EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Haha OP" Edition

Previous: >54722335

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Namefag bitchfest, but People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
What ability do people in your playgroup always forget about?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/t-o-x-i-c/
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Thread Question
Shroud. I keep having to remind them that they can't equip shit to creatures with Shroud

Newer EDH player here. Is it worth preordering all 4 Commander 2017 decks for $110?

I'd say that's more a problem with the Equip ability and less to do with Shroud. Suggest these if they need a way to get around it

I would only do that if I intended to play all 4, otherwise wait for release and buy the singles you want.

"Forgetting" to pay taxes.

I was considering it since my wife and brother in law want to play and I only have 1 EDH deck for now.

Man I really need to make that Tazri ADVENTURE deck

Rhystic Study triggers
It might just stick out more because I am pretty lenient about letting people get triggers, and usually we remind each other off our triggers. All bets are off with rhystic though, card is way too annoying.

I think it would be reasonable if you and a friend wanted to get into the format together and have a variety of decks to learn with or tweak.

>need more snake tokens for hapatra
>50c each on TCG player
>144 count of pic related on Amazon for $20
Should I go for it? I often need 30+ snakes

>often need 30+ snakes
Wouldn't you just need 4 or 5 max?
>Attacking Tapped
>Tapped
>Untapped
>Summoning Sick Tapped
>Summoning Sick Untapped
just put a Die on top of the respective tokens

Not OP, but it's about sending a message. Also, post Hapatra list please

wait i thought you were going to buy a 144 count of paper tokens, disregard , that's awesome. Our group has a bucket of tiny marine animals that we've all given different roles. The Wurmcoil Engine tokens are Deathtouch Dolphin and Lifelink Lobster

Nah, that seems obnoxious. I would rather have something I could easily see was tapped. You could sleeve up pictures of cute snakes though, I'm sure everyone loves seeing adorable noodles.

If you're planning on scalping or giving them to your friends, but they could do multiple print runs and make all the good cards tribal only to keep the price down.
The Eminence ability all the commanders have is insane value that could break the game, the cat commander can shit out 5/4 turn one very reliably. I could see this infamous set being 300+ in a year if the commanders aren't banned or reprinted all to hell.

I'm probably going to buy a box, use one deck for myself, sell the chase one before the 2nd print run and give the other two to friends.

because it's boring duh

i usually want to see the game progress and counterspells that just stop things from happening are lame af. the deck is durdly enough as it is so my instants should probably incur some clear advantage for me or at least be interesting

ya i have mind's dilation

i also want to keep the shitty instant tribal going on

i guess the deck is pretty much done then, probably going to order the cards soon

I've never liked using counters to represent a quantity of tokens, as it's pretty common for the deck to put +1/+1 and -1/-1 (to a lesser extent) counters on my snakes.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/t-o-x-i-c/
Still far from complete, but it's working pretty well so far. Among other things, I need a Westvale Abbey and Dusk Urchins.

>Lifelink Lobster
Love it

I would love this. I just hope you have a big table

Are you prepared to be disappointed by Edgar Markov's card?

After Ludevic and seeing the Ur-Dragon abilities I have very little faith.

>Thread Question
Green Selvala draw trigger, always, everytime, every game, it basicly doesn't exist for us

Anons, give me ideas for angel commander! as in who should it be.
Or should I just accept big and thicc dragon deck from C17

>playing with friends at LGS
>one has a history of getting salty
>group spends 2 hours durdling and shutting each other down, everyone's getting kinda of tired
>salty friend finally comes after me and gets me down to 2 life with Jarad on board, so I'm dead once he untaps
>he starts talking shit
>say jokingly "well I guess I just have to kill you then"
>he gets tilted and tells me to bring it on little bitch
>I now also get tilted
>draw 9 cards with blinked Elvish Visionary and Shamanic Revelation
>last card is Descend Upon the Sinful, cast it
>he sarcastically acts shocked and impressed
>alrightnigger.jpg
>hang on with 2 life and managed to overcome everyone trying to finish me, I kill him last and win the game
>look him dead in the eyes as I kill him and tell him to git gud
>he slams his cards down and leaves the store for 30 minutes

I probably permanently damaged my relationship with one of my closest friends to win a casual cardgame, but holy fuck that was the best game of Magic I ever played.

Turning the smug smile on someone's face into a frustrated grimace is the meaning of this wonderful game.

me no like counter
counter is only for slow game
me never play blue
ooga booga

stop posting please

I'm doing a 5 color angel deck with Progenitus at the helm.

I'd probably say that Bruna and Archangel Avacyn would be interesting to build around.

did the chad RG player steal your boyfriend away from you or what

i wish leage babies would leave

I am a RG player and I still understand that counters are not just for "slowing the game down"

kill yourself you absolute retard

how have craterhoof and obelisk spider been for you?

I just got a $1,000 bonus, what deck should I build? I have no EDH deck and have never played before.

Counterspells don't just stop things from happening though, they protect your commander and other shit while you continuously gain value, drawing cards and casting free spells

figured out what you want to be doing with your deck, buy a pre con to learn the format, then build a real deck once you have the hang of politics and a better grasp on how a 4 person game flows

I don't understand this kind of question. How could you not have any idea what you want to build? I don't understand the concept of wanting to play edh but not having any ideas floating around on what to build, and I don't understand wanting other people to decide your personalized deck. More than half the fun of edh for me is building decks and theorizing.

Aren't the precons much worse than just doing research before building a deck myself?

The precons are like instant ramen. By itself, it's okay but you can use it as a base to make something good.

It's probably just overwhelming to get into a format as large as EDH starting out with nothing.

I guess I want to just shit the whole deck out. Maybe starting with Academy Rector into Omniscience into Enter the Infinite, etc., etc.

if you have never played the format and dont understand how to properly build a 100 card deck, it is a good way to learn the format before dropping money, especially the newest ones

Hi.

I'm currently building a Zada deck, but I'm a little confused with how spell copies interact with Zada.

How do spell copy effects interact with her? For example I cast Expedite on her, and copy it with Dualcaster Mage, do I get double value or not? I ask because the card text specifies that whenever you CAST a spell.

That's a great start, you can do lots with that, in fact all 4 of my decks essentially have that as the gameplan, all though one of them also has a more traditional combo in Kiki conscripts

You should build Hyperbudget Edric Flying Men before sinking several hundred dollars into something you've never done before.

Try Karador Hulk, or Tymna+Thrasios Hulk.

has to be cast
and has to be cast FROM HAND
and can ONLY target zada

Teehee, OP, you seemed to have forgotten the Discord info. Here it is:

Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

Don't beat yourself up about it though. Just try to be less forgetful next time.

Are there any good wincons for self-mill besides Lab Maniac?

Specifically in WU.

Shelldock Isle into a fatty.

That's good. Now like 10 more wincons and I'll be all set.

:)

it just had to be cast
not copied
not from hand you dumbass

What commander are playing that's self mill in WU? The new enbalm guy?

If I hit someone for 21 with Marath's ability, does that count as the commander damage to kill someone or is it only damage from swinging that counts?

why do people give a fuck about that little kid that appears at every GP?
is she a player?

bruna

ONLY combat damage counts as commander damage.

commander damage is combat only

commander damage is combat damage

5 color good stuff

So Bruna.

Ignore the other guys, he's a big gay faker.

My idea was a Hanna self-mill deck, taking advantage of cards like the blue curses to focus on filling the graveyard with enchantments to fuel things like Open the Vaults and Starfield of Nyx, or just to recur things with Hanna herself.

What makes you salty, user?

superfriend cancer decks

>Edric Flying Men

Neat, I really like this one.

If you wind up printing pictures for tokens, use this.

people who counterspell things like sigil of the empty throne and not the infinite combo player

Is this some fetish thing?
>"Why are you attacking me? He has two creatures, he's the bigger threat!"
>As they sit there with an As Foretold and Rashmi

Grouphug. They always try to be mastermind politicians but 9/10 times they can't see their inevitable betrayal coming because they won't stop helping the biggest threat on the board.

>Why would you attack me unprovoked like that user? Aren't I giving you free cards :^(

Most likely. I found it here on Veeky Forums. Just imagine the faces of people seeing you put down 25 weird rubber sex snake pictures. I think it would be great.

Ludvic can be made really good for Izzet playstyles. A friend of mine uses him as perfect utility. Where as Ur-Dragon seems like great theming/flavor and allows the deck to be better for Dragons at 5 colors. I'm sure Edgar will be better than the Cat Avatar at least.

I'm pretty hard to tilt, but Rhystic Study gets me every time.

There's always the one fucker who doesn't respect it and ends up making it a 3 mana draw 10.

Except Jori En will be giving you the same "utility" and not giving it to your enemies.

>finally finished my Aboshan sea monsters deck
>take it to the FLGS and sit down with Breya, Narset, and Mazirek
>I get off to a good start with a couple of mana rocks and some early card draw
>Mazirek ramps as hard as he possibly can, Breya does various Breya things, and Narset seems to be missing blue mana for some reason
>I cast Aboshan with a few shapeshifters/cephalids out and everyone laughs about it
>Mazirek drops doubling season and Avenger of Zendikar with Mazirek out, Narset blows up Mazirek up, Breya plays Propaganda to try and pillow fort into a combo
>turn comes back to me, I throw down damping matrix, breya groans and makes a pissy face
>turn goes to mazirek, he gets really excited presumably because he's going to take someone out
>flash in Stormtide leviathan, mazirek draws and sacrifices a few things, but can't swing despite his fuckhuge board
>breya passes after drawing because she can't combo off
>Narset finally hits a blue mana, plays Narset with haste
>tap it down everything with Aboshan
>turn comes back to me
>I play kicked rite of replication on cephalid constable
>start tapping down things like a god, everyone else is effectively locked out
>eventually win after getting part water and bouncing everyone's lands with my squid swarm
>next game, get hated out immediately
Totally worth it. Objectively the most fun I've had in ages.

>not making infinite angels with Sigil of the empty throne
>a shiggy digg

Decks/Cards that lock you out of the game. As if I want to sit at the table while someone masturbates.

how do you make infinite angels

>Opalescence
>Journey to Nowhere

Cloudstone curio + treachery + mana

I don't get it

Sigil is on cast

>mfw

What the fuck do i do with this?

Play Teferi = People cannot play spells.
Copy it = People cannot play their own spells.

run it in jihoria because it says "from hand"

Cloudstone curio is essentially the wincon of my enchantress deck. Let's me draw and play my whole deck

how long has it been since I saw a picture of spoony. I appreciate this, thanks user

Maybe I should be playing blue enchantress but aggravated assault is too much fun

>1k
Pff try 4 baby.

C17 spoilers tomorrow boys.
Allegedly they will start with Cats

Craterhoof is amazing, Spider is still in testing

WOTC cashing in on that furry market.

are you also on derevi enchantress, friend?

I had uril enhantress before and it was great, ended up not liking how I could only kill one person at a time outside the infinite combat thing, so I decided to go bant pillow fort prison enchantress, but then I decided prison decks aren't that fun either and i just end up stalling until somebody owns me with all is dust or ugin, so I switched to bant combo enchantress, and now I've got a very high winrate. I was amazed at how much more often I win despite cutting objectively good prison cards like Rest In Peace and ghostly prison in favor of more land enchantments and land untapping tech

The deck just makes an absurd amount of mana

>what do i do with this?

hive mind + epic spell

>laugh

anyone have a really fun animar decklist? Just something I can use and start customizing

Yessir

She does a great job untapping lands I enchanted with utopia sprawl and such

I'm playing Marath enchantress, not as strong as it could be (missing stuff like Xenagos, Doubling Season, Purphoros etc) but it's frustrating when I durdle for 5 turns then get one-shotted for having a true conviction and no creatures

I didn't want to have infinite combo stuff because I didn't want to be "that guy" but I've realized that everybody just has infinites in EDH

>mfw I realize I can run RIP-Helm in my deck

Is it worth it to put Collective Voyage and Tempt with Discovery in my 5C enchantress deck? The first few turns for the deck are always it's weakest, so being able to skip them basically isn't a bad deal.

How do you want the deck to play? If you want a stax/hatebear strategy, Linvala is probably the best. If you're going tron, wAkroma works pretty well. And if you wanna go hard on the aggro, Aurelia or Gisela are good options and give you access to another color.

If you say "angel tribal" I'm leaving

>Play Teferi = People cannot play spells.
Explain because I'm a tard

Sounds like your table needs a stax deck.

Run Strangle Hold, Aven Mindcensor, Stony Silence, Torpor Orb and Jester's Cap if you want to shit all over combo fags.

Teferi, Mage of Zhalifar
>Each opponent can cast spells only any time he or she could cast a sorcery.
That means it must be that player's turn, during a main phase, and the stack must be empty. If you have Knowledge Pool then the spell is exiled, but the replacement spell would be cast with it still on the stack. This means that they cast a spell, it's exiled, and Teferi prevents them from casting the replacement.

Teferi says you can cast spells only any time you could cast a sorcery, which means, only during your main phase and only if there are no spells or abilities on the stack.

When you cast a spell while knowledge Pool is on the battlefield, that spell is exiled and the ability prompts you to cast another of the exiled spells. To cast that spell would be to cast it during the resolution of the knowledge Pool ability, but if it's still resolving then it's still on the stack, so the stack is not empty, and you cannot cast it

Teferi also stops suspended spells for the same reason, they would be cast during the resolution of the suspend triggered ability

Anything they cast from hand gets exiled, then Teferi stops them from being able to cast a spell out of the pool. It's a hard lock unless they have something on board or in the command zone to get out of it

So, I need your help Veeky Forums. Ijust bought the commander anthology for like 140 maple bucks,and I was wondering which deck should I finetune first between Derevi and Freyalise/Titania

Derevi stax