What are the typical disciplinary punishments in your setting? How do officers keeps soldiers in line?

What are the typical disciplinary punishments in your setting? How do officers keeps soldiers in line?

Fear keeps the local systems in line.

Blowjobs.

Lashes. Keel hauling for the grave offenses.
Capital crimes usually involve being hung from the gibbet until dead.

don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed.

Rape

Keel hauling is pretty fatal

They are docked points in the leaderboard and, if necessary, may be taken out of their team temporarily for reconditioning in case whatever it was was so serious that it could signify a mental corruption.

keel-hauling is an execution

Genetic Mutilation for the most grave offences (murder, rape, betrayal, heresy, ecc). Psychic torture and indoctrination for minor sins/crimes.

G-giving or receiving?

To be honest I don't think 'Keelhauling' as in dragging them under the ship was an actual thing.

Like only the Dutch navy employed it officially and in actual fact it was more like witch style dunking into the ocean.

Wtf is genetic mutilation?

>What are the typical disciplinary punishments in your setting?
a span of time in the isocubes, up to summary execution.
How do officers keeps soldiers in line?
a span of time in the isocubes, up to summary execution.

In the real world yes.

Don't forget about banishing insubordinate members to the mines on Titan.

Remember that Judges aren't allowed to have sex ever barring the unorthodox undercover 'Wally Squad' who follow much different regulations to blend into the populace and Psi Judges due to their different circumstances.

Dredd is a pure waifu.

The uncertainty is what maintains the discipline.

>that pic
What is this, opposite day?

That aside, lashes up to gallows for peasants, confiscation of property up to death through beheading for nobility.

A fighting mean can avoid a death sentence by serving as a pike cutter in three consecutive battles.

I think I hate this movie a lot less than everyone else from pretty much mainlining it as much as possible as a kid.

Anytime I play a death knight/blackguard style character I name him Damodar.

>Remember that Judges aren't allowed to have sex ever
The fuck is that about.

Judges aren't meant to be human beings, they are supposed to be incorruptible stonefaced arbiters of law; Judge, Jury & Executioner all in one.

You are really surprised that this is part of their regulations when they are a fascist super-police that controls society in a ruined world after our original laws and governments broke down?

>"Justice has a price, That price is freedom."

I forgot that scene from Starship Troopers.

I assume it comes after he gets his squaddie killed in the middle of a training exercise?
But then again having a training exercise that involves turret bots and the firing of live ammo, in THE MIDDLE OF THE EXERCISE YARD, WITH NO REAL WALL OR BACKSTOP PREVENTING STUFF HITTING ALL THE OTHER DOUCEHBAGS IN SHORT RUNNING AROUND always seemed pretty dumb.

The evil empire in my current campaign thoroughly confused humans interrogating prisoners because they have astoundingly few physical punishments and don't have any time for theatrical public executions.

Their warships have large crews. Any crewman who fucks up simply gets shunted down to cleaning toilets or greasing the engine or something and one of the many other people gets the opportunity for a field promotion.

Since they're also a quite class based society getting shunted from officer down to janitor basically means your family is a laughing stock for a while until they can disown you or you unfuck your situation.

Thus fear of social ostracism and ridicule is more effective than whipping someone bloody or summarily executing them (and the ultimate humiliation would be being transferred from the bridge of a battleship to janitor on, say, a mail boat). Dead bodies freak people out and cause bother. Crew sent to sickbay to recover from a beating aren't efficient. Financial ruin and social humiliation are more terrifying.

>always seemed pretty dumb.
the movie was dumb as hell when it came to actual army stuff

They lived in a society where you can regrow a leg in hours. It's fine unless you take off your helmet like a fucking civilian.

Cut in pay and rank, extra work or straight up fire them. Empire got plenty of soldiers to spare.

3 glimpses into your own soul, its worse than it sounds.

Cutting off a finger, killing your horse, hanging. Discipline is paramount for a working army.

Sent of to the prison colony guarded by the giant robots to mine crystals, yep.

Now heres the challenge for you, set the type of governments and their general "alignment" they are.

It's dumb because the director is a hack that read like a single page of the book, got butthurt about how it disagreed with his political views, and then tried to make a satire. In the book things work reasonably realistically, the Mobile Infantry are all armed and power armored to the teeth, and they have air support and artillery and shit.

Summary execution on one end, medals on the other.

>Harsh language
>Soul destruction
>Night in the galley

You guys are aware that it was a comedy, right? A satire? Like, you're debating the internal logic of Man With The Naked Gun police department here.

Maybe they should have put a laugh track in it because every adult being horribly maimed and officers wearing literal Nazi outfits was too subtle apparently.

Mine is a bunch of city states with varying traditions so things often range from corporal punishment, to banishment, to execution. The one I usually have my players hang around is a little lawless but they do forced labor.

For keeping soldiers in line it also depends. More feudal sort of places will usually have strong hierarchical systems where ranks and honors matter. This makes it very easy to just demerit someone you'll need fighting in a week. However there's a strong presence of Condottieri and many captains have the sort of sadism that gets people far in that business.

gotta keep your dogs angry, user. so you keep 'em starving, and then when you let them of the leash, they're ready to kill

They tear apart your genome, making you unable to reproduce.

Apparently.

>It's dumb because the director is a hack that read like a single page of the book, got butthurt about how it disagreed with his political views, and then tried to make a satire. In the book things work reasonably realistically, the Mobile Infantry are all armed and power armored to the teeth, and they have air support and artillery and shit.

But the book is, itself, a lot more complicated than the USMC would have you believe. Throughout the book, Heinlein makes it clear through both implicit and explicit information that not only is Rico's picture of history absolutely fucked in the ass, but the idea that the Federation is the perfect system of government due to their methods of enfranchisement is also destabilized.

In a lot of ways, Heinlein is parodying his own masculine ideals. If you want an actual picture of Heinlein's ideology, you want Time Enough for Love. The Federation in Starship Troopers is exactly everything Heinlein despised in centralized government.

40k, so everything, really.

But specific to my party, it is my intention to show their Inquisitor being perfectly willing to sock acolytes in the face or gut or whatever for fucking up (skill roll fuckups). Then, say, a PC fucks up in a way that he acts deliberately against the will of the Inquisitor (killing a surrendering cultist who gave him a nasty cut on the face or other selfish bullshit, depriving Inquisitor of an interrogable subject). He expects to get beat up or whatever. Inquisitor jams a serrated, evil knife through his hand. If acolyte sees this coming and tries to dodge it, entire squad except him gets the mark he'd have gotten under coercion by Inquisitorial Storm Troopers. Whoever gets the wound(s), the party medic is instructed to patch it up, but the Inquisitor will be disappointed if there's no scar.

>thinking Veerhoeven read even a single page
top laff

I disagree with your analysis.

While Heinlein definitely expresses contrary sentiments in other books, and his real life personal opinion may be more libertarian than anything else, I don't think you can say he was parodying the fascist ethic in starship troopers.

While it is taken for granted that Rico's personal lens is imperfect, and Heinlein intends that, I think Heinlein also genuinely tries to justify the philosophy, and I think Heinlein is so great because even though he personally disagreed, he made a genuine effort to understand and write from that perspective, as if he believed it.

Unfortunately, he was too busy having L. Ron Hubbard fuck his wife to write something that works. The movie is the best thing to come out of the book.

To be accurate Judges aren't 'killers'.
If a judge gets too free with the 'Death Sentences' for every perp they encounter then they get investigated by Internal affairs, possibly leading to a one-way trip to Titan.

These people are extreme lawmen, not butchers.

All of my keks