Storing minitures

How does Veeky Forums store their collection?

I don't want to just leave them on the shelf because the shelf isn't big enough anymore and they'll end up sticky with dust like the sets I bought off ebay.

pic related seems overpriced for foam and cardboard though

For cheap, unpainted ones, plastic bins.
for more expensive ones, you can buy that foam anywhere in a craft shop, cut it yourself, then put it in a nice carrying case like they sell at walmart.

I use battle foam. All premade miniature foam is overpriced. You're paying for the appearance. If you don't care that it looks like shit, you can make your own foam storage for pennies out of foam slabs, a knife, and a tub.

I have a handful of metal toolboxes and all my minis are magnetized at the base.

OP here

I live in China and went out to the supermarket for some other shopping and found something like pic related while I was there.
It's a dumpling storage box, for when your mother-in-law makes 50k dumplings in case of apocalypse and needs to freeze them.

The ones I bought are slightly bigger, I can an orc or two kobalds in each cell and I guess there are about 30 cells in each tray, three trays in the box.

So that's the problem sort of solved for most of my minis, I also bought a layered tool box which will fit the bigger ones I think.

I'll go looking for foam layers on the weekend and see about something I can carve into a tray.

Get magnets 3Lx2D or 3Lx2D mm work fine. Depending on the miniature you'll need 1-2 and for heavier stuff 3-5

Grab a metal box or grab a box you like and make racks of metal sheets. Bam! No need of faggot foams just throw them in and the magnets will keep them in place.

On my floor usually, most of my minis end up as crushed bits I must have spent thousands but they usually end up trashed and broken because of bad storage. I'm always finding random bits of them all over my carpet or crushed in boxes. Pretty funny especially when it's forge World stuff.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Got a Cardboard case from battlefoam corp with some foam to fit my starter sets. Going to make my own foam storage to fit said cases for the future.

If this thread is alive in a couple of hours or so when I get home will post. I've been clearing stuff out and selling old crap so it's not as bad as it was but Jesus it's bad still. Hate myself for it sometimes.

I'm planning to buy a bunch of battlefoam since I have lots of monsters and tanks. Would rather just have the same system across my armies.

A tackle box. I was able to store 5 armies of A&A minis in it. I was also able to store corresponding cards and MtG cards on the bottom. It was a kind that had a buckle on the front, opened up and multiple trays folded out

The bottom of an egg carton.

Perturabo

Got one of those craft storage tool box things, it's yellow and black and about a foot tall. Kinda clunky but it works. I have over 300 D&D and Reaper miniatures now so I need something to contain them all in.

kind of fitting for him though

Display case, with XL version of the box in picture ready to use in case display becomes full/needs to go.

how old are you?
Sort yourself out.
Tidy your room.
It saved my life.

26 and it's technically my parents guest bedroom now...

Oh mate, I feel bad for calling you out now. You've got to sort that out mate, and you'll feel better for it and maybe even do some hobby.

I spent a couple of weekends sorting out my stuff, buy a load of cheap food tubs and ziplock bags, and sort it as you go. Each one contains something like all my Terminators or a Blood Bowl team or Necromunda gang or something. The bigger boxes have compartments where I split stuff like weapons, arms or torsos up.

Thanks bro..

That seems stupidly obvious with the plastic boxes. I have no idea why I hadn't thought of doing that before... I'll pick up some stuff at the weekend and sort through everything I have bit by bit I think.

Unassembled: in their original boxes inside the closet.
Assembled unpainted: either in battle foam or in lowest levels of vitrine.
Painted for gaming: either in mid levels of vitrine or in battle foam.
Painted for display: Top levels of vitrine.

I like plastic boxes like these, and fishing tackle boxes such as those from Plano, or simply dollar store medicine boxes or compartment boxes.

Problem is they're not as good as foam because it's still plastic (even if it's softer plastic) and if you have something like delicate spearmen rattling around in there, stuff is gonna snap off eventually.

I just scoop em up and throw em in gallon baggies