Did you ever want to be a hero as a kid of course you did. Tell me, what type of hero were you...

Did you ever want to be a hero as a kid of course you did. Tell me, what type of hero were you? What was your greatest adventure?

what do you do when you've become paralyzed below the waist due to a work accident and you'll never be the world adventurer you wanted to be?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4n2qVBv0yi0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you can't be a hero, then be the best villain ever.

Well, when I was a kid I dreamt of torturing people, but it sounds really bad when I say it out of context.

>professor x isn't a world adventurer

When I was a kid I imagined that a civilisation of tiny people covered every surface and I was at war with them.

Whatever you do, don't give up, because if you give up, you'll end up with a guy like me sticking his finger up your ass every other day to help you poop.

Can you not go see the world? Is the only thing worth seeing in the world - the only adventure worth having - one that requires legs? Are the cities where people live, the influence exerted upon the Earth and the universe by human hands, not worth viewing simply because others see them too?

You just need to redefine what an adventure is. Seeing the top of Everest may be an adventure, but so too might seeing foreign cities and taking in their culture, and becoming more than you are now.

You're not incapable. Never convince yourself of that.

If you want to be a hero, be a positive force in the world. If you want to be an adventurer, go on an adventure. You don't need legs. You just need the will to do these things.

Please don't let the world crush your soul.

>Did you ever want to be a hero as a kid
Not so much, but now that I'm an adult I do. I like heroes a lot, and every day I think about how I can be a better human being. I'm not the kind of guy who pulls people from burning buildings or anything, but I just want to do right by the people around me.

>I have a disability so I can't do anything
You don't need legs to adventure or even to be successful in life. The world is more friendly to people with physical disabilities than it has ever been. You are the one who writes your destiny, not your legs. You can choose to either waste your time wallowing in self-pity, or use it to find new paths in life.

>Are the cities where people live, the influence exerted upon the Earth and the universe by human hands, not worth viewing
yes

>Did you ever want to be a hero as a kid of course you did. Tell me, what type of hero were you? What was your greatest adventure?

I wanted to be a cyborg doing space missions.

>what do you do when you've become paralyzed below the waist due to a work accident and you'll never be the world adventurer you wanted to be?

Even more reason to become a cyborg.

As a kid I wanted to enslave jasmine from the Disney Aladdin movie

Shoo! Back to your cash-pile, rotten Akabur!

Don't make me cry

This makes me happy, thanks!

Dude you can be badass and a cripple, you just have to focus on the mind rather than the body. Or some kickass cyber implants.

This might sound silly, but i was a ninja that could turn into a puddle of black goo.

So to dodge something, i could turn into the goo, or i could use it to sneak around.

I could also sorta manipulate it like how waterbenders did in Avatar, but it was much more viscous and thick and sticky than water.

I remember i would sit in the chair across from my TV and watch cartoons, and during the commercials i would do ninja moves in the chair, and pretend to become a puddle, and then if someone stepped in me, i could pull them to the ground.

Funny how my imagination would run wild during commercials, so much so that I would forget what I watched in the last few hours.

And i just read your spoiler... Damn bro. That's heavy. But a puddle cant be a cripple. Be a puddle.

I had to move all those pics into their own folder with this one on top to avoid seeing them all the time

Why you sue for workman's comp of course!

Sounds like a more ninja version of Secret World of Alex Mack

I wanted to be an astronaut. Not practical, but no problem, soldier was next on the list. The military will accept anyone with a pulse right?

Found out at the last minute - I have a heart condition. I'll probably die by age 40. No special forces for me. Not even digging trenches as a grunt. Now I'm a programmer. It pays the bills.

I put on a stable, uncaring face for friends and family, because I've always been the toughest mentally in my circle.

But it hurts inside, knowing that what I wanted most was never an option, no matter how hard I wanted it, no matter how hard I worked.

[Posts a Post Way Too Personal for Veeky Forums]

I wanted to become a navy SEAL, back in high school. One thing i overlooked was my eye sight was bad. But oh well, ill just save up the $5000 for laser eye surgery. I became quite physically fit, running miles upon miles was nothing to me me. Needed some more work in endurance in the pool, but i was close.

Then i started developing intense frequent abdominal pain and bloody diarrhea, getting worse every day. Turns out i have a rare genetic disease so my immune system attacks my colon. ulcerative colitis. It sucks. Constantly have to take medicine to poop in a normal way.

Pretty much ruined that dream

I think that was a bit before my time, I didn't have a TV until the early 2000s, so I doubt I saw that.

I'm thinking back to it and static shock may or may not have been the cause for my superhero. Maybe one of the characters? I cant remember.

Professor X has been semi-regularly able to walk for like two decades now.

It's okay anons, I'm in a similar boat, I desperately wanted nothing more than to be a cool special doorkicker guy but was basically fucked all along. We can live vicariously through obsessing about what information is available on the internet until the crushing grip of pointlessness becomes too much, though.

I got it, but it's a lot less than you'd think. Just kill me, please.

>ulcerative colitis
I've got family and friends with that. Let me tell you right now, weed is probably the best treatment for that. Get a green card if you haven't already.

I wanted to be a fighter pilot, or like, an astronaut exploring space. Flying awesome ships/planes and being a cool adventure guy.

I never wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be a bard-like adventurer, using wit and charm to befriend people and aiding them in their awesome quests.

Basically, I justed wanted some friends.
Now I'm in the army. Being a forever gm for over 10 years now.
If I ever lose my legs, I'm leaving all of this shit behind and stubborn my way to China, to see the foggy mountains and monks amd shit.
That or die trying.

You don't need legs in zero gravity environments

Be the world's first cyborg adventurer.
Be the world's first self-made cyborg adventurer.

Suicide

ITT: Veeky Forums anons get nostalgic, melancholy, and a little bit philisophical. Never lose your thoughtful nature, teeg.

Wanted to be teleported to Enterprise and just hang around with people. Perhaps talk to Picard sometimes and have Crusher chick as my surrogate mum who I also like sexually.

Having a drunk dad and mum that treats you like a burden is kind of hard.

I wanted to change the world as a brilliant doctor. I wanted to serve my country as a soldier. I wanted help my community as a firefighter, and make my father proud. At least there is a slim chance I can still accomplish that last one before my father is gone.

I just escape reality with drugs and videogames. My dreams were crushed before I knew I had them.

I wanted to be Superman, but with a giant robot suit. I also had a bunch of heroes I thought up in my head by taking random shit from animated characters that I liked. The one I remember clearest was a Pikachu with an Ash Ketchum hat, but his body was one of those battle suits from the Mighty Ducks animated movie and he had a functional Buzz Lightyear backpack.

These days I just want to find a job I don't mind and to be good at writing, but I don't know if I'm intelligent enough for it.

When I was little, I wanted to be an archeologist, a zoo keeper, a ninja. Now I just want to make enough money to pay rent and live comfortably (hurray for the wellfare state), and not sink into deeper depression which may or may not turn suicidal.

Bullying builds character they say. Their right....

Yeah, UC sucks... by the time I was finally able to get treated, the constant blood loss had me at half the red blood cells I'm supposed to have. Looked like a walking corpse. While the military won't take me, I got a J-pouch operation and got to stop taking those damned meds as a result. Allowed me to do a lot more with my time/life. You might look into it.

I don't like seeing fa/tg/uys in strife. Don't give up user.

HEY HEY HEYHEYHEY! Just what the hell do ya think you're doing here! Is now the time to be feeling all mopey and down?! If you want to be a hero you go out and do it, and don't let anyone talk you out of it, least of all yourselves! Don't believe in the me that believes in you, and don't believe in the you that believes in me. BELIEVE the YOU that BELIEVES in YOURSELF!!! With the power of your passion, you make the impossible possible! Your dream is the dream that will PIERCE THE HEAVENS!!!

First off, bitch that just means your'e a candidate for bionic legs. I spent most of my childhood wanting to be a cyborg. And you know what? YOU KNOW WHAT? Turns out I have a degenerative genetic disorder that rots my limbs that didn't kick in until I was 22. The pain is fucking horrific. I want to cut them off but the doctors *won't let me* because something something blood pressure heart disease you'll die (faster).

Every fucking day. I'd cut off my goddamn legs with a hacksaw if it meant I could get those bouncy aluminum gazzelle things. Except I"m not atually keen on dying. So I'm waiting for them to figure out the neuroprazine first.

Second, as a kid I actually played the villains on the playground. When I say I'm a forever GM, I mean I'm a *forever and always has been* GM.

So
>did you just assume my alignment?

Wouldn't Neuropozine just be a generic anti-rejection drug?

Would you even really need it? I don't think hip/joint replacements require anything.

Yeah, I was using it as basically bionic phlebotinum that solves the problem of all amputees inevitably die young. So a thing all cyborgs will need to... be cyborgs.

Hip and knee replacements don't actually alter your bodies blood volume. Amputation for a limb replacement does.

Hip replacements are hardly a panacea. Frankly they're kinda shit. Generally need replaced every 5-10 years, and its one of the most intense surgeries you can go through with tons of recovery. Knees likewise but less so.

But there's no joint replacement for tarsals or carpals, and genetic diseases don't discriminate against that or my vertebrae either for that matter. Nor does it solve the muscles just sorta freaking out all the time and spasming and tearing. Ever had a quadriceps spasm? I'm pretty sure that's what heroin withdraw feels like. Funny enough, oxy is the only thing that works, and the more I take it, the more pain sensitivity rebounds. So for the most part I avoid it because its not sustainable over 40 years.

Inque, from Batman Beyond.

I wanted to be a traveling, wondering knight. A guy who went through beautiful wooded countrysides and helped people with their problems and fought monsters. I lived in rural Vermont as a child and used to spend time walking through woods and swamps trying to find monsters, killing imaginary foes with a wooden sword and shield. Good times. Greatest adventure was when it would snow and I would go out and slay an "ice monster."

I remember that thread. It was a nice thread.

Build an exoskeleton.

sorry to hear that, bro

I wanted to be like the Three Musketeers and now I'm the best rapier fencer in my club, screw girls and drink too much wine. So basically everything worked out according to plan.

Nah, I really just wanted to get away from my parents. They were not evil people, just really incompetent at parenting and bad with money.

I'm pencil pusher at big corporation, I literally don't need my legs to do the job.

Very close!
Its probably a really common idea to be honest.
Hell, even the liquid metal terminator had the same general idea.

When I was young I wanted to be a dashing rogue who was able to make the hard choices while feeling rich emotions. Not like a jedi that separated themselves from emotion and life but also not a sith because they act only for themselves. As I grew older I guess I kept that same love for the idea of a balanced veiw but now I find myself less inclined to view a disordered rogue as an ideal and instead a samurai, templar, or knight who forged his own vows with his lord. I want to be someone who's strong enough to lead and who can protect those who can't protect themselves more now. I guess that's a part of growing up though.

On the topic of legs 'don't be a bitch' get someone to carry you on their back or find some why to make things happen. Adventure and life is out there if you work hard enough to find it. Remember you're not just working for yourself, when you succeed you'll inspire a generation of people to action

Are you that user that made a thread last week about dealing with post-campaign blues and who also was a wheel chair bound cripple? Cause either way my suggestion is build a suit of power armor, or volunteer to test one.

Jesus fuck OP. You made a grown man shed a tear. Thanks by the way, you reminded me of the good parts of my childhood,

You become this motherfucker right here.

Become a villain

lol I'm in Texas, that shit will never happen. When I was in Denver, CO for an IEEE conference, tried one of the brownies....it actually didn't do much for me.

I've looked into it, and may try it after I graduate and get a job and stuff.

Eh. I wanted to be a wizard, anyways.

I always dreamt of being a great scientist or engineer or something, but I'm a lazy fuck. Worst character flaw, it stops you doing things about it. Slowly managing to get myself to Do Work now, in training and hopefully will start my biosciences degree of some kind in a year or two.

The ultimate dream for myself at the moment is some kind of life extension mechanism. I have no particular reason to need one over any other healthy human, but I've always thought that 80-odd years is nowhere near enough to see the world, let alone the universe. Probably won't get access to one before I die somehow, but it'll work someday, dammit. This is our universe as much as anyone else, and I find the idea of our race living and dying in one shitty corner of it arguing with each other over how best to use one planet abhorrent.
Who knows, tech has been advancing pretty damned quickly for the last two hundred years. Maybe we'll actually pull it off.

Hang on darling
Gentle now
This boy's lost his thunder in the dirty clouds

Dull white starlite
Pale as the morning falls away

The devil each dawn
And flat greys upon
We're torn asunder neath his gaze

So c'mon ye children
If there's one thing we know
It's that them gathering clouds are swinging low

So don't you be precious
Man don't you be meek
There ain't no damn glory in the long retreat

Go call the fuzz
They'll shine their lights on us
We've been building in the dark
There's so many of us

Now blinking in the light
There's so many of us

Hang on darling
Gentle now

Dull white starlite

The devil each dawn
And flat greys upon

So c'mon ye children

So don't you be precious
Man don't you be meek

Go call the fuzz
There's so many of us

There's so many of us

Illuminated and proud
There's so many of us

But there ain't no truth but the no truth but the not truth, yeah!
Ain't no thing but the nothing but the nothing, yeah!
Ain't no fall but the long fall is a long fall, yeah!
And there ain't no light but the true light is a dim light, yeah!

But I've been waiting and longing for that light to fall all over me

6 and 6 parsons and he doth proclaim that the best little bits of us misfits and strays
Make a light in the night that needs to be shamed
All for some none for all
And all fallen the same

And we surrender the stage to those pale horse riders

Hey I'm from Texas!

Just smoke that shit who needs a card

Go forth, man
Get down
With a mighty fist and to retard the crown
Do the one-step the two-step
Sweet jubilee!
And show me the light, goddamn!

And lay me down in a bed full of rain

Hang on darling
Gentle now

Dull white starlite

The devil each dawn
And flat greys upon

So c'mon ye children

So don't you be precious
Man don't you be meek

Go call the fuzz
There's so many of us

There's so many of us

Illuminated and proud
There's so many of us

But there ain't no truth but the no truth but the not truth, yeah!
Ain't no thing but the nothing but the nothing, yeah!
Ain't no fall but the long fall is a long fall, yeah!
And there ain't no light but the true light is a dim light, yeah!

But I've been waiting and longing for that light to fall all over me

6 and 6 parsons and he doth proclaim that the best little bits of us misfits and strays
Make a light in the night that needs to be shamed
All for some none for all
And all fallen the same

And we surrender the stage to those pale horse riders

Go forth, man
Get down
With a mighty fist and a retarded crown
Do the one-step the two-step
Sweet jubilee!
And show me the light, goddamn!
And lay me down in a bed full of rain

Yeah shit is bleak - we've seen it and worried
Our timid leaps get knee-deep and buried
Entire weeks where I swear I can barely rise

Electrical fits
Tantrums and prayers
Pride un-does what mercy repairs
The pits of this
Toss a match to it and start again

The absence of light is its own stubborn light - no light is a light
No light is the true light
And there is no light so there is a light so there is no light so there is a light!

Though we've been denied too much hope in our lives
Let tonight be the night when it ends

Tell me there is a light!
There is a light!

there is always hope user

As a kid I wanted to be a game developer, but then I gave up on life.

...and became a video game developer?

>You're posting that picture
>Again
And again, I'm going to reply with the same picture. The red string of fate binds us!

Wish I could say I have no idea what you're implying but I guess that particular crop is a bit too distinctive.

Picking up new intern tomorrow. We're so starved for hires this summer that it's pretty much already decided (unless they go full retarded at the interview).

>tried one of the brownies....it actually didn't do much for me
Strains are not created equal. What you're looking for is a strain with a high CBD percentage and low THC. i.e. the kind that you wouldn't use to make brownies

Sorry to hear you're in Texas, by the way. I grew up thinking Texas was the most AMERICAN state there ever was. Then I grew up and learned better.

>We're so starved for hires this summer that it's pretty much already decided
That's one lucky intern

That's nice and all, but what do you think of DnD 5e?

You think being crippled makes you any less able to be an adventurer?
Nigga you have something now that most adventurers don't! A FUCKING WEAPONS PLATFORM!

Here's what you do, get one of those lightweight sport wheelchairs and slap a sick ass engine on it and some hand breaks so you can steer. Next get some rockets, probably some low grade fireworks shit at first due to budget but upgrade when you can, and slap that shit between your legs. Then get some full auto shit and get those bolted on also, in an emergency they can be used as a means of propulsion.

Lastly get swole as fuck, you never have to worry about leg day ever again so just go ham on getting your gorilla arms. Practice doing some sick tricks on your death chair until you've got it down and then go out and make America proud by taking down some criminal scum.

You're only as limited as you allow yourself to be! Stephen Hawking wrote a book with his fucking cheek you can be an adventurer with a wheelchair.

I wanted to be a doctor. I do admin work at a medical law firm so that's close enough I guess.

>tfw your lifelong dream is shattered completely and utterly with no chance of saving it

I can't be the man I wanted to be growing up . It's been 4 months since and I don't feel like I will ever get over it.

I wanted to become God. Even if I'd be a God of a small pocket dimension.

In D&D, played a Wizard. Now, I'm a eternal GM.

Holy shit...... I thought I was the only one that membered that show.

youtube.com/watch?v=4n2qVBv0yi0

Details, negus!

Learn me some cybernetics. No one can stop justice no matter how they cripple it.

I wanted to be a deity. If not, a dragon. Both are nigh untouchable and they are undisputedly great. But I didn't want to be one of those completely evil dipfucks that rent everything to bits and abused their might. Being good had more appeal, but... I mostly wanted that untouchability. That power and leisure to do whatever the fuck.

There are no gods or dragons here. But who is to say we can't emulate them in our own way?

And by emulate I mean their badassery. No scalie shit. Also, that sucks OP but you refurbish your wheelchair into a chariot

>I didn't want to be one of those completely evil dipfucks that rent everything to bits
There's nothing wrong with being a landlord.

Attach guns to your wheelchair and be an adventurer anyway.

I missed this thread...
can you upload the pictures? I want to see more.

Hephaestus, son. Build you some robits to run your legs for you, get a hot wife, and be the divine dwarfhead

I wanted to have superpowers as a kids, and then, at some point, I thought

> If superpowers aren't real and I'm just fantasizing, why don't I just pretend I have godlike power?

I still do this. When I hear people's stories like the ones posted in this thread, I want to ask the universe where they are, I want to put on a new body and fly over there and help them. I want to jump out the window and save the world. I want to play a song so loud that the entire world is dancing. I want to travel to new words and share music and art with them. I want to make a planet of aliens with their own strange culture and I want to be a benevolent invisible god to them.

I want to travel to different universes. I want to shake superman's hand. I want to See all the strange things I've only ever seen in my mind.

I want a magic bathtub that fills with any substance you want. I want to do ridiculous stupid shit that you could only do if you were god. I want to make a skyscraper that goes all the way from china to america through the center of the earth. I want to make a universe where everyone has robot bodies and they can look like art deco or anime of weird orbs or like transformers..

I want to see what famous people do when they think no-one is watching.

I want to travel into every house that I see on the side of the road while I drive and see how they live and I want to help them live their lives.

There was that would-you-rather question everyone gets asked where you ask wether or not you would rather fly or be able to turn invisible.

I used to say that I would want to be invisible.Now I want to fly so badly it hurts.

Can still see the world from a wheelchair. You've just gone from martial to wizard I'd all. Use some of the money you have to have gotten to get yourself all certification for all job that doesn't require legs, like an it job or something. Continue to make money, save up, go explore Asia and whatever parts of the western world you don't call home. Yeah you will never climb machu pichu, but there is still plenty you can go see.

>Magic setting?
Animate limbs with magic time

>Sci fi setting?
High tech prosthesis time, probably with guns

>Modern era setting?
Hacker, pilot, driver, mechanic, or other support role. Bonus points if you kick someone's ass while being wheelchair/segway bound.

Wow, user, I'm not OP, but every time I get sick of my job I'm gonna think of you and be happy.

powered exoskeletons SOON user.

slightly off topic but Wherever i go, i can not find happiness or satisfaction.

i am going to kill myself tonight.

i hope you got stronger will than i op, good luck.

Then you just haven't gone far enough yet, user. You'll find it soon. Don't give up now.

It is alright user, i am at inner peace with myself. I have accepted it.

Thank you for your kind words tho, cheers.

Don't please.

I hope that you will change your mind.

source?

No buddy. C'mon. You just have to keep fighting and pushing. I tried to off myself just about three years ago. I thought there was no way to Carry on. But it didn't work out, so I started trying to pick op te pieces. And that did work. It was hard and I'm still working at it but things can get better

Talk with someone. I tried to kill myself about a year ago, and it was ultimately because I couldn't talk it out with anyone I knew.
I don't mean to caution you away from finding relief through death, but you should at least try to speak about it with someone beforehand.
Depression is a self-perpetuating cycle that makes it too hard to keep sight of the bigger picture, and too many good men have killed themselves because of one bad low.
Sometimes life won't ever get better, but we live in a golden age of communication. There's always someone willing to listen.
So make sure this is what you want, and talk it over or justify yourself to someone. An user, a contact, someone from a hotline, anyone. Think of it as saving your game.

I'll pray that you find relief from your sorrows.

Basically what said. Planes r cool. But also what said.

You'll probably get first dibs on any medical experiments done on that level of replacement/repair of that level of your body generally because all prosthetic research is so primitive that it's done to those who need rather than those who want because nobody wants a modern replacement arm for their perfectly functioning human one right now. So hey, at least you have that going for you.