Excuse me Enginseer, but what exactly /is/ a lasgun? It's clearly not a laser...

Excuse me Enginseer, but what exactly /is/ a lasgun? It's clearly not a laser, as it has recoil and it's beam is visible in all environments.

*BLAM*

It's a gun that fires lases

That is a mystery of the Omnissiah that will be explained to you after your surgery to induct you into His service, Servitor candidate #437821D/89.

The visible beam is a low-intensity tracer light in the visible spectrum, designed to allow the operator to track and coordinate his fire with that of his squadmates.

>has recoil
only in hands of writers who dont know what a lser is
>and it's beam is visible in all environments.
its almost like a battlefield is full of dust and stuff

also, a visible beam of energy is the fastest way to convey "laser" to people

so basically, its the hollywood version of a laser

the lasguns issued to some PDFs or backwards regiments have a recoil simulating mechanism to help soldiers get accustomed with the weapon, as the absolute lack of recoil would be jarring and encourage unnecessary compensation which shows just how ignorant bongs can be about firearms, as you are NOT supposed to compensate recoil by anything else than just absorbing it through your stance, which makes the presence or absence of recoil completely irrelevant. This line of thought can only be justified with the principle of "not blowing their minds completely".

Plus, it is stated (in the Gaunt novels I think) that the lasguns have different coloured beams to differentiate at a distance between the forces engaged in a firefight. Neat, but antiquated concept. In my group's games, lasguns shoot a beam far off in the ultraviolet spectrum, therefore invisible bar the presence of specific kinds of goggles (ex. night vision, enabling fire compensation when unable to look through sights because of how bulky the goggles are. Kind of light an IR laser sight nowadays)

I've always liked this explanation. In fact some lasguns have "sound makers" that makes the weapon sound like a gun, because people from modern era style planets are used to kinetic projectile weapons.

Meanwhile, archers and crossbow users from more primitive planets, are given standard issue lasguns, as they're used to relatively silent weapons.

FPBP as usual

A high intensity laser pulse doesn't need fake speakers to sound like a gun, and it isn't silent. Y'know how lightning sounds when it flash heats the air in its path? Pretty much that on a small scale.

>as it has recoil
Only sometimes, most of the time it isn't brought up, which leads me to believe the writers that include it either do it to give lasguns some kind of forceful punch in the writing or they're just idiots.

I've read on Veeky Forums that lasguns have a recoil mechanism in them to help control an IG's rate of fire and to give mechanical feedback the weapon is functioning, but that seems flimsy, poorly thought out, and I've never seen it in a rulebook/codex/BL work so take it for what you will.

>it's beam is visible in all environments.
I've never heard this. Not saying it isn't in a rulebook or something, but I've never heard it said you can see it in ALL environments.

I think they're just lasers and writers don't look up the exact science on how a laser weapon would actually work.

The game designers and writers are Brits who probably have no experience with firearms. Just like most Hollywood writers.

That's pretty much as he long and short of it.

>it has recoil and it's beam is visible in all environments
cite your sources

In an active firing line, how can you tell your gun is working without visual or tactile feedback? Sound alone isn't reliable.

Having a visible beam also allows one to aim without sighting up the gun itself.

Yeah, the visible beam is clearly intentional. Otherwise whisper-lasguns wouldn't be possible.

Light does have momentum so a sufficiently powerful laser would have noticeable recoil. On the other hand, lasers that energetic would be more effective than described.

Iwill tell you my son, it is

110101010101010101010101111101101010101010111110001010101010101010100101010010101101010110101010101010010101010001101010100101

now if you want to know what that means, please come this way

*BLAM*

Now this is a spicy meme.

It's physics man. The momentum of a photon is plank's contant divided by its wavelength.

This would never create any sort of relevant recoil with a handheld laser weapon, even without any sort of recoil mitigation system.

Agreed. If you want an explanation it should be something boring like that the recoil comes from the rapid expansion of the air in front of the barrel due to heating.

We're pretty regularly told in Gaunt's Ghost's that las wounds self-cauterize, so I'd take that explanation, dubious as it is.

Why are you trying to ressurect this failed forced meme? Hoping newfags won't recognize how you would try to spam these threads daily?

it would roughly coincide with GW's depiction of las weapons, at least

the laser beam shit is mostly from Relic

The lasguns are described as making a cracking noise when firing, either made by it vaporising the air infront of thr barrel or the firing mecganism making the noise, also it has been pointed out that lasbeams don't need to be so 'wide' because lasers don't work like that irl because ofbpower consumptuon problems but my theory is that the IOM has developed sufficiently powerfull battery tech to power beams with enough energy to be wide and visible at the same time, since you need alot of power to make a laser beam be visible irl

The thing I love most about 'excuse me' threads are the people who genuinely think its just one guy doing it.

That bugs me to no end. There is no reason for an energy weapon to not leave bleeding wounds unless it is fully immolating its target.

Holy shit, I thought you had killed yourself, you meme-forcing faggot.
Now I'm just left wishing you had.

I assumed the light and sound was the atmosphere burning up.

>I think they're just lasers and writers don't look up the exact science on how a laser weapon would actually work.

They basically stopped for a good long time once the mods began banning them. Suggests it's a very small group of meme-forcers at best.

Here's hoping the mods delete this thread and ban OP for just repeating this exact thread for the fifteenth time. I think even half the replies are identical to the last one.

Who else but the biggest faggot in the world would try to bring back his failed "posting-template"?

There can't be two biggest faggots in the world. Or, did you tie with OP?

*metallic screeching*

My question is when he's finally going to give up.
He tries every three months, like he thinks anyone will forget how much of a faggot he is, or that his terrible photoshop skills and shitty repeated threads are anything but pure cringe.

I don't even know where the meme is from and it's bothering me

A super duper high powered laser might be able to, theoretically, heat up the air in the barrel enough to cause it to violently expand and kick back the gun. Such a high intensity beam might also cause the molecules in its path to glow white hot from the excitation, leaving visible traces everywhere except in hard vacuum.

Why a laser would need a barrel is a different question entirely.

Honestly, ive made a few threads (3 or so) with this format because its guaranteed replies and I was bored. not op btw

Honestly, why?

Sunk-cost fallacy? You've probably spent hundreds of hours trying to force this meme, and you could have spent those hours actually doing something that wasn't an absolutely unnecessary and unwanted sub-/r9k/-tier attempt at pushing your awful images all just to try and establish a "legacy".

You could have learned a language or something, instead of trying to force this meme.

Some guy's critique of Star Trek: First Contact, asking questions about why the Enterprise was set up with stupid features.

Why are you so salty? Did a memeposter touch in a bad place or something?

It's funny, because they're not guaranteed replies. The last couple of these threads failed to get more than a handful of posts, which is why OP tried making it in the early morning, and also likely padding it with some copy-pasted replies from the last time he made this thread. This isn't the first time he's done this, or even the tenth time, and there's really no limit to how shameful his methods are. There's an entire archive graveyard of identical threads, because OP has been trying to force this meme for years.

The guy should try to force this in /tv/, not Veeky Forums then. I heard they like shitty forced memes in /tv/.

Are you sure your not just paranoid.

>some guy

I don't remember their name, and I didn't feel like looking it up. Sorry.

He's been caught redhanded in the past for doing it. Why suspect anything different this time around?

Feels more like some guy has a disproportionate hatred of this meme and tries to rile up the entire board against it. It might even be that all the posts attacking it are made just by him.

Feels more like OP's trying some damage control.

Maybe he is OP, in an attempt to bump his forced meme threads by creating discussion about how much of a forced meme his shitty threads are.

Ever though of that? huh? checkmate

Don't do this to me dude

These people do not realize that the memeposter cannot post if you disable his internet.

What happened to threads just being about fun? When did it become almost illegal to have a thread with a prompt to invite some fun discussion?

There is no shortage of people who remember and despise the guy (or guys) who tried to force this meme. Veeky Forums is somewhat resistant to shitty forced memes, and this one in particular is very shitty and clearly been forced. One guy would literally copy and paste a cycle of threads and post them daily until the mods stepped in and just banned these.

Or maybe OP already blew his load over the attention and has fucked off, and all that's left are the suckers in the trap debating his legacy and questioning each other.

You can have fun without a shitty forced meme "post template". It's not illegal to have a thread asking a question, but it's absolutely unnecessary to try to force a meme as well, especially when the only reason you're asking the question is to force the meme.

>Veeky Forums is somewhat resistant to shitty forced memes

Have you concidered the possibility of these threads actually being a real meme, being posted by multiple people, and are concidered funny by some? Or do you just think your meme-conspiracy theory is more believable?

>You can have fun without a shitty forced meme "post template".

Or you can have fun with it.

I honestly don't see the problem. Don't like the thread? Don't participate.

There is so much wrong with lasguns that they're almost as far in the fiction part of sci-fi as fucking daemons.

It's probably easier to justify the metric fuckton of pauldrons, skulls and decorations on your average space marine.

I think the meme is fine. The idea that it's only one person doing it is hilarious. I once made a thread with the template and there were a couple people blowing a gasket and accusing me of being some spamming bogeyman. If people find it funny and repeat a meme on their own volition then it isn't forced.

Mostly just that it's better to have fun without it, and also reduces threads like this which are just a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a spammed thread.

Imagine if everyone tried to spam "post templates" into place, and how shitty this board would be if people accepted memeforcing. We'd be almost as bad as /r9k/.

Considering that a mod outed the idiot, and he said similar things like this, there's a reason people would take posts like yours with a degree of skepticism.

It's funny how one guy has literally traumatized an entire board. Paranoid as fuck.

It's a really shitty "meme" though. Shitty photoshops combined with questions that are either answered in three seconds with a google search or are just otherwise pointless? There's a reason people were calling it a forced meme in the first few days of it being spammed, and though some trolls latched onto also trying to force it because that's what trolls do, it's really just a thorougly shitty attempt at a meme in every regard.

Hell, it's not even a Veeky Forums-related forced meme, but belongs in /tv/.

>Shitty photoshops

How is this a gatekeeper to being a good meme, you don't know much about memes desu.

>tries to defend a shitty meme
>with another shitty meme

Shouldn't you be spamming in /pol/ right now?

Ancapball is a top-tier meme how dare you.

Well you clearly have no taste, why should anyone listen to your meme judgements? Whats a good meme, in your honoured opinion? What levels of artistic excellence should we be holding our memes?

And shouldn't you be napping in your safe space?

Why is it no surprise that /pol/-tards are the ones bumping this thread?

This plus any laser weapon that fires discreet pulses is going to be charging and then discharging a bank of capacitors. That's unlikely to be silent.

Ancapball has nothing to do with nu-/pol/ you blubbering fool.

>Having a visible beam also allows one to aim without sighting up the gun itself.
What? Seeing the beam as it fires doesn't help you to aim in the slightest. It does help to confirm if your shot was a hit or a miss but it in no way substitutes for aiming.

>liking a /pol/ meme makes you a /pol/tard
People of all creeds can have fun with ancap jokes mate. I don't even go there.

You're like cockroaches that someone shined a light on.

>my theory is that the IOM has developed sufficiently powerfull battery tech to power beams with enough energy to be wide and visible
How poweful it is has nothing to do with whether it's visible. The beam is visible where it interacts with dust, water or other airborne particles.

That said, everywhere except a vacuum the beam is usually somewhat visible, especially from the point of view of someone looking from behind the projector. It's just not the solid beam that people like to project.

>77 posts
>29 ips

hmmmmm

>everything I don't like is /pol/

How do you figure?

That's how discussions work, mate. State, reply, counter-reply...

It's the threads where everyone posts just once that are stillborn.

>people can't adjust to a silent, recoil-less gun

>track something going the speed of light

You don't get a beam as it fires; you activate the beam with a trigger touch or manually, like on real laser sighted handguns.

It had recoil during Final Liberation cutscenes.

/tv/ has it too, it's just Frodo instead.

That's why we don't call it a lasergun, it's a LASgun, it shoots LAS

Alternatively, the recoil is more of a jolt of pleasure from its machine spirit that the user gets for successful firing the weapon

>complaining about recoil
You guys know photons have momentum, right?

If you fire a huge amount of energy from a weapon it's going to have some kind of kickback. Lasguns would cut through an Abrams like butter IRL, but in 40k, the presence of ceramite, durasteel, adamantium, and other bullshit materials prevents that from happening. They'll always be effective, just not IRL effective because countermeasures exist.

Are we still doing this shit?

Maybe they are particle weapons? Star Wars lasers are particle weapons that use an internal laser to heat gas, generating the energy necessary to fire the weapon.

I always assumed the recoil was less from the laser itself and more from various mechanical components suddenly activating then deactivating, like active cooling engaging or batteries being physically connected/disconnected for some reason. Not the best reason, but I feel like it makes more sense than "people don't know how to shoot a gun if it doesn't recoil"

There's something particularly pathetic about someone copying a shit meme, and somehow making it even shittier.

Yeah, but lasers deal damage not by bashing the target with high-velocity photons. The actual total momentum of a lasgun's photons might be just a cat pat's worth.
If, however, a lasgun throws enough photons to justify a recoil of a similar value to current firearms, then it should do much more damage than it's currently portrayed. Instead of needing several shots to kill a human, that much photon for a proper recoil would disintegrate a guy with just 1 shot. Not to mention if you have just a slight fault with the dispersal mechanism you'd blind everyone in the battlefield that happens to look at the lasgun in question while it shoots.

Glorious human technology, don't worry about what it is too hard, for that's not your problem.

Momentum is dependent on mass which photons don't have.

>using classical Newtonian mechanics for photons
Come on, son
E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2

I fucking hate /k/.

FPBP

fpbp