I won't join your game

>pure sandbox
> 100% improv
> won't do any prep at all
>amnesiac scifi

No thank you.

What turns you off to joining a new game?

> we'll be playing 5E

There was a guy here on Veeky Forums trying to recruit players for an Exalted game, where everyone would play mortal characters. Not in a 'session zero' kinda way, but they were going to stay as mortals, unless the GM decided they were worthy of Exaltation. He explicitly said it wouldn't be an even thing, but that the party might end up with this guy being a Lunar, this guy being a Solar, and everyone else being mortals.

For those that don't know Exalted, this is like having a D&D campaign where everyone plays level 0 commoners, until and unless the DM lets you start taking levels in Bard or Paladin. And he was proud of himself, too. He was going to show off the true darkness and danger of the setting, and show all those spoiled Exalted players what's what.

>the selling point of the system
Na fuck that.
Its like playing DND with a D12 instead of a D20

>amnesiac scifi
Wat

As in you dont remember anything in space

We were playing a game in the uni library. A friend of our GM walks past, sees what we are doing, and starts a conversation. So far that's just the cost of running a game in a public place.

Then he starts talking about the game he's planning to run. He's already picked a system and the setting that comes with it and spends a good 5 minutes talking about that setting. He doesn't say a single word about the campaign he's planning to run. All he knew about what we liked was that we were playing a sci-fi game, the setting he had chosen was a fantasy setting.

So he did two things that annoyed me:

> Talked big about the setting without mentioning the setting or what kind of game he was planning to run.
I think one of the reasons this is such a red flag for me is that the worst game I've run was when I did the same thing.

> Interrupted the game we were playing to try and get players for his game.

He then left, we got back to our game, and I never heard about him again. So it turned out well.

>your characters will be orphans and raised by community
>humans only. Fighter, ranger or thief
>this game will involve planar travel
>its sifi, but in dnd

>sifi
>not syfy

Lol, then go to a planet.

>no humans
>DMPC
>"I'm a philosopher first" -GM
>intrigue
>all the other players are obscure monster races
>more than 5 players
>constant bitching about the system

>Core only
even worse
>Core only no magic items. What do you mean the system takes into account the chars have magic items? nah, I don't believe you
Shit nigga what you're doing
>Core only, no magic items, humans only
Death the destroyer of worlds
>Core only, no magic items, humans only, you'll be accompanied by my half dragon, half angel, half demon kitsune bloodsworddivinemage. No, you can't be a totem barbarian, that's furry

>railroad
>0% improv
>se tting is overly complex
>bog standard fantasy

No tank u

I run a sandbox and my game is ~95% improv (I scribble down place names, names of NPCs, and 6-word plot hook ideas) and my players enjoy playing. They're renovating a dilapidated fort that they cleared of a vampire and his lycanthrope minions. Am I GMing wrong?

Fuck DMPC if there are more then 2 players

>My DMPC will be leading you on missions, if you can't handle it he'll step in to save you

To each their own. It's not like most of these are hard rules that mean you're bad. It's a thread about personal dislikes.

>What turns you off to joining a new game?
A lot of things, hence why I play with the group I've found that makes gaming a priority and screens out toxic people. Anyone who:
>is male and plays female characters
>plays gay, trans, whatever characters
>has dyed hair or any piercings
>wants to play Savage Worlds, Dungeon World, FATE, or FFG Star Wars games
>has ever watched Critical Roll
>has ever played Dark Souls or Skyrim to any significant amount
>are into felicia day or will wheaton
>smoke weed or any other drugs
>gary johnson / bernie sanders voters (easy to spot)
>want to play tiefling, drow, dragonborn, or any other non-standard race as their first character
>want to use homebrew
>want to port in ANYTHING from video games or anime
>hell, even anime itself is a pretty strong red flag
is not welcome in my game. Now you might think, "well shit bro, those are some pretty high standards. you must not have any friends at all, lol!" well then you'd be wrong. I carefully curated my group over the years to have the perfect players. You see, I don't need to look for a new group because I built my nest in the world early on. I am one of the best DMs out there, and there have been literal waiting lists to get in my games (I don't DM for groups of more than 5 players, and 3 is my preferred number) and I have had to exclude people before. See, when you run a game, you bring the value to the table. Players do, too, but for every person who wants to DM there are 20 people who want to play. It's a seller's market.

>not wanting to research your shitty build from 400 splatbooks is bad
>not wanting to hand out magic items like candy and rob them of any value they have is bad
>not wanting to DM for a party of tieflings assimars dragonborn and 16 other shit races half of which are extraplanar, for a campaign starting in an average fantasy town, is bad

I agree that no-magic items and humans-only are kinda too far, same with DMPCs and shit. Core only is also kinda retarded, but was necessary for my game where they all played weird ass builds and then misinterpreted the rules for them so I finally lost my shit and said core-only because for fuck's sake none of them have ever played a core class in their life.

Don't you have a giant spider possession movie to watch?

>trying this hard

That actually sounds kinda comfy. But I was part of one of those groups who liked standard 3.5 dungeon crawls.

That was me. I am sorry.

>my players enjoy playing
>Am I GMing wrong?
You cannot be asking this question unironically.

>none of them have ever played a core class in their life.
As it should be, core martials are garbage and core casters are broken as fuck

You should be. How dare you?

5% makes a difference.
I just don't like sandbox anymore. I want a story that has a point.

>All books are available
>magic items come from book of blue magic
>all stats are above 16
>everyone's a lycanthrope
>using pathfinder

Or try

>modern setting uk
>everyone 17-21
>everyone students
>apart from GM's friend
>top armed policewoman aged 18
>has a trunk load of guns in England
>so sexy people are cumz just from seeing her.
>never gets hurt when fucking up.

>I am one of the best DMs out there, and there have been literal waiting lists to get in my games
Sure thing buddy.

What can I do to make you forgive me?

Has anyone tried a game where core classes and spells are banned? You hear about them online but I've never heard the result of one.

Shit dude who pissed in your kool-aid

What part of "never" was unclear?

I hate these, but the only Scifi GM I know adores this sort of opening. My life is suffering.

>DnD

There must be a way.

I'll forgive you if you explain your line of reasnong to me.

Underrated

I've changed, I swear it.

There was none. I'm sorry. I was being stupid.

Just sounds like bullshit because your boasting comes off as a ego trip

>video autoply to a citroll video
>Three seconds in
>sky grows dark
No user no, I didn't know I swear
>icy cold mist floats in
>smell of ben-gay over powering
Please, I'm sorry!
>falls to the ground
I AM ONE OF THE BEST DM'S IN THE WORLD. YOU HAVE BROKEN THE RULES.
>tears fall
YOU ARE BANISHED . YOU ARE TO LEAVE YOUR D20 BEHIND. I DO NOT WISH TO SEE YOU AGAIN

There's a logic to it. You want to make your players go headfirst in a homebrew setting and have them behave in a way that's consistent with said setting all the same, you have two options:

- Hours of teaching them what their characters are supposed to know about the world ;
- lol amnesia

Guess which one is easier and doesn't turn away people from giving your campaign a chance

>I've changed, I swear it.

Shit I'd watch that.

I think they might be still okay of there are 3 players and the DMPC is a supporter, but your point is valid.

I got 4 points on your scale.

Does your dad work for Nintendo by any chance?

This bait is so delicious I can't help but bite.

How are there huge waiting lists of people who
A: Haven't played Darksouls
B: Haven't played Skyrim
C: Have never seen anime
D: Play D&D

Those are subsets upon subsets, there can't be THAT many people.

Don't be like this. You're hurting me.

"You grew up on this one specific world, here's the primer on it. You know of interstellar society, but you've never really dealt with it before."

There you go. You're covered and your players will thank you.

The answer is that it's just bait you moron

Well A&B is to a high amount not just touched it.

Stop power gaming

Hey, I didn't say I agreed. I'm saying "ur amnesiac lol" is the easiest way to start a campaign.

>no prep
>featuring memes xd
>freeform -> players always win
>challengeless tasks
Alternatively:
Players who don't stand challenges or complain ooc

>the gm's girlfriend is in the group

pass

>amnesia anything
Just fuck off with that shit.

I have never played Dark Souls. I have never played Skyrim. I have never watched anime besides the first episode of Attack on Titan to get my friends off my back, and they sat with me and watched it. Nothing else.

No? I honestly don't know where my dad works, it's been a couple months since I've talked to him. Thanks for reminding me.

Maybe, but maybe that's because I've been constantly requested to GM games by dozens of people. I have quite a wide network and if I don't like you, I can drop a few hints on my way around and pretty much get you blacklisted from any game in a 35 mile radius.

Hahahhhhaaaaa
Fuck man. Your such a joke.
Don't come to close to me, I don't want to be cut by your edgeness

>women in the party
>my gf in the party
>normies in the party
>people in the party expecting to be your friend/ally off-game, or be treated as such, if you partecipate
>drama queens
>discordian queens
>GM likes Harry Potter
>GM sets the game in an open world where nothing happens
>GM inserting magical realm
>more than 6 players
>cats on the game table

It's not tho. It requires an explanation that isn't gay, which is almost impossible.

So in short you don't like those icky girls getting into your secret boy's club where no Homers are allowed?

>whole campaign trying to figure out who the fuck you are
>you're a rebooted brain with basic knowledge uploaded and a 3d-printed body, you actually have no past

5e is so bad
d&d for normies tbqh

>Maybe, but maybe that's because I've been constantly requested to GM games by dozens of people. I have quite a wide network and if I don't like you, I can drop a few hints on my way around and pretty much get you blacklisted from any game in a 35 mile radius.

ASTONISHING POWER LEVEL

No, it's like playing dungeons and Dragons but the game all takes place in a small town where no bandit raids or evil wizards ever do anything that affects it, and the players can't get past level one.

Roleplay.

>an explanation that isn't gay.

Being a plausible explanation doesn't stop it from being gay,

>Yeah, I know how this system works. I asked Veeky Forums

>We'll be playing core-only because it's balanced!
>This will be a low-magic Pathfinder campaign!
>This will be a WW2/modern/sci-fi campaign, using D&D 5e!

I don't like girls crashing every game by being:
>obnoxious cunts, kawaii shrill voice screamers, GM-fuckers, messing up with IRL relationships in game, demanding attention in and off game, becoming the "emotional confessor" of the party only to spread gossip shortly after
>hate normies because they automatically become orbiters and never call out obvious bullshit bcuz muh soggy knee and white knighting

I like to avoid trainwreck games
>sorry, not sorry

Playing as a group of level 0 commoners sounds like fun to me. Never looked into Exalt so I cant say much about that.

>I recently binged on [show/game/movie series/book series] so this campaign is going to draw heavily from that one.

> I created my setting from the ground up making sure to have as little influence from other sources as possible.

Neither of theses extremes are acceptable.

Well those are really fucking awful people to play with, but this still comes off as you being a misanthrope more than talking from experience.

>you're right, but you're an asshole

>54681764
>not wanting to play a breaking bad campaign as the side characters of the story e.G. as a police officer

if your players are enjoying playing, you're not GMing wrong, no matter what grognard fa/tg/uys say.

>do the same
>except i map out the locations and put in work for all kinds of playstyles
>they reject some kinds of content
>prep wasted because players didn't make evil characters
>replaying the thing seems unlikely at the moment

that said you dont really get to bitch if a player turns down an invite after finding out your gm style

>implying I want to be within a 35 mile radius of you

user, I'm sorry your dad left your mom and hasn't called in a few months, but maybe if you cleaned his cum out of your asshole and took a shower he might be interested in you again.

But how powerful are you in meaningful things like careers or relationships

The fact that you're a giant fucking sperg hides the fact that this is pretty solid except for the Dark Souls part and I'd limit Critical Roll's hardcore fans.

>Maybe, but maybe that's because I've been constantly requested to GM games by dozens of people. I have quite a wide network and if I don't like you, I can drop a few hints on my way around and pretty much get you blacklisted from any game in a 35 mile radius.
Narcissistic Personality Disorder

That's until you realize that the GM's friend is the Gary Stu of the story and can do anything you can do better than you, 200%

And you can't kill him no matter what.

>other player mentions Veeky Forums
Immediate red flag

"hey man I saw your post in the Veeky Forums gamefinder"
"BLOCKED BINCH"

Exactly

>people who make pop culture references in character

>running a game in a public place
I hate you spastics so much, you're always screeching and yelling about everything in the fucking game, please end your lives

Haha

I don't know man, my dual-wield rogue is a Goddamn murder factory.

>I'm a chaotic neutral gender-queer dragonborn fox-kin vampire fairy

Some people need to get laid

where do people here go to find games online

like lewd ones but with actual DM/rules and not just dumb fuckRP stuff

I played a game in where no core classes were allowed.

>"we're playing D&D"
>oh... okay
>"I'll be using the default setting in the books"

>"we're playing a realistic fantasy game"
>"I'll be using Vampire Dark Ages rules"

Personally, I've always wanted to play a game where the party all take only NPC classes. Warrior, aristocrat, etc. Maybe more heavy on politics than combat. Seems like it'd be fun for a one-off or something.

This is good pasta, I remember seeing this the first time months ago. Well done, you got a lot of folks who don't remember.

>you're a giant fucking sperg but this all sounds good to me

time for self-examination user

Eh, the people that got me into this hobby were all incredibly elitist so I kind of have a soft spot for that.

>breaking bad campaign as the side characters of the story e.G. as a police officer
We actually did this after season 2. Was good fun. used Funky Colts if anyone knows that system.