Wasteland Creation Thread

Alright you sons of bitches, I'm bored and drunk so we're gonna roll up a wasteland. Not just any wasteland, a post apocalyptic wasteland. We're gonna be using these two tables that I made to create Mad Max/Fallout style wacky wasteland factions.

pastebin.com/hffPWPRc
pastebin.com/nQczsrCU

We're gonna roll up the wasteland itself first, then a TBD number of major factions to exist in that wasteland. If none of the factions are sufficiently normal, something highly likely, we will work under the impression that there's some unfortunate normal-ish survivors who live around them.

So, to get us started, would someone be so kind as to provide me with a d100 for what the tech level of the world was pre-apocalypse?

Rolled 62 (1d100)

>Modern: Both cars and guns are made of plastic now, though that stuff isn’t likely to survive the dark times very well. If you can get some modern technology going though, you’ll be a step above.

Nice, you don't see modern apocalypses that aren't zombies very much. Now a d100 for climate.

Rolled 39 (1d100)

Tokyo Jungle was a good modern apocalypse but that didn't have any humans.

>Think Stalker or Metro: Last Light. The world has a permanent overcast and the ground is muddy with short twisted plants growing everywhere. Water and food are hard to find because of radiation.

Well, we might be the road or Metro depending on how these next rolls turn out. Kind of boring desu but it is what it is.

1d100 for animal/plant mutants.

Rolled 70 (1d100)

>Unfortunate: Mutations in animals are grotesque and dangerous. Think Stalker or Metro again. Animals are now a hazard in most places.

Continuing with a grim tone I see. Well, at least we know that this new world isn't totally empty besides humanity.

1d100 for location of our spotlighted patch of wasteland.

Rolled 76 (1d100)

Hoping for something original!

>Hell-burbia: A big city at the center and the outlying areas. Freeways criss-cross the land and are the many arteries of travel, as the main ground is clogged with cookie cutter housing and strip malls.

Makes sense for a modern apocalypse to be set where the majority of people in the modern world live. Travel is slightly more difficult, but there's more places to hide and more stuff to loot even years after the apocalypse.

Give me a d8 for number of landmarks.

Rolled 3 (1d8)

Aight, now give me 1d100s for each of those three landmarks. All at once or one at a time, your choice.

Rolled 22, 25, 85 = 132 (3d100)

Come on historical landmark!

>Bunker: Either a pre-war hold fast that was abandoned, a section of the subway system, or just particularly well reinforced basement.
>Bunker: Either a pre-war hold fast that was abandoned, a section of the subway system, or just particularly well reinforced basement.
>76-90: Natural Landmark: A lonely mountain, deep valley, lake, etc.

Two seperated sections of the subway maybe and then some significant natural landmark that somehow ended up still within the bounds of a city/it's suburbs. Maybe a park? Sorry for no historical landmark my friend.

Give me a d5+2 for number of factions in the city.

Rolled 5 + 2 (1d5 + 2)

Woo, you're back! I remember the last thread/s, those were great!

That's a lot of factions.

Welp, time to get started on the meat of these tables.

Give me 1d100 for the genetic state of the first faction.

Rolled 38, 6, 93 = 137 (3d100)

Mind if I just roll the first 3 times for this group to speed it up?

Eh, fuck it. Seven is a lot of these tables to go through. You can only roll that many every now and then though, don't want to deprive other anons the opportunity.

Genetics
>Part-Lives. The general norm, people die of cancer or other genetic problems fairly young but some make it to old age. Wouldn’t appear too ugly or malformed by today’s standards, but certainly not the cream of the crop physically.

Culture
>Tribal. New cultures have sprung up since the apocalypse, some more recognizably linked to the old world than others. Unique expressions of culture and unusual handmade items are the common distinctions for tribals. Usually have an odd accent/manner of speech do to lack of contact. Less “civilized” but often no less savvy to the wasteland than others. Usually looked on with confusion or condescension by groups more tied to the old world.

Leadership
>Anarchy. The group almost never actually makes decisions as a whole, but instead are unified simply by a culture and place of habitation. While they may band together and act as a cohesive unit in times of need, they often don’t last long in the wastes. Either lost to infighting, lack of unified strength, or simply drifted apart for various reasons.

Perhaps less of a tribe or faction so much as a cultural phenomenon? We'll see.

2d100 for cultural quirks of these tribals miscreants.

Rolled 69, 24 = 93 (2d100)

Anarchy is gonna be interesting with these guys.

>Distinctive Icon. A motif or symbol runs throughout the groups structures, clothes, and vehicles. Maybe it’s a specific animal or object, or maybe it’s something less specific like bullets or flames.
>Motor Worship. In a world of vast blasted wastes and monstrous hazards, access to vehicles is the dividing line between life and death for most. Some take this a step farther and literally worship their rides as tools of divine salvation. Maybe they revere them like holy animals, wear garb that evokes them, or even take violent offense to those who mistreat them.

Anarchic tribals that worship cars? Maybe some kind religious movement that deifies old world vehicles?

2d100 for what is distinctive about their appearance.

Rolled 16, 100 = 116 (2d100)

We only band together for the holy wheel.

Rolled 9, 7 = 16 (2d100)

Part of me just wants to flat steal the Church of V8 stuff from Mad Max, but i think we can do better. What about something silly, like worshiping Monster Trucks, complete with rally announcer style preaching and belief in the ancient figures of the "Gravedigger' and its pantheon.

>War Paint. When they go to battle, these people paint themselves, and maybe even their rides, in a distinctive style.
>Spikey. Their armor and cars are covered in a profusion of spines, blades, and other sharp nastiness. Does it serve a technical purpose or is it just to look badass? Only they know.

As it is, they certainly put a lot of effort into making their cars look nice. I don't know about monster trucks though, if only because they'd probably be too rare to build a concept around. We'll see.

1d100 for what the resource they possess that others want.

Rolled 11 (1d100)

>Guzzolene. Black gold. Everyone needs it, and it isn’t too rare to come by but not too many have the means to refine it. This group does, and it can be extremely lucrative.

Maybe they control a defunct refinery on the edge of town or a beached tanker. Either way, it would explain why they might worship cars. Perhaps wherever they get the fuel from is something of a Mecca for them, but otherwise they're left to wander on their own, proselytizing the black word.

1d100 for quality of their equipment.

dice+1d100

Options field my friend.

Rolled 29 (1d100)

Hope they got good equipment. I got a thing for technologically advanced tribals.

sorry about that first time rolling

>Ramshackle. Armor is cobbled together, guns are hand tooled, and houses/clothes are generally not in the best state. Pretty standard for most people, unfortunately.

You jinxed yourself my friend.

1d100 for their motorpool or typical vehicle.

Rolled 44 (1d100)

Motorcycles please

>Classics. Muscle Cars, roadsters, and trucks. The standard rides for most in the wasteland. Tough, reliable, and intimidating.

You guys really need to stop calling your rolls.

Give me 2 dice for their special gubbins.

Rolled 41, 98 = 139 (2d100)

>You guys really need to stop calling your rolls
Fuck you I want Turbo-Charged and Tesla Coils.

>Spikey. Cars are covered in spikes. Pretty simple really. Good for keeping people off your hood and exploding ordnance before it hits the main body of the car. Actual functional version of the same thing in the appearance section.
>Black on Black. Your come in any colour so long as it’s black. Stealthier at night, and more intimidating during the day. The black paint also seemingly correlates with higher skill among drivers. Re Choose to re-roll this or Shiny and Chrome if you get both.

What did I say? Though these are some pretty neat rolls. Maybe their warpaint/the paint for their cars is the black stuff they have so much of?

Give me a final roll for their flagship vehicle, then I'll sum these guys up and we'll move to the next faction.

This tribe sounds pretty fucking metal.

Rolled 27 (1d100)

I wonder if they have both decorative spikes and functional spikes.

>War Rig. Huge, heavily armoured, able to carry a ton of cargo, and manned/gunned like a fortress. War Rigs command the roads, and anyone who’s anyone has one. Generally made of a truck or two stapled together, but other bodies are possible. A combine for example.

Probably the classic oil tanker style given the rest of what they have going on.

Also, I would wager that they probably don't realize the difference between functional and non-functional spikes. They just have spikes all over everything.

Next post is summing these guys up.

Sweet

I hope this isn't a hot desert wasteland setting. Because black cars absorb heat from sunlight like a motherfucker

The first faction is anarchic part-life tribals who worship cars and have a specific symbol. They have lots of guzzolene and are entirely bedecked in spikes and black paint. Their ramshackle cars are mainly muscle cars and trucks with a big war rig as their flagship.

In other news, my computer just shut off and won't turn back on so I'm posting from mobile. I'm gonna try and figure out what the problem is, but if I'm not back in ten then someone else is gonna have to take over unfortunately.

Ah shit! Hope you get it sorted out soon, I've been enjoying this

Well, the tables are all at the top of the thread. Nothing stopping one of you brave anons from taking over if this proves to be more serious than I hope it is.

I'm ready, someone want to roll a d100 to determine the genetic stock of our next faction?

1d100

Rolled 8 (1d100)

You put dice+1d100 in the options field.

dice+1d100

>1-15:Full-Lives. Your clan is made up primarily of genetically pure and untainted humans. Certainly a rare sight in this day and age, you’ll draw more attention than you’d think. A temporary genetic fluke or something more permanent?

Wow, these people are already noteworthy for being incredibly healthy, and not just by wasteland standards!

Another d100 for the cultural group these healthy folks hail from.

Rolled 79 (1d100)

Settlers. The only “normal” people left. Generally just trying to make it through their daily lives without too many violent intrusions. Have built the most since the apocalypse, and generally behave the most like people from the old world. Don’t mistake civilization for civility or peacefulness though. Many are just as cold and merciless as raiders, as they have to be to survive these days.

Rolled 59 (1d100)

>46-65: Oligarchy. A small sect of the group lords over the rest. Similar to single leadership in their absolute power, but spread over a small group rather than one man. Almost as common.

So there's at least some structure in this group. Another 2d100 for the cultural quirks of these genetically pure, oligarchic settlers.

Rolled 83, 61 = 144 (2d100)

Wonder if this faction was formally from a old world government or company. I doubt being pure-strain is just coincidence.

>81-85: Pyromaniacs. See above, but for fire instead of blood.
>51-70: Distinctive Icon. A motif or symbol runs throughout the groups structures, clothes, and vehicles. Maybe it’s a specific animal or object, or maybe it’s something less specific like bullets or flames.

OH BOY. PYROS. If they're old world government, they've gone a bit off the rails. Any guesses what their distinctive icon might be?

Now 2 or 3 rolls of the d100 for the their appearance. Your choice.

Rolled 87, 31, 5 = 123 (3d100)

A pyromaniac, genetically pure group of xenophobes would be pretty cool.

clearly its flames....whatever appearance they clearly favor reds yellows and oranges.

>1-15: Swaddled. Wrapped up in distinctive trappings, these people’s skin is rarely actually seen. Maybe enviroment suits they never take off their bodies, maybe cloth wraps all over themselves to protect from dust and grit like a desert nomad. In any case, they might be seen as exceptionally mysterious due to it.
>31-35: Body Paint. Same as above, but they never go without their paint jobs.
>86-90: Body of Knowledge. The group preserves information on the bodies of it’s members. Technical diagrams scarified onto their chests, covered in tattooed text, etc.

These guys are certainly different. Must be quite a shock when someone actually gets to see their skin!

A d100 to discover their unique resource

Rolled 11 (1d100)

well no surprise there....they got lots of gas

>1-20: Guzzolene. Black gold. Everyone needs it, and it isn’t too rare to come by but not too many have the means to refine it. This group does, and it can be extremely lucrative.

That would explain all the flames. A d100 for the quality of their equipment.

Rolled 28 (1d100)

They probably sometimes fight with the first faction over controlling Oil of the wastes.

>1-40: Ramshackle. Armor is cobbled together, guns are hand tooled, and houses/clothes are generally not in the best state. Pretty standard for most people, unfortunately.

Not surprising. A d100 for their general type of vehicles.

This is a literlly a town of Pyros from TF2.

Rolled 79 (1d100)

>70-80: Fast. Sports cars, interceptors, maybe even a handful of race/supercars. Extremely fast, stylish, and fragile. Drink fuel like no one's business and will need a skilled mechanic to maintain, but the speed is generally worth it.

Very, very cool. Fast cars seem perfectly suited to this group of weirdos.

2d100 for their vehicle quirks.

Well if they like flames and the colour red, they certainly go faster.

Rolled 68 (1d100)

Is the other user still there?

Rolled 9, 4 = 13 (2d100)

New user, interested in seeing how it finishes.

>1-10: Shiny and Chrome. The group takes exceptional care to polish their vehicles to a brilliant chrome shine. Blind your foes with your swag and the shiny paint seemingly correlates with higher skill among drivers. Choose to re-roll this or Black on Black if you get both.
>66-70: Big guns. Heavy machine guns, flamethrowers, maybe even an autocannon. The group can pack some serious heat in a vehicular combat situation.

Not the original user, just stepping up to help.

Now to finish off this group, d100 for the flagship vehicle!

Rolled 61 (1d100)

>shiny sports cars with flamethrowers
Seems about right.

And if anyone feels like writing some more specific stuff, fleshing out the details and such, about each of these factions I'm all ears(or eyes I guess).

I want to but I'm heading to bed. If this is up tomorrow I'll gladly do one or two of the seven factions.

>51-70: Concert on Wheels. Like a drummer boy but way more awesome. Maybe it’s a squad of taiko drummers, a lone shredder on a flamethrower guitar, or an entire outfit of post-apocalyptic metalheads. Whatever it is, you’ll certainly not be going anywhere unnoticed, and it’s a very good way to get someone excited for killing.

So we've got a genetically pure group of mostly regular settled folk ruled over by a small group of elites. They cover themselves head to toe and almost never let outsiders see their skin, which is covered in body paint and tattooed/scarified with ancient knowledge of some kind. They also have some kind of distinctive icon which permeates their culture.

They're pyromaniacs who wield flame weapons in battle and mount them on their fast, shiny sports cars. They're presumably able to indulge this peculiar set of traditions because they have an unusual amount of "guzzolene" because they've preserved the knowledge of how to refine it but they're not especially skilled and most of their equipment is ramshackle.

It does not get better than this folks! The gods themselves have blessed this thread with the doof.

Rolled 75 (1d100)

G'night

>51-75: Half-Lives. Doomed to short lives, Half-Lives are always in need of breeding stock. Almost half don’t make it past youth, and any that do live absolutely no longer than 40. Riddled with obvious tumours and other disfigurements, they could pass for healthy if they covered up but the coughing is always going to give them away.’

Unfortunately quite a common state of affairs in the wasteland.
Roll d100 for the cultural group of this bunch.

Good night to you as well friend. Thanks for participating!

Rolled 7 (1d100)

new user here, let's do this thing

Rolled 35 (1d100)

They were almost much worse.

>1-30: Tribal. New cultures have sprung up since the apocalypse, some more recognizably linked to the old world than others. Unique expressions of culture and unusual handmade items are the common distinctions for tribals. Usually have an odd accent/manner of speech do to lack of contact. Less “civilized” but often no less savvy to the wasteland than others. Usually looked on with confusion or condescension by groups more tied to the old world.

And this one will be for the next trait, their leadership.
>1-45: Dictatorship. Whether they go by mayor, king, chief, tyrant, boss or any other blandishment of power, these men are the movers and shakers in the wastes. Strong willed and often ruthless, singular individuals often take charge of small groups, as has been the case in every historical era. They may have a close knit inner circle, but they always rule with absolute power when it comes down to it.

A malformed tribe ruled by some kind of dictator eh?

2d100 for quirks

Rolled 77, 5 = 82 (2d100)

I imagine a long line of stunted child kings.

These guys are basically the Kindergarteners from Recess.

>76-80: Bloodthirsty. Exceptionally violent and with a taste for gore. These psychos often paint with the blood of their foes and like to maximize the amount of it spraying at any given time. Make use of exceptionally brutal weapons to cause the most carnage.
>1-10: Death Cult. Unsurprisingly among the blighted folk of the wastes, some have taken to worshipping death, or the idea of a “Good death”. Perhaps it’s a mythical afterlife, a desire to see the world well and truly die, or simply a nihilistic belief that death is an inevitable constant in life, for whatever reason this group worships death itself.

Oh my. This seems like a genuinely unpleasant bunch.

2 rolls for their appearance

Rolled 45, 19 = 64 (2d100)

>36-45: Leathers. Never ride without your distinctive leather jackets and other assorted biker gear. Never.
>15-30: War Paint. When they go to battle, these people paint themselves, and maybe even their rides, in a distinctive style.

Don't ask where the "paint" comes from.

d100 for their unique resource!

Rolled 61 (1d100)

>unique resource
BLOOD
LOTS AND LOTS OF BLOOD

>61-75: Power. Not the metaphorical kind, the actual electric kind. Most people want it, but not everyone has it. Most of it gets made with gasoline generators but some have wind and even solar farms in working order.

Tribe ruled by one person with a heavy focus on blood, death, and leather with some type of power source. These folks are getting right terrifying.

d100 for their equipment quality!

maybe thats where the fucking tumors come from their malfunctioning nuclear plant

Rolled 19 (1d100)

Whatever. We'll just get Ramshackle again.

THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS

>1-40: Ramshackle. Armor is cobbled together, guns are hand tooled, and houses/clothes are generally not in the best state. Pretty standard for most people, unfortunately.

This may be little consolation but that's the first correct called shot all night.

Now for their vehicles. 1d100

Rolled 21 (1d100)

they probably wont live long enough to get their drivers licenses

>16-40: Custom. Either customized to unrecognizable extents or built from the ground up, these cars and trucks don’t fit into any pre-war category. Generally prone to mechanical problems and ramshackle stylings, but common and easily repaired.

They may be savage, leather-clad killers but they can sure modify some cars.

2d100 for vehicle quirks

Rolled 93, 97 = 190 (2d100)

Wonder if it runs on organic fuel, if you know what I mean?

Rolled 45 (1d100)

Wow, two Black. Neat.

>36-45: Spikey. Cars are covered in spikes. Pretty simple really. Good for keeping people off your hood and exploding ordnance before it hits the main body of the car. Actual functional version of the same thing in the appearance section.
>91-100: Black on Black. Your come in any colour so long as it’s black. Stealthier at night, and more intimidating during the day. The black paint also seemingly correlates with higher skill among drivers. Re Choose to re-roll this or Shiny and Chrome if you get both.

Exactly the same as one of our previous tribes! Except this time it's heavily modified cars and trucks instead of muscle cars.

Finally, a d100 for their flagship vehicle

Rolled 49 (1d100)

To recap: This tribe of "half-lives" is ruled by a single all-powerful person. They rarely live past adolescence and never make it to old age. They are particularly bloodthirsty and actually worship death. They wear leather jackets and biker gear and paint themselves with blood before going to battle. They control a power source of some kind but how they keep it going is a mystery since their equipment, homes, and weapons are all rather poor quality.

They do know enough to modify vehicles which they festoon with spikes before painting them black. Their flagship vehicle is a war rig.

These guys seem like the"barbarians" of this setting, at least of the ones factions we've seen so far.

3 down, 4 to go

Anyone willing to roll me a d100 for the next faction?

Rolled 43 (1d100)

All of the factions have been pretty cool so far.

>16-50: Part-Lives. The general norm, people die of cancer or other genetic problems fairly young but some make it to old age. Wouldn’t appear too ugly or malformed by today’s standards, but certainly not the cream of the crop physically.

The standard level of health in the wasteland.

Roll a d100 for culture

Rolled 93 (1d100)

>86-95: Mercs. Professional killers, these men fight and kill for a living. Feared throughout the wastes, despite their relative peacefulness compared to raiders. They kill when they want to, but only if it benefits their agenda. Well trained and heartless, they fly many flags but are united by common ruthlessness and battlefield skill. Religious extremists, political/philosophical idealogues, or just plain killers for hire.

Ohhhhh, good one. Killers for hire.

1d100 for leadership