1d4chan.org/wiki/Sir_Bearington
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump

Not how it works. Faggot.

>max out luck stat
>increase all stats

>still fail rolls

>max out diplomacy stat.
>you can now convince nature to do your bidding.

>max out escape artist
>can now use gaseous form at will

>max out heal stat
>can now raise the dead

>max out perception
>can see the future

>max out survival
>now invincible

>Max out swim
>Can now swim really well

>max out swim
>now can swim in the air and through the ground

>max sleight of hand skill
>can now make people's clothes disappear

>max out disable device
>now works on living things

>max out fly
>you can fly despite not having any means to do so

>max climbing

>max out stealth
>can render yourself invisible,inaudible,and intangible at will

>max stealth
>stop existing

Someone makes their character literally him but fitting whatever setting the campaign is in. How do you deal with that without it being ridiculously OP?

>le max bluff = mind control meme
That's not what bluff is. A successful bluff doesn't make someone think whatever you want, it just convinces them that you believe what you're saying.

Practical example:

>I tell the guards that the sky is orange
>(success)
>They tell you to get your eyes checked, but not in a sarcastic way because they're legitimately concerned for your health

>I tell the guards to let me in because I'm a dragon in human form
>(success)
>The guards smile and nod at the crazy hobo, and instruct him to move along

That's lame.

underrated

>max out use rope
>you can make impressive balloon animals out of rope.

That one in particular would depend heavily on the setting and situation. It's a thing that actually happens in a number of fantasy settings, so bluffing your way in as a friendly dragon seems feasible. Mind you, just saying "i'm a dragon, let me in" is as probably more likely to just get you arrested if they do believe you.

>max out expertise:engineering
>you can create your own universe from scratch

I... yeah, I'm glad 3rd ed is behind us now.

I fail to see why is it a bad thing for a mundane skill to be able to transcend into the realm of supernatural simply by virtue of training hard enough, especially in a fantasy setting.

Look at Doomguy. The guy shot demons so hard he became a supernatural being that rips and tears.
Look at Sasaki Koujirou. The guy sworded so hard he managed to warp space and time.
Look at Pygmallion. The guy sculpted so hard he managed to sculpt a living being.
Look at Black Jack or Fran Madaraki who practiced medicine so hard they became literal flesh sculpters capable of reviving the dead and shaping people as the see fit.
Look at the entirety of wuxia genre, for fuck's sake.

Especially since OP specifically says "max out bluff stat" - not "be reasonably good at bluffing" and not "reach mortal limits of bluffing". It literally says "max out bluff stat", i.e. break through the limits of mundane and transcend the nature of the skill into the supernatural, effectively, yes, allowing mind control.

>inb4 but we are talking about DnD!
There is no such thing as "max out" in DnD. And while we are at the topic, I'm pretty sure that having supernatural skills is perfectly fine in a high-magic setting, with such things as Wish, Time Stop etc. existing.

>max out forgery
>the reality is convinced and rearranges to make what you wrote a fact

Y'know, if the system has rules that take some of this shit into account I'd be super down with it happening in a game. I've done lesser shit with characters in 40k games, never anything incredibly complex but a fun perk for the players.

>max out bluff stat
>become le funny bear from the Veeky Forums story xd

>max out pro life stat
>die anyway

Odas art really got bad.

>max out sense motive stat
>truly understand humanity
>kill self

Deep dude

Never irrelevant

Bump

Explain.

We really need more like this.
Playing like this would be funny for a while.

I hate that people don't understand criticals

This is just like reddit all over again

>roll a 20
YOU BECOME GOD. YOU FUCKS GOD'S BITCH. ALL THE MONSTERS BOW TO YOU

>roll a 1
You punch yourself in the face and knock yourself out you stupid fuck.
"I..I was just bartering with the shopkeeper"
YOU FUCKING THROW HIM ALL YOUR GOLD FOR THE ROPE, THEN PUNCH YOURSELF IN THE FACE

I want to see more posts like this, it was funny.

>max out breathing
>you no longer require air to do it

>Look at Sasaki Koujirou
The guy who is literally only known for being killed by Miyamoto Musashi?

People wouldn't make these examples if GMs didn't occasionally do it

>max repair
>no one ever needs to come back for further maintenance so your repair shop goes under

Not him, but have you really never heard the story? 1d4chan.org/wiki/Sir_Bearington

>max guns
>you always make killshots even when aiming to miss because of lucky ricochets

>max out trading skills
>foreskin falls off

>max unarmed combat
>you can now communicate your feelings to people through your fists

>max out detect evil
>called a conspiracy theorist

>Max Rage feature
>Mad Max

>max out disable device
>now works on plot

>Max Craft: Weapons
>People laught at me once we pass 3rd level

I was in a ffg star wars game once where someone maxed out his deception stat and managed to convince a commander of a major ship that each of us out-ranked him by several steps. Basically how he painted it was that if you had a problem with us you needed to take it up with Vader. That was probably one of the most fun sessions I played.

>

Explain it to me then

I am new to this board.

Did you believe him?

>max pickpocket
>skin complexion shifts towards much darker shade

It's making fun of it you dumb fuck, god damn I hate summer.

>max out strength
>still only 5' 8"

>roll a 1 for reddit check
LE SUMMER , FUGGIN NEWFAGGOTS AMIRITE

>max out handle animal
> can now train animals to train other animals

> max out UMD
> Everyone thinks you're a wizard

> Max out Jump
> Everyone thinks you can fly

> Max out Survival
> "You can run, but you'll only die tired"

> Max out Bluff
> "I am the Moon"

What if you Max out fly?

>max out fly
>go into space
>never can return to ground

>(success)
>guards let me in
>as soon as I walk past and have my back to them the guards all turn on me and decapitate me

>Max out Dungeoneering
>Basement becomes inescapable

Problem isn't a mundane skill never being able to transcend

It's the fact that in every system I've seen, the rules prevent that. Most even say "no, you can't mind-control an NPC by being good at lying or diplomacy)

Heh

>A successful bluff doesn't make someone think whatever you want, it just convinces them that you believe what you're saying.
My old Pathfinder DM did that and it was fucking gay. You could come up with the absolute best bluff, both well-rolled and making sense RPwise, and he would refuse to let any precious NPC get tricked by a player.

It's been in circulation around reddit and the like for a while, and is kinda reviled by GMs who have to deal with new players asking if they can RP Sir Bearington or something similar

There's a game called Legend that let's you actually do some of the stuff being thrown out there.

Here are some actual examples of DCs from the game:
A DC 35 Athletics check let's you swing from snowflakes in a blizzard, stride up a sandstorm, or swim on the leading edge of a tsunami.
A DC 35 Larceny check lets you turn off selective parts of a complex construct's mind.
A DC 35 on check to track someone lets you scry them off any reflective surface or pool of water they've crossed in the last day.
A DC 35 Medicine check lets you bring someone back from the dead after they've been dead even as much as weeks.

Before anyone gets too excited, the game's dead as a doornail. You can still get it for free and it's still very much playable, but it lacks a bestiary/monster manual.

That sounds ridiculous.

Insofar as DnD, what do you guys think is the best way to handle Critical Successes and Critical Failures? In 5e in combat a Critical Success is just roll an extra damage die, so going by that metric, Critical Successes in other tasks only roughly increase their potency by 50% aggregate. In that context to me, Critical Success does not mean automatic success, it just means you do roughly 50% better than usual. So a character trying a DC 25 check with a +3 would only have a 23, but because it's a CS I give them an extra +3, but if it was a DC 30 check I'd still have them fail it, just without any negative repercussions that would normally come with failing such an Olympian task. Perhaps even give them a +5 to future attempts depending on the exact circumstances, or maybe some experience for failing, but gleaming exactly why they failed or how to do it better next time. A CS can still be a reward without being an "I Win" button.
On the other hand Critical Failures is just that you messed up somewhere, not necessarily that you killed yourself with a stick to the eyeball while trying to start a fire. Usually if someone Critical Fails in combat, unless they're doing something particularly outlandish I just have them fumble their weapon, or maybe take an Attack of Opportunity, but never "you miss so hard you accidentally decapitate yourself" tripe.

And then of course I add flavor text to make it more fitting. A level 1 character would be expected to drop their sword due to nerves and/or inexperience, but a battle hardened level 15 character dropping his weapon is a bit less believable. So instead I say something like "Your attack was reckless, make a strength check to hold onto your weapon" and then give them a -5 mod to it or what have you, and if they fail they get disarmed and their weapon goes flying a few feet to the side, maybe have them take a bit of chip damage as well, just to add weight to the failure.

He's talking about this one.
It's not actually Sasaki Kojirou, he just doesn't really care and is willing to play the role. Sasaki Kojirou never existed but was said to be able to make three swings at once,
and there was a nameless man who trained hard enough to be able to do so. So when the world needs "Sasaki Kojirou - The man who can perform Tsubame Gaeshi" he's summoned and forced to play the role of the infamous man, never having any deeds attributed to himself

I know you were talking about the fate version

>3 swings at once
Not true what Tsubame Gaeshi does is an upward slash at the end from below when the enemy was trying to defend from attacks from above, meaning they're now left open to the third strike.

fuck i miss 3rd Ed, you could do such great silly shit beyond even casting.

Fate version. Three simultaneous strikes. An execution of the Second Magic which borders on god, performed solely through technique. It's called bullshit by everyone who's seen it.
Then you're wrong. He's known for TWO things. Losing to Musashi and the Tsubame Gaeshi

>Roll to hide
>20
>"You can't find yourself anymore. Make another character."

Wut?

DC 100 swim - you can swim up a waterfall

A critical hit is double damage, 1s have no special effects, 20s only do something in combat

Bethesda pls go

>Roll to ride on my horse
>20
>You ride your horse so well you impregnated her and it gives birth to a centaur who attacks.
>Roll for initiative.

My fucking nigger.

okay then, champ, give us some examples of your homebrew bluff doing anything useful.

>Max initiative
>You can attack enemies before even encountering them.

>max profession (billionaire)
>Become President of Richest Country in the World
>Make It Great Again

I'm a nigger cock sucking whore

>An execution of the Second Magic which borders on god, performed solely through technique.
Unless you're on a very slightly different elevation than him, then it doesn't work.

there's two types of people in the world