I'm about to hit the books and start making my setting

Any tips?

Other urls found in this thread:

brainpickings.org/index.php/2013/11/22/bird-by-bird-anne-lamott/
brainpickings.org/2014/09/04/famous-writers-on-keeping-a-diary/
eldritchdark.com/writings/nonfiction/30/realism-and-fantasy
wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/index.php/Fishing_from_the_same_stream
eldritchdark.com/writings/nonfiction/23/on-fantasy
io9.gizmodo.com/how-to-write-descriptive-passages-without-boring-the-re-1479764153
eldritchdark.com/writings/nonfiction/20/fantasy-and-human-experience
brainpickings.org/2010/10/13/nina-paley-creativity/
eldritchdark.com/writings/nonfiction/33/where-fantasy-meets-science-fiction
brainpickings.org/index.php/2014/08/07/allergy-to-originality-drew-christie/
eldritchdark.com/writings/nonfiction/21/horror,-fantasy-and-science
eldritchdark.com/writings/nonfiction/17/atmosphere-in-weird-fiction
hollylisle.com/apples-bananas-the-writers-need-for-experience/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

sensory deprivation chambers, proofreading should be done in reverse with the last sentence first.

Drugs

Go for realism, it's a lot easier to world build a coherent and fleshed out setting if you port real world rules and only use fantastic elements sparingly, also you learn a lot of neat stuff from the research you'll end up doing

Make your names not-shit. Too many settings have died due to having unweildy names of things

Any good naming tips?

Start with mechanics, then level design, then story then aesthetics.

Each should be dependent on the one before it.

E.g. Level design should be about using game mechanics to reach the end. The level design should be to advance the plot, the story should be there to make the art/aesthetic believable.

It's not something I really wanna debate but what about doing it Story&Aesthetics, Mechanics, Level Design. Figuring focusing on an interesting setting first, what mechanics/systems would fit it best, then design the levels around said story.

Include Hellknights, These always Lawful (good, neutral, or evil) Knights are the epitome of Law and have created a vast order that ensures Law is upheld no matter the means.

Hellknights are so badass, that the only way to become a member is to accept "The Test". Where you are pitted in single combat against a Devil with more HD than you (typically a hard challenge, especially if low level)

Despite using Hell as a major factor in how they see Law as an absolution, they aren't inherently evil, think of a league of Judge Dredd's.

Been making my setting for a little more than ten years already.
All I can say is good luck and have no fear of scrapping a few ideas that looked good before but now you realize how stupid they were.

Nobody should ever reach, let alone surpass, lvl 12 without being touched by divinity.

Culture abd history should steer the direction of naming conventions for shit.

Make sure your setting is a place to tell stories in.

>level design

Okay, normally I'm not one to bitch about people not talking about Veeky Forums related things but for fucks sake, man.

Have fun, read what you like, the first time writing anything will end up shitty.

You will read a hundred lines for every one you write.

"Believable" trumps "realistic".

Carry a notebook.

There are ways to get high without drugs

The internet has all the information you need.

Don't be afraid to scrap a whole continent if you see it bringing more problems than solutions. You'll eventually recycle some of the ideas you scrap.

Sometimes you get moments of inspiration in which you write as fast as you think and the result almost doesn't revising, but they're few.

I have been more creative struggling with self-imposed limits than having complete creative freedom.

brainpickings.org/index.php/2013/11/22/bird-by-bird-anne-lamott/

brainpickings.org/2014/09/04/famous-writers-on-keeping-a-diary/

eldritchdark.com/writings/nonfiction/30/realism-and-fantasy

wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/index.php/Fishing_from_the_same_stream

eldritchdark.com/writings/nonfiction/23/on-fantasy

io9.gizmodo.com/how-to-write-descriptive-passages-without-boring-the-re-1479764153

eldritchdark.com/writings/nonfiction/20/fantasy-and-human-experience

brainpickings.org/2010/10/13/nina-paley-creativity/

eldritchdark.com/writings/nonfiction/33/where-fantasy-meets-science-fiction

brainpickings.org/index.php/2014/08/07/allergy-to-originality-drew-christie/

eldritchdark.com/writings/nonfiction/21/horror,-fantasy-and-science

eldritchdark.com/writings/nonfiction/17/atmosphere-in-weird-fiction

hollylisle.com/apples-bananas-the-writers-need-for-experience/

Say it aloud. The name is the first time most people hear about something, it has to set the tone.

>proofreading should be done in reverse with the last sentence first

i like this idea

Don't stress out.
The process will take a long time. Do it bit by bit every day. Set a schedule and keep it. Never skip a day.
Good luck.

Why are you designing a setting? It's almost always a waste of time.

If you're doing it to run a game you're better off actually designing that game and things in it the players will actually be doing. Nobody gives a shit about your homebrew world.

If you're doing it to settle a novel I'm you're better off actually writing a story within that world. People are.more engaged with the Hobbit than they are the
silmarillion.

If you're doing it for the fun of it sure go on ahead.

>Every RPG is D&D.
Good one.

Eat a giant bag of dicks hipster fag.

Don't.

It's a waste of time.

>Being this mad at realism

Fuck off

then why even call them hellknights and set up the confusion, just call them judges.

THE LAW has a bad pr team

Ask yourself the question "why is X, X" a lot. But make sure not to get discouraged, just try to come up with interesting reasons for things to be the way they are to flesh out your world. If you can't immediately think of something, don't worry about it. Go work on a different part, watch a show or read a book and in a day or two you'll think of something or you'll forget about it.

Before getting two deep into the nuts and bolts, you really need to think about what the setting's purpose is for and what sort of delivery medium you're going to use for the setting (game, comic, interpretive dance epic, etc). If you don't have either and just want to make a setting to make a setting, you're effectively just masturbating to some degree, though if that sounds like your jam then just go nuts and fill out details that make you happy.

Now if you are going to use this setting for something, think about who your audience is and what details are actually going to be useful. Sure you can name and catalog every type of flora and fauna for a particular reason, but if that isn't ever going to come up or be used you're just back to masturbating. Remember that more is less in this scenario, and having enough useful, high quality details will carry you a long way. Also when picking these details keep in mind what kind of moods and themes you want to convey, since they'll have a strong influence on what will be your key details.

does THE LAW really have worse pr than hell?

Think about that sentence for a little

so you're just implying that the people at fantasy PD called their cops "hellknights" because they have a collective Int + Wid of 2? That's stupid, it isn't even funny. Why I'd bother responding to you.

Hell has the best pr ever

Hell knights believe that hell is an important part of law

So they called them hellknights

Good advice in here. Remember your audience: if you have players in mind for a campaign, remember to put focus on details that will be relevant to them first.

Don't be afraid to step back and sit on it for a while--or allow your players to stumble onto something for you. Worldbuilding can draw inspiration from unexpected sources.

don't be shit

Invite me so I can play

T. Moved to a new city and have no group

I began constructing a setting for my own campaign last year and I have been adding to it even after the campaign began. something I did I would recommend to an DM looking to make their own setting is take player input.

a month before our first session I asked all of them to make a single thing. could be anything from the smallest village to a whole dimension. a single person, organization, or even an object no matter how mundane or epic so long as it was fluffy. everything that my first players created instantly became canon to the setting and while this specific campaign might end, subsequent ones will have their creations as part of the cannon whether or not they use them.

also don't strain to work out every little detail beforehand make a functional world and then develop it as you go because it leaves room for you and the party to shape the world as you go

The important picture is more important than the big picture. It's also a lot smaller.

Come up with your "elevator pitch" description first and then keep referring back to it whenever you make something else. This will help keep things consistent.

look at what Dominions did
aka: steal deeper

VTNL pls

setting =/= system =/= campaign you triple nigger

start small, add lore as needed