How do you guys like Degenesis?

How do you guys like Degenesis?

They have some pretty cool designs based on the 3 pictures I've seen.

I like the art. The setting doesn't really do much for me though

Art and setting seem cool but its so far out of my comfort zone I wouldn't be able to run it.

S'cool but
>Spitalians
Implying Spain and Italy would ally on anything.

It has good art but a stupid name and a worse setting.

Fantastic settings, great art, and one of the best campaigns I've ever ran. Fuck Helvetics though, really game breaking if you have them in the party, they start the game with the best armour and best gun and our party had 2. They basically stole the show in fights from other combat based characters who don't start with super assault rifles w/ underslung shotguns. Naturally the best way around it is to make them waste ammo, but if they like to power game they can spec their character down the path which gives them access to a shit ton of bullets.

Pretty sure the Spitalians are Germans. They're from a (ho)spital. Sorta like a half AdMech meets the CDC.

There are no more Germans. There are only the cults.

Excellent art and cool world

nice art but i am into kitchen sink settings

Love the artwork, the setting has some potential to be a lot of fun, but I get the impression that it would be more legwork for me as a GM than other systems. Also, trying to get my players to read basic D&D stuff is like pulling teeth. Getting them to actually read what they'd need to play Degenesis is a fucking fantasy.

Couldn't you just have the Hellvetic leadership say "Hey now, you guys are requisitioning way, way too much ammo. We're cutting the frequency and/or amount you can request for trailblazer ammunition." Remember, they are expected to use it judiciously, as it is a precious resource.

Can someone talk about the system and not just the motherfucking art?

Do it then. Most people just like the art and/or setting.

I haven't played the game, why the fuck do you think I'm asking about the system?

Combat is a pain in the ass to try and balance. Enemies don't really scale in terms of HP or defensive options (outside of stuff meant to be obviously dangerous, such as marauders, etc.). So you have your big villain of the current arc, and your 3-4 beginner players can shit all over him because the system is really kill-happy, and they can shit out a ton of damage relative to how much the enemy can.

To counter this, you either have to have the enemy pose a greater threat (better weapons, traps, etc.) or have a bunch of trash enemies to act as damage sponges and obstacles, so to speak. Now with having the enemy deal more damage, you risk killing off characters left and right, because this is - as mentioned - a very lethal combat system. This will probably not be a lot of fun for your players, and it's already a bit of work to rope the initial cult loadout together unless everyone picked a single cult to theme themselves around. Now you need to find a reason to rope in more new characters, again factoring in what cult they choose to the mix. The problem with adding in a bunch of enemies is that you still increase damage output against the players, so they are again at higher risk of death, but combats also run the risk of becoming samey. You take out the minions and then the (not much different, relatively-speaking) big enemy.

You can try to get around this by attempting to give opportunities to avoid combat, use diplomacy or assorted skillsets to come to non-violent outcomes, or by having fights contain more puzzle or strategy elements, as opposed to kick the doors in and hack slash boom bang stab until one side is dead. However, the sad truth is that many players love combat, and many players tend to lean heavily towards combat optimization when making characters. So trying to keep combat as something they want to avoid risks leaving those players feeling removed from the game.

I've been meaning to look into the system
Give me the quick rundown

I really like it almost ran it too but never did would love to play it none the less

My players only dislike it because of how Character creation works. They say its too much of a shoe horn. They're from D&D and Shadowrun backgrounds though.

How does character creation work in it?

I've always preferred that fights have more puzzle like elements. My players know that I usually have a lot of deadly enemies but they're squishy. I always also have lots of environmental hazards lying around. They'll destroy a cliff face and so forth. They always feel like they're gonna be out gunned and out manned, but they never feel like the underdog.

Horrible character balance.
Weird limitations to the setting (these monsters only show up in this country).

You need to pick your culture (where you are from) and what cult you're from. The culture you pick will let you add more to your stats. Culture will also lock you into your cult (makes a lot of ingame sense).

You'll follow up by distributing your skills and attributes, resources and so forth. You know the usual Character creation spiel.

Following this, your rank in your clan is dependant on what your prerequisite is.

An example of this is to be a Spitilan field medic, you need to have a total dice pool of 8. So that would be Int+medicine. Then you need to have put points into resources, renown, and network.

You rank also determines some extra skills and the free kit you get.

How is that weird? Like, would you expect a fish to show up in a desert? A lion to show up in the rainforest? A turkish bear to show up outside of the gay district? Same concept.

Sounds really neat, to be honest

One of our group got the books for her birthday and they're GORGEOUS. Seriously, some of the prettiest gamebooks I've seen.

The problem is that we're completely "meh" about the setting.

And personally - as a Pole - I like how this German game has the centre of my country smashed with a meteor (okay, that happens to most of the world), the populace turned into fur-clad barbarians, and the city of GdaƄsk is now controlled by Teutonic Hospitallers in pickelhaubes..

I really like it. But my problem is that the players are used to open character creations of other systems like Shadowrun and D&D. They feel constricted by traveller and Degensis. Furthermore some of them prioritize min-maxing, so some will always try to get the highest rank possible.