EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Can't let you do that" Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Namefag bitchfest, but People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
Counterspells: What is their place in EDH?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/UE9Vqzu
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/baral-weewoo-control/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Counterspells should be used to stop game-ending plays, or to protect your own. Most decks probably only want a small handful to stop "Genesis Wave for X= Fuck You", or to stop the Doom Blade that would break their combo.

I'm fine with counters, but Baral Counterspell.dec is overboard.

Second for WotC makes custom unofficial black bordered cards.

I only come here to steal secret tech.

If I'm playing blue, I'll include a handful of counterspells to stop combos, but otherwise it's not the best plan to counter everything in a multiplayer game.

>Counterspells: What is their place in EDH?
They're alright. 1-for-1 in a multiplayer is kinda tough, but if you're judicious you can make allies by saving the board from some fuckoff huge threat

>Thread Question:
Threat assessment, just like other removal.

A card is not "custom" or "unofficial" just because you don't like it.

I agree with this. Counterspells should prevent alpha strikes, not be your main gameplan.

>Is Eminence stupid? Yes. Is it boring design? Yes. Would it be stupid on a custom card? Yes.

Well thanks for agreeing with what I've been arguing the whole thread, that stapling new mechanics that change the game onto a Commander to sell the newest product is stupid. I compared it to a custom card because it's bad design, breaks the rules and shouldn't be in the game, I never argued cards put out by Wizards aren't official MtG products.

I mean, mainly they shouldn't be a primary plan because it's not reliable, AND it just frustrates people.

Even in 1v1, you're unlikely to stop every single thing with 1-for-1 counterspells, and it's an utterly lost cause in multiplayer. But you'll be able to throw ENOUGH of them that it's just gonna piss everyone off.

>Breaks the rules
There is literally a rule in the CR that says "if a card's text trumps this document, the card wins".

the best place for counterspells objectively is monored-everything.
i play 3 counterspells in heartless hidetsugu and they are always useful.

Relentless Rats is bad design, breaks the rules, and shouldn't be in the game!
Additionally, I will start screeching and bitching at anyone who dares play with this "custom card" in person.

>breaks the rules
Where were you when they printed Relentless Rats?

>His waifu isn't indestructible.

The only counterspells worth playing are swan song, force of will and pact of negation to protect your combo and counterflux and mindbreak trap to prevent the storm player from going off. Counterspell, forbid, and arcane denial can also be pretty good.

>Mana Drain

>implying

>Dies to shock
???

>Serum Powder
It's fine. Fringe cards like that are not really a problem, because they are fringe. The pre-con commanders are the most popular by the nature of being in a pre con and a large portion of them are also the more powerful.

It's not like the existance of those cards really triggers me, just the fact that they are more or less the face of the format now.

cards i can't afford don't count

>try to fug indestructible waifu
>can't get past her hymen.

Desertion is also good for the art and occasionally hijacking someone's wincon.

That doesn't mean the card isn't a badly designed piece of trash only allowed to exist because it sells. Look, I can't make you have a problem with a company exploiting the fact you don't give a shit about quality to reap monetary gains, so I'll stop trying. No it's not technically against the rules when you make the rules yourself and can change them how you see fit, but it's unprofessional and greedy and not creative at all.

Relentless Rats doesn't sell for $80 and doesn't provide immediate value over other players even when they're not in play?

You can if you're willing to pass her STDs.

>try to fug indestructible waifu
>die because she's the size of a mountain

For the fifth

Fucking

Time

You dense goddamned mongoloid

Nobody is saying that this is not bad design. Nobody is defending Eminence or Oloro as excellent design.

We're saying that just because you dislike a card does not mean you can pretend it isn't real.

>sell for $80
Last I saw Derevi was still $1.

40 Relentless Rats is $80 :^)

Kek.

>Relentless Rats doesn't sell for $80 and doesn't provide immediate value over other players even when they're not in play?

What does?

Devastate that pussy, bro.

>We're saying that just because you dislike a card does not mean you can pretend it isn't real.

Are you having a stroke? You agree with everything I say and then just add "YOU'VE SAID FIVE TIMES THOSE CARDS AREN'T REAL" even though I haven't said that once?

All Commander sets that feature Eminence

this
Really? Check the other thread.

timetwister is broken, often provides value as soon as turn 1, and is far outside many players' budgets. should people pretend this card doesn't exist? what about imperial seal?
are you seriously aguing that gaining 2 life or casting giant growth on a CAT every turn is immediate value? having your dragons cost 1 will rarely ever matter before turn 5 and never be good enough to make a splash in cedh. c'mon now.

Most punny card names?

You're saying that the badly designed cards break the rules. Think about that.

Took me a week to connect the fact that Manalith was a Mana Monolith.

>are you seriously aguing that gaining 2 life or casting giant growth on a CAT every turn is immediate value? having your dragons cost 1 will rarely ever matter before turn 5 and never be good enough to make a splash in cedh. c'mon now.

Its still better than having your commander do nothing while in your command zone. Jesus, Its like players get a free emblem just for buying the precons. Its crap. Would you accept that in any other format?

Like what if there was a card that 'As long as this card is in your library cast giant growth for free every single fucking turn'.

Shut up with your "this card doesn't exist" autism. Noone is saying that, noone is arguing that, you moron.

Ahem
>breaks the rules and shouldn't be in the game

>should people pretend this card doesn't exist?

Why do people keep coming back to this when they have no argument?

Are you actually saing gaining two life at the begenning of your upkeep isn't free value?

Two free life, for FREE, E V E R Y T U R N

Isn't value?

Shouldn't be in the game and don't exist are two very different sets of words user but your effort is admirable.

Yeah, but it exists. It shouldn't, it makes the format worse, it's badly designed and lazy.

We are angry that those cards exists, not arguing that they do not. What the fuck.

this is the first post I've made this thread. should i say "shouldn't exist" instead? it's really the same sentiment.
but here's the thing: the decks eminence cards support are shitty so it doesn't matter. selesnya cats will never be broken. esper lifegain will never be broken. if there's something that makes five-color dragons broken it's not going to be the ur-dragon that does it (ravos might though).

>breaks the rules
>an official product
>breaks the rules

Great start to the thread, everyone

>he still thinks lifegain is good

Yep. Two threads in the sack for the sake of pure unadultered autism.

As I said, Wizards could even retcon the singleton rule on a commander, or the 100 card rule. It would be official, it would also undermine most of the point of playing EDH.

>Can't quote people correctly even a little bit
>Still trying

Why don't you make like an Oloro and don't exist?

What is this from?

What kind of wizards are going to be reprinted for the tribal precon? Somehow I doubt we're going to see Azami again, but you never know.
Pic related is a given for me, also it would be funny to see Tim.

Guys who created the format don't like that Wizards is messing with the rules so much. They said it multiple times.

Ok, user. You won the discussion. I can't compete with you. It's exhausting really. I guess I'm just dumb them.
Also, I'll make like Oloro and keep existing.

Or Wizards could just not change anything and instead design within the rules they themselves set instead of being uncreative and drawing outside the lines then saying drawing outside the lines is allowed.

Look at the previous pre cons/duel decks. The ones from there + maybe 2 more + new ones. Wizards loves reprinting the same stuff all over again.

I really like Oloro.
Comfiest lifegain deck in the game.

i bet we'll see the other niv-mizzet, dimir taigam, blood cultist, and either marchesa or nekusar as the reprint commander.

read my post again, I'm at your side.

I'm hoping for Glen Elendra, but I don't think they will do it.

you mean like the place?

That was more a mad at Wizards than mad at you , I agree with what you said, it just came off snarky. Instead of just having cards change the rules themselves, let Wizards do away with all the things that make EDH EDH, no singleton rule, up to five commanders, three upkeeps too because why not,

>"Rules are made to be broken." -Mark "Mad Dog" Rosewater

I think he means the Archmage.

>All Commander sets that feature Eminence
>Commander sets sell for $80
What kind of idiot are you? Is it genetic or were you dropped on your head?

>three upkeeps too
You can do that already

Yeah, what an idiot. Atraxa and Breya probably sell for more.

cards made for commander are cancer and stagnate the format

Alright this thread is shit, it's in need of some quality posting.

I swing for 596.392,105,496,495,104 trampling damage.

Response?

:^)

Cyclonic Rift, overload. Checkmate

Cyclonic Rift. The players response:

>lol, blue should be banned. Let me swing with my Craw Wurms. REEEEEEEEEE

A friend painted it for me.

Sacrifice Kami of False Hope

Mirror Strike. I'm taking you with me.

Selfless Squire

Slow down now, you never gave me a chance to respond to Craterhoof.

I cast Stifle in response to the ETB trigger.

WOW GUYS SOME PEOPLE PLAY MAGIC TO ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME NOT JUST WAIT AROUND WITH COUNTERS TO SCREW OVER THE STRONGEST PLAYER ON THE FIELD FUCKING CUTTHROAT EDH PLAYERS

Actually, they both go for $50.

Not even close.

Haha, OP, you seemed to have forgotten the Discord info. Here it is:

Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

Don't beat yourself up about it though. Just try to be less forgetful next time.

Comeuppance.

Response?

you forgot your REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

BAN BLUE

Actually got bitched at for doing this. I even warned the guy multiple times that I have 7 mana up.

Block each of your two attackers with a token, take 0

When I hear about things like that from you guys, I'm kinda glad that my playgroup is spiky. I'd put up with it if that means noone will REEEEEEE at me for countering his spell that wins him the game.

I run a Baral counterspells deck.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/baral-weewoo-control/

Counterspells in a multiplayer game are a delicate thing to work with. You simply cannot counter every card your opponents drop like you can in 1v1. if you try, you'll look like a huge ass and get hated out. So, the way you can do a counterspells deck is use counters, as well as the thre𝘢t of counters, to influence the political state of the board in your favor. Counter a hoser or bounce an alpha strike, suddenly that guy who almost got fucked is your new best friend. Allow people to resolve big, scary things; just ask that they play nice, and remember that you could have stopped it, but you didn't. Meanwhile, you''re setting yourself up for a gradual win, via tokens, utility creatures. and mass bounce.

The list should be pretty easy to figure out but here's what I know I need to do:

Replace Mnemonic Wall and Archeomancer with Relearn and Pull from the Deep. Having a chump, I've found, isn't nearly as important as getting Baral's cost reduction, getting Talrand/Docent triggers, and building up Runechanter's Pike.

I need more artifact tutors. I know I have a Fabricate somewhere, I just haven't found it yet. An Isochron Scepter would be awesome in this deck.

I need to aquire/make cuts for a Crawlspace and a Propoganda, to help throw off aggro. It isn't actually huge problem, though, since nobody really wants to focus the guy who can make them never resolve anything relevant for the rest of the game.

Maybe put in 1-2 more beefy creatures, perhaps Frost Titan, Breaching Leviathan, or Torrential Gearhulk.

Aquire/replace Anticipate with Impulse, or cut something else for Impulse. Aquire a Dig Through Time

Replace Illusionist's Gambit with an Aetherspouts. Gambit is a nice meme, but it doesn't actually do anything but stall getting hit in the face.

I run Dralnu and this seems like good advice, I'ma check some of this out

>just ask that they play nice, and remember that you could have stopped it, but you didn't.
What better way to get hated out of the game than being a condescending jack ass?

Such is the nature of playing blue

why are blue and anti-blue players so annoying?
>hhhhuuuu buyuuuhhh why is blue allowed to do everything why can't green get a card as strong as time spiral
>huuurrrr duhhhuuuyy i play bluu because it challenged my unfathomable intaleckt *tips*

>I need more artifact tutors
Tezzy the Looker.

He's almost a must have for mono-blue. He ramps by untapping your rocks and searches up combo pieces.

>Allow people to resolve big, scary things; just ask that they play nice, and remember that you could have stopped it, but you didn't.
What are they supposed to do, owe you a fucking favor and not win afterward if they have the chance? "Oh, you're right, you didn't do a bad thing earlier, I'll let you live for a turn."
If your playgroup actually does this they are so casual it hurts.

I run him in Brago :^) and he's disgusting. Tutor out a Basalt Monolith, cast your shit, flicker him, he comes back in with 4 counters to tutor out something else or untap whatever you want.

A counterspell or two is fine in a blue-based deck without many removal options but when a deck has a ton of them it's just annoying

Reminder to get your check lands before Ixalan drops and they spike up.