Drows or Dark Elves? Which ones are better? Which ones do you prefer?

Drows or Dark Elves? Which ones are better? Which ones do you prefer?

Drow. They have more definition, more going for them.

Dark Elves. Drow are such comically dysfunctional assholes that it's a wonder some zealots haven't wiped them out in a Crusade already

Dark Elves.
Drow are just laughably stupid. They're like a parody of themselves with how childishly edgy and stupidly dysfunctional they are. Anyone who thinks they're in any way better than dark elves is has to be a moron with the mindset of a teenager.

Oh boy, another thread where OP just wanted to put an anime elf in the catalog.

Not really, no. I tried a warhammer one first, but it was too big.

>comically dysfunctional assholes
That's the point.

Llolth literally does it for shits and giggles to fuck with them.

As if, there are more than enough pictures. You put zero effort into this.

"A god did it" is a bad worldbuilding, especially when it comes to society.

>put an anime elf in the catalog
And there is nothing wrong with this

Hey! Record of Lodoss War is cool.

Dunmer they are always best type of dark skinned elf.

I prefer them medium rare.

That's something we can all agree on.

>Anything from TES
>Good
DUDE CHIM LMAO

Yeah, they always make for quality threads.

It's better than Tolkien fantasy world #225.

No topic, picture or story makes quality threads 100% of the time

Dark Elves. Drow in anything inevitably leads to someone making a misunderstood Drow ranger named Drizzle Du'orden

Oh, the famous Dzirrle Do'durden

It's litteraly better than almost all fantasy tabletop rpgs settings.

Being invented by a crackhead high on meth does not make it good.

It also does not make it bad.

So you know nothing about it except memes about CHIM and muh druggy cuckbirde.

>less than 1% of the lore is silly and drug fueled
>this invalidates the other 99%

I dunno, it makes sense for an incredibly powerful demon lord to shape a culture around itself especially a dysfunctional retarded one, . It probably regularly interferes with them and their surroundings to make sure they thrive to a certain point.
When you have gods that can interact with the world it's inevitable that one of them would fuck with a society somewhere.

So you've never played anything older than Skyrim because graphics doesn't look up to date

>TES
>good

kill yourself

>ctrl+f
>No results for 'brown'
You let me down Veeky Forums

You sounds so mature.

Oh no, the thread is on-topic!

I can't let user down

Shit taste and samefagging dood

And even in skyrim, all lore is decent, only funny thing was Lusty argonian maid really and even that is treated as a joke in the universe (Also ironically I first time go that book in morrowind playing an argonain battlemage that used spears, I fell down from the chair laughing once I got that)

You can shit on Skyrim for many reasons, but the lore itself hasn't really changed, it's the same werid stuff, you only have to dig deep enough to find it.

One is a magical realm race designed by a cuck S&M dominatrix fetishist.
The other is just boring normal elves but with a slight tan.

Dunmer best elf

>The other is just boring normal elves but with a slight tan
Nobody is talking about these.

Yes, but I never said skyrim is bad (Morrowind is better, but skyrim is really good).

Also all the weird lore for the better - because fuck generic tolkien fantasy, I like the lizard people that were created by ancient intelligent trees that have assassins to keep the peace in the swamps and orcs that are nicest people around

Drow have that luscious femdom going, though no reason any other variety of dark elf can't get into that.

If D&D is so good, then why doesn't it sell as well as TES?

Video games. I'm sure a TES tabletop game would sell worse than D&D.

No shit, every TTRPG sells worse than D&D

Those which are not weeb shit.
Also, Dark Elves can be literally anything in terms of culture and aesthetics, so I'm gonna go with Drow, because they are at least somewhat consistent.

That may be all well and good, but the problem from a worldbuilding sense is how that's at all sustainable.

Dysfunctional, retarded societies like that still have to actually have things like infrastructure and a way for their society to actually get anything done.
Moreover they have to deal with the rest of the world's societies that have probably been fucked with less, and in the case of the Drow that leaves a lot up to suspicion when it comes to how they haven't either just collapsed under their own weight or been deservingly wiped out by a much more organized effort from literally anyone.

Brown elves should be just a type of normal elves. Like elves living in hotter places.

Best evil elves coming through.

Sounds like Dark Elves/brown elves need a distinct culture. What should separate them from normal elves and drow? It'd be easy to just say they're the wood elves, but that's not normally how they are depicted when the do show up.

Dark elves, because Drow are as other anons have mentioned, completely retarded in their societal makeup.

>but the problem from a worldbuilding sense is how that's at all sustainable

I prefer it when it is made apparent that Drow society is unsustainable and on the verge of a very messy collapse due to infighting that PC might be able to tip over.

Drow work better as a single city state with a few outposts rather than as a multi-city civilization.

Desert Elves

>tfw no loving drow mistress

Whichever kind have penises (feminine)

Dark Elves. Reason? You already posted the reason.

Pirotess best elf of all elves forever and ever. EOTAY.

Pre-WoW Night Elves are best. Facial structure and decent proportions are important, Blizzard.

Dark Elves. I blame Lineage 2 and Kingdom Under Fire for this.

That's not a good reason. You probably don't know the race and their culture. Pirotess is A dark elf, but not her entire race. Also she is the flattest character in the whole show, completely one-dimensional, but this is probably what waifufags want.

Enema elves.

>Also she is the flattest character in the whole show

Oh no. She ain't flat, user.

You know exactly what I mean. Even Deedlit had more facettes to her character.

While "Dark Elves" have to defined further, becasue depends a bit on the setting, and while they still are overall just edgy anti-high elves, I prefer them over the walking fetishes and impossible society that is the drow.

Dark Elves, for when you want that good slutty elf pussy but don't want your dick bitten off by spiders.

Yknow I often forget that Dunmer are supposed to be "Dark Elves." They have none of the tropes or trappings of them, besides being kind of weird and having dark skin.

>They have none of the tropes or trappings of them
Slavery, worshipping dark gods, alien creatures in their realms, partly desolate landscape, focus on magic, assassination being a part of their society, rigid society, "cursed" people, brooding assholes.

None of this shows up outside of Morrowind, though, which sort of neuters their "darkness" in most of the games.

In execution I think Drow society is done very poorly. I like the core concepts of the race but they have been taken to such a retarded degree that it makes them a parody. They're fun to play with in a homebrew setting where you can remove Lolth and tone down some of the retardation, but as they are in their canon sources they're pretty stale.

If you mean Aesthetically I prefer Drow, since pitch black/ashen skin actually looks somewhat weird and at least a tad magical and alien looking. I don't really like dark elves just being elves but tan. If ops picture didn't have elf ears there would be nothing to distinguish her from a tanned human chick.

>things thar are based on dunmer culture don't show up outside of their own country
You are a damn genius, user.

The women are also all huge sluts. Don't forget that.

Only when they are young and can't give birth.

Whats the difference

Generally, if I have brown elves, they're not 'dark elves'.

Drow an dark elves fill different niches for me. The drow are creepy dominatrix religious zealots from beneath the ground that constantly scheme and plot against their fellow elves and uphold strict views of racial supremacy. Dark elves are creepy hedonistic nihilistic isolationists from across the sea that constantly raid and enslave other races but don't really care about anything other than enjoying life to the fullest.

Drow worship Lolth or some Lolthesque deity, dark elves worship nothing. Drow view themselves as the apex life form that must dominate the world, dark elves view every living being as equally worthless and fair game. Drow hate their fellow elves for the events that lead to them being exiled under the ground, dark elves don't care about their fellow elves beyond what enjoyment or advantage they can get out of them.

Dark elf is a rather encompassing term for evil elves across several settings, though many probably think about warhammer dark elves when talking about them, whereas drow are specific evil elves associated with certain tropes, from forgotten realms.

Elves can only give birth when they're relatively young not when they get older. Hence Barenziah having to abort Talos' bastard when she was in that phase of her life

Drow are completely idiotic and have no reason to continue to exist outside of one specific setting. Even so, "dark elves" are rarely good either, usually existing just to fill out a "dark/high/wood elf" trio which only exists due to mindlessly imitating D&D.

>Hence Barenziah having to abort Talos' bastard when she was in that phase of her life
Barenziah was just a slut overall and kept being a slut from the time when she couldn't give birth, where it all started. Don't make dig up the source, but I'm pretty sure that it is explicitly stated that they have their promisque phase when they can't give birth. Which of course doesn't stop an individual from being a slut later on as well.

Why do you expect anyone to legitimately consider what you say when you actually use the word "cuck"

>Dunmer barely exhibit any of their own culture in recent TES games

Blame Todd

They should not be a separate race,
since they are just Elves With a Fucking Tan

Yes you do, for a short while anyway...

Dark Elves. When the alternate is the retardation that is allowing Drow into a setting, any other option is a better one.

Psychopathic, sadistic and cruel.

Neither. Melniboneans are superior.

>is how that's at all sustainable.

Lolth. Lolth sustains this. This has been fact since at least 3e's "Drow of the Underdark", which officially laid out that drow society should have collapsed in on itself ages ago, but it doesn't becuase Lolth is the most active god in the pantheon, who puts in personal appearances and personally directs the drow more than any other deity directs any other faction or race.

Having said that, yeah, I too love putting drow right at the precipice of internal collapse - it's just been building up too much for even Lolth to keep everything together, and it's all gonna come crashing down with literally the slightest shock.

Or sometimes I put them right after said shock, which usually ends up strongly resembling the French Revolution. Matron Guillotine and all.

>Wanting to be a sex-slave to a filthy hedonistic amoral slut
>Deluding yourself into believing that Drow can feel love in any meaningful capacity
Spineless, Gutless, Lily-livered wretch.

Yep, aside from the retarded trolls responding. Mainly because Dunmer are a fully fleshed out culture that feels alien and foreign, but is grounded in reality. They take evil tropes like necromancy and slavery and give them fully explained reasoning and make them sympathetic.

>Drow are bitches because Lolth is a bitch

It sounds stupid but its true, unfortunately.

>Dark Lord Moosehead unites the warring tribes of the KISS fan girls, the DEldar cosplayers, and the Tarkatan Honor guard with help of his pet Hydra.

That's great, except, I don't care about the Dunmer. You're also assuming I care for explanations or realism.

I miss when evil was just evil, dammit. Everything's all pathos and justification and good intentions and power behind the throne and concealing your true intentions until later acts these days. It was novel at first, but now it's been done to death and is, ironically, even more trite than the thing it was trying to replace.

I just want a good ol' fashioned psychopath again. Dark lord with an evil army out to conquer shit because DAMMIT, he wants to.

That sounds gay and by extension you are gay for wanting it. Go watch children's cartoons if you want your big damn heroes beat the evil evils and don't come back until you can appreciate the value of a setting that doesn't make you cringe from it's edginess or require a thousand and one hand waves and asspulls to explain why your comically dysfunctional idiots are totally a big bad threat.

I'm still upset best girl was actually a back stabbing bitch.

The issue isn't the idea of a well-thought out and developed setting with nuance and depth. The issue is that it has become so boring and predictable to give them "reasons", especially since the "reasons" tend to be the same across the setting (something something we faced hard times something something the needs of the many something something we had no choice something something we were forced into it). The entire reason why we started writing and/or following stories with depth and pathos was because they were seen as novel and new as compared to the "he's a bad guy because he's just a bad person" thing. But that has, itself, become boring and trite.

I'm not necessarily arguing against a well-developed villain, nor do I necessarily want them to be stupid. I just want a return to bad guys who *like* being bad guys and will readily identify themselves as such.

Think Die Hard:

>Holly: "After all this...you're just a common thief."
>Hans: "I am an EXCEPTIONAL thief, and as I've recently moved up to kidnapping you might want to watch your tone!"

Not him, but you sound like one of those TES fags who keep insisting Kirkbride is god and everything should be take inspiration from his opium dreams. Maybe other people don't because he's shit and even the 300th iteration of Tolkienian fantasy make for a more compelling backdrop for a campaign then his stuff.

Drow, but in their almost Lovecrafting D-series portrayal.

she must have the tiniest nipples and aereolas. not even worth a cuddle

>tfw no space Drow waifu

>(something something we faced hard times something something the needs of the many something something we had no choice something something we were forced into it)

That doesn't sound like the dunmer at all. In fact, I can't think of many 'evil' fantasy civilizations that use this reasoning to explain away and justify their shitassery.

You can have societies that are extremely evil or at least hostile and still include nuance without turning them into a pity party. Shit, it's funny that that other user told you to go back to watching cartoons, because even cartoons aimed at children to young adults can pull this off successfully.

How do you guys envision a drow societal collapse occurring? As in what do you think the aftermath would look like?

Fought a religious war, were cursed by a god, homeland was largely destroyed and they were rendered refugees by the Red Year, blah blah blah. It's all there when you strip away the veneer. It's nothing new, just the same story I've heard a thousand times before.

The Evil Dark Lord isn't new either, of course; there's nothing new under the sun. But it's been missing for long enough from the mainstream that when it pops up, it comes across as refreshing.