Kickstarters

Kickstarter Thread, featuring Reaper Bones 4! Gorillas next!

kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-4-mr-bones-epic-adventure

Also, Raging Heroes Cathedral!
kickstarter.com/projects/loudnraging/warstages-the-gothic-cathedral

X-Wing Trench!
kickstarter.com/projects/1144673983/entrenched-trench-run-terrain-for-x-wing-miniature

Fog Terrain!
kickstarter.com/projects/realgamefx/fog-monster-mini-fog-machine-for-tabletop-games-an

-and many more!

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/776147335/the-yepas-goblins-warband
kickstarter.com/projects/1103158358/warbands-of-the-cold-north-v-28-mm-dwarf-miniature
kickstarter.com/projects/hiddendreams/hidden-dreams-miniatures
kickstarter.com/projects/2087444096/stonehaven-adventurers-2017
youtube.com/watch?v=URn9vujwksw
kickstarter.com/projects/1621774283/battle-systemstm-sci-fi-modular-terrain).
youtube.com/watch?v=jhInWBtVXxM
kickstarter.com/projects/984996675/basius-4-community
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First For Old Thread

>a fucking tiny fog machine
Has science gone too far?

>Molotov Wizard
>Pig with Pumpkin Cart
>Angry Gorillas

This is whacky as fuck and I love it.

I would go for that fog machine if I had the extra 90 bucks. Such a decadent piece of machinery.

Can't wait to see what comes up next on those stretch rewards. Happy with what I'm seeing so far.

What exactly is the sexual dimorphism between male and female gorillas?

Males are bigger and that's about it.

Here's some more.

Goblin army.
kickstarter.com/projects/776147335/the-yepas-goblins-warband

Dwarf army.
kickstarter.com/projects/1103158358/warbands-of-the-cold-north-v-28-mm-dwarf-miniature

Random fantasy shit.
kickstarter.com/projects/hiddendreams/hidden-dreams-miniatures

More random fantasy shit.
kickstarter.com/projects/2087444096/stonehaven-adventurers-2017

The Raging Heros Cathedral looks great, but I'm getting out of gothic science-fantasy and it's almost 800$ for the deluxe set....

Yeah that was pretty nice my thinking too. If I thought I'd use it in another game is probably be down.

Yeah, but even the medium set is fucking HUGE. Pic related.

I was one of the first backers, but I dropped it when I saw they mostly intend it as scifi. I need Vampire Counts and Altdorf, not Sisters of Battle and Terra.

It's the 'only running for 7 days and only 1 run ever' that kills me. I'd love to get it, but I can't drop the funds on a gamble right now.

Seems like a good place to ask:

As someone who just got into tabletop miniatures, is there a big difference between plastic and metal? Because I notice Reaper has many miniatures come in both plastic and metal.

If the paintjob is good, does it really matter what theyre made of? Or will one material look much better than the other even with paint?

Yes, there can be a difference. At least with Reaper's stuff, the detail with the metal miniatures is much more crisp, while their Bones plastic equivalents have very soft detail. When you are saving a ton of money it may not matter to you of course.

On one hand they explain in the Kickstarter they're only producing a small number at a higher markup because they don't want to partner with the company beyond that, so its limited run and this is cheaper.

On the other, it looks like they're actively mining for what people want and even advertising people who drop their pledge with how much of a discount it is. So maybe they're creating an artificial market with that.

The fog box is pretty interesting, but a) I've never played a game that got that immersive. b) pretty sure that repeated exposure would ruin my terrain pieces.

Are any of you so autistic in your needing immersion that you would need one of those?

Yes, there is a difference.
Resin holds the best detail, but is the most brittle.
Plastic holds the least detail, but is more durable than resin.
Metal holds more detail than plastic, but less than resin. Metal is more prone to chipping paint, even sealed paint, than resin or plastic.

But with all things miniature gaming, a good painter can make any piece from any material look great.

I'd absolutely love to have it, but that's WAY too expensive for my blood. If it was like $30 I'd consider it.
I'd rather try and create my own dry ice fog in high density polystyrene mausoleum or something though.

Don't forget that metal is the most expensive by a fair amount, then resin, then plastic. Bones is the cheapest shit you can get on the market.

A metal dragon Reaper made cost $70, their Bones version was only $20.

Would you guys recommend the plastic/Bone series? Theres a lot of stuff here I like visually that I would love to use for TTGs and give to friends since some even are very close to player characters.

Right now the only metal ones Im making a point to buy is anything that simply does not have a plastic equivalent

If you aren't a stickler for detail then go ahead. If there is a figure that you really like and want to get in its best form possible, then get the metal version.

Reminder

Most importantly, read the Bones Primer! If you buy any Bones direct from Reaper they send you the pamphlet for free. It's made from a type of PVC that has unusual reaction to most primers. Bones are some of, if not the, best price point on the market. Some of the details are a bit soft, especially on the smaller miniatures. But for large creatures (bigger than human) it's excellent.
And even if it turns out not to be what you like or enjoy, they are so cheap it won't impact your wallet too much.
Also, they have a new kickstarter out, check if the metal models you are buying aren't in there, unless you want copies before spring of 2019.

Alright thanks! I know sometimes its possible to find metal miniatures for very good prices at LGSs, but thats both matter of luck and how many you have nearby

Earlier you said you're new to painting minis so I would recommend starting with plastic. It's easier to paint than metal plus it's cheaper so if you decide you don't like it you're not out as much money. Bones are great but I highly recommend priming them. They say you don't need to and they won't be ruined without a primer but they come out so much better primed than unprimed.

Here's the thing about Bones; the thin bits warp and bend. Even some of the thicker bits do.

You need to use a hair dryer or something similar like boiling water to head them enough to put them in proper position. Some pieces like their early attempts at spears will probably always bend a bit anyway.

Bones mold lines are also a bit harder to remove. You can't really sand them away as easy, you kind of have to cut them and be careful doing it.

But on the plus side, you can paint directly on them without primer. You have to wash them with water, no soap or anything, just run under water and rub everything with your hands then let it air dry and try to avoid touching it with your bare hands during painting since the fuckers LOVE your skin oils and that will fuck the paint up badly. But hey, everyone should wear nitrile gloves while painting, this is just necessary rather than...fuck it, its necessary for everything.

That being said, its absolutely amazingly cheap. If you're cool with a bit more work for a much lower price, do it.
The big stuff like monsters and terrain are cheap as hell, and you can buy huge amount of skeletons to cut up for terrain bases for almost nothing.

Here's a video on the bending.
youtube.com/watch?v=URn9vujwksw

Bones are good for people who care about quantity and price more than they do about quality. If you want to bulk up your collection and don't care that much about having great looking minis, then Bones are absolutely for you.

If you want great minis or something super special to represent your character, Bones is not for you.

The one point where Bones absolutely shine is with larger figures. For price their huge minis cannot be beaten and they generally don't need the millimeter precise details that small figures do.

Fuck you.

That actually would be a pretty decent way to go about it, but idk how much dry ice costs. Over time, the fog machine would be cheaper, but if you only use it for every third or 4th game, the dry ice (wikihow said ~$3/bag) would likely be more cost efficient. If you can sculpt out a terrain piece from foam for the dry ice, you could have a pretty nifty setup.

Again though, does anyone actually set up shit that thoroughly? I'm the only person I've ever met who uses actual terrain pieces, and even then it's super rare because they're kind of obnoxious to set up and take down, and require a ton of space for storage. And the ones I have are paperboard or whatever (kickstarter.com/projects/1621774283/battle-systemstm-sci-fi-modular-terrain). I don't think I would risk damaging/destroying it just for a fog special effect.

I collect some Jojo figures, so Im somewhat familiar with rebending/straightening plastic, just looking through the stuff at local shops the packaging is not kind to swords, spears, etc.

>Again though, does anyone actually set up shit that thoroughly?
For wargames it is mandatory (Unless you have poor enough taste to play Warmachine), but for RPGs it really is unnecessary. It is especially unnecessary for me as I play D&D Basic where the players have to do the mapping themselves.

Dry ice is fairly cheap, the problem is you'd need to keep putting it in and it doesn't have much coverage, it wants to kind of float up and down and then stay.

The best way to do it would be to create a special table with some thin slots everywhere and drill a platform underneath for dry ice.

Or make a big thing in the center with holes in the sides like a tower or something which is how I do Halloween table centerpieces.

youtube.com/watch?v=jhInWBtVXxM

Ah, that's true for wargames. I didn't even think about that (I have a set of scenery I hand made for my wargaming needs). But that requires more open tabletop, and the fog machine wouldn't work so well anyway. Also, it would make tapes hard to read.

Has anyone in this thread actually did a KS?
Im working towards mine, contacting artists, translators, and editor etc. and shaping the game but there are few issues that still eludes me.
Is it really important to pay people to spam the game on every forum/board? I would like to avoid that relying only on myself and my(small)staff to eventually do some publicity on our own.

Also does anyone actually watch and funds kickstarters based on Tg reviewers?
i have a personal hate for bloggers and youtubers so I don't really get it, but while vidya youtubers tend to attract a lot ofmpeople I have no idea on how influent a tg reviewer can be.

Not yet, but I plan on it in the future. I've just been trying to talk about my game when it's relevant. I toss artwork into the art threads pretty regularly as well. I figure if people see it, have some comments on it, and see how it they can affect it, when the KS comes around, they'll be more interested in backing it.

While there are some paid shills, their number is vastly over-inflated. Posting the information about your game on various forums/boards where people who are likely to buy your game is mostly something that you or people who are fans of your products will do.
It's the law of averages. The more people talking about your game will likely lead to more backers.
Most of the tabletop games reviewers reach tabletop audiences, who would be interested in backing a tabletop kickstarter.
What are you working on?

>Also does anyone actually watch and funds kickstarters based on Tg reviewers?
That depends how you define "reviewers". If you mean that in the strictest sense and only mean actual reviewers giving their opinion on the game, then no. What can help sway me is a gameplay video, so if Rahdo counts as a "reviewer" then I would say yes.

Though an in-house play through like CMON has done several times is just as effective, at least if you're able to competently put together a play through that lets me see the rules and understand how the game plays out.

One thing I noticed about this bones kicstarter, there are a lot less minis in the core than the previous ones, but there are a heck of a lot more bigger models in it than the previous ones. Still seems like a pretty good deal even if it never grows from here on out.

When do they usually break down the core so you can add on extras?

That's definetely a good idea.
That was what i was thinking too, but you are never sure.
Also i hate shills, so I will be sure to at least be honest on who i am whenever i make an argument about it.
The point is, I have no idea how any of these youtubers(or people off youtube)has actually any influence.
of course, I'll have a gameplay vid on my website(on WIP)but probably I'll send a few copies around, just to see if they stimulate interest.
>What are you working on?
Its not even a prototype at this point, but I'm working on a GDR system made mainly for one-shots and short campaigns, witha focus on lateral thinking and humor, with "advanced" rules to flex it into a more"traditional"rpg.
May share something more when i have actually at least a functional set of rules and some arts, but it'll take time.

im doing this because an RPG is easy to print and ship, and i can ask for a pretty low sum to found it.
Ifit goes succesfull I might think on keeping doing games adding even physical shit like boardgames, etc.

Really hope I can turn it into reality.
When you reach a certain age on a life spent working you realize you are wasting most of your time in w job you hate and feel stripped off meaning.
Making people smile and have fun and creating games have always been my passions. Making them into reality would be a dream come true.
>inb4 shit english

That's why I'm hiring an editor(hopefully)

near the end, definitely in the pledge manager. Unless they don't offer it this time around.

>I have no idea how any of these youtubers(or people off youtube)has actually any influence.
Same way most reviewers do. People get to know their opinions on a subject and how they relate to their own so they can gain insights on what they would think of the game based on what the reviewer thinks. With Board games there's an extra layer where they explain the rules to you, so you also gain an understanding of the game, similar to reading the rulebook, but usually quicker and/or more entertaining.

Then there are your playthrough channels like Watch it Played and Rahdo Runs through, which are a more recent format and they allow you to get a deeper understanding as they actually go through a game and show you how all the mechanics work together. In that way it is similar to a Let's Play, but often board games are more designed for repeat plays, so they don't "spoil" a game some lets plays can.

Thanks for the insight.
I guess I'll just send a bunch of copies around to guys like these and see what happens.
if anything, i will have some free playtasting done.

God, that rock troll looks like a fucking awful sculpt. Why even bother making a thing like that?

Because people can't buy the FW equivalent anymore I assume. The arachnarok spider sculpt is just as bad.

>Because people can't buy the FW equivalent anymore I assume.
But that thing looks like it's made out of fucking Fimo or something, like the average person could make an equally good troll at home.

I'm not disputing people's need for rock trolls, I just don't get why anyone would produce or buy such a subpar sculpt of one.

That is a good point. Even Reaper's larger earth elemental seems like a better option. If it were me I would just bite the bullet and import and Chinese knock off of the OOP Forgeworld model. The troll is certainly the most skippable model in that kickstarter.

I think this Kickstarter will kill most of the Troll competition.

These look great and are so fucking cheap.

YOU GOTTA PAY THE TROLL TOLL

Can somebody explain why Reaper are so slow in making the already kickstarted Bones available for sale? I'm not buttmad about it or anything, I just don't understand the problem, I guess, since they must have the molds now and the point of kickstarting was to be able to expand the line quickly.

That rock troll should also work as an ice troll.

I'm actually really curious as well. They take fucking forever to get their shit to retail. They recently had a push of adding bones to their online store, and it's still shit from the 2nd bones. They are still trying to put bones 2 up! So anything you see here that you will want at retail, don't expect to see it on their store until at least 2020

I think they stagger for promotional reasons.

They have fans and collectors, especially the cheaper Bones.

So releasing a fuckton at once is not as enticing as releasing a decent chunk every month so every month there is around ten new releases.

>2020
More like 2023. Of course, there's always eBay or Amazon if you can't wait that long but the best Kickstarter pieces will be very marked up on there.

IF YOU WANT TO GET IN THIS GIRL'S HOLE

Naked Sophie on all fours with exposed pusspuss and bootyhole is worth like $80.

It blows my mind that there are people so desperate for some ass that they'll pay that kind of money for a lewd mini.

You got it wrong, it's:
IF YOU WANT TO GET INTO THIS BOY'S SOUL

Wasn't that expensive when it was new.

Its just the fact its their now adorable cosplaying mascot.

Like if GW made a mini ten years ago of Macha spreading her legs nude.

$80 is pocket change for Veeky Forums expenses

>it's still shit from the 2nd bones
They did release the Bones 3 core set and all the expansion boxes in July. Shame the Mythos one's out of stock already...

I badly want Bones apes, but I can't justify pledging just for that.

$80 gets you the entire Graveyard expansion from Bones 3.

Pledge the $1 pledge, bump it up to $10 which is probably what they will cost.

In every previous Bones Kickstarter they've allowed people to get parts of the core set as add-ons. Keep an eye on the Kickstarter, because you'll probably still be able to get just them for cheap.

If there are any fellow leafs wondering about custom charges, I've never had to pay customs on the last 3 Bones deliveries and those boxes were fucking huge.

The last thing I did get custom'd for was Drakengard 3, fuck digital river.

I got dinged hard on the first 2 cause I got a lot, but bones 3 I didn't get as much and it just appeared at my door with no notification it was even shipped, no fees either. I think its a matter of getting lucky or not.

That reminds me, where is this KS's Sophie?!

I loved the metal biker sophie we got in bones 1.

Closest we've got is the tormentor.
And I traded my biker Sophie for 25$ worth of add-ons.

>I loved the metal biker sophie we got in bones 1.
Uncanny.
>And I traded my biker Sophie for 25$ worth of add-ons.
I'm surprised to hear not everybody did this.

>number 1 selling miniature wargame needs a kickstarter
fuck them desu

What the fuck are you on about?

Yeah, either a metal succubus on a bike or Cthulhu and a far too huge dracolich that I still haven't painted.

Nigga u high?

Thst's unlicensed.

Dumb piece of shit.

Alright, I regret being that rude and can't seem to delete the post.

I'm a little irritated at the moment, I'm sorry.

>everyone sets their pledge to 40,000 dollars
>unlock all the rewards super quick
>wait until kickstarter over
>??????
>change your pledge to what you actually wanted

They adjust the amounts needed as they see fit, so at best you'd unlock all anounced reward levels. The next one would be set at about a billion.

so do it gradually

They would still adjust the amount needed. They also lowered the distances between the stretch goals after pledges slowed down the last days.

Bones is fucking trash.

What do we think of these?

I fucking love the owlbear. My players have a fear of the bastards cause I make them mean and savage, and I can already see their faces when I plop that skeletal fucker on the map.

these look fairly crappy, headswaps will be in order

They do give you some other skulls at least. But yeah, gonna pass on that myself.

More pronounced saggital ridge, too.

kickstarter.com/projects/984996675/basius-4-community

Here's another one people might be interested in. Moulds for making bases. I've got a couple of their bigger plates, which are pretty good. The setup on this one is kinda stupid, since you'll usually want a mix of a couple from various sets rather than a full set of anything, but I've backed it to fifty quid, which'll get me a couple things I'd been wanting.

>kickstarter.com/projects/984996675/basius-4-community

>kickstarter in pounds

looks good but I would have backed if they didnt use a meme currency

Pretty sure they're family-owned FLGS types. Not a particularly huge project like Bones. Pretty sure they are offering international shipping, at least.

Damn I want that knight model. Why isn't it included, Reaper? WHY?!?!?

Sir Forscale? He was in the other Bones and he's like a $2 mini.

Anyone have an opinion on Reaper's paints? I've never used them, but I figure if I've got 100+ minis to paint I don't want to blow all my expensive citadel paints on them. $18 seems like a good deal for 12 different colors.

I like them, the tend to have a more matte finish than citadel stuff which I've come to prefer. also dropper bottles > pots

About what!? I still have no idea what's got you jimmies so rustled

This.

they are fucking sweet and they are the big dropper bottles so you get a lot more value than a pot which will probably dry out before you even get through the whole thing

I prefer Valejo, but they're pretty decent. Better than Citadel, at least.

>dropper bottles > pots
i hate this meme, dropper bottles constantly sprout out more paitn then i need, the only poitn you could make is GW paints die pretty quickly, but that is only if yopu do big ass painting hiatus. P3 pots don't seem to dry that fast in my experience and pots are jsut too much more precise in paint amount. Lastly pots are incredibly easier to shake.

Their paints are good. Just be aware that they don't need as much thinning as others, and that Bones are a weird material to paint, if you don't do something to seal it.

What a joke! You must be the clown of the FLGS

>dropper bottles constantly sprout out more paitn then i need
What are you squeezing it like a ketchup bottle? I can get a quarter of a droplet out of my reaper bottles with little effort. Mainly because I'm not squeezing the shit out of it.
>the only poitn you could make is GW paints die pretty quickly
And that's a big fucking point. All the time you have that pot open, the paint is drying. A huge waste of money.
>but that is only if yopu do big ass painting hiatus
Nope. The painting is drying while you are using it. A non-issue with dropper bottles because the paint inside extremely rarely gets a taste of open air.
>P3 pots don't seem to dry that fast in my experience and pots are jsut too much more precise in paint amount.
Wait, what? I am genuinely confused by this statement. I really have no idea what you are trying to say.
>Lastly pots are incredibly easier to shake.
Hahaha what? Dropper bottles are just as easy to shake as pots! They aren't unwieldy or anything. This is the most retarded statement you have made. It's actually pretty amazing.

are you actually retarded

I bought two. She's a bitch to put together though.