Why does your character do it, Veeky Forums? There are so many options available to all facets of life in every world...

Why does your character do it, Veeky Forums? There are so many options available to all facets of life in every world, but your character took the quest. Went on an adventure.

Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Id73x5_4c4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Familial debt. Comes from a noble house of occult tradition that serves as knights of the realm against the supernatural in exchange for their favored status.
As the secons born son it is his duty to serve the crown.
He's a bit of a lazy spoiled noble lad though and doesn't care much about duty and will go out of his way to avoid it. But once he gets an official petition he will begrudgingly try to complete the investigation as quickly as possible.

Basically an impatient caster who likes easy solutions, but has to deal with other magical ne'er-do-wells. A reluctant Abhorsen of sorts.

He grew up hearing about his father's expoits in the war. If he'd stayed home, whatever else he chose to do, he'd always be "Angus' son", never escaping his father's shadow.

Ma's sick because of a bitch witch. Gotta get a cure.

So he didn't have to get a job and be a wagie

Left home after failing out of wizard college, found that he loves the constant change of scenery, the sense of adventure, and not being to tightly tied to anyone or anything.

Chaotic Neutral Sorcerer

>Spend five or so years in your 20s adventuring with 2-6 normies
>Spend the rest of your life mooching off your reward, living the cozy NEET lyfe
Is this why so many adventures end with the party becoming nobles?

Because he can't let the con be found out. He's just some common dirt farmer with a militia-issue spear and some leather armor he traded a cow for, who joined up with the real adventurers on a drunken dare and now everyone thinks he's some great warrior because he got the last hit on an Ogre that was terrorizing his home village.

Sure the Paladin would understand and praise him for his bravery, while simultaneously scolding him for lying to her to get into the group, and the Bard would just love to have an excuse to try to push for a "from zero to hero story" that he can tell the next time we're at a tavern, but the quiet wizard girl has taken to him quite a bit and he is terrified of crushing her trust and belief in him and his abilities if it were to come out that he's a lying fraud.

So, in short, he's doing it to protect his waifu's smile?

>become a noble
>not the God of NEETS

>become God of NEETS.
>Never have any followers.
>Doesn't matter since it's not like you do anything anyways and are surrounded by a couple of qt3.14 traps that you have despite not doing anything to create them in the first place.

Because he wants to help people.

Because it needed doing and he was there to do it.

Fuck off, frogposter.

Midlife crisis.

It's called a wage cuck/wage cucking, 'wagie" sounds gay as hell.

At first it was a desire to save people, but after learning that the people don't deserved to be saved it's a death wish.

She wants to aggressively pursue the joys of life. Also her hometown was too chummy with the elves.

Mage the Awakening

Because he was up shit creek without a paddle. Joining the group was the one way he could maybe claw his way back into something approaching respectability. And maybe get back at his dick ass mentor.

He met his ex again, though, another Awakened from his old Cabal. Things are hella awkward.

D&D 5E

Because his talent with a flail, moving silently in the woods, and tanking hits, are his most marketable skills. And he likes his party.

He's somewhat good with maps too. Heck, he even found religion, a pretty face to come back to, and most importantly, a purpose because of adventuring.

Ordered to by the elven council. Would later betray them, then it was "ordered to by Arachne," which is just a corrupt cult of Lolth

He never wanted to. He just wanted to pick pockets and get drunk all his life. But some great cosmic ass hat plucked him and four other nobodies out of their realities in order to save the multiverse.

Now he's watched the people he grew to trust die in horrible and bizarre ways. (High turnover rate because adulthood and responsibilities) Pillar of salt. Sudden puddle of goo. Outright rapture scenario. It's only a matter of time before what is clearly a mad God tying up loose ends manages to find him. All he can do is keep to the shadows, get stronger, and try his damnedest to achieve godhood, because there's no other way he'll ever be safe.

Ma IS the bitch witch, and she's decided it's time for my character grow up.

Born soldier with no war to fight, goes around looking for trouble that can be solved with violence.

Because he's essentially a Victorian era big game hunter off to slay monsters in darkest Africa. He was raised on stories of chivalry and noble military commanders, but there are no major wars, the Empire stands as the single most powerful nation on the planet, so he has to do something to prove that he is the equal to his ancestors. So he's an adventurer and an explorer, because if he wasn't, he'd be a fat noble with a small plot of land a decent fortune and nothing to make him feel alive.

Because being an armed hobo in a group of other armed hobos sure beats being an unarmed hobo alone, and the first expedition she was on yielded more gold than she's ever seen in her life.

She got a prophecy that she was going to die before she turned 25. She determined there was no way to stop this inevitable fate, so she decided to start gathering resources for becoming a lich (if she died by suicide into undeath, that fulfills the prophecy). The process costs 120,000g, requires CL 11th, and a DC 35 Knowledge (Arcana) or Knowledge (Religion) check. That kind of money and power doesn't simply come from inheriting, so she is going to live the dangerous life for the rest of her life, then enjoy a peaceful undeath afterwards as a librarian. Still one level to go.

Vampire: the Dark Ages

Because he was chosen to do it and because God Wills It.

Just looking to fully ressurect his wife, maybe help some people along the way if they don't mind the smell.

Because he wants gold, booze and women and splitting skulls is his greatest talent.

Pathfinder High Elf Wizard
Because the whole party was abducted by pirates and they are forced to go on adventure. To be honest, he would go on adventures with them regardless mostly because it is known that adventuring wizards discover spells and arcane knowledge way faster than when they are locked in a library their whole life.

5e Halfling Cleric
He goes on adventures because that is proving to make a ton of money. Besides, going on adventures is making his power grow as fast as his treasurechest, which will in turn permit him to kill the fuckwads that killed his family.

He can't go home again. Not after that little misunderstanding with the squad captain.

And nobody else likes his people enough to let him stay for long. "The gods love you," they insist, despite the fact that everything is trying to kill him. "Their temples bring good to the world," say the slaves in an empire ruled by devils. "You need a girlfriend," the bard tells him, not knowing that a stupid teenage crush is exactly how he got into this mess.

Right now, his only friend is a camel.

Actually, my character was the first quest (he was kidnapped and had to be rescued). And the second quest (he was mind controlled and forced to let his house be used for a trap). And provoked the third quest (be turning the character who had fucked him over in the first and second quest into the cops). And then I hung around a mutants laboratory (invisibly), but ended up getting caught and my companions had to come and rescue me from getting tossed into another dimension. So, mostly its because I didn't have a lot of choice.

>Abhorsen
Good taste, user.

Because 'applied necromancy' is not as lucrative or legal a pursuit as he was led to believe by his tutors, and making a living as another two-bit enchanter or mundane doctor is beneath his station as drilled into him by his exiled parents. Also it's easier to find sacrifices out in the lawless frontier.

What do you call a babarian on a payroll?
A ragie wagie.

D&D 3.5
Because we need somebody to help peasants without going full robin hood retard.
And I have close friends in that party.

Got forced into army young so not sure what else to do aside from this. And it's not like he is bad at this.

And the pay is ten times better then the army. That helps a lot.

Is his salary a rage wage?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Id73x5_4c4

Congratulations, you've become a hero.

Money and opportunity for political gain

Deus Vult!

Tribe was going to be wiped out by the Athenian legion. Rather than be slaughtered and have our women and children sold into slavery we surrendered and got to stay on our ancestral lands. Now me and my people serve as scouts and diplomats to the other wild folk for the legion.

But hey, in 10 more years I'll be a citizen and get my own land and get to vote!

>Chaotic Evil Wizard
He grew up as a messed up person with equally messed up parents. He wants to use his powers to wreak havoc and kill stuff just for the sake of it: The smell of burnt flesh, and the devastation of once-magnificent stuff gives him a strong sense of purpose and accomplishment.

However, he isn't completely stupid: he knows that committing arson and murder would do more worse for him than good: he can't solo the authorities yet. He became a mercenary/adventurer to improve his skills to the point he doesn't need to care about law enforcement, and to legally kill and destroy things in the name of his employers.

So far it's working out for him

I love my country...my shitty, shitty, werewolf and vampire filled country that just needs a helpful and benevolent robot army to help it pull itself up by it's bootstraps and stand proudly in the sun... well I say sun there are constant spooky atmospheric thunderstorms but you know what I'm saying.

Yeah the party are like 80% sure I'm going to be the new bbeg after the campaign wraps up.

I really like this idea.

Mountain troll fighter (my DM is very loose with PCs)

Because growing up on a mountain with your adoptive mother is boring and all those tales of knights going on adventures sounds so fun, and if mommy says it's alright then why shouldn't I?

He didn't really choose to go adventuring. He was a mentally unstable man who got caught up in a prison escape.

The rest of the party keeps him around only because of his magical talents. That, and he's rather manipulatable being the disorganized schizophrebic he is.

DEUS VULT

Too dumb to stop.

Last PC I played was a Lord-Scrutator joining the Protectorate of Menoth's northern crusade solely for personal profit. He ended up dying in a rack at some point for treason, so it didn't end well.

Deus Vult

Because he doesn't really have a choice. He was a dumb kid who wanted adventure, who didn't understand how good his life was on his father's idyllic farm and thought it was an absolute bore. Now, he's unable to go back to that peaceful little life because of a horrible curse or so he tells himself. In reality he's just addicted to the thrill of being so close to death's grasp and seeing new things.

>Because his talent with a flail, moving silently in the woods, and tanking hits, are his most marketable skills
Pretty sure his actual reason should be related to how this situation came to pass.

Ordered to scout out the surface after dropping out of school. Now goes for money to pay for food and other luxuries.

DEUS VULT!

My dad's got the black lung and working for 15 copper a day isn't going to be enough to keep him going

>Le what if a salaryman became a Nazi Loli magic girl XD

Jesus fucking Christ I hate Isekai

Because Exalting in Lookshy made it too hot to stay and it's better than contracting a case of falling on dozens of jade spears. Gotta get rich or break Creation trying.

That's a lot of implication you implied there my friend.

he likes to go on fun adventures and help people

Literally the plot of the series. I agree with that guy, fuck that show.

Every time you see that little girl, remember that it's secretly a 30 year old man who got into a pissing contest with god and wears a fedora so hard it's merged with his skull and is currently being forced out his asshole.

>greater being literally asks you straight-out why you don't believe, so get pissy
>later, when greater being gives you magical powers and asks you to preach his word, insist that there's no such thing as god and continue being an asshole

Aristocratic background plus boredom mostly.

Tanya is not a nazi, nor is she a magical girl. Nothing fedora about him, he was a an extremely practical and logical person. When presented with a higher power he assumed it was a hallucination and humored it (since he believed he was either dead or suffering extreme brain damage). He gave the common answer as to why (admittedly silly) people don't believe in god, that being that the world wouldn't suck so much if there was a god.

And he's definitely not insisting there is no god, just that the fucker that pushed him into his current situation is not god. And being an asshole is just part of his personality. Which is more of a work-ethic than a personality, I guess. Said fucker is also pretty evil, literally stripping Tanya's will away when she uses that relic.

The show does suck though, the char designs a shit.

Not bad

its all he knows

Someone had to cook, and by god he will be the greatest chef in all Middle Earth!

Basically he's finding ingredients/ getting famous so he can sell cook books.

>Tanya is not a nazi, nor is she a magical girl.
But it's so much better to describe the show as the Adventures of Magic Loli Hitler.

There's certain personal urges driving them. Giving into the in the face of adversity earns decent coin and promotions. Giving into them pretty much anywhere else earns gallows.

BECAUSE THOSE FILTHY BARBARIANS TO THE NORTH DON'T FUCK WITH MY MAMA'S LANDS AND GET AWAY WITH IT.

Also mix in "Dad told me too" and "Deus Vult"

Technically, all he "chose" was to go find his momma after he got word of her death. Six jumps later and more time in a cargo hold than he'd rather admit he was inheriting a small tradeship and a slightly smaller fortune in cargo. Selling it off was easy enough, but he found a secret compartment after referencing some things in her ship's log and a weight discrepancy in the ship's cargo manifest. Inside he found a shit ton of drugs, guns and precious metals, and after that everything kind of just caught up with him and he panicked.

Eight years later he's got people calling him Laughing Jack (he's got a nervous tic) and there's a 300kCR bounty on him, a couple other people have been taken on as part of his crew and he's still trying to figure out just how the hell things got like this.

The show is ass, tanya nor visha are that ugly. And it's disingenuous to describe it that way, tanya has no real ill toward anything except god and incompetence.

Power and glory.

No place else left to go. She was conscripted out of the noose by the very same noble she's been raiding and stealing horses from.

After the wars and leading a rebellion against said Noble and his house after he launched a coup, she's at ends. He family among the nameless dead, farm left corrupted and fallow, and bearing the reputation of a traitor.

So she left the continent for distant lands unknown and sells her sword as an adventurer/mercenary.

Evil ain't gonna smite itself.

Except for that time in the Direwood. But only that one time.

Power and money, although being hailed as a hero is a nice side benefit.

>Werewolf: The Apocalypse
Because my character is literally retarded. He's a Metis Bone Gnawer, the lowest of the low. But none of that matters to him because it all goes over his head. He does it because his pack mates watch out for him and are nice to him. It doesn't hurt that he's a physical powerhouse who will do insane things that a mentally normal person wouldn't even consider doing simply because "I wanted them to stop hurting my friends." In combat, they strap a manhole cover to his arm and give him an enchanted sword made from a lawnmower blade with duct tape for a handle.

tl;dr I made werewolf Forrest Gump who will do insane shit to help you because that's just how he gets down.

Hit by a taxi, is now a ghost trying to come back to life in a setting where that is not thought to be possible by magic or technology.

Also neither are ghosts, but here we are.

She has a love of travel, and turned out to be the sort of person who just can't stand by and watch while people suffer. It was all bravado at first, her mouth writing checks she wasn't sure her skill could cash, but it turns out that having people think you're a hero feels even better when you actually are.

He has sworn an oath to eliminate all threats to his master; he chases after one of them now, while seeking to unroot the conspiracy that saw him driven out of his post. He shall repay all his debts, good or ill.

She dearly loved her sister, and like all siblings who love one another dearly, they squabbled endlessly. But love gave way to anxiety; when one badly-timed tease meant in jest proved to be too much, she murdered her beloved sister in a fit of rage. She was given a choice between honorable suicide or being stripped of her title and exiled; she chose the latter.

It's funny, because in the series OP posted, "Deus vult" means !FUN! is going to happen.

Because he was built to navigate ships for a war over 300 years ago, and staying with the people he's with is better than sitting in some forgotten port wishing he could drink his life away. At least with them he can navigate again.

Also he gets the closest an incredibly pleasant feeling from killing people, but there's no way to explain that without sounding either crazy or edgy.

He just...he just hates wizards, like so much you guys. Like so much.

At first it was mainly to do with the wizard mafia oppressing his home town and killing his brother but after getting thrown into the middle of limbo it's turned into a more generalised smouldering hatred.

After a lot of time in a wobbly space/time monastery training with a load of monks who hate wizards as much as him, and winning the tournament to give him the right to wield the ancient magical (slightly cursed) artefact, that also hates wizards he has returned to the grand materiel plane to dick kick some wizards.

As luck and the plot would have it the githyanki litch queen and her army of stab wizards happen to be trying to invade around now which basically means that wizard punching is a growth industry right now, but in all honesty he's not really invested in saving the plane nearly as much as he's doing it cause he just really hates wizards.

So much.

Druids are ok though, they can stay.

As a young man, barely out of what little education his fallen to ranks of small shopkeeps family could afford, he wasn't very smart at all.
He knew he couldn't create pieces of art, craft swords and armour, couldn't learn magic well enough from scratch. Only option available, and viable, was to follow in his parents' footsteps and keep the family shop going...
Yet, he didn't.
Instead of that he recklessly rushed to where he knew a mercenary company was hiring young idiots and joined them.
After that, many years passed. He's matured, survived somehow. And yet, he's still on foot, serving among his comrades, earning money by the life of a sellsword.
He's, honestly, too afraid to return home, simply sending most of the money he earns there to make sure his parents and siblings can survive and thrive.
And when he is given a chance to actually do something useful with his life, rise above ranks of but an expendable mercenary, all that offered by what he thought is a mere legend, a myth, all after saving his life, he couldn't say no.
In short, a foolish decision made by a young and far too reckless at the time idiot. Then yet another same foolish decision to stop with a relatively stable income and move on to full-on adventuring all for a grand goal which might be impossible to accomplish for a mere mortal man.

His dad hired an assassin when the dad was younger. The assassin didn't say the payment, only that it would be something equal in payment to services rendered. When my character was born ten years down the line, the assassin came back and took him as his own. He raised my character and passed on his techniques, and was a genuinely loving father the whole time. My character received his first mission at the age of 17 as his birthday present, and he botched it. The target wasn't killed, and he got caught. His father had to pull many strings and call in many favors to get him out of prison. He vowed that he would never botch a job again, and so he left to go adventure and practice his talents. He picked up a job at the Purple Rain Company, a group dedicated to protecting and helping the people. He figured if any place would give him jobs about taking down targets, it'd be there. Now he's caught up trying to stop a cult from bringing the evil gods into the world.

Bitch witch who knows her marriage prospects are slim in her swamp and now seeks that charming wizard she's scry buddies with. Beats dying alone like her mother.

She liked working as a guard at the docks, but she wanted to make her mother proud. Mom's the best hostess and so refined and graceful while her daughter is a dumb tomboy whose only good for being muscle. But her dragon blood is a sign that she'll become a great and powerful person, she's sure of it! Plus she can pay back the local mafia for taking care of her family so well. She'll become the most feared and powerful dragon ever!

he wanted to fight strong dudes

His commission with his old group ran out doubled with 'not being the right' sort. Luckily, said old group gave him the right training he needed to get along in life.

His original goal had been to learn how to repair his acid-deformed face through Creation magic. Now he wants nothing more than to acquire as much knowledge as he can, attain some semblance of immortality, and act as a historian or chronicler of the world's events. And maybe to occasionally provide info or support to those who want to make Gaia a better place.

He's more-or-less got the immortality taken care of, courtesy of his Dragon Pact with Manah Razz.
But he also just found and deciphered one of the thirty pieces of black metal, and has come to a realization that there's some sort of organization making humanity dance like marionettes for its own purposes,

Poor decisions beget poor decisions. You are able to roll the dice and win as often as you like, but you can loose only once. Faced with a choice between loosing a finger he chose to fun- then to fight and ended up slated to loose a hand. From there desperation is only a stone's throw from the gallows, before you know it you're an outlaw- all for a single finger.

Now banditry is a fine enough life if you're clever and ruthless. But barring blind luck, a vision or simple misfortune the life of a criminal is not dissimilar to that of a farmer. One bad season can tank you and a couple spread out over 4 or 5 years?

He's been gone for a while, he had a collection of pilfered knifes a mace and and old re-painted shield. A pouch of other men's gold and nobody would recognise the brazen young man as anything more then another rootless freebooter looking for a ride outta town. Mercenary work and adventuring is strange after a stint as a highwayman, but the latter's not all that different.

You're just less likely to get stabbed in your sleep for the last bit of meat

Because he actually gets to go out of the house (read: the kingdom) for once and there's some SICK SHIT up on dry land.

He was awakened to the truth.
Elven worshipers of Tiamat were just using his tribe as fodder for one of their 5 dragons to make an avatar of Tiamat.
Upon finding the truth out. He did what came naturally to a hunter. He murdered the dragon that his tribe worshiped and vowed vengence against Tiamat.
He'll hunt down the elven bastards one by one to prevent a calamity from happening, locating hidden shrines to Tiamat on the way and burning them down.

what is that pic from?

His Dad is a huge fuckoff Dragon who knocked up his mom in between bouts of pillaging the countryside and burning down villages. So now he's trying to become a big enough badass to come back and finally kill the deadbeat.

Looks like Youjo Senki, not sure if the manga is also called that or not.

For my bard in our 4e campaign, experience.
Not experience points (we use a milestone method anyway), but a desire to learn first-hand what the world has to offer. To increase his understanding of the universe and shape him into a knowledgeable, well-rounded person.

He left the church that raised him once he turned 20, and spent 37 years traveling the world of his own volition, seeking knew experiences. He's partied with nobility, as well as suffered with peasants. He's listened to the tales of clergymen, as well as the ravings of heretics. He's consorted with both angels and demons. He's spent time in the world's foremost universities. He's spent time in the world's highest security prisons. He's ran for political office. All for the sake of broadening his breadth of experience and improve himself as a person.

Oh, and also because of his mission of getting laid at least once in every major nation on the planet.

He stared into the abyss and decided that this world sucks, so he wants to make a new one.

And then he'll choose a bunch of people to take into his new universe so that they can populate it.

After loosing her job at the military, a friend offered her a job at a mercenary group he was getting started.
Good pay and lots of travelling. What's not to love?

I did some things i regret and now i want to make for it. I owe it to my mentor and friend, who showed me, that not all people are bunch of bastards who are there only to use you.

He headed off to find a new homeworld for his family, seeing as their current one drives them mad. Literally.
He hasn't found anything suitable yet.