We don't want girls in our D&D group

>We don't want girls in our D&D group

So I heard this from a female player regarding some other group (I do not know the group)that is joining my group today. And I was really stunned. I mean, according to my more-then-a-decade gaming experience women are as fun players as men and they can bring in the game aspects that men do not. Anyway, girls do make groups fun.

Why would someone show them the door (if they are not otherwise problematic and there is space in group)?

Other urls found in this thread:

answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100606205027AARmTse
youtube.com/user/misscliks
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because they are otherwise problematic, generally.

A blanket ban is usually the result of a chain of shitty experiences, and generalizing those experiences to the rest of women in terms of their capacity for tabletop things.

Which isn't to say that the other gender isn't capable of incredibly foul things, either. But you can get some pretty goddamn obnoxious harpies.

>We don't want girls in our D&D group
I have heard that more from groups with a single Nerd Queen Bee than any other, and the Queen Bee allows no competition. Either that or they have had run ins with them before.

>according to my more-then-a-decade gaming experience
Possibly they've had a different set of experiences, and have decided that the initial awkwardness of simply omitting women from the start is preferable to any potential headaches caused by introducing them into the mix. Or it could just be because the guy running the games knows his players are thirsty-ass motherfuckers who will act like retards in mixed company.

RPG groups can be pretty niche and fragile, so there's all sorts of reasons why people'd limit who they accept.

OP here.

Interesting. I had TREMENDOUS problems, but always with male, immature egos that would erupt in fierce conflicts over rules and doing stupid shit like griefing other players.

I've seen "No women allowed" being the player's democratically enforced decision because they're tired of the GM's girlfriend hogging the spotlight, but they don't have the gumption to tell the GM off to his face. Or they think he's too fragile/the group dynamics are too fragile to handle it.

I've seen aforementioned queen bee scenarios, with groups kept in line through fuck fuck games.

I've seen more traditional destructive behavior - deliberately antagonism, passive aggressiveness, rules laywering, tantrums, all of that.

Certainly, not all women are shit players. But that doesn't mean shit players who are women aren't out there.

Because the guys will fawn over the girl and compete for her attention, and quickly develop into stalking. Then you'll be left short a player when she gets creeped out and leaves.
Then you ban women instead of kicking out the creepers.

To be fair if you kicked out the creepers you'd have half a group

It my experience girls tend to spend too much time RP on the mundane shit, that it eat into doing shit

Serious question, OP: are you gay or a serial beta orbiter or something? I can understand someone disagreeing with the NO G1RLS ALLOWED mindset, but I find it strange that a normal dude would be completely unable to comprehend it.

OP here.

I see that as a bonus.

I've played in maybe 10 groups in 10 years and in 1/3 there were girls. In practically all cases they did not dominate the game and were interested in stuff male players (Let's kill another orc Boss) were not. In one case, thing developed in a relationship, which was cool.
On the other hand, as I said - I'd rather DM for 4 girls then a group with autistic neckbeards that participate in constant pissing contests. But I can understand in the end its just about people, not their sex.

He's probably a normal, well adjust adult who plays with normal well adjusted adults. Which is an incredibly small subset of our community.

Given you ignored the (admittedly loaded) question and just reverted to restating your position in slightly different words, I'll take that as a yes.

And he can't even begin to understand a common social phenomenon? Unconvinced.

>a common social phenomenon?
Normies don't think about these things in their hobbies.

OP here.

You know what? I do understand this. But with experience over the years I came to realise I sometimes think I understand something, but I miss certain parts of it. Thatswhy I sometimes like to check the "obvious answers" here too.

It's more likely that females are at a game for non-gaming reasons, the most common/obvious reason being a players gf/wife. Since most people have more experience with male players, boyfriends/husbands are less likely.
Similarly, people of both genders have a tendency to be attracted to groups of the opposite sex, being the uncontested specimen. Since most Veeky Forums consumers are male, that, again, means you have a chance of females who only want male attention.

Well it is bad when you spend 2.5 hours on shopping and attempt to sing at s taven

I couldn't find the clip I was looking for, but I found this which is enough to prove it exists:

answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100606205027AARmTse

This isn't Veeky Forums-related, but it's the same underlying phenomenon: men sometimes feel they can relax more when women aren't present. And my point in linking this? It's mainstream enough that the Simpsons made a joke explicitly about it. So while normies may not consciously think about it, I don't accept that the phenomenon is restricted to misongynerds.

It's good that you have enough self-awareness to acknowledge this. I won't go into my opinions on the "obvious answers" because that would be far too long and autistic a diatribe for an internet forum about Mongolian flip-books. Suffice to say, hopefully you can understand that women might social spaces away from men, whether that be knitting clubs, literal mothers' meetings, or just gossiping. If so, I hope you can reverse the sexes to realise that men might also sometimes want social spaces away from women, even if you don't yet understand the reasons why.

OP here.

Interesting. I never saw D&D as specifically male social space. But thanks for answer.

I've played with one girl ever. She was alright but boy did she do a lot of raping.

You only have half creepers? Thats a lucky group!

We had a no girls rule. But more because it was guys night. Get away from our wife's and girl friends and just hangout with the lads. The tone would be different if ladies where there.
My current group is two girls and a femme boy (not gay or trans or trap. Just really femme) and me as the gm.

>"Females"
That's a great word for spotting r9k crossboarders who should get the fuck back to their cancerous hive.

>femme boy (not gay or trans or trap. Just really femme)
wat
You know femme means woman, right.

Wait a girl said this?

Like she wants no OTHER girls? Do the math here Pedro. She's an attention whore.

Some people have had bad experiences that they refuse to put down, or just have that "no girls allowed" attitude, either towards their game, the hobby as a whole, or just their entire life. Some women have bad habits at the table, but men have just as many, because it's a human thing rather than a gender thing.

A lot of people still have the idea that tabletop games are a boy's hobby and only for boys. Same goes for video games, actually, and that's probably a driving factor here. Is it dumb? Yes, very. Am I disappointed? Yes. But am I surprised? Not even slightly.

>means you have a chance of females who only want male attention.
This is a common male gaze missconception.
The truth is females want the attention of all genders. It's hard-coded socially that if you've got a vagina capable of producing children but you're not praised and loved by everyone, there's something wrong with you. Us guys don't have to put up with that shit and it makes sense we wouldn't want an element like that introduced in our gaming groups.
Women with masculine social standards are perfectly welcome.

I think OP is saying they heard from a friend, that was a woman, that she was told she couldn't join because the game was boys only.

D&D was spawned from wargaming. Wargaming was spawned from, well, actual war. In most places for most of the past few thousand years of Western culture, war was pretty much a male-only space.

Of course, D&D also owes much of its existance to horror and fantasy fiction, which has always had significant female fans and writers (although they were sometimes separated or marginalized).

So, from the start there's always been a lot of "no girls allowed" attitude in D&D, which was heavily influenced by the wargaming vs storytelling divide. Boys play D&D, girls play Murder Mystery Party.

D&D was also somewhat influenced by video gaming culture in 80s-90s, which was very heavily marketed towards boys and young men. This was, of course, a small part of a larger trend in toy/hobby marketing, where marketing became extremely gendered, toy stores were rigidly divided in blue/pink sections, etc. (To go back even further: In the early 80s, Reagan deregulated child advertising, and by the mid-80s advertisers had gone balls-deep with child-focused ad campaigns.)

By the time we get to the 90s, D&D is still mostly seen as a "boys club", but it's slowly improving. Some other scenes (Vampire, various LARPs, online RP) are more inclusive. But it's not until the 2000s that we really see significant change. But there's still quite a lot of lingering influence and grumpy grognards who are still around.

OP here.

Exactly. Not a native speaker, if this excuse has any value.

Oh, and this is all obviously from an American view, since the US is the origin and still the focal point for D&D. From what I've heard, mainland European RPG history is somewhat less male-focused, and somewhat less D&D-focused.

The mindset of girls being a problem in games stems slightly from the fact we're a niche hobby. Less niche now, but still far from mainstream stuff like video games are now. Part of the idea comes from the fact that back in the day, you just didn't see a lot of girls participating because it was a very niche hobby with a much smaller community, the majority of which were men, and so when a girl -did- show up to a game two things happened.

1.) You tend to pay more attention to what they do, because they're uncommon.
2.) Problems that occurred stuck in people's minds better. People do shitty stuff all the time, but when the person doing it is a rare sight in that hobby, stories spread and that gives the impression that they're all a problem.

Now of course, you've got the girls who were just there to play and made no trouble. But since at the time nerdy hobbies like tabletop were thought of as a dorky guy thing, girls who were there to actually participate were uncommon. While girls who couldn't find acceptance in more mainstream circles drifted towards the community in search of attention and acceptance, and girls who were dating players came along as well because they either wanted to understand their boyfriend's interests more, or they wanted to pretend they were also interested to try and force a closer bond with them. Sometimes, those girls also took a legitimate interest in the hobby. Other times, they just didn't care, and either brought the mood down by being there when they didn't want to, or they forced themselves to participate to keep the illusion up and end up dragging things down further.

(Cont)

She drank the memeaide on women at the table. Playing with a bunch of weird NEET's who can't stand womz probably rubbed off eventually.

>and somewhat less D&D-focused
that's an understatement.

semi understandable

my old WoW guild used to have the same rule:
no girls, only 18+, we did have 3 girls at some point but one was the GF of the GM - the other 2 were said to be very mature 15 year old boys

why'd we ban girls?
we had a huge drama involving 3 guys fawning over our first female member - she didn't want any of the attention, the 3 guys got into huge fights and we ended kicking all 3 - the girl left shortly after because some people blamed her for it

if the girl don't cause drama, the guys around her do

As for the girls seeking attention, because the hobby's original community (and to a somewhat lesser extent it's current community) weren't exactly the type that tended to be good with girls, some would try to impress them. This led to a nasty loop of the girls (who have no interest in the hobby, just attention) dragging things down as they treat the game as their way to sort of affirm themselves. Being rejected by mainstream circles feels less painful when you have dorks that fawn over you. This of course would bother the ones who have no interest in that bullshit and just want to play, causing trouble.

Word of mouth spreads. People talk about their shitty experiences more than their good experiences because the former makes for more interesting/shocking conversation. Because of the cultural factors that make women in the hobby uncommon, and women with a real interest in the hobby even less common, this leads to a perfect mix of external factors to form a common stereotype of girls being bad for games. This isn't done on purpose, it's just a natural defense we build up to defend our interests; If you'd heard several stories about people getting food poisoning at a certain restraunt chain, chances are you're going to give the one on your block a pass, even if you've never eaten there before and they might be one of the locations that actually bothers to handle their food properly. Someone might even tell you that's the case, but you'll still be skeptical. That's basically the case here.

2/3 cause I'm a wordy ass motherfucker and character limit sucks dick.

The hobby starts to expand a bit, more girls start coming in (although they're still the minority), and now you have a larger pool of people who now have to deal with that stereotype developed from when the community was smaller. And in some cases that's a deserved reputation; There's plenty of shitters out there that happen to also have boobs. There's also plenty of okay girls out there that just want to play like any other member of the community, and they still get a skeptical look by some.

And that's about the gist of it OP. Though there's some other details, like how SJW bullshit is bringing undesirables to the hobby too while others (including trolls) use that as a sign to just close the gates and rant about women being incapable of enjoying the hobby the way men do, but this post's long enough already and no one wants to read all that shit

because if players are 13-17 year old (sometimes it's also true for older players) they are immature and they will spend more time romancing another player of the opposite sex than trying to play the game seriously, in fact they will often unconsciously sacrifice the game well-being for "romancing".

the D&D session becomes a total shitshow and can destroy the group, the campaign and friendships in at least 10 different ways.

It's not the girls's fault anymore than the boys's fault:
they are both better with an all-girl and all-boys groups with an hard ban for the opposite sex to join.

while there are theorically sitautions where allowing someone of the opposite sex could be viable, it's just not worth the risk and the trouble of defining exactly what the exception should be.

All of that is better abandoned as everyone grows up and gains, hopefully, more maturity.

>we did have 3 girls at some point but one was the GF of the GM - the other 2 were said to be very mature 15 year old boys
Lol wut?

Some nerds aren't comfortable around girls. And it does change the dynamic, just like if I wanted to join in on a book club with a bunch of soccer moms. Grow a pair and quit whining about every god damn thing fuck

Underage/autism/both basically

I think there should always be some debate about who can join the game and who can't. When someone wants to join me and the DM always discuss if that would work or not. Problem is: when a dude wants to bring a girl into a game that he fancies this debate is mostly skipped, atleast by the guy who fancies the girl.

>I never saw D&D as specifically male social space.
D&D as a whole is not. But a specific group of male players can decide to make their group a male social space. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, despite what the tumblrs of the world might tell you. Some women need women-only social spaces, likewise some men need men-only social spaces, that's just natural.

is a good example.

Wait... do you mean the girl or her character?

>The truth is females want the attention of all genders.
Kudos to you for not falling for the "women never do it for male attention, they only do it for themselves and other women" bullshit. Women do it for both male attention, and the attention of their female peers, which are two different kinds of attention. And kudos to you for acknowledging that not all women behave like that, too.

Btw, this has nothing to do with "male gaze". Please don't fall into the usual Tumblr trap of throwing around feminist terms without concern for their actual meaning.

I am this to an extent, I mean our group can be quite mature and has always been just under 50% female.

And yes, I too cannot understand a blanket band on such a large group of the population. It reeks of a blinkered outlook, a childish kind of broad exclusion based on one or two bad experiences.

Here's an example OP:
>Woman: Sorry, we want this group to be a female-only space
>OP: Why??? Men can be as fun as women!!! They can bring somehting new to the table!!!

OP, you are That Guy.

Here's the archetypes of female players

The Girlfriend
Mostly disinterested in the game itself. Impatient, fails at rp, and distracts person she came with most of the time.

The Harpy
In some cases weird and creepy. In many cases homosexual. Political academic papers and drawn conclusions thereof inform every choice on how to interact with someone, whether outside of the game, or ingame

The Dryad
Character/class choices in some cases similar to the girlfriend. Heavy focus on attracting attention. Either play campy protagonists, bards, other characters with ability to seduce, and often go into great detail to deliberately make as strange and unique a character they can to play - usually by dedicating their choice of race to that.

The Unicorn
A fun person to play with, actually reads the source material, will do well in the game and sometimes even come up with good ideas.

The names of the archetypes should give an indication on why there's groups that don't allow girls.

>Women just want to spend a fun evening with the girls
It's a-okay, nothing to see here, move along

>Men just want to spend a fun evening with the boys
Why don't you accept women? Do you have anything against women huh bucko? You're probably immature autists, or rapey creeps. Don't you realize that women can bring new experiences to the table? It's so sad that this is still a thing in 2017...

Literally never heard of a girl-only RPG group. Also
>Men just want to spend a fun evening with the boys
No, "men" just want to cry about how shitty and "attention-seeking" women are at their precious boy-only games and exclude them. See

>Literally never heard of a girl-only RPG group.
Women prefer other activities for their girl-only time. Don't tell me you haven't heard of "girls' nights out"

>No, "men" just want to cry about how shitty and "attention-seeking" women are at their precious boy-only games and exclude them.
Nice try generalizing all men. Probably comes from the same place as with those crying men, a shitty past experience that leads one to generalize a whole gender. But whatever, I'm not your shrink.

See and for examples of guys just wanting to spend time with the boys.

>implying women don't share similar horror stories about annoying men, just not D&D-related

You're a retard. He didn't mean girl only RPG groups but the actual shit girls do to get away from men. My gf for example invites her friends over to drink, listen to shitty music and stuff their faces with potato chips. Once in a while there is one male but he's gay and they all love to encourage him to twerk to Nikki Minaj music.

What I'm getting at is, it's not weird to sometimes exlude the opposite gender from your games. Especially if it's your gf or wife. People need space.

>No, "men" just want to cry about how shitty and "attention-seeking" women are at their precious boy-only games and exclude them.
Ask women why they don't let men join their "girl times", you'll probably hear something similar to this: they don't want drama, group dynamics are different, they can talk about stuff they can't with men being there, men can be annoying, etc etc.

Yes, and there's boy's nights as well. Those are generally one-off nights where normies can cut loose and get all sexist or whatever without their girlfriends/boyfriends judging them. Completely different to a long-term RPG campaign, which again I have never heard of a women's-only RPG group.

>Nice try generalizing all men
Wrong, I'm talking about the "men" who want male-only groups. Hence the quotation marks.

Yeah sure, and that's probably just as generalising and sexist. Also if it's not RPG-related why are you bringing that up in this thread?

It's not too weird if it's a one-off kinda thing as I stated above, an uncommon occurrence. It gets weird when you exclude a whole gender from your weekly RPG where the gender of a player doesn't fucking matter, only the attitude of the player and how they fit in the group as an individual.

Fucking last time, stop bring up this shitty strawman excuse. If it's not RPGs shut the fuck up in this discussion about RPGs. This shit is like food analogies.

Groups usually only have blanket bans on things that have a near-constant pattern (it has happened 7+ times) and would just rather the norm then take the chance.

One of my groups has a complete blanket ban on Humans and Half-races for D&D/Pathfinder because every time someone played a human or half-human, the game got ruined somehow. It happened so many times they considered those races cursed.

>I never saw D&D as specifically male social space.

Yeah I can so easily recount the droves of girls who flocked to our highschool basement to play D&D back in the 80s.
Oh wait.

>Those are generally one-off nights where normies can cut loose and get all sexist
>get all sexist
So you've basically outed yourself as either a male beta orbiter SJW or a woman.

Not a big suprise, but still.

>Literally never heard of a girl-only RPG group.
Women usually do other stuff at their girl-only gatherings. It doesn't matter much to the point user is making though. Both genders like to spend some time with their peers of the same gender. But for some people, it's only a problem when men do it, for some reason.

>buzzwords buzzwords buzzwords

Such a great argument.

You did not read what I said properly at all.

>stop using a generalization to contrast my own sweeping generalization

>It's not too weird if it's a one-off kinda thing as I stated above, an uncommon occurrence. It gets weird when you exclude a whole gender from your weekly RPG where the gender of a player doesn't fucking matter, only the attitude of the player and how they fit in the group as an individual.

Look, in my opinion this whole no girls allowed thing is meant to count for girlfriends and wives. Maybe you've never been in a long term relationship but it's common that people like to get away from the significant other from time to time. Also the others players can find it annoying if one of their bro's is with his GF because a bro can be pretty different when hi s gf is around.

What's my sweeping generalisation then?

>Maybe you've never been in a long term relationship
Good assumption m8, but no I was in a relationship for almost 3 years with a person who I played RPGs with before we dated, played RPGs all throughout our dating, and are still playing RPGs together as friends.

Also now that this whole gf/wife argument is cropping up I want to say that a ban on a gf/wife is an individual thing and different to a blanket ban on females.

m80, you just claimed that guys want a male space because it gives them them the freedom to be sexist.

What, exactly, did you expect?

We read what you said, you decide to not read or understand what we're telling you. Your only retort is; 'stop using fitting analogies'

D&D is typically a male dominated hobby. Many guys do it as a 'guy's night', which is the equivalent of a 'girls night'. They don't want boys there, because they know it will affect the dynamic. The same applies to a D&D session. They are both social events.

Also, you're clearly biased as already mentioned by the other user. Just saying 'buzzwords' does not make it less true. You imply that a 'boy's night out' will include sexism, like it's a standard thing. What the fuck of retarded generalisation is that?

I'm betting you're a female pretending to be a guy and are butthurt you cannot join a campaign. With the retarded statements and generalisations you made ITT, I can clearly see why they won't let you join.

Is it really that you don't understand their reasoning OP? Or that you don't agree with it? Because it looks more like you want us to prove the action is the right thing than actually explaining why some people do that. But since you are not actually arguing with the people whose actions you disagree with its pointless.

Yes? I've made it clear that I don't have a problem with gender-specific spaces in general.

I have a problem with it when it's an RPG, again something where gender should not matter.

Not him but I don't understand it at all. Seems stupid to say all women are shit roleplayers. I know it's the trendy thing to do here but it's just silly. Look at any of our 6 million "That Guy" threads and you'll see plenty of examples of bad and disruptive male players.
Everyone should be treated on a case-by-case basis. Just because my problem players have all been anime fans doesn't mean I should ban all anime fans.

>Those are generally one-off nights where normies can cut loose and get all sexist or whatever without their girlfriends/boyfriends judging them.
>get all sexist or whatever without their girlfriends/boyfriends judging them
You either have never been to a guy's night out or you got some shitty male friends.

>Completely different to a long-term RPG campaign
How is that "completely different"? A guy's night out is not a thing that happens once a year, those can be pretty regular. If those are regular, guys who are into D&D can play D&D there. I'm not sure how you don't get this.

>again I have never heard of a women's-only RPG group.
And again, as several people already explained to you, women usually prefer to do other activities at their girl's nights.

>Fucking last time, stop bring up this shitty strawman excuse. If it's not RPGs shut the fuck up in this discussion about RPGs.
Not my comment you're replying to, but couldn't help myself. We're talking about the reason people use to exclude people of the other gender from their gender-only nights times. It doesn't matter whether they play RPGs or twerk to Nikki Minaj, the reasons it has to be the same gender are usually pretty similar: people just want some space. And btw, that's not what a "strawman" means.

Oh but gender should matter when people are getting drunk, shopping or having night watching sports on the TV?
Why should it not matter for RPGs and matter for other activities?

>Good assumption m8

I said "maybe" which isn't a weird assumption on a board about traditional games on an anime focused website.

Also, not every has a cute nerdy tg loving gf. As I said, mine likes shitty pop music, netflix and cute animals.

In our gaming club there have been two during the ten years i've been a member.
The exist, but they're the gaming group equivalent of finding a unopened 1st edition M.tG booster pack, e.g. the rarest of Unicorns

check out missclicks if you want to see a all-girl gaming group in action
youtube.com/user/misscliks

>Yes, and there's boy's nights as well. Those are generally one-off nights where normies can cut loose and get all sexist or whatever without their girlfriends/boyfriends judging them.

So you already had an explanation before you decided to make this thread. Why the dishonesty?

And its not like a women's night out can't devolve into outright misandry about how all men are dogs and stuff. Why only care when men do it?

Not allowing girls is not the same as saying all girls are bad roleplayers.

>I don't have a problem with gender-specific spaces in general.
>HOWEVER
so you do have a problem with it, only not when it's something you don't care about?
D&D and going out are both social events. You can't pretend that it's logical for one social event to be gender-specific, but for the other it isn't.

>I have a problem with it when it's an RPG, again something where gender should not matter.
But it does matter. It's a social event more than it is an RPG. That's how D&D has always been. That's why people will tell you the main goal of D&D is to have fun, not to 'win'.

Also, you completely ignored what he was saying in the first place. You're making a swooping assumption that males are generally sexist when they can be. That's pretty demeaning, you stupid fuck.

>Good assumption m8, but no I was in a relationship for almost 3 years with a person who I played RPGs with before we dated, played RPGs all throughout our dating, and are still playing RPGs together as friends.
So now you're telling other couples how to couple. Marvelous. You and your SO liked playing RPGs with each other? Great. Some other person gives their SO some space to play RPGs on their own? Also great. Stop being such a judgemental prick, user.

>le grognard bogeyman

>you got some shitty male friends
Ie. "You're having badwrongfun". No I'm Australian and I guess I do tend to forget how other cultures don't like to talk as much shit as we do.

Also I feel like beer and chips D&D is different to a more serious campaign, which is what I'm really talking about here. I do concede that yeah, boy's nights involving D&D are a thing sure, but I feel like those groups are already tight-knit and enclosed, and not the groups advertising for players with a "no girls" clause.

And no, I'm specifically talking about RPGs here. Again again, I understand the need for gender-specific spaces, I just don't understand making a serious RPG campaign gender-specific.

>I've made it clear that I don't have a problem with gender-specific spaces in general.
>I have a problem with it when it's an RPG
RPGs are just one of many possible activities that people can do together. Ask yourself, why do you consider it OK when people watch a movie in a gender-specific company, but not when people play an RPG in a gender-specific company?

>again something where gender should not matter.
Let me tell you a secret user. Most activities people do at their girls' nights and boys' nights, are activities where gender doesn't matter. Like drinking alcohol, listening to music, eating food stuff, playing video games, watching movies, etc etc.

>RPG's were always this cool male space where women were not allowed.

Yeah no. Its only recently that rpgs and video games are seen as something other than no life geeks, nerds, and one step away from being satanist freaks do.

>I just don't understand making a serious RPG campaign gender-specific.
Because they don't want girls there.
All the reason you need.

I find it bizarre and for a board that spends so much time ranting about "safespaces" to be advocating for doing exactly that.
If you literally cannot relax if a woman is present, that's on you. Better yet, use this as an opportunity for some exposure therapy. It's stupid to ban a player not because of anything they did, but solely because of gender.

>Again again, I understand the need for gender-specific spaces, I just don't understand making a serious RPG campaign gender-specific.
Seems like you're the only going all "badwrongfun" here.

Not the OP.

>That's pretty demeaning, you stupid fuck
Holy kek.

>So now you're telling other couples how to couple
No? I literally just stated my own experience. Also, giving a SO space is again an individual case and not a gender-wide ban.

People watching a movie is a one-off activity and you're not stopping anyone coming to see the same movie and just sit in a different spot. Excluding a whole gender from your RPG is exactly that, exclusion from your game based on a shallow feature of that person, and you're potentially missing out on a good player all because of a blanket ban.

Not really, I just don't understand it, and I'm just trying to explain why I don't understand it.

>Not really, I just don't understand it, and I'm just trying to explain why I don't understand it.
Then you're literally the dumbest cunt alive, because there are tons of reasons why people would blanket ban based on gender in this very thread that you keep ignoring.

>D&D was spawned from wargaming.

Alongside creative storytelling. It's a hybrid and a departure from both, and considering that D&D is the roleplaying game that spawned all the rest, you might as well try to say all roleplaying games spawned from wargaming.

It's been decades since it's left it's wargaming roots.

And I have yet to be given one reason I understand, as my arguments should show.

>I find it bizarre and for a board that spends so much time ranting about "safespaces" to be advocating for doing exactly that.
We're not /pol/, you're on the wrong board user

>If you literally cannot relax if a woman is present, that's on you. Better yet, use this as an opportunity for some exposure therapy.
Go to a soccer mom book club and tell them that. Don't worry, I'll arrange your funeral

>People watching a movie is a one-off activity and you're not stopping anyone coming to see the same movie and just sit in a different spot.
They could, you know, watch different movies every time. Or maybe they watch the new episode of a series together when it airs.

>People watching a movie is a one-off activity and you're not stopping anyone coming to see the same movie and just sit in a different spot.
Do you have a reading problem? I was specifically talking about different activities people do on their girls' and boys' nights. Go ask a girl why they're "excluding a whole gender based on a shallow feature" from their girls' nights, will ya?

No, you're being given reasons you disagree with. If you actually cannot understand then, that guy is right. You are the dumbest cunt alive.

I think most peoples bad experiences come from a players girlfriend not caring about the game, but only attending to be with their boyfriend.

Just personal experience, ive not had a single positive experience with female players, the two ive had play in my group were disinterested and never read rules or even remember any of them no matter how many times I explain them.

Not bad people, I just assume they are there for the wrong reasons.

I dont have a ban either, I just warn players about the possible problem.

Okay? It's still a bad analogy, and I hate analogies in general.

Okay, give me a quick recap of the reasons you believe in.

>I just don't understand it, and I'm just trying to explain why I don't understand it.
People already told you a million times.

It's one of the following:
>A group had bad problems with female players, and they don't want to risk the existing group's dynamics, so they issue a sweeping ban
>Guys just want to have a night out with the boys

What else do you want?

>I think most peoples bad experiences come from a players girlfriend not caring about the game, but only attending to be with their boyfriend.
Pretty much this. Only girls who bother trying to join are just there to hang out with their boyfriends. They've always wound up just being distractions for otherwise established party members with little-to-no interest in anything actually happening on the board.

Don't have a ban on women, but girlfriends in a game are something I am absolutely wary of.

Holy shit man. Not any of the ones you replied to but you need to take your fingers out of your ears and learn to listen to counter-points. There are plenty of legit reasons covered in this thread. Why are you purposely ignoring them?

What the fuck are you on about you autistic spergburger

>A group had bad problems with female players
Try to understand what you didn't like about those people as individuals, and try to more closely review new players then?

>Guys just want to have a night out with the boys
This is the only one I can understand, although again I feel that beer & chips D&D is different to the more involved campaigns I'm referring to where I feel a player's gender does not matter.