Is living in the Tau Empire actually better for humans?

Is living in the Tau Empire actually better for humans?

From my understanding of it it seems to be like this: while the bottom standard of living for the Tau is better than the Imperium (1984-esque flat vs. literal squalor in the bottom of a hive city), in the Imperium humans have more "freedom" to choose what they do and advance higher in society while in the Tau Empire they're permanently stuck as second-class citizens.

Other urls found in this thread:

technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?Bnum=1735
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trantor
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The future will hate you as much as it hates you. It is inevitable. Take a peasant from the Middle Ages, he would be horrified.

It's only better for the dregs. Anyone whose made it to PDF, Whiteshield, or standard IG level or higher will have the same life in either empire, with the rare high rankers like Gue'vesa Inquisitors or officers actually losing resources and prestige.

Only problem is, Tau rarely ever be taking in hive cattle and shit. When have you ever heard of the Tau Empire appropriating billions of humans at once? This is why you have memes about sterilization camps and population control. The Tau literally do not have the infrastructure to support mass human life, and their empire is already founded upon an astronomically impossible first and second sphere of expansion.

If you were a peaceful agri-world farmer or some shit, life doesn't even change at all to begin with. "Life with Tau is better" is a retarded meme. Anyone whose life would actually improve would never see the day come, or even make it there alive, and any who would benefit from a high station under the Tau regime would be locked down by the Ethereals and Fire Caste hierarchy and would have been better off ranking up in the Imperium.

>advance in the social ladder.
>Imperium

Yeah, I'm sure there's a lot of upwards mobility in the feudal system of the Imperium with nobles living hundreds of years hooked into life extension drugs and implants.

>agri-world.

It has been a retarded abd laughable concept in scifi. You dont need agri-worlds at all. Only something as inefficient and retarded as the Imperium would ever need such a thing even with a population of a trillion. It's pointlessly wasteful.

>When have you ever heard of the Tau Empire appropriating billions of humans at once?

In their codex, when they conquered Hive Worlds.

Yes, it's dumb and impossible. Welcome to the T'au

There's nothing complex or smart about hive worlds. If you need whole planets to feed them, all you need to do is siege the place, cut off the power sources and let it rot.

>You dont need agri-worlds at all.
You do when you have planets of a trillion people on a world that doesn't have any arable land whatsoever and everybody lives in barely-sanitary hives. Many worlds may not really be able to produce much more than foodstuffs due to lack of other exploitable natural wealth.

Agri-worlds also supply the Munitorum with food for soldiers rations, and that eats up a shitload of resources.

Many agri-worlds also produce "luxury" foodstuffs for wealthier consumers across their region, such as beverages, meats, stimulants/depressants, etc. Because these industries are on a planetary scale, they can produce these specialty products in large enough quantities to trade with other planets for things they aren't able to produce themselves.

What I mean is, they took on the hive worlds population, and moved them off planet.

The Imperium only needs agri-worlds because its retarded, medieval, and inefficient. If you have fusion, terraforming and spaceships, you are not hampered by the lack of arable land. You can even make underground and orbital farms. There's zero need for entire worlds dedicated to agriculture.

Remember everything in the Imperium is a stop gap measure. They're still ineffably fucked from the Heresy, because everything collapsed before they could even hope to complete the logistical challenges of their rapid spread during the Crusade (remember the Emperor had been banking on the rapid and safe transport of the webway). At the same time they stubbornly refuse to cede territory wherever possible, and launch expansion (or reconquest) crusades whenever possible. In order to deal with this, and to fill the massive vaccume left by the break down of the Legions, they founded the Imperial Guard and Navy.

In order to fulfill the manpower and material requirements of this massive undertaking, they devoted entire worlds to producing the manpower and manufacturing necessary to create such an inconceivably vast army with far reduced capabilities than what they had during the Crusades since everything was wrecked. In order to supply these manufacturing worlds with materials they devote whole worlds to fucking mining and resource gathering. In order to feed all these people (remember Space Marines don't need as much food as Humans, they can get by on protein nutrient gruel and also eat just about anything) they devote whole worlds to agriculture. In order to protect these worlds they raise MORE armies. In order to supply these armies they devote entire worlds to manpower and manufacturing, etc, so forth, ad infinitude. You see the problem? The Imperium is an ever expanding bubble.

And all bubbles eventually pop

Gee, it's almost like the Imperium is supposed to be backwards, inefficient and unintelligent

This is why ghazghkull needs to win. Orks are self sufficent, self sustaining, and the rightful heirs of the universe.
Their psykers don't even feed warp entities.

Would you rather live in 1970's USSR or Present day Saudi Arabia?

Ah, but entire worlds dedicated to farming not only gives you food, but taxes and potential soldiers as well.

Saudi arabia, i'm a fat white male of mixed european dissent, I could GTFO.

>The Imperium only needs agri-worlds because its retarded, medieval, and inefficient
I don't think anyone is going to argue on this.

With or without a head?

Also, I said LIVE in either or. I'm guessing your average Joe Scmhoe from some butthole of a planet in the Imperium gets the option to fly away elsewhere in the galaxy.

>With or without a head?

>daemon shows up
>kill it
>get riches or mind wipe

this happens often

Thanks for posting this user. You don't have the bit where the Tau commander sacrifices himself to protect fleeing Imperial citizens from being shelled by the Imperium do you?

Another stupid tauposting thread that assumes the Imperium is homogeneous. Move along folks.

>Purged for touching a Daemon.

You get killed because you saw a demon.

For the most part, yes.
It used to be that through imperium had several world's that were like modern day earth but with laser guns and space ships but for a time now it has been so grimderp even in civilized worlds that the rigid castes of the tau seem like a libertarian paradise.
Even before, the tau have robots and they're cool. Also higher quality of life.
So even if you're a governor the greater good is tempting as that means no crushing imperial tithes.

Depends on how strong you are, and what Inquisitor is doing the interrogation.

Most people who can reliably kill Daemons are a valuable asset, and Inquisitors don't like to waste assets that still have a potential use.

Granted, this means you're typically working for the Inquisition now, but then again it's better than a bolt to the brain.

>It has been a retarded abd laughable concept in scifi.
ohmyitsretarded.jpg

technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?Bnum=1735
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trantor

>killing a hive world of trillions
>the same as taking over a hive world of trillions and giving them a better quality of life

Bruh? Isn't that the whole discussion? Tau CAN'T do it.

The Empire in the Foundation is just slightly less decadent than the Imperium. An the numbers are actually way off, Trantor could have twice the population and still not need agri-worlds. This is one of the few times that Asimov, otherwise an author quite good with numbers was way off.

Since when do Hive Worlds have a population in trillions? Weren't they meant to be billions?

Their propaganda is extremely advanced.

The Imperium has millions of planets, with billions of people on them. You also have to factor in the massive amount of waste generated by bureaucracy, corruption, perils of the warp, and run of the mill incompetence. There's also the fact that the Imperium is basically engaged in nonstop total war, so its production capacity of all types is turned up to 11.

>You can even make underground and orbital farms.
Nobody says they don't have those.

reminds me of the propaganda "film" from the recent Phil Kelly book

Everything about 40k is propaganda.

I'm sure of that.

the empire is big enough that you have multiple billions enjoying virtually all known standards of living, including things like tribal civilizations.

The Tau are on the opposite, they are quite centralized and standards of living are more homogenous. They small sizes actually allows them to control how people lives, but like pic says the just limit their human adquisitions to retaining their previous lifestyle.

It was Tau making literally marketing propaganda

Size is not the only problem of the Imperium. The other problem is backwards technology because everything is scavenged from previous age. You have FTL spaceships next to diesel-run tractor.

The Tau are as grimdark as the plot demands.

-Thorpe

So not at all?
Worst that happened is that tau commander butchering valhallans and making the ethereals upset about it.

I like that bit. It tells the reader a bit about the true state of the tau empire. Making most of the "winning soundly everywere" into total propaganda.

In universe this does indeed make people go nuts if they are not prepared.

They still relocated the population of 14 hive cities in a day or so, their bullshit knows no limits.

Points is that nothing in 40k is "hard science". They even have ftl! So stop forcing it in.

>So stop forcing it in.
Yeah, user! Stop raping sci-fan!

Aye that was complete bullshit.

I kind of see it as Quality of Life vs. Freedom of Choice. Tau have better living standards but ruthlessly regulate how you live while the Imperium is often dogshit but doesn't care how you live your life.

I can relocate someone to the bottom of the ocean with nothing but a pair of concrete boots. Doesn't mean he's gonna be living a better life.

Nothing can stop the rape train.

It wouldn't be hard considering how terrible the quality of life is for most of a hive's population. Making sure the nutrient paste dispensers are working and cutting the workday down to 14 hours would be an increase in the standard of living for a lot of them.

It wasn't really propaganda if it was collaborated with the inquisitor's commentary and actual Imperial tyranny in the book.

>Making sure the nutrient paste dispensers are working and cutting the workday down to 14 hours would be an increase in the standard of living for a lot of them.

BOY THAT TAU UTOPIA SURE SOUNDS GREAT I LOVE OUR NEW TAU OVERLORDS

>doesn't care how you live your life
Yes it does.
You work your station, you worship the emperor, or you die.

There was a time when "breed and work" sounded like a promise of utopia to many people one or two generations before us.

user, drones go into danger spots so you don't risk your limbs.
There's food on the table that is not made of dead people, and you get to sleep 8 hours a day. Not to mention you no longer have to cut off your finger to marry your waifu.
That's unimaginable paradise to imperial citizens.

>If you were a peaceful agri-world farmer or some shit, life doesn't even change at all to begin with. "Life with Tau is better" is a retarded meme.

You are a retarded meme. IG convert to the Tau frequently. We have a whole story about an former IG utterly loyal to the Tau because the way they treated him, his men, and the population.

And the goddamn stupidity of you motherfuckers about hive world and populations continues. It's confirmed that Tau cities can support billions of souls living in comfortable conditions. This is one of the reasons why the Tau are utterly not imprssed with Hive worlds and see them as evidence of the stupidity of mankind. How can a galatic spanning race like that build worlds dismally like this? The Tau conquered two hive worlds and have relocated billions upon billions of the hiveworlds of the hiveworlds populations to their core worlds where it's said they are receiving free social services such as medical care, education, and government houses. When the ex-IG guy was talking he said because of this the choice between the Imperium and Tau Empire is not a choice. The Tau consideration for the humans under them shows their, ironically, their humanity in comparison to the higher up humans who are really the guys who look down upon mankind.

The Tau have the science and the means to make the lives of countless humans better. Give them an actual future. The Imperium not only denies the Tau but its own people. So I guess this is why you have to lie about the Tau. Because as long as they exist, the Imperium will be objectively the worst.

>hur dur all my nonsensical 6E retcons Tau stronk

Nigger Tau shouldn't even exist to begin with. You can't travel to another star system to do the first sphere of expansion without FTL.

Continued....also you are a faggot for going with the agri-worlds being nice meme. They are slave plantations with shit technology much like everything else in the Imperium. A fucking galactic empire cannot into automated farming. Instead using slave labor in almost everything.

is this satire?

They use slaves to load spaceship guns why are you so surprised. It's the whole fucking point of the setting.

But they do. Deal with it.

I wouldn't trust the Imperium to build an outhouse let alone a superstructure meant to house the multitudes of mankind. The Imperium religion is waste and inefficiency.

I was gonna add that to my post but dropped it because I already made my point.

>It's the whole fucking point of the setting.

And the point of the Tau, well one of their many points, is to show the Imperium that there is always a better way.

Can't do that better way when daemons want your souls.

College of psykers. Flunk and the emperor eats you.
>even Bretonnian peasants have better quality of life than imperial citizens
I think only skaven-slaves have it just as bad.

The Farsight novel opens with the Tau spreading their commercial technology and merchandise ti the Imperial worlds they encountered. Among these over the counter tech is medical technology that saw that all of those Imperial worlds natural diseases eradicated. Even bringing the infant mortality of these worlds to zero.

In theory, We know that the Admech has the access to sciences, tech, and the production power to produce similar technology and spread them across the Imperium significantly decreasing the suffering of mankind.

But do they do it? Do they care about mankind?No, as the Farsight novel put it, they care only about the idea of mankind not the actual mamnkind. They only care for it because it makes them feels superior and forwards their self interest. Farsight could not comprehend such logic. That's like pure evil. To have the power to do good but choose not to out disregard.

Say what you will about Chaos but at least some of them (Nurgle) genuinely care about the masses under them.

Literally no one liked the admech in that book, it was kinda funny.
The Inquisitor and marines IIRC had small monologues of how they distrust/dislike the admech

And then they walked in lava and died.
They're a silly bunch, but I guess rough cybernetics does a number on the psyche.

You tell me.