High elves empire on Atlantis like continent like in Warhammer or Tolkien

High elves empire on Atlantis like continent like in Warhammer or Tolkien.

High elves empire in another world connected with portals like in Witcher or Pathfinder.

No high elf empire at all.

Which one do you like the most Veeky Forums?

No elves. Shit's boring.

I once had the high elf empire be a network of magitek cities floating high in the sky.

What would you do instead that's more interesting than including elves?

As in, please offer genuine ideas rather than snide remarks like "literally anything" or "something original."

High elves long extinct. Their cities are deep in the forests and jealousy guarded by wood elves.

Alternately, high elves live on the fucking moon. When one of their children get lost on earth it becomes a huge tragedy because it ends up getting adopted by humans, and falling in love before it's real parents come to take it away.

Either is fine.

I went the Eldar route where the High Elves were nearly extinct due to their own hubris

High Elf Empire in orbit upon a continent-sized fragment of their homeworld, lost centuries ago to an apocalyptic cataclysm. They seek to conquer this world, but mystic wards shield the surface from the worst of their armies. Only on the full moon may they gate down to the world below and wreak havoc as Wild Hunts.

You just wanted to post that pic, didn't you?

This, if High elves are from Atlantis, their continent better be sunken. Literal aliens or lost civilization is the best combination. If they are a regular civilization just like everyone else it just gets embarrassing when they sort of just avoid answering why they haven't conquered everyone else if they are so superior, or haven't been conquered by everyone else if they are so decadent. Really hard balancing act, that can be easily side-stepped by making them either extinct, or as far away as possible.

Personally I'd diss off elves entirely, but ESPECIALLY high elves. In my setting the "magical race" part should be instead taken by a amphibian race (not really mermaid like, at least in the vast majority) who have a renassaince-like magical-religious view of the world and kewl mind powers.

What (hopefully) sets them apart from high elves is that acutally they're relaitvely practical people: merchants, sailors, actually "normal" people in a way, not stargazing hippies. Yes, even the wizards/sorcerers are less haughty than you might think, oddly enought for the reasons that their culture of magical shit isn't that different from what a simple farmer might (in part) grasp, it's not some unintelligible arcane vagueness.
Still, their view of life and their powers make for some pretty weird experience for other guys encountering them.

>I have "high men" and "close to nature" folk in the works too

All elves in concentration camps.

I always wanted to make elves LITERAL space people (that mostly forgot their gizmos and can't go back, all the usual shit), but never got to.

Hell, at least they might be more sympathetic than usual ancient astronauts, who in fiction appear to have been at most decadent bored egyptian kings with not even a space playstation to kill time.

>funny thing is, JRRT's Noldor kinda ARE space elves already

I prefer nomadic plane warping culture that leave when a realm become too dangerous.

Also, I want to fuck that character design.

>High Elves
>Stargazing hippies
You really don't know much about Warhammer's High Elves, do you? Think the British Empire, if it didn't just give up its leading place in the world and instead went down swinging, raging about how the savages and lesser nations should know their place before the legacy and power of the empire. They're highly cosmopolitan, with traces of Qing dynasty China in their politics and courts. They see themselves as the final bulwark against darkness, evil and chaos and take great pride in their ability to fight back such monsters and their minions.

They aren't hippies. They have faults, sure, arrogance not least among them, but for all the whining they do about their star finally setting, they sure as hell aren't above reminding the johnny-come-lately humans exactly why they were such a big deal back in the day, with some of the finest sailors, soldiers, craftsmen, scholars and mages in the world.

The second, but have High Elves be an unplayable race of Fae assholes, while players are stuck with half-elves with watered down abilities

>not stargazing hippies

Where the hell are high elves stargazing hippies? This is how Witcher high elves look like. Warhammer high elves are also hardcore as fuck.

I don't play WHFRP. And honestly from your description I don't mind not playing it, at least regarding the elves.

>high elves is a tolkien concept

I like the settings where high elves are the predominate rulers of the world.

Immortal, masters of everything, and extremely intelligent, there is little they can't or haven't accomplished.

The other races are tolerated to exist so long as they comply with High elven laws.

High elves aren't an unified empire or anything, they're barely even a race and just describes elves who live in cities instead of staying isolated in deep forests.

Humans make better Atlantean civilizations than elves.
They're also frequently better with magic and display greater peaks of hubris.

Both being prime clichés of mythological archaic societies more advanced than our own.

Elfs so high they constructed a vast bong and now live on a cloud city above it.

Goblins as filthy yellow eyed construct race who work inside the Sky Bong, living off of whatever floats/falls into the upper surface of the bong water.

Basically Battle Angel Alita but with elves and goblins. instead of cyborgs and normies.

>that file name

Uh, Admiral...

gunna do it, gotta ask

source?

this

A combination of 1 and 2.

True Elves are extraterrestrials from another solar system that use magic to create portals to an Atlantis like continent to colonize the New World.

They then used magic to splice their own DNA into the indigenous populations so that they can have a sustainable population live here long term. Since the True Elves aren't compatible with the genetics/biology of the New World. For instance, they can survive perfectly fine eating certain plants or animals that would would be absolutely toxic to most life forms in the New World, like mushrooms. Because fungi is much more common on their world. But they have a severe allergic reaction to iron or steel, due to that metal being incredibly rare on their world, thus they have a weakness to it due to being unfamiliar with it on a biological level.

These artificially genetically engineered hybrids are what is referred to as High Elves.

Sylvan or Wood Elves are the result of a High Elf or True Elf impregnating a human woman. It is impossible for a human or High Elf to impregnate a True Elf. But a human male can impregnate a High Elf.

These naturally occurring Sylvan or Wood Elf hybrids are almost always deformed halfwit abominations. At least half of them die immediately upon birth. The other half are a genetic lottery. Some of them are barely four feet tall, some have insect wings coming out of their backs, some are indistinguishable from humans, some are indistinguishable from True or High Elves. This is most likely the reason why their are so many Fairy Tale creatures in human folklore and myth. Although these hybrids are rare, one thing they all have in common is that if they do survive their birth their natural lifespan is anywhere from 200 to 300 years old. So over time a solid population has built up, despite the fact that all naturally occurring hybrids are genetically sterile.

High Elf Empire is a genocidal fanatical religious juggernaut lashing out and destroying neighboring kingdoms of men and dwarves. The undead lich king necromancer that was the normal unifying enemy to all the "good" races decided not to start shit this time around. Instead he's turtled up and is trying to get the orcs, goblins, gnolls, and other baddies to actually develop civilization.

Without a greater evil to focus on the High Elves have instead become annoyed by the lower races.

For the first time ever, the lich has to deal with "good" refugees and has no fucking clue what to do.

>like in Warhammer or Tolkien.
Dude.

You mean like Tolkien. And it's not an "Atlantis like." It's an "Avalon like"

And it's an island--not a continent.

And it's definitely how elves should be.

>And it's definitely how elves should be.

Don't you fucking dare

Another elf thread.

Is this backlash from all the 'humans are better' threads?

>powerful empire of elves

This is why current fantasy sucks ass

Just look at the Elder Scrolls

I like Arthurian Romance, and the classics. Everyone tries to offer so many "let me change this aspect and now it's new!" that playing these things straight is fresher.

Elves are just humans with a mutation for pointy ears. However, this mutation is highly sought after, and so the noble class often marries or copulates with those who have the mutation. As a result, the "Elves" have a reputation for beauty and longevity, but only because the nobles (who are better fed and looking than the peasant population) are the ones who keep birthing new people with the mutation.

In fact, I like your idea so much, I'll try to take it a step further,

>High elves are mutated humans that have obtained a natural noble class status as a result of phenotype selection.
>Half elves are literally just synonymous with bastards of nobility, and form an entitled upper-lower/lower-middle, class of society. They have shorter ears(usually) due to lack of improper breeding between noble "high elves" and ordinary prole humans, but take pride in their heritage without the benefits of legitimate birthright, instead using it as a small status and sex symbol. They are sought after as husbands and wives for the additional chances of giving birth to longer eared elves.
>Wood elves are a subspecies of human who fled to the wild when the mutation first started appearing and people attacked them for fear of demons. They bred with one another in the forests as the only available mates that would have them. They have been at it so long they have adapted to the forest environment. Their ears became flatter to their heads for improved functionality and less chance of getting caught on foliage or predator claws. Their subspecies is close enough to humans that they can still produce offspring, but because the ears don't peacock out like half elves and high elves the height difference is hard for a human, half elf, or high elf to notice. Only wood elves can tell half breeds apart.

This shit is going in my next campaign, thanks.

who is this semen demon?

>No high elf empire at all.
They had a powerful kingdom, but it was assimilated by the growing human empire. After a couple years of war, both sides realized that the humans would eventually win but everyone would be too depleted once this happened. So the elves proposed becoming part of it but remaining almost as before in terms of political organization and lands. Today they are the richest, biggest and most powerful duchy.

Some elf from No Game No Life, though I don't remember this particular scene/elf.

There was an OVA that was supposed to come out, maybe it already did and it's from that.

Numenor was Atlantis, stupid.

double source?
googs gives me 'no game no life' but all I see for that on gelbooru is Not This Specific Elf and I'm hella not interested in any of the other shit in that tag.

Third option, because there shouldn't even be elf empires, or any fucking "high elves" at all unless you're outright aping Tolkien.

No problem user.

Now, as for the dwarves...

>High elves empire in another world connected with portals like in Witcher or Pathfinder.

That one.

>What (hopefully) sets them apart from high elves is that acutally they're relaitvely practical people: merchants, sailors, actually "normal" people in a way, not stargazing hippies
The thing about Tolkien elves is that they don't need to be practical. The need to be practical and down-to-earth is, in a way, a result of Melkor's corruption of Arda. The natural state of reality is poetic, beautiful, harmonious and larger-than-life. Them being "hippies" is entirely on purpose.

well, in my current campaign, elves have had multiple empires..

They just kept getting toppled like everyone else's empire in a huge, clusterfuck war.

In the current period, native high elves of the new world technically run an Empire by virtue of possessing the most permanent land of any one race, including their fellow tribals.

However, that's still basically only three cities which are remodeled from dragon ruins.

Movie user.

I don't like elves.
If I use them it's they are more akind to demi-gods, more like Noldor than any pasty (or worse brown) elve in other media.
Instead I use not-Numenoreas or not-Romans for anything the elves would be.

High Elves are a inner city ethnic and a suburb regular elvish being with economic issues type of Elve.

>Remnants of a huge space empire now living on a dyson sphere, screeching autistically at those who approach them.

I liked them how they were in Styx.

If you don't manage to sneak up on them in spite of their mad 6th sense skills they'll skewer you in an instant.

That's my kind of superior race.

yeah but what's interesting about that pic is that if you reverse it and based elves on Veeky Forums you end up with a load of tree autist hoarders whose tree houses occasionally collapse under the weight of all the weird little artistic and engineering projects they started, got halfway through and then never touched again.

"mommy, daddy, why did the high elf civilisation collapse?" "mostly it was the weight of the past, but REALLY it was the limitations of the tensile strength of wood"

There is nothing interesting about this pic, certainly not the fact that he spams it in every second thread. Stop giving him (You)'s. Additionally: stop giving ourself (You)'s

wait, are you implying we, both you, me, and him, are samefagging?

This is from the trailer for the NGNL moving coming out?

In the setting i'm in the High elves live on a different continent are fairly advanced but their progress slowed down due to a percieved peace and lack of threats which made sense given their position in the world. Theyre still kicking though having some colonies on the central continent the players kindom is on.
Back in the old days they were apart of the Elven Dominate which had been formed by the High Dark and Sea elves. It fell apart during the storm when the depravity of the dark elves became too much that the high elves sperged on them and the sea elves decided to bail for their own colonies.

I like the Atlantis like island continent. Atlantis being an allegory for hubris, and also the idea of them being set apart, separate, their island being really mysterious.

Elves, dwarves, huldra, trolls, faeries and goblins are all the same mixed up grouping of demigods who live in another realm shared by the souls of the dead.