/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: →
>Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/the-dog-days-of-august-sorta-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
What are some NPCs or Groups of NPCs that you put into your games that your players responded well to?
>5th editons cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

Other urls found in this thread:

theonyxpath.com/dark-eras-poll/
youtube.com/watch?v=3cShYbLkhBc
reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/6fua9m/exalted_a_history_of_exposure_3rd_edition_the/
storytellersvault.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=hMc8naeeSS8&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF&index=6
youtube.com/watch?v=oOg5VxrRTi0&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF&index=14
youtube.com/watch?v=Wjlj0TZ8wb8&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF&index=7
youtube.com/watch?v=ClQcUyhoxTg&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF&index=3
youtube.com/watch?v=IuwxZSIS__4&index=16&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF
youtube.com/watch?v=OZuW6BH_Vak&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF&index=4
youtube.com/watch?v=2X_2IdybTV0&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF&index=2
youtube.com/watch?v=OBwS66EBUcY&index=8&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF
youtube.com/watch?v=qeMFqkcPYcg&index=9&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF
youtube.com/watch?v=BJ7NVjZ-Eyg&index=12&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF
youtube.com/watch?v=O52jAYa4Pm8&index=17&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF
youtube.com/watch?v=uPudE8nDog0&index=15&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF
youtube.com/watch?v=K1b8AhIsSYQ&index=13&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF
youtube.com/watch?v=R-O3kYrDPbI&index=10&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF
youtube.com/watch?v=3cShYbLkhBc&index=1&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF
youtube.com/watch?v=vBecM3CQVD8&index=18&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF
youtube.com/watch?v=3Oe7Q8OCm5I
youtube.com/watch?v=L53gjP-TtGE
youtube.com/watch?v=_eBGipALCc8
youtube.com/watch?v=nUX3dXdJCAg&list=RD_eBGipALCc8
youtube.com/watch?v=DRebiHdtoBg
youtube.com/watch?v=e_TIOfUEudo
youtube.com/watch?v=v1wt5_lO6rA
youtube.com/watch?v=PL6jwxw9T3c
youtube.com/watch?v=BCLsqg05boo
weebls-stuff.com/toons/magical-trevor-episode-01-animated-music-video-mrweebl/
youtube.com/watch?v=582HLGSQBc4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Golden Age of Science fiction better be Deviant and Promethean. I'm ready for some reanimator and crude science shit.

>54710921
Reposting my OP response from the.. other.. thread.
>What are some NPCs or Groups of NPCs that you put into your games that your players responded well to?
We had great success when our GM tossed in a group of hunters. But not Hunters, capital letter, just 'hunters'. We were the capital letter ones.

The other guys had seen a bit too much, but were basically mortals. Like, good old boys with a pick up truck, spot lights, rifles and all the liquor they could afford. The fuckers kept beating us to clues and scenes we were investigating, shooting things and setting it on fire, then blasting off into the distance with polka remixes of katy perry songs blaring (This being what the GM would put on over the stereo when it was one of 'their' scenes).

They died terribly when they beat us to a scene and found not the 'great tootin' boar' they were expecting, but a shapeshifter busy eating a derelict. We took all the credit for killing it with our associates, framed them for the murders with the standard authorities and stole all the stuff out of their houses.

>.36 caliber

or Changeling and Beast

Fuck that shit, I'm with

New stretch goal reached, we've got the SF era!

Oh thank god. Golden Era, MKUltra, spider monsters from mars. Here we go, boys.

are the three eras (one that can be added, two that can be resurrected) now standalone? I don't think that they can create a companion with three eras alone

I hope against hope there'd be a page on playing IN golden age science fiction. I'd add a good 100$ to my pledge to play rocketship vampires and hunt for werewolves through the jungles of Venus.

I'm sure I've seen an attribute dot example list for when things go above 5 dots - for strength (and what you can lift), for speed with dexterity, and breath holding for stamina. Does anyone have page numbers and a book?

Beast is better off buried and forgotten

Why is it fair that mages get easy access to aggravated damage by midgame? While other splats have to be near endgame assuming they get access to aggravated at all

I've not read the line, but don't werewolves get aggravated early?

Amen. That SJW garbage and the MacFarland name need to be blotted out from RPG history like the British-Norwegian War of 1955.

I mean by technicality I think Demon would probably be the third most fitting Era for Golden Age of Sci-Fi after Deviant and Promethean, but I'm not quite sure what to picture from Changeling & Beast for primarily sci-fi themes.

Not sure. One of the backers that is reviving an era is going with Mississippi Steam boat era as his primary choice and Jazz Era as his secondary though.

It's McFarland. Get it right please. I hate when people misspell names, even when they are properly vilifying SJW bigots.

No savage rending isn't in 2e. The reason why is be cause if you have access to aggravated damage what is the point in learning a spirit's bane? It's a balance and thematic decision

Why couldn't we keep this in the other thread you were all shitting up?

Oh look, someone is whingeing about someone else's posts. Fucking prime, mate. Be proud of yourself.

Shit one hour to go and they just put in a new poll with Wild West as an option!

theonyxpath.com/dark-eras-poll/

>An interesting mystery
>A widely requested era
>A literally what
Guess which one is currently winning the poll.

Another Egypt and now this. What is it with backers always picking the most overdone or obscure eras?

Hell Yeah! Vampire cowboys

I imagine Geist would probably be one of the eras for Wild West since it was in Dark Eras 1 even though it lost that poll. Would be cool to see it mixed with Vampire, Werewolf or Demon.

With Vampire we could have Vampire Cowboys and Ghost Bandits.

Werewolf would probably get into Native American culture and totems. Could get into Mementos and Fetishes with the two splats.

Demon could bring something West World-esque to the table.

Be honest, do you think that OPP won't turn the Wild West setting into a 30 page rant about racism and strong womyn homesteaders? I'm not taking that burn.

Man it must suck to be as bitter and jaded as you

He's right, though. After Mage 20, I'm not really holding out any hope. I'm willing to bet good money we'll see black sheriffs and stronk womyn gunslingers everywhere.

The Voynich Manuscript is a common weird mystery and it's winning the poll.

Is it? That's good. Maurya was winning like 30 minutes ago.

Given that it won't be added to the book unless we gather 300 more dollars in the next 8 minutes, I don't think it matters much.

Which WoD books have the best artwork? Name 2 or 3 from each splat if you can.

Vampire: Just like a wine drunk. No sense of variety and you lose your shit at every party.

Werewolf: You watch boundaries. I violate them. Let’s be friends.

Mage: Met one once. His dreams smelled of old knowledge, ancient and true. So I ate him.

Promethean: I get being on the outside. Thing is, I like it here.

Changeling: You’re worried about being taken? I could watch you. Just to make sure.

Sin-Eater: You’re never quite alone now, are you? Doesn’t that get stifling?

Mummy: Of course I can kill it.

Demon: I like my prey to be multiple choice!

This is just a small example of how shit beast was before the rewrite

Why the fuck are you playing World of Darkness if the latter is a problem for you? Do you know how these games are?

Still say Mr Roboto is the perfect song for demons
youtube.com/watch?v=3cShYbLkhBc

You do realize that bad ass heroines have been a staple of horror/sci fi/fantasy forever, right?

>ate a mage

This sounds like bullshit.

That the idea that a character from a certain splat could be killed is by itself bullshit is a testament to how much they should get their own, separate game and stop pretending they fit with the horrorshow.

Bloodlines: The Hidden is pretty good.

Maybe it was an Archmaster using the Beast eating his projected form as a form of Quintessence gathering.

Alternatively:
"You can't just use Space to get through the entire digestive tract undamaged! You need Life too, bro!"
"Watch me."

How would vampire cowboys work? Having a gun duel at high moon?

Wouldn't that be more of a werewolf thing?

This has to be bait.

Oh boy, I can't wait to hear about how problematic the sexist overtones in the Barsoom saga were and how they're fixing it by making Not-John Carter a gay transgendered autistic gerbilkin

If it's any comfort to you, Ian just clarified you wouldn't actually be playing IN science fiction, you'd be playing in the era in which it was written. So no actual John Carter, but presumably you could meet with Edgar Rice Burroughs in Chicago and talk about his writing or something.

Oh god yes. Blood soaked desperados roaming on ghouled horses, itinerant nocturnal preachers screaming dark verses at the other shadows in the night and testing lone homesteads for piety. Witchdoctors feared by indian and american alike, drenched in gore and working inhuman rites. New world nobility, rail barons and industrial captains laying track and taint through the new world. Natural Philosophers, never seen by day, maintaining that creepy old laboratory on the edge of town that never seems to be quite there the same as the rest of the settlement.

Anyone hazard a guess when Dark Eras comes out?

Then what the fuck is even the point of that era?
>Yeah it's an Old West era, but you won't be doing any western shit, you'll be an accountant in England or something

Never swedish dracula is going to close down OPP next year and use the resources to open a line of WoD themed estrogen hormone pills

You weren't fucking with me (which is kind of what I expected), this book has some great artwork. How come they don't hire the guy more often? Charge too much? Or only gotten him recently in their employ?

I dunno. Ask the developers.

Way, way, way, waaaaaay late. Like, if it comes out at all, that'd be a pleasant surprise. Never count on OPP actually releasing the shit they kickstart. I think people are still waiting on some stuff they backed back in like 2013.

2-3 years from now.

Aight, for my World of Darkness webcomic I've settled on making the protagonists name Hector (based on Hector from the Iliad) and he will be a pirate from Greece/Mediterranean. I'm trying to settle if I will make him Lasombra or Angellis Ater and giving him DMC Devil Trigger as a power.

I'm still trying to master figure drawing but here's a little incomplete sketch I made

>Golden Age of Science fiction
Task Force VALKYRIE Ray guns please

reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/6fua9m/exalted_a_history_of_exposure_3rd_edition_the/

Remember Kids never work off contract and verbal agreements don't mean jack shit

>Hazarding a guess.
You're playing monsters that are the impression for the golden age literature

In 1e Awakening, since a non Archmage could seek a final attainment, what happened if they failed the challenge? Death? Or erasure, ala failed Archmages?

Because Vampires, Werewolves, Mages and Geists and Demon Robots are cool as shit even if the identity politics, self indulgence, and bad virtue signalling are tedious as shit to filter out.

This user gets it.

You can apparently seek it even in 2E, Dave mentioned it in one of the development blogs' discussion. As to what it entails beyond "confronting a guardian of the Legacy" (who may not necessarily even be a guardian in the typical sense of the word, but more symbolic), I think nobody has any idea. It would be nice to know the details, especially the level and type of abilities the Attainment grants, given that apparently not everyone with the Attainment actually Ascends and so there would be Master Mages with Gnosis 8+ in CofD with presumably ludicruously powerful Attainments. Dave did say that the only thing you need mechanically to achieve it is Mastery of an Arcanum and a Fifth Attainment in a Legacy (no additional higher level of Gnosis and such) + going on a mystery Quest. This may actually be the simple answer to your question: The mage simply doesn't Ascend, if he fails the Quest, and keeps the Attainment (perhaps to try later).

On another note: Dave, if you are here, would you be willing to part with some information from Geist 2E about the rules for playable Ghosts?

According to IM the attainment itself didn't cause Ascension. Just made it possible. So maybe it counts as a form of omen. Or provides the key. So you recreate Gouki v Gouken with the Dragon Manifest and then you have some seperate way to complete your road.

sadly, it's not.

Forget it user, it's Beast.

>Implying a piece of shit beast can fuck with a super quantum computer android that can exploit the laws of physics.
Fuck beasts

God only knows. Probably charges too much. Honestly, the Bohagande/Khaibit are probably my favourite, but whoever drew them had actually read the 'suggested concepts' portion at the very least. And knew something about the game.

And now you know I'm not deliberately fucking with you: Scion is probably the best, but the early books are better. Mummy and Book of Spirits have some nice, but very stylised, artwork. Inferno is about 50/50. The Vampire clanbooks, check the suggested characters - they're usually good pieces of art.

Ancient Bloodlines.

Also, great stuff to be found here. Keep 'em coming.

Idea for a mortal level antagonist: a college professor who is a Maniac Slasher. He loves his students dearly and wants to see them succeed academically and emotionally no matter what...even if he has to sabotage students from rival colleges and generate intrigue to "weed out the gifted from the mediocre". Virtue is Protective, Vice is Egotistical. His profession probably involves engineering, which he uses to build traps that seem like accidents and other people's fault. Dread Powers include Hypnotic Gaze, Madness And Terror, Know Soul, Surprise Entrance and Influence (Discipline 3).

Seems with the powers he wouldn't need the traps. Maybe change his profession to something more theoretical for flavour, and to let him actually get close to their students?

I've met engineers. Most of them sort of remember Uni as a haze of suffering.

You've got a point. I chose engineering because it is common for Maniac Slashers to kill victims through underhanded and complicated ways. What other profession could he have? Is the idea itself good?

>I've not read the line, but don't werewolves get aggravated early?
its a natural ability they get it at creation

So... storytellersvault.com/

Too bad this is WW and not OP. I would love to create content for OP games, but I'm not up to par to actually get hired by them.

Oh, yeah, I really like it. I'm not sure as to profession. Maybe a class in the humanities - something that lets him really connect with his students.

I mean, if the kid was fresh from signing his watchtower, it wouldn't be that big of a surprise.

>want to get paid for words they didn't use
fuck of amy

I'm thinking either philosophy or psychology. Instead of traps, he could use his naturall charisma and cunning + Dread Powers to gaslight and brainwash people into killing themselves and each other.

Although we don't have much information about most of them, who are your favorite Aeons and why?

what?

We had? I thought we just had Mordred and Zahak.

Mordred, Dahhak and other Aeons from MtA.

So, do you guys use ambient music in your setting? I'm trying to create a playlist of songs for a crossover chronicle, for use on stuff like the radio and such, and trying to secretly seeds songs into it that relate to the group.
So far I got
Werewolf
youtube.com/watch?v=hMc8naeeSS8&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF&index=6
youtube.com/watch?v=oOg5VxrRTi0&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF&index=14
Geist
youtube.com/watch?v=Wjlj0TZ8wb8&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF&index=7
youtube.com/watch?v=ClQcUyhoxTg&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF&index=3
Promethean
youtube.com/watch?v=IuwxZSIS__4&index=16&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF
youtube.com/watch?v=OZuW6BH_Vak&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF&index=4
youtube.com/watch?v=2X_2IdybTV0&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF&index=2
Beast
youtube.com/watch?v=OBwS66EBUcY&index=8&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF
Changelings
youtube.com/watch?v=qeMFqkcPYcg&index=9&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF
youtube.com/watch?v=BJ7NVjZ-Eyg&index=12&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF
Hunter
youtube.com/watch?v=O52jAYa4Pm8&index=17&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF
Vampire
youtube.com/watch?v=uPudE8nDog0&index=15&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF
youtube.com/watch?v=K1b8AhIsSYQ&index=13&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF
youtube.com/watch?v=R-O3kYrDPbI&index=10&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF
Demon
youtube.com/watch?v=3cShYbLkhBc&index=1&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF
youtube.com/watch?v=vBecM3CQVD8&index=18&list=PLTDYoQExHasevErtC7x61SDPa7hZytxpF
Any suggestions?

You can always expand on them in your game, it was more of a question about the individual games than canon setting.

Mandatory (Obrimos) Mage songs:
youtube.com/watch?v=3Oe7Q8OCm5I
youtube.com/watch?v=L53gjP-TtGE

Holy shit, the first one was awesome.

Kanye? Fuck off

Hecq is great for ambience in 'strange places'. I like it for Astral/Dream areas.
youtube.com/watch?v=_eBGipALCc8
youtube.com/watch?v=nUX3dXdJCAg&list=RD_eBGipALCc8

Try Tzolk'in for anything vaguely tribal or threatening.
youtube.com/watch?v=DRebiHdtoBg

If you want to turn things slightly ridiculous,
youtube.com/watch?v=e_TIOfUEudo

In that case, I often thought of the Aeon of Matter as the supreme craftsman. He is the one you're really thinking of when you imagine gods like Hephaestus, Regin and Lugh. His role is to balance change and stasis within the inventions of mankind. I imagine him as a grease stained cyborg working the years away in a massive factory inside a clockwork, flying island. A bit of a grouch a natural perfectionist, but very knowledgeable and willing to teach those who work hard.

They're detailed, just not thoroughly.
The Old Man. Partially because: Voormas! Partially because he honestly seems like he'd be an alright person to sit down with. I imagine there's a community of a few dreamwalkers who just sit around the fire all day and never enter the hut.

>Kanye? Fuck off
I fully understand, but even Dave acknowledged that it fits the theme.

>I imagine there's a community of a few dreamwalkers who just sit around the fire all day and never enter the hut.
Ouch! They probably won't stay sane for long anyway.

Eh. Call it a few 'lifers' who don't go crazy, while anyone new gets watched very carefully for a month or two to see if they go insane or not.

Mage:
youtube.com/watch?v=v1wt5_lO6rA
youtube.com/watch?v=PL6jwxw9T3c

Pretty much the Hieromagus and Obrimos Path (many of the lyrics, duality of saidin and saidar and the image is basically the Watchtower of the Golden Key):
youtube.com/watch?v=BCLsqg05boo

Dragon Reborn indeed.

weebls-stuff.com/toons/magical-trevor-episode-01-animated-music-video-mrweebl/

Oh, and Vampire:
youtube.com/watch?v=582HLGSQBc4

Settle this argument on kinetic shielding please

Don't do it Dave, its much funnier that way.

Dave is there an Emanation Realm that's just full of beans this is vital to my campaign

What hasn't been settled?

So are there like a potentially infinite number of emanation realms? Just like there are a potentially infinite number of Supernal "realms"?