.

Then it turns out to be Bowser's alive and kicking so far with this song suddenly turning on. youtube.com/watch?v=OvRobF6r7gM

Campaign idea: Bowser wants to join OPEC and has you the players try and clean up the Koopa kingdom while the officials from OPEC come and inspect the worksites.

Hay bay-bee u want sum ttrpg?

bump

Bowser is best dad

I wish that Bowser was my dad.

Fuck you user, now I'm listening to the song again.

Good shit

People have brought up the idea of running Zelda games with this system. How would a post-BotW campaign be? I love the map for it.

Which song?

Are you running one?

Can someone explain combat a bit to me im have some questions.
Do the enemys use any defense options like guard or dodge?
Are fights done on a map or paper mario style stage where you have to melee guys up front or can jump on anyone?
Can you get starting stats above 7 if you point buy first then choose race?
Any awnsers would be appreciated i got 3 players interested and would love to run it for them.

youtube.com/watch?v=Xdwze-Wj6_4

>Do enemies have defensive actions?
If they're competent enough. Usually, rivals may use defensive actions.
>How are fights played out?
I prefer the theater of the mind where you can see enemies and allies laid out roughly relative to each other; the engagement system facilitates this.
>Stats above 7?
Ideally, no. Race usually comes before stats, but that can stand to be a little flexible.

Cool

I would start them out from an older Mario Kart, and then use MK8s inbuilt customisation as your next step.

Mr. Blue Sky, asked this a while back but now that you're in the thread for real:

Can racial bonuses push starting stats above 7 when rolled for as opposed to pointbuy? I'm assuming yes.

Sucks that this doesn't have the intro to it.
>And then I'll join OPEC!

So a few threads ago I gave the backstory to my world, about 7 or 8 years prior to the campaign, a great crusade of Mario's friends banded together to stop a Pirate Nation led by Syrup and K. Rool, but were mysteriously never heard from again. I want to make sure that every single main character who would be there is accounted for, but I need help. Anyone who is not presumed dead didn't go on the mission/left before whatever calamity scattered the heroes.

>Luigi: Lost at sea and presumed dead, but not the case. After witnessing whatever defeated and scattered his friends, Luigi has hardened himself (on the outside only--he's still way too soft on the inside) and currently serves as a masked vigilante cowboy-type who defends a wild west-type port town from a gang of rogue Bob-Ombs.
>Toad: Lost at sea and presumed dead
>Yoshi: Returned home to Yoshi Island to save his race from a plague, but when the players arrive they discover that the entire species lies dormant and preyed upon by a Tubba Blubba analogue
>Donkey Kong: Did not come on the journey, currently King of Kong Island, which has grown increasingly hostile and isolationist due to DK growing distrusting in his age, especially after Diddy's disappearance. Related specifically to the party, one of the character's backstories includes Donkey Kong is believed to have killed the character's parents in a rampage, but that's likely not the full story.
>Diddy Kong: Lost at sea and presumed dead
>Daisy: Did not come on the journey, currently Queen of Sarasaland and growing more and more despondent by the day without, presumably, Luigi with enough diplomacy the party may learn that she's actually in love with Waluigi
>Rosalina: Space
>Bowser: Lost at sea and presumed dead, but not the case. Cowardly surrendered to Captain Syrup and now serves, unwillingly, as her bodyguard.

Why would you link me to the post I replied to? Clearly I was not satisfied by the answer included in said post, or else I would not have asked.

>Koopalings: The Koopalings, led by Jr., have taken over most of what was once the Mushroom and Koopa Kingdoms with all of the main characters gone. However, as Bowser had previously allied with the Mushroom Kingdom, they are mostly benevolent rulers who have simply taken control in absence of any government. They mostly all get along and have split the kingdom equally, but aren't the most competent rules. However, Ludwig has turned on his siblings and decided to stomp them all out, waging war on them and the rest of the Mushroom Kingdom from his northernmost kingdom.
>Wario: Refused to go on the journey and has bought his own kingdom from Roy, who wasn't interested in ruling in the first place.
>Waluigi: Lost at sea and presumed dead, but not the case. Inspired by the fierce might of the pirates he faced along with Mario and co., vows to become King of the Pirates. In the years since his disappearance, he has only managed to scrounge up a small dinghy and a single crewmate, a Bob-Omb named Bobert who often explodes accidentally.

Please, could definitely use some constructive criticism. Anyone I'm missing? Other than, obviously, Mario and Peach--I was hoping you guys had some ideas for them.

Last one, I forgot: Kaptin K. Rool has been mutinied by Captain Syrup and captured in a port town. He's one of the main plot hooks--presumably, he's the most accessible person who knows where the heroes have gone.

If you're using the dice roll style, then it only makes sense for racial mods to apply after the rolls are confirmed. You could conceivably have a stat higher than 7 after racial mods are applied, but you have to understand just how obscene that is.

Is it really that bad? I have a Shy Guy who rolled a 6 on Smarts, and is now sitting comfortably at 9. I would feel pretty lame making them re-stat.

>Luigi reduced to a two-bit vigilante at a port town
>Yoshis rendered an endangered species
>Daisy loves Waluigi, when all known game material states the two have abysmal chemistry at best
>Bowser surrendering without a fight

>reduced
He's basically the Man with No Name
>Yoshis rendered an endangered species
I don't know what else to do with T. Yoshisaur Munchikoopas, and it's an interesting quest idea
>abysmal chemistry
That's because she's tsundere for him
>without a fight
I haven't explained what calamity befalls the crew that makes him surrender and I'll keep it that way until I have to

When even a +1 mod is considered pretty important, yeah, coming out of chargen with a 9 in your best stat is nuts. You better have a very good explanation for those stats.

Well, the character is basically a turboautist nerd with 2 cool and 9 smarts, and the person running them plans to basically have them being a mumbling basket case who can't communicate well.

That's just Shy Guys in general, if we're honest with each other.

Sure, but presumably the Shy Guys other people are rolling up will at least be worthy adventures. I saw one in this thread that was a slick fast-talking politician type.

If I had a Shy Guy with a 9 in a stat, I'd make it Power and play this guy.

Forgot picture

Do "+2 to speed when moving on ice" and "+1 damage when headbutting enemies who aren't protected against spikes" work as perks?

>"+1 damage when headbutting enemies who aren't protected against spikes"

This is basically just +1 damage forever except in rare circumstances, isn't it?

Same with that other guy's coffee perk, really. When is he not going to have coffee?

I was afraid it'd be pretty strong, even if he is primarily a mage.