Legend of the Five Rings General: Pretty Pretty Pony Princesses Edition

/L5R/ returns with the Unicorn Clan this week. Their card preview is up, to be found here: fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/9/wandering-warriors/

In addition to talking the new LCG, this thread is dedicated to the old CCG, the RPG, and any lore or stories people feel like discussing or sharing.

Thread starter: What's your favorite card from the Unicorn preview, and why? How about from the whole thing shown so far?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vUzqEqnHtFnl24SKACZTqyiHhrOW9HQzTBjYAbAuaKU/edit#gid=1083018885
youtube.com/watch?v=YWtQsxbF-aQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Rule 34 when, needs more MILF ass

The most wanted MILF this side of Ryoko Owari.

All the female Champions have been great. Looking forward to Scorpion, though oddly enough I hope FFG doesn't go the AEG route of making every last Scorpion woman a sultry slut just because Bayushi Kachiko was the original L5R sultry slut.

When you need to just fuck their shit up, with more military skill than most of the (unhonoured) Clan Champions

The Scorpion Champ right now is Shoju. We'll probably get Kachiko in a monthly cycle thing or part of one of the deluxe boxes eventually

Here's hoping Shoju doesn't fuck up so hard this time as well.

I'm really glad they added the "weapons only" clause to this guy. He was so useless in certain matchups.

In fact I'd say the Unicorn design is very solid overall. They addressed a lot of concerns with some reasonably clever solutions.

Captive Audience is pretty cool. I foresee a lot of splashing into Crab and Lion decks.

Core set cards are evergreen, so while I don't think a champion shakeup won't happen one day I don't think we're going to see any of the core set ones crash and burn immediately.

I figure future new champions will come in the deluxe boxes since those are the only other evergreen card sets and there might be some kind of deck building rule introduced about not being able to run both in one deck.

To be honest, I fear more for Hotaru than any of the other Champions. Her fiction paints her as entirely too pure, she killed Toturi's brother personally and is in a relationship with Kachiko but doesn't have Hoturi's dickery to keep up with her. She seems like she's being set up to make a really bad move.

>tfw no ganbarimasu gf

She is too pure for this fallen world. The trials of her clan are going to eat her up

I think she'll be okay. She's skillful and pretty which is enough for the Crane to succeed usually.

ZOMBIE HORSE SWARM

Fucking Dark Moto again.

Onikage up in this motherfucker

It isn't actually zombies, but you're still playing cards from discard.

I know.

But it's still fun.

Is there a previously previewed Battlemaiden card? I find it weird we'd get Utaku Infantry before we get the iconic shiotome.

>Got that bitch a horse. Bitches love horses.

Horses are pretty great.

How does the influence system work in L5r, what's the base amount you can spend? - seems like you can give a guy a horse for 1 inf, and it's a pretty nice ability

Captive audience is 3, I noticed, but it looks fun

There's this lady, from a French preview article some time back. She's the Unicorn's 3 cost unique character.

Here's a translated proxy card of her.

Your stronghold card tells you how much influence you have to spend -- it's the number next to the bamboo symbol on the bottom right of your stronghold. You also get 3 extra influence if your clan has a Keeper role.

From there, you spend your influence on including cards in your conflict deck. You can only splash one clan at a time, however. But, say, with 13 influence (core stronghold + Keeper role) one person could splash 3x Captive Audience and 2x Spyglass into their deck.

Oh lord, those French. Her keyword there literally means ''virgin of battle''.

Horse maintenance doesn't count, hohoho

I'm honestly not sure how I would translate it better. Maiden is one of those words that has a lot of individual connotations in English, and I don't think you could find a word in French that would cover the right mix of them.

Spanish has "doncella", and from there you could use "damoiselle" if my dictionary is right. Besides, there was not actual requirement for the shiotome to remain virgins in 1E - they just had to keep from getting knocked up too early into their careers.

Judging by Joan of Arc, pucelle?

At one point, this card could pick up Bushi. It was absurd, especially with

Demoiselle might be good, since it connotes nobility along with youth, and the virginity aspect is an undertone, rather than an overtone.

Purcell is old enough French that I don't have a good enough feel for it to judge one way or the other, but my impression is that it connotes virginity much more strongly.

Part of the difficulty is that maiden has a connotation in English that it inherits from its Germanic roots that doesn't seem to be present in French; X-maiden already implies ''female combatant'' for us because of sheildmaiden and similar constructs, and the form has no automatic implication of virginity or marital status. But a quick Google for a translation just gives escrimeuse, which is simething like 'lady fencer'.

Come to think of it, a single-word like that or maybe cavalière might be better than anything ''de bataille''.

Translations be hard, yo.

Another Scorpion spoiler has shown up.

Watch your backs out there, everyone.

Now I wonder if Dark Sword of Bitter Lies will be a thing from the getgo.

Hmm, that "cost 6 or less" thing seems to be a repeated pattern - wonder who else will have it?

Ah thanks - only 1 splash at a time is an interesting limitation, but it makes sense for alliance stuff.
And none of the Core strongholds (might there be new strongholds going forward? I'd guess so) have anything other than 10, so yeah, the "keeper/seeker" thing could be pretty important

>Hmm, that "cost 6 or less" thing seems to be a repeated pattern - wonder who else will have it?
Scorpion and Unicorn are the last two factions to be revealed. We know all of the Crane and Lion cards, are missing one Dragon card (a 0-1 cost event), one Crab card (a 2-3 cost character), two Phoenix cards (a 1 cost character and a 2-3 cost character), and one Unicorn card (a 0-2 cost conflict character). We also have all but one neutral card, and the last neutral card is confirmed to have something to do with changing your honor dial bid.

So I doubt we'll be seeing this anywhere else, at least in the core set.

Scorp got spoiled today on a card that does the same thing but you play from hand or your provinces.

I have three of the Launch Kits ordered, how much do you think people would pay for a complete kit?

Fair warning, FFG has a habit of reprimanding and even blacklisting stores that sell Launch Kits straight to individuals instead of using them for their intended purposes. If you want the store you're buying this from to continue to get promotional / tournament material you might want to run the actual tournaments.

Funny, it's been like this for about two years now and FFG hasn't done anything

Didn't realise we'd seen so much, I'm only half following it

Here's a spreadsheet that tracks everything we've seen, by card number, if you want to see the whole spread:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vUzqEqnHtFnl24SKACZTqyiHhrOW9HQzTBjYAbAuaKU/edit#gid=1083018885

>"I roll to attack the Emperor!" - That Guy

I played l5r since crimson jade till Diamond, and I do not know how to feel about this game. The arts are nice, but I can't get my head around the game play. I constant feeling that the stats are in the wrong place, and I try to draw at wrong moments or replace stuff in provinces at the wrong time.

>mfw I see my new champion.

You'll get used to it eventually.

FFG actually wrote on their website you'll need two core sets to build a tournament legal deck on launch. What a cunt of a company.

>The trials of her clan are going to eat her up
>Implying that we will get any

The autism of the Phoenix fans will be too much for FFG, there will be no maho or black scroll faggotry for the Phoenix, and you can screencap this.

>The autism of the Phoenix fans will be too much for FFG
>there will be no maho or black scroll faggotry for the Phoenix
These seems like contradicting statements.

>This is FFG's core audience

Watching a guy try to explain MLP to functional humans is hilarious

Shosuko is not one of my favorite posters on their site.

The anti-maho Phoenix rage is over 9k on the FFG forums already.

Seems kinda like a worse charge, given the extra setup you'd have to do, but ok.

Examples/ link?
FFG forums have been pretty entertaining over these spoilers

There were a few examples in the recent topic about the Unicorn fic and another about the Meishodo storyline. There is one guy who is especially angry about maho being associated with the Phoenix, if you can find him his posts will lead you to the sweet stuff.

You might be talking about Gunichi. That guy is an ancient by any measures.
If anyone has infinite saltmines about Phoenix details, it's him.
>Ambush sitting between Kitsuki cards
Cheeky.

They've been doing that with Scorpion reveals lately. Every day or two one image in an old article gets edited to have a Scorpion on it -- once it wasn't even a visible image, but you had to click on a hotlink to see Hida Tomonatsu's card and it came up pic related instead. They're having a lot of fun with these, it seems.

>That guy is an ancient by any measures.
God yes, he's been around in some form or another since I got into the game through the launch of the 4e RPG and he was an oldfag then. Its been eight years since then and his hate has only intensified

Oh yes, it's him. this is unbelievably ancient salt, slat only formed by following something you hate for years. Hope FFG/good Phoenix players double down on maho just for the sake of seeing him explode

He is an Isawa. Exploding in one fashion or another is not a question of IF, but WHEN.
Also, the Unicorn card reveal discussion has completely degenerated into a MLP discussion. Figures

>He is an Isawa. Exploding in one fashion or another is not a question of IF, but WHEN.
And then the Shiba sigh and flip the relevant page on their Big Handbook Of What To Do When The Isawa Inevitably Flip Out.

I don't want to know how many volumes that thing had towards the end of the storyline.
Shiba, paragorns of patience and babysitting.

They all boil down to kill them to protect the Phoenix, and then kill yourself because you've stained your honor with the blood of the Isawa

2 for greater glory and 2 banners or
3 for greater glory?

What do you figure is the better unicorn splash

>Buy your bitch a horse. Bitches love horses.

Realistically? 2x Tattooed Wandered 3x Let Go.

But in terms of fun? I'd go double Sashimono, double FGG. You won't always want FGG, but Sashimono is straight value for Unicorn, especially with Giver of Gifts to keep the Sashimono in play.

I'm going to see what more grills in my area play. There's a few who I think might take the L5R plunge when it hits, I wonder if there'll be a pattern.

Let Go is basically going to way over favor Dragon for splashing until we get some other attachment losing effects in other clans. It is just so tempting to tell people who Cloud the Mind or try to use Pacifism to get fucked

My L5R scene had a lot of women, though they were more into the RPG side of things. But they did kimono events and shit, hardcore fans.

>But they did kimono events and shit

Great. More cultural appropriation.

It's cool, they were in the Third World anyway.

Veeky Forums what is your favorite minor clan

Sparrow.

You going to complain about asian dudes wearing jeans and flannel shirts as cultural appropriation too?

is joke, user

I wish I could hate you to death.

Well, I can't tell on the internet anymore. Some people really do think that way seriously you know.

This is Veeky Forums, dude. The only things that are earnest here are racism and horniness.

Why? Asians can't culturally appropriate anything. Only white people can, because cultural appropriation comes from a position of cultural dominance.

People called this cultural appropriation, and Epic pulled the ad and cancelled the entire product line. Fuck you and everyone like you.

youtube.com/watch?v=YWtQsxbF-aQ

I'm Asian and that's the most retarded thing I read all week.

Thanks a lot, /pol/. Geez.

Yeah, but we were told that the Clan Champions were all going to be the same gender as their founding kami to justify this gender bent Hoturi shit, then BAM. Pheonix champ is Tsukune.

So why not make Shoju a chick? Hell, I bet Kissada is a woman traped in a mans body now. That's the REAL reason the Crab ally with the shadowlands, so Kissada can get cool Akutenshi shapeshifting powers and get the sex change she's always wanted.

I'm Japanese. I can tell you that most of them don't care if you are dressing like them, as long you are not being a dick about it.

Yeah, like this Japanon said, it's fine if you put on a kimono, but only purebred Japanese get to wear a kimono while drunk and playing ping pong so hard you're trying to kill the person on the other side of the table with your serves.

Don't you stupid round eyes know anything?

See this? Thanks a lot, tosser.

This. Fuck knows I'm racist against pretty much everyone who isn't Chinese (and it hurts me physically to be agreeing with the Jap).

Take this. That video isn't cultural appropriation in the slightest. Sure, there's a bunch of white people in various asian-flavored costumes (mostly Japanese, but there's other influences, particularly in the monk), but for fuck's sake, Epic Armoury is a company in Denmark and it's not like there's a whole lot of Japanese larpers in fucking Denmark. It hits a few mild sterotypes, but that's mostly in the narrarion and mostly in regards to "honorable samurai" and shit, which isn't insulting at all. And, to be honest, the fighting and general quality of the video is really nice for a larp. I honestly expected to see something a lot more like pic related.

Somebody who's offended at that video is someone who will take offense to anything. They're LOOKING to take offense. Bad form on Epic Armoury for pulling the ad from social pressure.

hasnt the other neutral air province been spoiled? i thought i had seen them both already

I'm asian and I wouldn't care, if anything I'd encourage it.

Do the shi-tien yen-wang give anything to their followers, or are they just worshiped so they don't continue their curse on the unicorn? The moto death priest description says that they are revered, but I'd think they would be mad that they cursed them.

After joining the Rokugani pantheon, the Lords of Death become the arbiters of punishment in the afterlife, and are concerned with the punishment of evil-doers in life as well. The Death Priest Technique is an invocation of their power just like any shugenja can invoke the other Fortunes with the right spell, and disregarding magic, worship of them is probably good for your afterlife-- not in the sense that they favour their servants with lower punishments, though I suppose they might, but that by living according to the precepts of the sentencing judges of the afterlife, you are likely to know just what kinds of things will land you in Gaki-do or Toshigoku, and your lifestyle will naturally shun them.

The other thing to bear in mind is that worship of them is a spiritual duty that *somebody* has to perform; regardless of the bargain that got them there, they are a part of the pantheon, and they perform a spiritual function. As legitimate Fortunes installed in the Celestial Order, they are entitled to reverence, and would be even if their position had been gained for reasons other than lifting their former curse.

Thanks for clearing that up. Also, I don't think that they would impose lesser punishments on their followers, given that they are described as harsh but fair.
Also, nice trips

It has not been, no. It's probably draw a card instead of gaining a fate, though. Either that or gain an honor.

Is it just me, or does it seem like a badly thought out design choice to have Military and Political conflicts simply be different "flavors" of conflict, without having different outcomes?

You might as well just call em Red and Blue conflict, since they basically do the same thing. It feels a bit too gamey, and makes the game less fluffy imo.

To expand on this, I feel like lot about conflicts and the feel of the game in general was lost in this new edition, honestly.

The way that followers work now is just sad. I liked how personalities were strong leaders, and followers were usually groups of soldiers and when you put the cards together you'd make a neat military unit. It actually made conflicts feel like armies clashing.

I know this is autismo at its finest, but having followers now just be "personalities you can play from your hand" makes things a bit silly.

Describe you character's katana, if you have one