Biopunk/Biotech/Gengineering Art

post what you got lads

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O4RLOo6bchU
theverge.com/2017/7/14/15972950/mosquitoes-google-alphabet-verily-debug-wolbachia-bacteria-fresno-california
mediafire.com/view/mqz3nfzitnpmxeu/Core's Crusade - Mechanical Aspect.pdf
mediafire.com/file/hae42fd2x42da8s/Core's Crusade - Dream Aspect.pdf
daemoria.deviantart.com/art/Posthuman-606140673
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Look up gigerverse/mundis carnis, prophet, and Splicers

big fan of wearable biotech honestly

>prophet
good fucking shit, I own all 5 volumes.

Splicers I found out about only recently, and I've seen the gigerverse stuff

>tfw no dragon dog

You guys ever read Ribofunk?

gonna dump for maybe another half hour before I head off to sleep

I've been meaning to
What I have read is Seed by Rob Ziegler. It's pretty ok, most negative reviews complain about how dark the world is but I see that as a plus

the Leviathan trilogy is also good

I'm really surprised no-one has posted those fuckable vehicles yet

ikr? its great lets keep it that way

im off to sleep now, if the thread is still up in the morning i'll find more shit to dump
regardless, I hope this is of use to someone

Most biopunk ideas are lame and just normal gear and spaceships BUT MADE OF LIVING THINGS!
I prefer the approach that things like Resident Evil take in which they use viruses and other kinds of pathogens in bio-terrorism to create Bio Organic Weapons.

any vehicle's fuckable if you're brave enough

>I prefer the approach that things like Resident Evil take in which they use viruses and other kinds of pathogens in bio-terrorism to create Bio Organic Weapons.
Which is a pretty retarded approach. Why would you engineer a pathogen that engineers other bio-weapons if you could just engineer a killer pathogen and use that as a weapon?

I must question the aerodynamics and power to weight ratio of this organism

How does this thing stand up straight

Space magic

>that thing
>space magic

>Can withstand the water pressure of the deep sea
>Adapt to the vacuum of space.
>Pressure
>Vacuum

Wat?

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Its always sad to see somebody with genuine talent try to make something novel which ends up looking derivative.

>Bee colonies.

Pardon?

Sup

JAPAN
APAN
PAN
AN
N

Its simple.

Make an arthropod carapace and fill the joints with Sphincter muscles. Now you have an armor capable of resisting high pressures but hermetic for space walks.

youtube.com/watch?v=O4RLOo6bchU

IIRC as the whale floats along the bees collect nectar from flowers along the ground and use it to make honey which is at least partially metabolized by the whale in flight

Realistically, retroviruses are likely to be used in the process of modifying DNA, so the Resident Evil approach is at least somewhat viable

Okay fine, I'll watch Gargantia

Then you'll love what Google is doing in California right now.
>theverge.com/2017/7/14/15972950/mosquitoes-google-alphabet-verily-debug-wolbachia-bacteria-fresno-california

If you don't take your gun to the shooting range twice a day, it will become lethargic and could develop behavioral problems.

Geneticst here. No. Thats not how anything works. Retroviruses are a tool for DNA modification, but they are far to limited in scope and precision to be useful for anything you need to work consistently.

Shame, I would contribute but all the bio-armor related images I have are smut.

Can't you just say that you just added more proteins on the capsid and enzymes to give it more autonomy and ability?(like linking complementary DNA strands to enzymes to precisely locate the parts of the chain you want to modify)

So you Have different responses for different tissues with a huge viral load for every different tissue or having a multipartite(I don't know how its said in English; they are viruses that enclose different part of the DNA in multiple capsids, mainly seen in plant viruses) formed in statistical proportions of different viruses specialized.

Surely some of them are SFW?

The thing you're missing is the degree of complexity that entails. We understand bio-molecules as small, which makes us think they are simple, or somehow elemental albeit massively diverse and idiosyncratic in their action. In reality, they are very unstable, and only serve their function by attrition. Its not uncommon for a process to throw a million copies of something at a problem to have it solved correctly a handful of times. Viruses work because they use as few parts as possible; there are only two points of failure. Each element you add adds several more points of failure, both in its active site, and whatever site keeps it bound to the complex as a whole. Thats to say nothing of dimerization of disparate elements.

This creates a common pitfall for people who are learned but unpracticed in molecular biology: it is very easy to come up with complex, well thought out structures that achieve complex and important goals. However, in reality, the capricious nature of bio-molecules is not so well understood, and all it takes is one unintended action or interaction to cause the whole system to fail. Even our most advanced antibody therapies use three or fewer components for this reason.

Even if you could, you're missing the point of a biological weapon, which ultimately is to kill the enemy as efficiently as possible. A better use of the technology would be something like FOXDIE.

i like this guy's art

it's all very bizarre

The rest of Keith Thompson's Borderlands work.

>6

its a shame that Kieth's only work nowadays is on the shitshow that is Warframe.

I didn't know Keith Thompson was still working on Warframe? In fact, I thought he only did some early designs?

The point of the T-Virus wasn't to engineer bio-weapons, that was a side effect. It was originally intended to evolve humanity into a "god-like" and/or "immortal" state by inducing a specific sequence of rapid mutations.

Even the newer stuff reeks of a poor interpretation of his hand. I assumed he was still on with the project for a more consistent income stream.

>doritohead

These days I think most people see Warframe as just a collection of neat artwork with a poorly designed game hanging off it like a dead conjoined fetus, so in a way it's not that different from if he was just working on his own universe which wasn't attached to anything. It's not a waste if it's the only part that anyone remembers.

The idea is interesting but its not clearly thought out. It would be interesting if everything that would normally be a mechanical component was a human-analog organic component (which he does already) with the right use-case (which he doesnt). Its all just vaguely grotesque, which is neat but not necessarily evocative.

I did not know this genre existed. God it is cool!

Id say that the realization of his style has been poor. Everything is far too chunky compared to his sleek, composite organic designs. Nearly every design feels like a balloon animal, especially the standard enemies. Ultimately the game's failing is tone and implementation. Just sitting here on my couch I could think of a dozen changes to Warframe that would each make it worth playing, but as is the designers seem more focused on making a 3D version of Gaia online.

So fucking mad this series isn't getting continued.

It kinda blew its load in the first season.

No people are just addicted to the grind to be able to play the little amount of good game play and story there is.

Hmm... I get what you say, but to some extent I would argue that the part where we know how to fold proteins, make them self assemble into the quaternary level as we want and have very little variation for stability is akin to people saying that they use Inertial confinement fusion reactors or Artificial General intelligences on pentiumIVs in their stories.

We are not going to delve much into the details and to satisfy the hard-science autism sense we just need to throw numbers and mechanism that at least explain how the system works, and it should be done in a comprehensible level.

For example, I can just say; I use a highly modified Brocadia anammoxidans to get hydrazine and use it for maneuver propellant in my ship or gas in my rifle, and if someone start asking questions say that instead of taking 1 week for every generation you put it the generation number under 1 minute and accelerated the general metabolism with increased avaliability of nutrients while giving a regulatory process in which the accumulated hydrazine in the anammoxosome is released when it reaches a certain trigger(maybe the bacteria enters the stationary phase, maybe when a certain volume or molarity inside, as far as I know triggers in biological organisms aren't rocket science).

So, it wouldn't work in real life? No, but it now has a plausible basis and adds credibility and richness to the universe, which is what we are looking for in the end.

>we know how to fold proteins and make them self assemble into the quaternary level as we want.
No. We dont. We know how naturally occurring structures do so, and we copy those domains. Even then, not all complexes operate properly.

I do this for a living, Im not just some pop-sci enthusiast.

I see your point though that using something thats at least semi-plausible does lend some credibility to a narrative, but at the same time most people dont really care either way. A virus is a virus to the layman, and as long as you tell people what it does, they wont care how.

It's a pity, the juxtaposition of the space war and the people living ordinary lives in floating cities was what attracted me to it. But I think a lot of people preferred one or the other and the producers weren't able to maintain the balancing act.

Yeah. It didnt know if it wanted to be aqua-k-on or Gundam V Squiddam. The two are fairly mutually exclusive in tone and scope. The show would have been much better if it were told from the native's perspective entirely rather than starting us off with space stuff.

I intended to say that we don't, I don't know why I left out the "not" in that phrase(If we knew Earth would probably be much more amazing)

Most people don't, care, but from my point of view a story needs to have some real life anchor to it so it doesn't stray into the magic unicorns and we can call it realistic.

To have that anchor, we need detailed descriptions and the deeper they go the more consistency is added.

In the end, yes it's a matter of preference.

post them anyway

OP here, will resume dump now

this is very interesting
would you say that gene-drives might smooth out bio-molecule interactions?

No battle angel Alita?

Gene drive tech is irrelevant to the structure of product proteins/complexes/etc. Gene drives are just complexes which force inheritance.

I was digging around the archives earlier and found this
i need to look at it more in depth but its a pretty cool setting from what ive seen so far
download:
mediafire.com/view/mqz3nfzitnpmxeu/Core's Crusade - Mechanical Aspect.pdf
mediafire.com/file/hae42fd2x42da8s/Core's Crusade - Dream Aspect.pdf

yeah that makes sense, thanks for answering bud. i'm majoring in bioengineering so this shit interests me

this shit is weird daemoria.deviantart.com/art/Posthuman-606140673

Be sure to pick up some experience in High Pressure Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), its in really high demand and I regret not learning it in my undergrad.

Got any other questions?

Might a solution then be to use a more complex organism like a fungus or worm to get around the stability problems? I'll admit that this is way outside my area, but my understanding is that error correction is a prerequisite for multicellular life.

Did you watch the OVA? It ends on a fairly interesting sequel hook, though if it does get continued it most probably would be centered around a completely different cast.

I think I'd like it more if I didn't see it so often on /pol/.

Yes, but then you end up with a system that is much larger and therefore much more susceptible to detection and response (the strength of viruses is that even to cells they are like toxic dust motes), and that a more complex organism has more complex metabolic priorities such as specific nutrients or reproductive strategies, meaning that it may settle into a more productive "behavior" that is more beneficial to itself but less productive for you and your goals.

Evolution is more varied than people realize; if such a thing were viable, it likely would have occurred at some scale. For example, there are demi-protists which contain cells within cells within cells nurturing and hosting multiple generations internally that then burst forth with the death of the parent-host, others which feature a fully formed linear digestive tract in a single cell, and others which have motor apparatuses that would put even the most speculative nanotech to shame. However, interesting as these solutions are, they have stayed small scale because they are not very efficient relative to the complexity they add.