EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Banding Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Namefag bitchfest, but People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
What's the most obscure rule or rules interaction you've deliberately invoked?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/09-01-17-explosion/
discord.gg/4f4gz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't care what anyone says, this is the real secret tech when playing with randoms.

Dunno if it's necessarily obscure, but the Fiend Hunter + sac outlet interaction led to some heated conversations at my table the first time I did it.

>What's the most obscure rule or rules interaction you've deliberately invoked?

No touchbacks.

>friends who can't into the stack

No, James, you can't sacrifice something, put it on the stack, and sacrifice it again in response.

Roon has a ruling where if he blinks someone's general and they send him to the command zone, the general will still return to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step, but because they touched the command zone, they'll suffer an extra commander tax the next time they have to cast their general. I used to use this to convince people to let their generals go to exile instead, then trap them with Sundial of the Infinite

I guarantee you're going to receive a huge argument again like last thread but I love this card.

against randoms, it's not a bad card in casual edh

i wouldn't really bother with it against players whose decks i know

Didn't notice the previous thread was dead.

I want a BG/x deck for Eldrazi Tribal and big mana with Vorinclex. What should I go for?

Already got Gitrog in my Mazirek deck, and I want a (at least 3-color), so there's more options for the tribe

But it's objectively true. When you're playing in a new group, you can only generally know what they should be playing. People with oddball strategies or strange/not optimized decks it'll blow their cover and let you play with so much more confidence. You'll literally know exactly when you can and can't move forward with your strategy, when to dig for answers, and when you can attack or make a move.

Why BG? You could go Simic and use Kruphix

Recently got Cabal Coffers and Hour of Promise

>friend bitches that the stack never works in his favor
>when all he ever uses is sorcery-speed spells and abilities that no one will fuck with because they're bad

This is bait right?

In that case maybe consider Damia? You're already going to be ramp focused, and she just acts as a way to refill your hand.
Conversely Thrasios and some Bx parter would work since he's a mana sink and pseudo ramp.

I'm sure your play group loves playing singleton without their commander. Like bruh why would you make it so unfun

>doesn't get it
>so you must be cheating

Not him, but if the players decide to make their stuff go to exile, it'll stay there if he pops Sundial, since Roon is a slow blink, and Sundial skips the end step and goes right to cleanup step. I used it to great effect in Zirilan when I ran it, let me keep my Dragons. It's a major gaping asshole move, but a totally legal one within the rules.

He's wrong though. Tax is only applied/increased when casting the commander from the CZ. He's either an idiot or he knew this and lied to other people in a children's card game.

That's not the part I was calling bait.
>but because they touched the command zone, they'll suffer an extra commander tax the next time they have to cast their general
See

I've almost sperged out and been like "look dude, your deck sucks," but they're fun guys to play with and I don't have anyone else to play EDH with so I don't want to lose them

>look up Baral on edhrec
>Counterspell is first under top cards
You morons

I feel like how good this card is depends on the threat level of your deck. As long as your deck is the kind that will squeek by under the radar, or is at least weaker than everyone else's it can be a lot of fun to see everyones threats and answers, and know what is going where before anything is ever played. Like you might see a counterspell, but already know it's destined for the other guys paradox engine.

Ain't that the truth? You either put up with your group or you find randoms. And as nerdy as I am (discussing Magic and obsessively going over my decks on a Friday night and all), I just can't deal with some of the fucking weirdos who play this game at shops. Jesus H. Christ, a lot of them are walking stereotypes. Often huge, lumbering stereotypes.

Oh THAT, yeah, that's some shady bullshit. Roon doesn't care where the cards go

What'd you expect? Baral is a 1v1 monster

>Damia with play X extra lands each turn
That's hot as fuck. It's either that or Ravos/Thraosis. Would you say losing Vile Aggregate and Kozilek's Return is worth it for Eldrazi Displacer, Extricator of Flesh and Brisela?

I think his point was that Baral discounts spells, but Counterspell still costs UU. You could instead use something like Dissolve for the same cost.

It still makes use of one of his abilities and it's a good card when he isn't in play?

why does selesnya have shit card advantage?

Yes, Kozilek's Return isn't great in EDH. You might as well play Wrath of God and Toxic Deluge.
Brisela could be fun if you manage to meld her.

How to use this guy?

It doesn't though. You have tons of tutors, plenty of green card draw spells, plus things like Land Tax and Sylvan Library. If you go GW enchantress then you have card advantage for days.

Be a cool guy and run Charm.dec

reminder that if brisela couldn't be partners it's a busted mechanic

Ahhh I gotcha

Fucking Null Brooch and Arena. Null Brooch STILL, TO THIS DAY, makes my best friend irrationally mad, while my use of Arena made it banned for a few months in my playgroup. I have no regrets using either of them.

First of all, harmonize is a solid card. Second of all, green has some pretty good options, and both colors have very good options for recursion, which is a form of card advantage and/or card selection. White also has flicker effects to reuse some of your cards, another kind of card advantage.

White's weakness is card advantage for sure though, so any color combo with white is going to have to lean on the other color for card draw.

Cards I like in GW for card advantage/selection/reuse:

Reveillark
Eternal witness
Vizier of the menagerie
Duskwatch Recruiter
Regal force
Soul of the harvest/primordial Sage
Genesis wave
Eerie interlude/ghostway
Sun Titan
Argivian find
Restoration Angel
Lifecrafter's bestiary
Zendikar resurgent
Garruk primal hunter
Ajani unyielding
Oath of nissa
Nissa vastwood seer
Abundance

On the contrary, it's especially useful in a group of people who know each others's decks. You can point to a guy and say "look, he has all his combo pieces in hand. let's attack him before he kills us all" and have it be objectively true. The card changes *social* board state.

Great now I gotta make this. Literally have all the charms set aside for this already.

If you have some graveyard abuse in your meta, how much hate do you run? Bojuka Bog doesn't seem to be enough for me but I don't really want to put in cards that are otherwise useless elsewhere.

Oh fuck this sounds great

Man I hope the Grixis Wizards deck is good. My group buys a precon every year just to fuck around with, and claims have been made on the other 3 decks this year

>tfw taking 20 minute combo win turns with a bone-stock Yidris precon
>absolutely dunking on people with the Mizzix and Trash Pope decks

My luck may have run out

full retard question: tappedout mana pie chart... do the lines need to meet up for it to be considered properly balanced between land and card cost?

make your removal exile-based

Conflux storm.

>but because they touched the command zone, they'll suffer an extra commander tax the next time they have to cast their general.

That's not how the command tax works at all. It counts how many times the commander's been cast, not how many times it's "touched" command.

>903.8. A player may cast a commander he or she owns from the command zone. A commander cast from the command zone costs an additional {2} for each previous time the player casting it has cast it from the command zone that game.

That's a good plan. Got a fair amount of that as is but yeah, that can cover me pretty well here.

As much as I love I'd rather try to storm out by way of 5 color spells, +1/+1 counter spells, and flicker/bounce effects

If you have any other utility lands then you can run expedition map or sylvan scrying, in which case you'll have 2 bojuka bogs, so to speak, but only in matchups where bojuka bog is good. In other matchups, you'll only have 1 so you won't be drawing too many cards that don't do anything. This applies to any other tutors you have as well.

If you still think you don't have enough gy hate then the best options are Rest In Peace, tormod's crypt, scavenging ooze, and nihil spellbomb i think

You should favor the things that you need more of during the early game.
Have blue, but most of it is at 5

Relic of Progenitus is better than Nihil or Tormod's if you don't mind nuking your own yard

One thing I've noticed is that sometimes the size of the pie slices will match the outer ring slices, but they will be offset for some reason, and I'm not sure why.

>crack fetch with top on the field
>no reaction
>rifle through deck to find an island
>opponent points artifact destruction at top expecting me to activate it and shuffle it in
>while I'm in the middle of resolving the fetch
>explain this to him
>explain the next opportunity to cast it would be when I next pass priority
>activate top
>artifact destruction
>tap top
>fizzle spell
>no response
>resolving top three
>asks if I would shuffle it in anyway
>yes really
>don't like what I see on top
>shuffle it anyway

And everyone was happy.

I don't mind nuking my yard at all. Thing is, I honestly don't want that many slots devoted to graveyard hate if there is only one guy who uses it but is a big threat. I run Academy Ruins so maybe Nihil Spellbomb is enough of a backup? Even though I'd have to tutor for that too.

If you don't care about your yard at all then relic of progenitus is likely the best because it essentially has 2 generic mana cycling, which is not bad for a dead card. And nihil spellbombs cycling cost would be 1B, so slightly worse, and it's also worse if you don't care about your yard because it only exiles one opponents yard.

As for tutoring it, Trinket mage is perfect but you really don't need to be tutoring it very often, the whole point of running an extra piece of gy hate is that you double your chances of drawing it naturally, and you can always use a normal tutor like Demonic (since you're obviously in black with Bojuka bog) if you really need to

It's fine to overrepresent a splash color in your lands. If only 20% of your deck is one color, you should have a bit more than that in the lands, otherwise you've made it a very slim chance that mana available from your lands and the mana you need to cast your splash color will overlap.

Oh I forgot about this one, this is good

It's also a question of having enough answers for this particular problem. I run a good number of board wipes because it's unlikely that one will do the trick all game. Same goes for this issue. I don't really want to use a lot of slots but I also don't want to be stuck with only one or two answers when I may well need several. It's made a tough call since it's so situational.

Now that's a good one indeed.

>tfw the shop I've been going to for the last 14 years shut down out of the blue yesterday and I didn't get to say goodbye to the cool owner

Are you trying to tell me you've never stalked anyone before? What is this amateur hour horseshit?

I expect you outside that person's house tomorrow morning.

Sidisi or Razaketh for my first competative commander deck? Are there any good builds for Sidisi(the monoblack one) that aren't AdNaus?

>Razaketh
>Competitive
user...

>competitive commander
How about you fucking kill yourself dude

how do you autists feel about alts?

Storm is pretty good from what I hear.

Alters? Alternate somethings? The alt key?

Seton

How about you fucking kill me my man

Razaketh to spite

alters, and the alt right

It's funny, when I play against people that I haven't met before, I ask if I can side that in and that I'd take out FoW or MD for compensation.

Weirdly enough, they rather me keep my counterspells, makes me wonder what tech they normally use. :S

Alters are fine
Alt-right are scum

Thats because they don't want you to gimp yourself, user. They respect themselves as players more than that.

They know it's power.

Sub in a bunch of MLD for your counterspells instead

>my wife's bull said it's okay for me to post on Veeky Forums while he bangs my wife

Razaketh is for Shadowborn Apostle.dec

will we see the return of any dominaria commanders next year? what's the chance of them being good?

What is your favorite X cost card to cast for a fuckbillion?

Jhoira is inherently good, just that anyone with half a brain would know that she needs to be shut down immediately.

Like a Sen Triplets and Brago player, you could be behind on lands and still be considered the biggest threat at the table.

I just played my Wort deck tonight, and won several games with it. I'm pretty happy with what I made out of it.

Any other things I should add or be aware with my decklist?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/09-01-17-explosion/

Genesis wave or molten disaster

What's some good 1-2 drops for non-tribal Scarab God?

real men play Valakut packages in their Wort decks

Do you guys have any friends you love, but hate to play magic with?

>Friend A wants to learn to play Magic
>Friend B is part of a pretty spiky playgroup I'm now a part of
>And me
>I loan friend A my budget Edric deck because it's cheap to make, easy to use, and I can teach him about certain interactions and the difference between casting spells and resolving them
>Friend B pulls out his newly made Locust God
>"Friend B, why don't you play Doran, it's more honest and won't combo out so friend A can learn more?"
>"user I just made it just let me test it."
>He combos out turn 4 and wins
>"What, how did I know it would do that?"
>"You built the deck to do it and spent like $400 on it?"
>"So?"

I love the dude, but he does this shit all the time.

Careful study, entomb, mesmeric orb, shriekmaw

And then there's a million general goodstuff cards you can run, Demonic and Vampiric tutors, Crypt and Sol ring, Dimir Signet and Talisman of dominance, etc are auto includes, but you can include cheap counterspells and kill spells if you want as well

Sea Gate Oracle, Dakra Mystic

Some of these are zombies but... Mystic Remora, Cathartic Adept, Altar of the Brood, Plaguebearer, Keeper of the Dead, Cabal Interrogator, Brine Shaman.

>friend plays agsint any tier 1 deck
dosen't care will happily watch them combo out
>pull out brago once
spergs out and wont talk to me refuses to play if he even sees the deck

my friends a dumbass

meant to reply too

steal shit or zombies for scarab god?

Haha, OP, you seemed to have forgotten the Discord info. Here it is:

Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/4f4gz

Don't beat yourself up about it though. Just try to be less forgetful next time.

>"Tim", pretty good friend, known him for about 2 years
>Plays stuff like Khaalia, RW Giants and Ydris
>Hates Blue
>shit talks the player
>talks about wanting to kill himself when a MLD or otherwise high threat spell of his gets countered

>Is salty when Blue does Blue but Mardu don't
>"Fuck, just let me play."
>"You were literally casting Iona against a Mono-U player."
>"Yeah? So?"

>Plays Avacyn
>Is salty when it's bounced back to his hand

>Plays Gisella
>Copy it with Sakashima and another Clone card
>Has a bitch fit about how that's unfair

Love him to death, but fuck me that becomes a little much.

Play blue green, shit eldrazi onto his chest. Make him realize he 8s just a salty bitch

>Friend playing Yidris against me and another player whose general is Hikori, we'll call him "John"
>"hey guys, leave mana open!"
>"John don't cast collective voyage, it's a trap and it's going to fuck us."
>"No user, no it won't!"
>He casts collective voyage, taps out
>Hikori player taps out
>I have one mana open, don't tap it.
>Ten lands come onto the battlefield, all tapped.
>Hikori goes next, casts Hikori
>John is surprised somehow

Fuck, I hate people like that.

I'm not a fan of having things countered either but fuck that's autistic.

>Iona on the mono player

Oh, he's that guy.

Jhoira is is just 3UR, When~ enters the battlefield, exile a big ass spell

It would really help if you actually played the game.

Turn 3 Oldamog/OldKoz with haste ends games.

>That guy

In our group, he's superseded by another as "that guy"
>"Anyone want to play against my, no joke, turn 2 Niv deck?"

How do you get a turn 3 eldrazi off jhoira?

T1: Island (or any quick UR land) -> Sol Ring -> Thought Vessel (or any other 2cmc mana rock)
T2: Mountain (or any quick UR land) -> Jhoira -> Suspend fatty
T3: Timecrafting on Suspended fatty -> Hit with fatty

It's unbelievable how easy it is.