/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm

>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/

>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/the-dog-days-of-august-sorta-monday-meeting-notes/

>5th editons cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

>Question
Which Path would you willingly Awaken to?
Which Path would you most likely Awaken to?

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?783504-A-capability-based-analysis-by-Path-Mage-the-Awakening-2e
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why is the goddamned wizard still using a Commodore 64?

Mages are fags, so Banisher.

i miss the namefags

now this place just shitposts about mage every single fucking thread

at least back then we had variety

go away fag

You seem peeved user, are you alright?

>Which Path would you willingly Awaken to?
Acanthus

>Which Path would you most likely Awaken to?
Acanthus

As you can imagine, this makes me very happy. Would also join the Mysterium without hesitation. Fuck this sleeper bullshit, I'm in this for magic. Fucking magic is real! Why the fuck do we give a single shit about sleepers?! There's fucking MAGIC to be discovered!

Neither.
I'm not the kind of obsessive freak that would Awaken.

Moros.
Mastigos.

You don't necessarily need to have been an obsessive freak pre-awakening, you just need to have had the potential to become one and embrace it.

Well then the point is moot, because it's not me as I am right now who's awakening.
It's someone I might be in the future, if I had a different opinion and motivation on things.

Mastigos
Mastigos or Acanthus

>Would also join the Mysterium without hesitation. Fuck this sleeper bullshit, I'm in this for magic. Fucking magic is real! Why the fuck do we give a single shit about sleepers?! There's fucking MAGIC to be discovered!

You sound more Seer than Mystagogue.

I feel that if you think you would awaken to be a mastigos, you're not really the kind of person to awaken to a mastigos.

Mastigos are the hardcunts of the Mage world afterall.

Not even close man.
His focus is on the Mysteries, the Magic.
Everything else is unimportant.

For Seers, the Magic is a tool, not an ends in and of itself.

To Awaken as I understand it, you typically have to become obsessed with something and pursue it until you reach a critical yes-or-no juncture, where if you choose yes, you Awaken.

Pretty sure this is why the Guardians with their network of made up cults catch the most Awakenings out of any of the Orders.

Thyrsus
Thyrsus

Nobody knows what makes one awaken.

I wouldn't say that. A Mastigos Awakening is a very personal one. Some people do acknowledge their inner demons.

The final tipping point? Unknown, the Watchtowers aren't clear with who they endow Mystic power.

However it is known you have to be the kind of receptive individual who can be obsessive.

Hence why I said 'typically'. The Guardians do appear to be onto something though.

As much as I hate to sound edgy, or be the kind of guy who goes "Man I am totally X kind of person you don't even know", the reason I feel like I would Awaken as Mastigos is because I do believe in individualism and that if you want to better yourself, you'll be fighting a battle against your own demons that will probably never end.

>no obrimos

You all suck

The Guardians aren't on to anything.

Their Labrynth exists to find out who's interested in mystic knowledge, and then trap them in one of many different 'false' mystery cults which direct them away from Supernal truths.

If they see the lies for what they are and Awaken, good for them.
If they don't, they didn't deserve to in the first place.

Sometimes it also just presents itself as a single Eureka! moment brought about by what appears to have been completely mundane musings or observations. It's not that you need to be obsessive to awaken (No one knows what it really takes, no one), you just have to be someone who *would* become obsessive once they become a Mage.

>The Guardians aren't on to anything.

2e p.39
"They plot to maintain the Labyrinth, a
world-spanning society of conspiracy cells and contradictory mystery
cults secretly under Guardian control, designed to weed out the
weak, distract the unworthy, and attract those close to Awakening.
A newly Awakened mage attempting to understand what’s
happening around him will likely stumble across the Labyrinth;
in fact, the system works so well that Guardians actually detect the
majority of Awakenings and pass suitable solitaries to other Orders."

>in fact, the system works so well that Guardians actually detect the majority of Awakenings and pass suitable solitaries to other Orders

Coolest Paths
>1. Mastigos
>2. Acanthus
>3. Moros
>4. Obrimos
>5. Thyrsus
Just try to prove me wrong

>no obrimos
>You all suck

They are not worthy of the enlightenment and power of the Aether.

Define "coolest?"

It sounds like a rating of which Paths are the biggest douches.

Nope

Acanthus
Obrimos
Moros
Thyrsus
Mastigos

If it was then Obrimos would be right under Mastigos, while Moros and Thyrsus would be on the bottom.

>not being a Mastigos Mystagogue using Space magic and Mysterium connections to travel around the world uncovering Mysteries with your Lust as a goetic familiar

The fact you thought you needed to explain yourself to a stranger on the internet is why you wouldn't be a Mastigos.

Mastigos DO they don't TALK.

I didn't think I needed to do anything. I don't need to explain to you why I explained myself to him.

>If it was then Obrimos would be right under Mastigos, while Moros and Thyrsus would be on the bottom.

Meh, everyone knows that Acanthus are the biggest assholes!

>choosing to be a fag in denial

They're just the most insufferable.

Legacy user do the Scions of God pwetty pwease

It's on the list.
Behind those Illuminated Path weirdos.

I remember looking at the Scions of God before though.
And bar their kooky Spirit-self, and the difficulties summoning it in a city, that shouldn't be too difficult to do.

I came across a old tidbit from Dave concerning how actual mage characters are normally not examples of mage supremacy.

Also, archmasters are so awesomely powerful that they can control and alter Pop Tarts.

What's the Mastigos goetic Legacy again?

That is one of the meatiest 'Mage Supremacy' comments coming from Brookshaw.

I was waiting for someone to post it. Fuck. Thanks a lot, jerk.

>That is one of the meatiest 'Mage Supremacy' comments coming from Brookshaw.

There was actually a comment Dave made back on the old forums relevant to the 'Archmage vs Luna' debate.
He mentioned that an Archmage totally could roflstomp her(him/it), but that none have ever done it yet. For obvious reasons.

I'm kind of mad the White Wolf Archives are gone.
So much lost information from both the devs -and- the players.

There's 2 Clavaclarius and Bene Asomodai

The Clavicularius and the Bene Ashmedai.

While I agree that Mages aren't as overpowered as some seem to think they are, he's comparing two extremes. A Gnosis 2 Acanthus with Time 1, Prime 1, and Fate 3 is a character you can have right out of character creation. In fact when it comes to the Arcana it's weaker, because you get six dots to spend on Arcana.

You get to choose what order you join because of what you believe in you dont get chosen to awaken because of what you believe in.

Dave indicates mages have "hefty weaknesses," but it's not clear what they are. Mages aren't ruled by a dangerous supernatural tempers, subject to any particular banes or hounded and hunted by more powerful forces or beings.

At the very worst, they're just human, for both good and ill.

There are trends, and each Path has their own stereotypes and philosophies and themes.

>A Gnosis 2 Acanthus with Time 1, Prime 1, and Fate 3 is a character you can have right out of character creation. In fact when it comes to the Arcana it's weaker, because you get six dots to spend on Arcana.

Bumping the character to Time 2 actually makes him a lot more powerful.

The power and versatility gained by increasing a rating in an Arcanum are not at all subtle.

Wait. Does Dave hate pop tarts? They don't taste like battery acid to me.

More that they're molten hot inside.

Oh goddamnit, Enough with the Dave comments. You're just making Mage Supremacy even worse.

everybody knows dave comments arnt canon so stop getting your panties in a knot

Thyrsus

Obrimos

Deus Vult

>You're just making Mage Supremacy even worse

Did you read the screencap? It argues *against* mage supremacy.

>"an archmage with Gnosis 10 and all Arcana at 9 can do, quite literally, anything"

YEAAAAAAAAH
ARCHMAGE SUPREMACY

He literally just described what Mages can do at their highest and how no one can stop an obsessed autist from getting his way.

I'm more concerned that Dave doesn't like poptarts. Who doesn't like poptarts?

Not everyone is going to play an Archmage

He just said there are fluff Mages of immense power and that a Mage who wanted to figure something out could do so. Either you're baiting or being a little bitch. Or both. But either way it's past time for you to grow up.

I like to think those trends, preconceptions and stereotypes are mostly defined by the abilities newly awakened mages now have at their beck and call, freely and at all times.

>forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?783504-A-capability-based-analysis-by-Path-Mage-the-Awakening-2e
This is an interesting look into what it would mean to be a mage. Yes, yes, I know where it leads to, but it's honestly an interesting and enlightening read.

>Either you're baiting or being a little bitch

How dare you. I am truthfully a total bitch but I'm most certainly *not* a baiter.

Sometimes I feel like magefags are rednecks

>I'm more concerned that Dave doesn't like poptarts. Who doesn't like poptarts?

I believe you misunderstand.

Dave likes Pop-Tarts, but he hates that the insides get so hot that they burn his mouth.

>Burning Pop-Tarts are obviously the oppressive work of the Exarchs

>not playing an archmage
what are you a fag?

Even the great Komodo is susceptible to hubris

>Mages aren't ruled by a dangerous supernatural tempers
Nope, they just have a supernatural awareness so potent they literally can't ignore supernatural phenomena, creating itches that they HAVE to scratch, even if it's dangerous or unwise. And in the pursuit of these Obsessions, they get stronger, and as they get stronger they have more opportunities to lose Wisdom, which means they lose control of their magic and can eventually wind up as Mad, meaning he has no control of his magic at all and has to be put down.

>subject to any particular banes
Paradox. People say it's been declawed, but it can still mess a Mage up, with one of the worst case scenarios being an Abyssal entity being summoned because of your dumb ass. In fact that might not even be the worst case, because your ST can impose whatever Paradox Conditions he can think of on you, if you give him the means. And if you're stupid, he'll get them. People underestimate Paradox as it is now, because you can get off light if you're lucky or careful. But if you aren't, it can snowball, fast.

>hounded and hunted by more powerful forces or beings.
You serious? Abyssals actively want to ruin your day. As a member of the Pentacle, you're up against Mages who are not only entrenched in the power system of the Fallen World, but have the backing of the tyrannical god kings of reality who want to keep you down, and they hand out power and Supernal artifacts to their loyal followers like candy.

And this doesn't touch on things like the mechanics of spell casting, where you have to spend Reach to move casting time from Ritual casting time to Instant, and if you use bonuses like tools or High Speech so that you aren't working with just the bare minimum it ups the casting time by potentially turns, with the chances for your chant to be interrupted or your tool to be taken away very real.

Obrimos

Obrimos

When you autistically overanalyze things in real life, you just know that you would be increasing your Gnosis the same way.

What did he do?

Fuckin' developed Awakening, that's what

That's worth a 5 dot Omen right there

So what disciplines allow for Vampires to eat things other than blood?

Essentiaphagia lets them chew on Ghosts, breathdrinking lets them eat breath (or livers), Blood Tenebrous lets them gnaw at spirits. What else have I missed?

Developed awakening to remove the sleeping curse. Or reinforced it, by forcing us to shitpost about it.

Niktuku and Macellerous get to eat flesh.

Is it weird that I enjoy playing both the underdog changelings in Lost and the priviliged mages in Awakening?

That's not how this works. You must choose a side, user.

Is it weird for one to like both cold, creamy ice cream and crunchy, spicy chicken sandwiches?

I shouldn't make metaphors when I'm hungry.

Not at all.
It's fun to play the Underdog, but also to just drive people's faces into the dirt.

I never understood what was up with that profile picture?

I believe it's one of the Gentlemen from the Buffy The Vampire Slayer episode "Hush".

Mage illiterate here
What can you actually do with Prime ? The only thing I've seen linked with it here is counterspells
Is it viable to "main" Prime ? What would the result be ?

He still acknowledged that you can't tell when a Demon is lying

What's the minimum number of peeps you can have in a Cabal?

Prime is powerful but kind of specialized. It deals mainly with magic itself, and isn't as versatile as the other Arcana because of it. If you mained Prime you would be a nightmare for other Mages to deal with. You could tear apart any spell they cast. You could hide yourself from them, making your soul read as a Sleeper. You could shield yourself from any directly hostile spells, blocking thunderbolts and windstrikes. You could destroy or invigorate Hallows, precious sources of Mana. You could simply siphon Mana from a Hallow with a spell, as proposed to performing an oblation, a kind of ritual. You could attack your enemies with Supernal wind and fire summoned from the Aether. You could create Eidolons, idealized supernal forms who can act as a retainer for you. There are other things, like imbuing items. In short, you would be very useful and dangerous in situations involving Supernal magic, but not especially great in other areas.

Also, a fun little tidbit some of you might be interested in, on page 194, under the Mage Armor section:
"Prime Armor does not protect the mage from mundane
attacks. Instead, it protects the mage from incoming magical
attacks, including the damaging spells of other Awakened, but
also any supernatural effect that deals direct damage.
Prime Armor reduces the damage of all wholly supernatural
attacks by the character’s Prime dots. For example, it will defend
against an Aimed damaging spell or a bolt of energy shot at the
character, but not a werewolf’s claws."

>does not protect from mundane attacks
>wouldn't defend from a werewolf's claws
Sorry, woofs. Your claws are mundane after all.

Create objects made of mana, hide from supernatural things, you won't g set to do th more cooler things like teleport or shit but you'll make sure others can't either

Wholly supernatural. A werewolf using a damaging gift that isn't couched in the physical would work, not so much one wrapped in their claws.
Plus at 5 prime you can just go fuck up the city by creating lasting hallows everywhere. Hooray!

First, thanks
Second, a few other questions
What are Hallows ?
Would Prime and Entropy work well together ?
I love the idea of manipulating probability and that seemed to fall under Entropy's purview

>What are Hallows ?
Places where mana (supernal energy) gathers in Awakening. Like a fountain in a rooftop garden, or a pool with a plant growing out it, the leaves tass (mana in physical form).

Fun fact, more potent hallows tend to form at higher elevations, so that's where the wizard's tower stereotype came from.

And to clarify, the Prime I outlined for you is from Awakening. Fate would be the probability Arcanum of Awakening.

>Wholly supernatural.
Yeah, but the argument was that claw slashes would be considered supernatural attacks in and of themselves, enough to trigger a Clash. No evidence was presented for it, and
now there's something going against it.

Of course an attack with a gift would trigger a Clash or be weakened by Prime Mage Armor.

Well, their teeth count as 'mystic' damage according to their corebook for anything that needs it. Plus they've got their thing with Twilight Spirits.

That bit was really unnecessarily vague. I would have it count as a supernatural attack anyway, but I would like to know why its mystic nature is dependent on who is being bitten, and why it gives lethal damage to vampires. What's the deal with Father Wolf's resonance?

What does it all mean? What are they talking about? 'Mystic teeth'. I don't even get it.

Werewolf's are half spirit and channel their spiritual reiastu through their teeth.

>Werewolf's are half spirit and channel their spiritual reiastu through their teeth.

While that may be relevant when fighting spirits, it means absolutely nothing when combating humans such as mages.

This is clearly one of those areas that's begging for some clarification by Dave.

>come into thread because it's been a bit since I've had a fun talk about Darkness
>maybe there will be some things about Hunter here, had a fun session in Aokigahara that would be great to talk about with fellow Hunterbros
>it's still a fucking mage circlejerk general

Is the LIE getting You DOWN?
HI Bill Mage Here to talk to You about an exciting new product
Did you think I was dead? Ha another Lie of the fallen World
Is dissidence getting you down? Does paradox cling to your staff?
Hi Billy Mage here to bring you the newest in paradox prevention
Tools ... And Rotes! Colorful Favorable and Reliable! (audience AH)

Hi Billy Mage here to take care of all your Fallen Problems
Are wolfs beating down at your door? Are fae buzzing around your head?
Well we have news for you today! Spirit Shaminism and Fate Fuckery.
(audience OH AH)
Take out your Lunar Lander and lasso that bull and take it for all its worth
Oaths and Contracts making Your life complicated? Tear up those obligations
with a flick of the wand your meta narrative bills are tossed aside

HI Billy Mage here to talk to you about Wards!
Do you need to hide your sanctum from prying eyes?
How about just a little extra storage? Space, It's not just Planets Anymore

Hi Billy Mage here Thanks to our very own Moros Death Mages
Love these guys Lots of tech support and they can be there for You.
Estate disputes? No last will and testament?
DO you have a murder mystery? Call these guys up.
And They Will help you call up your love ones and find piece of mind

HI Billy mage here. Do you find yourself just needing a little extra help?
DO you need a straight forward versatile reliable solution?
Have you tried Forces? You got your fire, you got your electricity,
You got your weather You got your Gravity You got your light and sound
You are your own Hollywood special effects department

HI Billy mage here. Are you a Moros but you don't want to the necromancer?
Well I have Good News for you today! Why because it Matters
Turn Lead into Gold. Fix your car without a mechanic.
All those do it yourself home improvement projects are now a thing of the past

HI Billy Mage here. DO you find there are just not enough hours in the day?
Have you tried Time yet?

Let's be real, if Dave clarified it, it would hardly settle things. Werefags would decry him, as they and other splatfags always do when his posts back up Mage. "It's not in the book, so it's meaningless!", etc. I would go with what he says because I just respect his status as a writer and a developer, but Magefags who quote him solely because he inadvertently backs up Mage Supremacy would change their tune pretty fast if he said yes, werewolf claws are supernatural enough to evoke a Clash, or they would try to be clever and turn the "it's not in the book so it isn't canon" stance back on the werefags, saying they would be hypocrites to take his word when it backs them up.

He also evidently does not know everything enough to pass judgements, as he couldn't or wouldn't say anything conclusive on the Demon v Prime argument, saying that he didn't write either of the relevant sections. Somebody else did.

But it would be nice if he did clarify it, if only for fluff reasons.

Tell me about your session, user. I know next to nothing about Hunter but I would be interested in hearing how a game goes.

>He also evidently does not know everything enough to pass judgements, as he couldn't or wouldn't say anything conclusive on the Demon v Prime argument, saying that he didn't write either of the relevant sections. Somebody else did.

It's proof that Dave only provides definitive answers concerning questions entirely within his remit as developer of Mage. He often yields to the developer of other lines or refuses to comment because any ruling would impact areas he doesn't develop.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he (and/or Stew) ruled that werewolf bites (not claws according to the section in Forsaken 2e) count as supernatural for purposes of spells like Kinetic Shield. All that would mean is that the shield cancelled damages for only [Potency] number of attacks as per the general creative thaumaturgy Shielding rules. Such a spell still wouldn't be too shabby (although gravity shenanigans would still be more effective).