What's the best way for a spellcaster to achieve immortality, and why is it lichdom?

What's the best way for a spellcaster to achieve immortality, and why is it lichdom?

I wouldn't call it the best, because it can be morally objectionable and your death aura makes it hard to have living friends.

How's your genitals?

>not undergoing minor apotheosis and turning yourself into an immortal daimon that dwells outside the mortal world
Shortsighted, as is typical for the death-obsessed.

>Literally have to sell your anus to Orcus or a similiar demon lord to become one
>Have to feed souls to a phylactery on a regular basis
No thank you, I'll keep being a vampire instead.

Its not though, its the cheapest and easiest to get because of the sacrifices you make (emotions, drive and literally anything that makes living worth it.)
Even vampirism is better and thats a curse.

Have fun with that sunburn, Vlad.

Is argue that vampyrism is worse.
Just because you get to stay pretty is no justification for the downsides.
Endgame for a lich is to shed the mortal body and travel the stars

Real wizard's way:
> Kick some god out and take this stuff, immortality included.
Acceptable:
> Ascend to (Demi)godhood by yourself
Pleb-tier or temporary measure:
> Constant polymorph (loli or dragon)
> Immortality elixir
Do you even wizard?:
> Vampirism
> Lichdom
> Selling your ass to some outsiders

What about the Clone trick?

Why is 20 levels of Monk acceptable tier?

That's just becoming an outsider, not even a demi god

>Vampire
>Nosferatu
>Ghast
>Mummy
>
>
>
>Lich

Never rely on Wish working juuust right. Also, repeating the process once in muggle-lifespan is a waste of time. Slightly better than being a sucker or canned skeleton though.

Wish only screw you over if you do something other than replicate lower level spells.

Raw says it duplicates another spell.
I don't see why any dm who isn't specifically trying to fuck over his players would mess with that part.
Sure, if you're trying to do something else it may mess up, but it should be assumed that you worked hard to even get access to a spell that makes material components obsolete

>he's such a shitty wizard that he needs outside help to become immortal

>Immortality elixir
I'll take this one. How do I make it?

How would a wizard go about making female clones of himself?

Western recipe is the Philosopher's Stone. Any decent alchemist can make one. Cheap (for a wizard) aging-stopper.
But I preferred the Eastern Immortality Pill while I still needed them. Sure running after dragons to get their testicles is a bother, but it strengthens beard hair like nothing else.

Divayth isn't immortal. One of the reason he's interested in corprus is because it represents true immortality, but as he admits himself, corprus is divine in nature and far beyond mortal wizardry.

Vampirism and lichdom are the loser ways of avoiding the afterlife, but even they're better than being so much of a schmuck that you actually forfeit your existence on the prime material

Better options include but are not limited to:
>>Use of magic to change your race to something that naturally lives forever. Dragons, any Outsider, elementals, some humanoid species depending on setting.
Why would you bother being a vampire when you can just stack templates that are purely positive with no downsides whatsoever that also come with zero stigma. If becoming a lich is on the table, any of these options should be trivial to you.

>>Gain Divine ranks
This is wholly dependent on your setting, campaign and GM, but frankly if he's letting you cast epic level arcane magic your game is already so fucking high power level there's no real reason to forbid it. Personally I think this makes a better consolation prize for martials and semi-casters that manage to reach epics since casters have even more busted options. Letting the fighter become a hercules expy or the rogue a trickster god that steals the moon out of the sky lets them feel better about the fact the nerd with 30 int is stronger than they are

>>live in a sealed personal demi-plane outside of time and send clone bodies housing your consciousness out to do everything risk free
Sure, why not. This method can be combined with any of the above for extra layers of security, and is a cornerstone of "wizards doing OP shit".

>(emotions, drive and literally anything that makes living worth it.)
I mean, if there's one thing liches DON'T lack, it's drive. They're always trying to achieve more knowledge or power or both.

You can make an argument for mummification, but vampirism is just shit tier if you want to actually accomplish anything in your unlife. Heard of the vampire who ascended to godhood(or even made a decent attempt)? Me neither.

With Dragon Ascendant you can gain divine ranks after you become a dragon, giving you legit immortality. Plus, you can PAO+Wish yourself into being a dragon forever without outside help (unless you count Wish itself as outside help). Though, you can always have them cast for you, if you're fantastically rich and know a freindly and very bored wizard of sufficient level.

Depends on the setting

Why does it matter? I can polymorph into something with any genitals I want.

>>>Use of magic to change your race to something that naturally lives forever. Dragons, any Outsider, elementals, some humanoid species depending on setting.
You still die if someone kills you. A lich just reforms at his phylactery, and if you're not a retard no one will ever find it.

Lichdom was originally a fallback for wannabe-gods who realized they wouldn't have enough time to ascend.

>If becoming a lich is on the table, any of these options should be trivial to you.
Outside 5e(which, as we all know, is terrible) becoming a lich is probably the easiest way of achieving immortality, actually. Also, dragons don't even live forever.

They can actually. As long as they find a way to heal CON damage, then the Dragon literally never dies.

It's got the choice to become landmass and breeding grounds, A deific paragon of it's racial alignment, Dracolichdom, Vampirism, and a slew of other batshit insane crap on the table, like become a Demon.

>They can actually. As long as they find a way to heal CON damage, then the Dragon literally never dies.
Where do you get THAT from? Dragonomicon, by the way, simply says that their constitution score drops by 1, NOT that the dragon takes 1 point of constitution damage(or drain).

Hm? oh. Well it drops constantly anyhow. Klauth found the workaround by eating Dragon-veal.

Why would anyone want to become a god? You just get more restrictions heaped on you than when you were mortal.

>not having any pride in your own genitals

Sounds like magic is just your way of compensating. What? Couldn't buy a porsche?

> Selling your ass to some outsiders

Look your just thinking of a the wrong type of outsider to sell to/ become.

Angels are
+ good looking
+ much of them are shapeshifters
+ looked up to
+ have powerful abilities
+ have excellence options for free time

Downsides
- have to look foolish mortals
- have to have a sense of right and wrong to became one (no wizards, sorry)
- have to use said sense of right and wrong
+ - have to fight demons
+ - a lot of gossip with other angels
+ - when being remade to into a angel risk of becoming the little sister your (re)creator always wanted or other things along those lines

Put your trust into a nice god and do things in his or her name. Do not avoid the afterlife, go there in style. Try the Cleric way.

After all what is the worst that can happen...

Had to post this.

> wizard tries the Cleric way
> fails at it because no sense of right or wrong
> but still tries hard
> goes before chosen deity
> the deity thinks long and hard
> gives the wizard his dream of becoming a little girl
> but then puts the wizard into time out for her to think over what she did in her life