Why did GW copy the terrible AoS rules to 40k instead of making those two games play like their one good game(lotr)?

Why did GW copy the terrible AoS rules to 40k instead of making those two games play like their one good game(lotr)?

Please tell me that's not a real picture from AoS

They decided to copy the game that sold

Sorry friend.

>wood elves are now tree people piloting wooden tau mechs.

No, they are not. Wood elves are separate faction

Where did they go right?

There's only one that looks like that, and she's borderline Khornate

I don't know - treant mech sounds fun - gonna run in my d&d game right next to kobolds that use motobikes in a sewer to run away from undead

That looks fucking awesome.

That sounds radical honestly, 40k RPG with statblocks from WHFRPG would honestly be the simplest way of getting Skaven on motorbikes and treants, with decent shooty aspects as well, just make your guys hive gangers

WAIT did they put AoS rules into 40k
does this mean that for the first time since RT we can play Dark Elves vs DEldar?

the mount model is fucking awful irl

No, theres a couple of borrowed mechanics (moral and keywords). But overall they're different, incompatible systems.

The basic rules follow the same ideas, but they're not compatible any more than 2nd ed 40k was to 5th ed WFB.

Curse you gee dubya

They're actually very, very close to compatible. Only a few tweaks would be needed.

The statlines are fairly different. You'd be better off starting with the old WFB unit rules.

Oh snap

Litteraly all you need is to make wounding work the same way.

There is nothing wrong with Age of Sigmar Rules. They make the game faster, I know people liked things Warhammer Fantasy drew from historical wargames, but you can still play Fantasy Warhammer can you not? Making 40K more simple rule-based is good, mind you the game was simple before just it had rules for certain situations that you could simply ignore they existed. When I played 7th it was litteraly the same as 8th. i had to know the same volume of rules. Only difference now is that I need es caculating, I find that meh but its not the end of the world.

What's wrong with it? Drycha Hamadreth is badass.

Oh let me guess, you're one of those few people STILL salty about WFB so you just criticise the everlasting fuck out of anything remotely related to AoS in the desperate hope that one day it will come back or something.

No it's not

Thank you!

Too many contrarian hipster cucks on this board. AoS and the new 8th edition 40k are the best thing to happen to both games in over 10 years

WFB has come back in the total war series.

>He seriously thinks things were better before
>Still hating on AoS as if anything will change
>Nostalgia goggles

Thanks for reminding me why I hate coming to Veeky Forums

>come back in the shitty modern Total War
>all the races but 4 are locked behind DLC

yeah, such a comeback. Fuck all TW games past Medieval 2, they're casual garbage.

Lotr sold more during its time. Would have sold more again had the Hobbit movies not been utter cancer.

That's a mystery that I mull over all the fucking time.
My friends and I, who still play 4th edition 40k, have started experimenting with a LotR turn style and heroic points to alter when certain units can act in the turn structure.
It's pretty fun, although we've only played three games.

It is quite easy to run actually - bike is easy to add (I just give movement speed and some hp for an item, as well as some fluff for refuling), while treants are just taking it from the book and giving fighter levels - overall it took me...15 minutes, which is faster then teaching rpg noods I play with new system (However they have not been tainted by tg so I have a lot of fun)

As for guns, who needs them we got magic and guns from DMG

>there is nothing wrong with a game so utterly braindead it's worse than Fantasy 8th edition
It's not a simplicity thing you mong, if KoW can be a simple yet tactical game then why did GW fuck it up in such a massive scale that they needed a brand new rule book and several back to back releases just to keep themselves in the black with Kirby's malevolence?

>16 factions
>9 are playable without DLC
>Free shit being patched in regularly, with even the paid DLC adding updated stuff to the campaign for free

Please tell us more about how Medieval 2 is the greatest game because it was good when it came out. I'll keep playing the better game.

Nah, Veeky Forums is good, just ignore the idiots

>just ignore the AoScrowd
We all try.

Anyone I've met and actually physically spoke to that hates on AoS because it replaced the old setting, never actually played WHFB in any meaningful capacity.

That probably speaks volumes about why AoS is doing better than it, really.

It's not doing better, it's just advertised louder.

I tried playing TW:W, and it's maps are tiny compared to M2, with jack-shit manouvering options, and the economy and city control is laughably limited. It's worse than jump from Civ 4 to 5.

>not posting her feet
One job user.

I'm sure 9th age will overtake it in popularity any day now.

To change the metagame every so often, so people have to buy new minis or play weak shit (or not play at all).

I have no problem with either - I only really stick for lore and nice pictures and while one is being "polished" by butthurt fans, other is worked on by GW, so for me it's a win-win as I get more fun stuff to read

After the end times and gathering storm, and everything that is Tau fluff, GW isn't exactly the best for lore. Then again black library is wasn't that great before so it checks out in a rather morbid way.

I prefer the premise of AoS background more than the WFB. Mostly cause Flintloque/Slaughterloo did history-with-elves better.

>city control is laughably limited
Just like all total war games then!

I have a hard time believing this since it entails liking the end times, which is the one thing worse than AoS is as a game.

I quit WFB before end-times, and I honestly never bothered checking what happened with it. Far as I'm concerned, it's a hard reebot and I treat it as such.

What's it like being a teenager who only just came to the hobby, and a faggot?

It's less a reboot and more a bunch of dumb retcons. Like Mannfred coming back to life. Or Malekith being the true king despite getting his nuts roasted off.

I'm kind of hoping they relaunch fantasy with a justification that the chaotic nature of the universe means everything happens some way or other before it plays out all over again, and that's the final victory that chaos always gets, where even in some universe where they lose, everything always gets rebooted anyway and they get to try again, and that there is no canon except what you cook up with your buddies.

They won't because MUH TRADEMARKS

Has anyone actually seen any evidence AoS is selling?

The only metric I've ever seen is that ICv2 company who do a top lists of various
"geek" markets like CCGs and Wargames.

Somehow AoS has only been on one quarter's charts in 3rd or 4th since release, whilst WHFB was basically a permanent fixture.

Seems like a lot of effort wasted if they've replaced an entire franchise with something that's either selling just as well or, more likely, worse.

Look at this cuck blaming today's issues on the youth. Go home, hobbit!

There is a GW financial reports where they tell explicitly that Aos is selling better than WHFB did in years.

But how much of that is actually for AoS?
I still buy some things like ogres and empire warmachines but I'm not playing AoS.

You sure mate? I try to read the half-yearly reports on GW Corporate and they never break stuff down line-by-line.

They don't even have to undo the round base cancer, just reprint the DIY movement tray set or the WoTR trays and do the rules.
It's still sad we never got anything for the armies east of the mountains of mourne.

From their 2015-2016 annual report:
"We made progress in what was another busy and rewarding year. We started the financial year off with a huge product launch;
Warhammer: Age of Sigmar, one of the biggest changes we've ever made to one of our core universes. Our design to manufacture was
outstanding, over-delivering in terms of original concept art to final manufactured models, producing some of the best models we've ever
made. The simplified rules, supporting the models for those who like to play, made it much easier to get started. We learnt some valuable
lessons during the year on how to deliver product system changes on this scale and as we released more of the range in the second half of
the year, we finished the year with sales of Warhammer: Age of Sigmar at a higher rate than Warhammer has enjoyed for several years."

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they are actually 9th age sales. Look around at all those 9th age tournament and games there are everywhere.

I see more 9th age and KoW than AoS.

Yeah, sure.

>we finished the year with sales of Warhammer: Age of Sigmar at a higher rate than Warhammer has enjoyed for several years

No numbers then, and "higher rate" is a weasel phrase. "Rate" could be all sorts of metrics, for example in units of sale not £s, or just complete waffle.

Rate compared "to what" is important too. Imaginably the intro boxes did have a few sales when they were released towards the back end of 2015, so if they sold 100,000 in four months that could be extrapolated to ~8000/week over a full year, even though in reality it died down.

>insane bloodthirsty tree titties riding inside an ent filled with murder-wasp hives

If you don't think that's the hypest shit get the fuck out of my face

The exact line was in their 2016 annual report is 'we finished the year with sales of Warhammer: Age of Sigmar at a higher rate than Warhammer has enjoyed for several years'.

This has got to be positive, but tells us fuck all. What periods of time are we actually comparing here? What are actual profits from AoS like, after taking into account the additional marketing and product development for the masses of products being released at that time. How much of the purchases are from players interested in AoS vs buying to finish off WHFB armies or for other games. There's a lot of important info here that we're not being told, and that GW may not even know.

Having said that, it's likely that AoS is doing ok iirc from more recent reports. I do wonder how well WHFB would have been doing if it had received the same investment however, and had some of its issues fixed rather than being mothballed.

AoS isn't even in the top 5 most sold wargames. It's beaten by shit like the utter clownfiesta of Warmahordes Mk3 fucking Armada

I do miss the old world, and all it's gods and factions.

But I don't begrudge AoS

>I do wonder how well WHFB would have been doing if it had received the same investment

Poorly because all the players already had a full collection of mini's and no need to buy more

You know that those figures are only for third party stores? Meaning that they are just a little fraction of GW sales while being the totality of everybody else?

>cuck

Literal child confirmed.

Thic

I wouldn't either if they hadn't squatted WHF.

>sexy murderous sociopaths
Such a new and refreshing concept for the game.

Which are GW's main channel by far in the US. Beople sure as fuck aren't using the few stores or the webstore to get their stuff.

>it's not new for warhammer

And your point is...?

Med2 is really modable, wh:tw is not. I love wh fantasy but wh:tw is casual shit.

It didn't need the quickening to happen. Also it looks like some sort slaneeshi dreadnought which isn't good.

>a treelord but less cool
it's shit

the not-treekin with fuckhuge bows are cool, though

Not to that extend. Granted it's better than empire.

>mods
So Skyrim is a better game than Daggerfall.

How would you tastefully add big tiddied monsters?

Considering that wh fantasy did go with next to no advertisement for several years. AoS doing better with the spotlight it got is no suprise.

GW let fantasy die.

Neither of those are total war games.

However if the former had an europa barbarorum and the latter did not, yes the former would be better.

>40k has game series made of it, easily GW's most popular ip and played game
>Fantasy only had some psx titles, battlemarch, and a forgotten mmo
I'm now picturing a Warhammer gacha game. That'd be right up GW's alley.

>unironically using badass
Hello Randy

I think he meant it literally. Look at that lack of butt, that is one bad ass.

>GW's design studio since they started using CAD

>How would you tastefully add big tiddied monsters?
they already did that with two scoops alarielle, who is cool

sticking tits on trees is dumb and takes away from the coolness of them being trees

I said monsters, not elves.
Wait, elves are monstergirls right? In which case I point more to her thighs than her breasts as a point of interest.

Ugly enough to be a battleborn character.

Are you 14 ?

>Yeah, I'm pretty sure they are actually 9th age sales. Look around at all those 9th age tournament and games there are everywhere
You could say the same for AoS. It's litteraly less played than kings of war at this point.

To be fair, that is the target demographic for AoS.

Not a huge fan of all the things AoS did (8e is a nicer system, though they are very similar), but the cut-down on unecessary complexity was a good thing.

Now if only they'd make it so Psykers aren't totally fucked... I'm not asking for return to 7e, but come on GW...

I weep because there is a shitload of good ideas in those minis, but the result is a clusterfuck.

I swear to god, steampunk has to be the worst aesthetic ever invented. Priestly must have been right about everyone creative having left GW a while ago.

1)Daggerfall crashed every 90 minutes.
2)You didn't actually play Daggerfall.

>CHECK OUT HOW QUIRKY AND BADASS THIS THING IS, DON'T ALL OF MY ADJECTIVES MAKE IT MORE APPEALING?

This is what you sound like.

How the fuck is Armada in 4th place?

user, AoS has orks in non powered mega armor with non powered power klaws.

I did.
I got out of the dungeon, then wandered in the overworld for 3 hours.
Wasn't as fun as doing it in Arena.

Daggerfall never crashed for me, but it wasn't as fun as Arena.

And now you are talking bullshit - daggerfall is better in all ways, still not great, but much better

Lack of competition
Good track record with previous space game
Rogue 1 triggered the space battle itch

Makes sense.

I wish someone would play it in my area, though.