/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Modal edition! Bonus points for Charms and Commands.

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/feats/monster-feats/awesome-blow/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Needs a better name.

Edited Remembrance based on opinions from Veeky Forums, power levels are probably still very off because balancing casting cost, two effects and he body it comes in on is hard. They're all still prototypes so pls no bully

Still not my keyword though

Janglebones the Spookmaster

Remind me, if a creature gains Defender in the Declare Attackers step, is it still attacking?

I'm not sure actually, my understanding of the stack isn't as good as I'd like it to be but other people in these threads know their stuff.

>Declare attackers
>In response to the tapped and attacking creature I make it a defender
>Creature isn't able to attack, but that restriction doesn't apply in this instance because the creature is already attacking

I think that's how it works but I don't know. Maybe make it something like "Untap target attacking creature and remove it from combat" if defender can't get the effect through?

Vichehold channeler goes infinite way to easily, especially with remembrance

This should work.

You are precisely right. An attacking creature that gains "this creature can't attack" is still attacking. Just as a blocked creature that gains "this creature can't be blocked" is still blocked.

Why bother with this? With the former version, you just have to use it before attackers are declared. Is that really so bad?

A combat trick you have to use before combat is just a shitty sorcery.

>Ferocious Martyr
>When ~ dies, put a +1/+1 counter on each of up to two target creatures.
You can choose not to put them on creatures you don't control.

>Vichehold Channeler
Yeah, I agree with the other guy, way too many infinite combos.

>Backalley Insuramancer
I think you can reduce this guy's cost to 1BB. And I think the Remembrance ability you can take down to 2BB too.

>Tidepool Rippleseer
Same as the G one.

>Vichehold Grovekeeper
Uh... Why is that Remembrance cost so high? I mean, you know you still have to pay for the ability, right?
>3GGWW, T: Tutor a basic land
Doesn't seem that great honestly. Honestly the whole card seems overcosted.

>Savage Broodwarden
It's not "play" it's "the battlefield". And for this, the syntax is "dies".
>Whenever a creature dealt damage by ~ this turn dies, create a [...]

>Markov Gravecaller
3WB and sac a creature to recur a creature? Also seems overcosted. I think part of the problem with this and the GW one is that you throw other abilities on top, like Lifelink and Vigilance. I think it would be better if you split up these Remembrance cards into two categories, one that focuses on keywords, another that focuses on another ability. If the keyword creates synergy with the other ability, as with Savage Broodwarden, keep it. Otherwise, pick one and remove the other.

Stick with the Defender keyword and treat it as an instant spell that says
>Tap target creature.

>Overcosted

They're not supposed to be instants with flashback stapled to a creature, just late game value for when they're in the yard not doing anything. And the channeler and Rippleseer used to be tap for the effect but that meant they were much less likely to hit the graveyard and get used. I just need to find a common ground on those two.

>3GGWW, T: Tutor a basic land AFTER your creature swings for damage

Not good by any means as a card, but what about later in the game when you have seven mana and nothing to spend it on? Hopefully Remembrance creatures have already done something useful with their abilities, now you remember them by paying homage to their skills. Value but not to much value is the hard part about Remembrance.

I do appreciate all the opinions though I didn't TL;DR, splitting them up between good keywords and abilities is a good idea, instead of just trying to stuff everything together onto one card and not have it be OP or undercosted.

>Not good by any means as a card, but what about later in the game when you have seven mana and nothing to spend it on?
You're right, it'll be a great way to get even more mana you can't spend on anything!

Joking aside, if you want it to tutor after combat... maybe just have it tutor on combat damage? There's a common 2/2 creature for 3G that does just that.

Anyway, as for value, I think you should also do more P/T boosts with these cards. Extra damage is always good, right? Maybe something like
>Whenever ~ attacks, it gets +3/+0 until end of turn.
Actually, just had an idea, pic related.

>Viche
I've seen this a few times, and I wish I could give you feedback on it, but I find it really hard to judge at such a high cost, especially being tricolor. Sorry.

Oh yeah, I just realized that the you don't have to say "pay" in Remembrance's reminder text, and "exile" should be capitalized.

That Remembrance should probably cost more. I'd price it at 2BBRR

I actually think I might take Flying off. maybe 1BR, and Remembrance BBRR?

Sounds fair. You'd only run this in a BR aggro, so at absolute most it gives about four +1/+1s to a creature.

The ult here feels tacked on in a "I couldn't think of a third ability so here's an ult that's never going to be relevant" kind of way. It sort of works flavour-wise, but in gameplay I just don't see the point. I would suggest getting rid of it and giving her a static ability that either reduces cost of creatures by [1] or [2] or a "you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast creature spells" to synergise with the +2.
If you disagree, ult wording should be "Creature spells you CAST cost..."

Her ult used to be gain control of every creature spell your opponents played but it felt pretty oppressive so I want with reduced cost equal to her own. The spending mana as though it was any color is a good idea though since she's Naya, I don't get to many posts on this card so I appreciate it

>Ult never relevant

It's free creatures? Totally free little guys and greatly reduced fatties as long as they're in your hand I mean, which goes well with her +2 I thought.

Fixed this with something hopefully more fitting.

>It's free creatures?
3 turns after you reached 6 mana? You can probably hardcast everything except Emrakul at that point. And you'll likely be mostly out of cards in hand too, so mana efficiency doesn't do anything for you that late in the game.
Any-color static also lets you play some fun-ofs that are hard to cast (3+ mana of a single color), which is my favourite kind of card. Admittedly I'm a little biased here.
In the end the third ability isn't going to matter in 99% of games, and in my opinion playing Silumgar off Naya manabase to steal the opp's fatty and hasting them up for the win is sweeter that a 4 mana Eldrazi turn 12.

It may as well be 1G instead of (W/B)(W/B). What're you trying to do here?

It's part of a larger cycle, and W/B is hard to find a good repeatable effect for.

Does it have to be repeatable? Lifelink is the obvious answer.

Ideally, yes. When I first posted the cycle (pic related), I got a lot of comments that it was odd that U and B could benefit from their effects multiple times, possibly even in the same turn, while the others were either one and done or only useful once in a turn like Red.

So I'm reworking the WRG ones.

How about a life drain? "Target player loses 1 life and you gain 1 life." Repeatable, very WB.

Of course, +1/+1 is more synergistic with a green creature, so maybe you're already on the right track. It just looks a bit weird.

Yeah. I was considering going for a sort of 'pseudo lifelink'. Make it gain X life where X is the combat damage dealt by ~ that turn, in order to make it tie in with the more green aspects.

Hmm, how about something like this? Have the pump effect, but lifelink tied to it so the first activation does something more W/B.

Technically the ability would have to be both WW, WB, and BB, and that ability only fits B. I guess if it were changed to WB or something it would be a lot easier to do. Actually, Alara did a cycle like that.

...Huh, thought I'd have the cycle on my drive. Oh well, here's the description from the MTG wiki.
>Creatures with shard-colored activated abilities: Each of these uncommon creatures has an activated ability which costs both allied-colored mana — Aerie Mystics, Scornful Æther-Lich, Dreadwing, Viashino Slaughtermaster, and Sacellum Archers.

Bleh, wrong image.

And here we have a bad planeswalker flip card based on the big bad from the old Arena novel.

In hindsight, I should have omitted the first "you" in the flavor text somehow to make it more laconic

Still a pretty flavorful and fun card.

The art is ugly though.

I wouldn't quite call it ugly, but amateurish compared to 'professional' artists. Probably hard to find ogre monk art though.

Indeed. It was kinda hard to find art featuring ogre monks/martial artists (or paladins/knights, which was another option). I like the goofy Tibet monk look but the mediocre quality combined with the lack of background is a bit underwhelming.

Does it have to be an ogre monk?

I got the basic idea from this:

d20pfsrd.com/feats/monster-feats/awesome-blow/

To make things clear, I wanted to simulate the knockback with temporary exile, which is a white trait in my book. Spinning from this, I wanted a good-ish ogre for added flavor, since they're a pretty intuitive user of the Awesome Blow feat and they're not typically good-flavored.
(As implied in it could have been a valiant-looking ogre in armor and a club instead, in which case the flavor would have probably been "Gnog hits demonspawn. Demonspawn ascends.")

The spirit of the concept can be conserved with any large monstrous/ugly humanoid which has an appearance of nobility.

Feels like a kind of meaningless downside, since it would still have to wait a turn to sac itself anyway.

Wow I can't believe I didn't realize that. Would it be fine without the first effect then?

How about:

At the beginning of your upkeep, tap ~ if you control no other creatures.

I actually like this. Dash is one of the keywords I've been considering for this set anyway and there is some (anti)synergy there. Makes the drawback more relevant.

Dash feels pretty weird in Green, though I suppose it's a bit like having Unearth in Blue.

Something really basic.

Don't force them to be 1 cmc and you'd be surprised at how easier they are to develop.

That's probably what's tripping me up. I made the Scorpion at 1 cmc and I just stuck with it for the rest out of habit.

That should give me more room to work with though.

Art in use: Niv-Mizzet, Firemind (Duel Decks: Izzet vs. Golgari).

For the card itself, Storm is cute, but it would probably make the card easier to judge if it were replaced with something else. The rest seem fine to me, but I wonder if this could be made to 1UR. If not, maybe change the third mode to either straight draw, or draw two and discard one. Maybe. Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Agree with this for the most part. Storm MAY be fine, but storm is a keyword that is very hard to balance. Imagining it on a modal spell, I'm tempted to say it would be OP.

Magus of the Bazaar at common? Are you sure about that?

Jesus, more Storm? Guys are killing me here. Honestly, I think this is actually okay. It's pretty expensive, and neither of the modes are particularly amazing since Storming the counter can bite you in the ass hard, I think.

Hm. Probably fine due to sorcery speed and the fact that it's -1/-1 not -2/-2.

I agree that Dash seems odd in green at first, but it at least makes more sense than Unearth in blue. At least, to me. Green gets Flash, so this is a pretty reasonable extension of that, I think. This card is pretty strong but I'm leery about the tribal limitations. We seem to have several people bent on making tribal work in their sets now. More power to you anons I guess.

This seems like way too much ramp for G, since it also can net you ETB triggers and death triggers. Remember, creatures that sac for rituals are WAY stronger than instant or sorcery rituals because they fuel many more strategies.

Shame that cardsmith won't let you do hybrid frames. Anyway, this seems fine to me; white flickers, and red exiles on combat damage. You could argue that this is a potentially okay bend of the pie, but it may be better as a gold card to be safe.

I feel like this card is perhaps too good, but the only creature that has the same effect at common is a 3/2 flier for 2UU which is already basically cost-efficient, so maybe this is fine.

At least make a 2/1 for 1B. No one wants a Muck Rat.

re I had no idea that was a card. I guess I'm way undervaluing card draw.
Nice cleric. Feels just right as a common.

Reworked a lot of the commons for white. Some of them are just small tweaks for simplification, others are more full overhauls.

Fixed the type line.

WOW the first half of this card is amazing! I could see a version of this being printed. The second half feels a bit off to me. Is countering the spell supposed to represent one of the members of the horde being taken out but not the whole thing? Either way, I like it.

Dare I defy trips? I think not.

Yeah it's always a good idea to type your cards into Gatherer or something to check and see what else is out there that is similar so that doesn't happen. Even if you're pitching more cards than you're drawing, there's ways to use that fact and build around it, and it's still a ton of repeatable, free filter.
>Tide
So a Blanket of Night and permanent High Tide stapled together? I'm not sure about this. Since those lands retain their previous types, that means your opponents aren't getting mana screwed and this card is no net gain for you. In fact, it's a net loss because you've spent 5 mana to cast it and your opponent gets full use of it on his or her upcoming turn. I'm not sure I'd actually even use this. What's the draw?

Thanks again. I'm starting to reconsider making a whole set as I seem to be bad at it. Fixed but now I have no idea how it should be costed.

Uh, one other thing I forgot to point out is that blue doesn't get ramp like this anymore, and hasn't in a long, long time. Blue really only gets to make mana to fuel artifacts these days.

He said it's a deliberate throwback to High Tide. Which is something I've said he should probably make clear whenever he posts it *cough cough*.

Second ability isn't blue. It can show up in any color but blue or white

Squirrel tribal

Had an idea last night. Is the self-synergy too much? Design here is way more bottom-up than top-down, so I'm honestly not going to be talking about the character much. Crazy berserker is more or less the gist.

Self synergy is fine, the activate ability just needs to cost a lot more.

Discard?

That would do it.

Cool, thanks.

I know what it is; I pointed it out in my first post about it. I just neglected to mention that he probably shouldn't do it unless his set's going to feature a lot of throwback stuff since that's not a blue ability anymore. I suffered from a case of
>see card
>fix card
and didn't think to actually, you know, check to make sure it's something that should or could be done.

OP; causes an ETB trigger and a death trigger without needing a sac outlet in addition to the Snappy ability. Goddamn Squirrel tribal.

Yeah I agree the activated ability needs to cost way more. 2BR maybe?

I made three versions of this card because I had three ideas for what it could do using that art and name, and figured I'd toss them all out into the wild and see what people like the best. I am most partial to the second one, but it may need to cost a bit more. 3U possibly.

Das a WU card mane.

I kind of like the second the most as well. It feels the most straightforward. Costing wise I think it could get away with being at 3 cmc, though you may want to dial back the number of cards slightly.

The first is interesting, though I could also see it get frustrating if you're just constantly shuffling cards and you don't have draw available.

>01
First ability is poor, and the second is feel-bad.

>02
Taigam's Scheming on legs.

>03
The second ability is again, feel bad, but less so than 01 since you're not giving up a card.

I feel like it could be mono-white if it had players play with it revealed rather than just opponents, to push it as a sort of 'equal rule' that White likes.

From there, the protection is pretty White.

This card felt neat to make, but its worthless against creatureless control and hyper aggro. Its only got uses against midranges, so its a terrible card that can make it into the sideboard of a very specific deck that can make use of it.

So, in true Wizards style, I made it Mythic.

Woops didn't mean to post the first version with the dumb pay 2 life thing.

I'll look at shifting around the numbers maybe but the effect on 02 is verbatim off a card (that I found out after the fact when I decided to amp up Index). 01 might need a beefier scry to compensate for trading a card; I dunno.

What's so poor about the first one? More scry necessary as the tradeoff? I mean it's a may so you don't have to do it. I agree that 03 is probably better though.

It could be white if the reveal were even across all players, but the card as-is is WU, as I said.

A card like this really needs to avoid three lines of flavor text. It's crowded as hell. That said, what's the point of it? I guess paying 1 life to prevent all combat damage to creatures you control is pretty good, but the fact that it then costs 2WW to take advantage of that is pretty meh to me. The prevention of lifegain is also very strange since both W and B have Lifelink and love gaining life, with black then using it as a resource.

Middle seems best. Others seem just overly complicated. And kinda bad that you not only skip a draw but possibly skip a good card to get a measly +1/+1 counter.

Don't have anything to contribute to the design, it seems fine to me but I really love self synergy cards, but I will say this woman is one of my favorite jerk offs.

Kinda interesting. But I think the ability would be easier if it were
>~ gains all loyalty abilities of target planeswalker until end of turn.

I agree with here; nothing says creatures can't have loyalty abilities and in fact MSE has ways to do so. It's a very cool card though.

The abilities are anti-synergistic, and the black lets you repeatedly dump all your mana into burning out players.

I was considering trying to limit the black effect to being once per turn, but I was worried it'd get too wordy. And giving it two tap effects seemed rather off, though it might work out.

As for synergy, my thought with it was that you could tap a creature, gain life for the counters on it, and then use the effect to take a counter off afterwards. While you do get less life after using the black effect, I feel like it has done its 'job' at that point.

Would changing its subtype to just "Army" ruin interactions with other cards? Still, as menioned that first rule is neat.

That's a pretty neat take on a clone card user, I like it, Wizards is quickly running out of ways to make slightly different clone cards and will probably use this exact effect sooner or later.

Rate and hate my mechanic. I can still think of a couple ways to work with this, but the design space doesn't seem all that great.

Eh, it feels like it has a similar amount of space to Landfall, Morbid, Raid, etc. The biggest flaw i see with it is that compared to Morbid it's harder to get people to discard rather than something dying.

While the cards look fine, the mechanic is not a very nice one to play with since it relies on /the opponent/ playing a certain kind of deck.
The two skeleton cards work better since the player with them in their deck could be the one discarding cards for value, but for the other two, your enemy must be the one A) playing lots of creatures, and B) sitting around with them in hand or discarding them.

If a game goes long and you've been hit with a few discard effects, you wouldn't be sitting around with creatures in hand, making the Abandoned mechanic just disappear.

Other similar triggers like landfall, morbid, and so on rely on you building a synergistic deck, not on your opponent playing a deck that is synergistic with yours.

So from what I'm hearing, I need to make less cards with "if an opponent discarded a creature card", and make more "if a player discarded a creature card".

I'll start by making creatures with Madness.

Yeah, if it's going to be something narrow like discarding creatures, it should at least check both players.

Does this go against the color wheel? (Compare to Chaplain's Blessing.)

I'm probably not the first person to think of this, am I?

That's just a very roundabout way of gaining 5 life, except it can't be used while you're under 10.

I'd say it would be more fitting for black if you had to sacrifice a creature or discard a card instead. Paying life to gain life seems really degenerate.

What rarity should this be and should it be a sorcery/instant?

XGG or X1G
Put X +1/+1 counters on target creature or land you control. If counters are placed on a land this way, it becomes a 0/0 colorless elemental with haste.

Rare, Sorcery XGG

I think you could make it an uncommon instant. Mainly depends on if you want the combat trick/flash potential.

Lifecraft awakening is the card I would point to. You might need to make it rare simply because it can target any creature.

Deathtouch feels a bit odd on it, but it seems fine. It also feels like you could use its own ability to bounce itself and generate as many thopters as you wanted.