>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/knightfall-coco-1/
channelfireball.com/articles/magic-math-orator-of-ojutai-collected-company-and-dragons-of-tarkir/
channelfireball.com/articles/magic-math-how-consistent-are-spoils-of-the-vault-collected-company-and-griselbrand-in-modern/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/poison-sun/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-07-17-aFc-abzan-midrange/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hard-lock-jeskai-iso/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is mill finally tier 2?

no

I don't know. 4 out of 5 is a pretty good win rate. Better buy mill cards off Card Kingdom right now.

Mill is and always will be garbage

this triggers the mill faggot

STOP NETDECKING REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

tiers are based on the distribution of decks in meta
mill is irrelevant, 4/5 may be luck, is it a friendly or competitive league?

>being under the radar triggers me
It just means no one has any sideboard for me.

it means your deck isnt competitive enough to be taken seriously

And yet it beats """"""competitive"""""" decks?

>Probably a couple too many dorks
I don't think mana dorks are very cuttable since getting to 3 mana on turn 2 I feel is very essential to keep a good and competitive. I maybe could be talked into going down one Bird.

>4 temple garden is overkill
Usually yes but this is Knight of the Reliquary deck. Not going to replace one with Razorverge.

>Maybe a Wildwood or two would be good.
Forgot. I like 1-of.

And some other minor changes. Now up to 3 "taplands" which might be a bit suspect.

Anybody Knightfall players able to help me put together a real sideboard? Also maindeck suggestions too.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/knightfall-coco-1/

Never ever.

can i get proof for it in leagues
also 5 games is not a good sample size

Eldrazi were a mistake

Why not add the Knightfall stuff as well?

>GSZ won't make Modern elves better

You're high as fuck if you don't think that having access to Archdruid, Ezuri, Shaman of the Pack, Heritage Druid, E-Wit, and turn 1 Arbor won't make the deck stronger. Plus Teeg, Rec Sage, Scooze or other board card of choice. Of course it makes the deck absurdly stronger.

Whether GSZ is still banworthy today is a different question, but let's not pretend that it won't make elves better

They aleady run Chord, so the toolbox is nothing new. The main thing they get is T1 Arbor off of GSZ that basically guarantees three mana turn two alongside the other dorks they run.

I'd work on that maindeck before anything else. You want at least 2 pridemages since exalted is really good in this deck and it helps hedge against affinity/artifact and enchantment decks and the same goes for voice since he can provide a decent blocker and value/threat, also some number of Scooze is good as well. I wouldn't even run Crucible snake in knightfall at all since we aren't really breaking it like some of the GW taxes decks do. Aven is also not amazing in this deck unless you play in a meta with a LOT of tron. I'd probably add some number of Courser and Selfless spirit too. Also try to run 28 creatures at least because 27 is kind of skimpy in my experience. You also may want to consider more Reflector mages main since he's pretty good right now and some E witness for the CoCo grind and to recur other stuff.

For my sideboard I usually play some toolbox creatures like Teeg and Staticaster, A little counter magic and then some flex slots for the meta.

Again the format is far too removal heavy. The only way for Elves to have access to absurd amounts of mana in Modern is for a super wide uninteractive board. There's no way to save your Archdruids at instant speed with Sylvan Safekeeper and there's no Wirewood+Gaea's Cradle interaction for the format either. Believe me i've done a heap of testing on this against the tiered matchups right now and it's not even remotely broken as you think it is.

All the things you listed is already done off Chord and you can convoke for that which effectively cheats you more mana than GSZ would and can be done at instant speed. The only thing that's sizeably strong is GSZ for 0 getting Dryad Arbor and Gaddock Teeg.

-1 bird -1 scooze
+2 voice of resurgence

I also forgot to mention that 3 Ghost quarter is too much for this deck if you want to play it traditionally. If you want to play with Crucible snake and do some crazy stuff with that you might want to look into the GW company decks. Also play a Gavony Township it's amazing in this deck.

>Can I get proof for it in 5 game form
>Also 5 games is not enough to be proof

Thanks a bunch. I've played with all of those suggestions before, but haven't been able to put in the hours to really figure it out. Selfless for example has been a complete dead draw in a few matches, but I should probably not have cut it.

>crucible snake
It's had a couple shining moments, but yeah nothing that really made it crazy.
>you might want to look into the GW company decks.
Will do

>mindcensor
Again, I've been lucky so far, but like the snake it's utter ass in multiples. I'll keep it in sideboard I think.

>gavony
I cut it for Ghost Quarters/Snakes, but if I go down on those I'll definitely bring it back in.

>Courser
REALLY annoying if you combo and your opponent wants you to play it out, but yeah I'm always thinking about putting them into the main. Can't argue with the value.

what a garbage graph

You don't need that many Ramunap Excavators, cut to 2 or 3.

You don't really have much to pressure your opponent with. Play something like I dunno Loxodon Smiter or something.

Thread q

>what is your favorite set and why?

Because it's kind of a different deck?

Those creatures might as well have no text box at all in the deck. This isn't some Gilt-Leaf beats deck.

>Because it's kind of a different deck?
>Those creatures might as well have no text box at all in the deck. This isn't some Gilt-Leaf beats deck.

You've quoted two different posts that are mine so i'll just say it here combined.

You're arguably running a half and half worse mix version of existing decks. Are you trying to win by GQ'ing their shit to death or trying to win through KoTL? If you're trying to do the first then why are you not playing a Leonin Arbiter? If you're trying to do the second then why not play the Retreat?

What's your backup plan outside these things? You have zero pressure as of this list right now. I mean you could put in a Tireless Tracker or a Kitchen Finks as well in here in lieu of 2 slots for your Ramunap Excavators. Thalia? Qasali Pridemage for Ensnaring Bridge?

Also you could cut a few Birds of Paradise down, you're not ramping into much and your deck's curve is very low. I'd play 3 BoP or less in this list. It would allow you to play more value dudes or Chords.

I haven't gotten to play any modern events in about a month but I finally got Friday night off to attend modern at a store in my town. I currently have Bant Eldrazi & G/B Tron built, which is better to bring into an unknown meta?

Go ahead show me a better graph on the CoCo math. I'll wait.

While we're talking about Knightfall, how do you all play the combo when you play physically? Do you lay out all the lands you're grabbing, reveal Kessig from the library, or do you go through all the motions? I feel like it takes forever to play it out following rules-as-written.

>favorite set and why
Alara. Probably nostalgia, since it was the set to hook me, and I picked up my hierarchs on the cheap when they had just come out.

Tron, from what i hear its good in general

It's not bad if you just don't shuffle in between searches

Go through the motions. Have to be careful about emergency Surgical Extractions. You can speed it up be announcing what oyu need to do and don't shuffle in between searching.

Just play Bant Eldrazi if unknown. It's pretty much the new Jund anyway.

Depends on if my opponent is tapped out or has mana up. Tapped out I and assuming no memey free spell or anything like that I shortcut but with mana open I go through the motions and make sure to stack my triggers correctly and always play with a fetch or quarter up so I can keep going to dodge damage based removal or get steppe.

Tron has extremely lopsided matchups and could get the shit kicked out of it in an unkown meta, especially GB Tron. The dude's better off playing Bant Drazi in an unknown meta.

Bant and if the meta is accommodating for tron obviously switch.

Zendikar. I loved the sense of adventure and exploration. I also really liked that there was no great conflict. Then the eldrazi happened.

The graph is stupid because the ratios are all dependent on what you have left in your deck

its not even clear what assumptions this graph makes

Thanks for the input mates, I feel you're probably right, Bant Eldrazi seems like the right call. I'm running a pretty stock mainboard, but is there anything I outta take out and/or add to my sideboard?
Grafdigger's Cage x 3
Rest in Peace x 1
Stony Silence x 2
Worship x 1
Thragtusk x 1
Natural State x 1
Stubborn Denial x 3
Blessed Alliance x 1
Failure // Comply x 2

Add Engineered Explosives if you have it.

channelfireball.com/articles/magic-math-orator-of-ojutai-collected-company-and-dragons-of-tarkir/
channelfireball.com/articles/magic-math-how-consistent-are-spoils-of-the-vault-collected-company-and-griselbrand-in-modern/

Does this explain it better for you? The graph is comparitively the same in the URL as to the one in this thread.

Lorwyn/Shadowmoor because no humans and interesting take on different societies and how they change with the cycle

2 in the mainboard already. Here's my full list.

That actually looks fine. Maybe -1 Grafdigger's and +1 Rest in Peace?

I already know how to calculate the percent

Im just saying the graph is misleading

Yeah, I'll probably see about picking up an extra RiP before the event starts, I don't think I own a second one.

Whoops, meant to reply to this.

but I do, I just have to sideboard against real decks too

I just came here to remind that until this very day, MaRo still has never once in his life played a single game of Magic.

How is UR storm currently?

Modern is gay as fuck and there is no room for brewing.

>Nobody sideboards against me

Go away Des, you're drunk.

Commander sets aren't modern legal

>The histories speak of two feuding rulers whose deaths were celebrated and whose monuments symbolized the end of their wars. In truth, they were gay as fuck.

It's the most open format

Try being better at brewing

I've been itching to try a white green desk for the past couple weeks because of some pulls from Hour of Devastation, care to r8 my first attempt?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/poison-sun/

ooga booga wer da wite bois at

Take this down before someone steals it. This is the deck that's going to break the format. It's literally perfect.

>all those 1 ofs

Don't do that

Figure out your strongest cards and what your strategy is and run 4's and 3's of the best cards then go from there

Primarily running a blue deck the one thing I fear when I'm not running blue is a blue/black/artifact deck that will fuck me over when I finally get my highdrops down, so I try to balance it and have some low drops. I wanted to get a full set of Life Goes On because that atleast feeds me life in response to blue/black/artifact bullshit but I haven't gotten anymore yet.

It has a bad Ink treader matchup so I don't think it'll be doing anything crazy user.

Is this FNM playable or am I trolling myself?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-07-17-aFc-abzan-midrange/

But have you considered the fact that it can go toe-to-toe with Kithkin?

Depends on how competitive your FMN is, but I mean, it looks more or less like a bunch of abzan goodstuff so you'll probably be fine.

I'd drop Experiment one and play some more removal/disruption but other than that it looks ok. You might want to look into little kid junk since your almost playing it.

Eh, probably won't be terrible. I wouldn't expect to win a lot, but yea, 6/10

Don't mind me, just posting the best creature in the format.

legacy is more open that modern rofl

My blue deck use to be a clusterfuck of cards that only fit into the Legacy ruleset, so I show that shit to this kid at my college telling him it's legacy and the kid flips shit and yells "THIS IS NOT FUCKING LEGACY!" And I had to grab it back while he pulled on his hair and his friends tried to calm his wide open ass eyes down, shit was rad

Modern is a format, user. You want the standard thread. As for deck building tips is correct, decide a gameplan and put 4 or 3 of every card you need to run that gameplan. Consistency is literally the most important part of the game, if you can do what your deck want to do every game then you're in a good place. Of course the deck may just be shit and even when it goes off it loses, but that's something you'll learn very early into playing against real decks. Also, don't include creatures that cost 6 or more mana if you aren't running a dedicated ramp or control deck. Adding a 7 mana beater "just because" is a recipe to end up with it dead in your hand for 11 turns while you try to get the 7th land to cast it.

Well the idea with those is I have a few cards that make some shit unblockable or make all your creatures 1/1s, I want to be able to take you out in a few hits and make it so you can't block any of it, if you pull a counter I will just gain 4-8 life with one of my instants. There's a few cards here making it not standard legal that I wanted so modern is what I'm running.

Brewing this at the moment because jank is fun. Opinions?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hard-lock-jeskai-iso/

If you are committed to that gameplan look into the deck named "infect" for card ideas.

You should probably look at real decks and strategies before building your own to get an idea of what power level you need in modern.

Just because a card isn't legal in standard does not mean it has a place in modern, remember that.

Wrong

A lot of popular modern decks are very different from each other, running entirely different sets of cards

At least in competitive legacy you are either running the blue fair suite of brainstorm, force, deathrite shaman, etc or you are playing unfair jank that still probably at least runs force.

You know jack shit about legacy.

I always start off building it myself and seeing how it plays, then I adjust the hell out of it and compare it to other decks to see why things work in them compared to mine, my blue deck was a pile of enchantments and high cost creatures in the beginning, now it's a great balance of counters and artifacts

Well most of this stuff is from sets dating the past two years, most being from Eldrich moon and Hour of Deviation, it sounded pretty modern to me.

mill is hte most counterable deck ever, you just need any effect like emrakul and you literally can't lose. All other sideboard cards need at least to be drawn, you have absolutely no chance against emrakul in the sideboard.

>modern
>most popular cards hover around 25% of the meta
>legacy
>most popular cards hover around 60%

AKA

Less

Diversity

>exile graveyard effects don't exist

>surgical extraction Emrakul

That was hard

Mill still sucks though

>it sounded pretty modern to me
Modern is the exact opposite of the newer stuff, I can see how the name would confuse a new player though.
The only card that really sees play from a recent set is Fatal Push.

>implying that stops a LoS
Don't delude yourself into thinking Mill isn't one of the most fragile archetypes.

they still get to put the rest of their gy into their lib

What do people think about a 1-of dangerous wager in burn?

Doesn't seem worth it in the slightest.

Maybe in Mono Red

LoS is just as strong against burn as it is against mill

>Eldrazi Tron gets a 3 mana, one sided, better wrath
When will this shit stop?

But the difference is that burn is inherently better than mill anyways.

But mill beats burn.

Actually Leyline turns off every single card in a mill deck since all of them target. Burn can still overrun a Leyline with creatures, Eidolon triggers and Boros Charm giving Double Strike, not to mention Destructive Revelry post board

When shitters wake up and realize that DS isn't the problem with modern. Shame that the shitters just parrot LSV.

And Soul Sisters beats Burn too, but its still unplayable.

>muh single matchups
Go on, tell me how well Mill works against GDS, eTron, and Affinity. Those are the top three most popular decks, and Burn doesn't get stomped by any of them.

Decks don't exist in a vacuum, buddy