What is the one book I should read to best understand the people of 40K, their culture, and their living conditions?

What is the one book I should read to best understand the people of 40K, their culture, and their living conditions?

Other urls found in this thread:

dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Civilian_Life_in_Warhammer_40,000_AD
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Civilian_Life_in_40k_Part_2
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Civilian_Life_in_Warhammer_40k_-_Part_3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The rulebook is a good introduction to the setting.

For entry point 40k the best is probably Ciaphas Cain.
It's not too grimdark it doesn't take itself too seriously. And it gives lots info on the imperial guard, the imperial society and the xenos races.
The only issue is that the author repeats the same basic plot in every book.
Still an entertaining reading.

Eisenhorn, but only if you count the omnibus as one book.

pic related: Yep already did that

Any of the Eisenhorn, Ravenor or Gaunt's Ghosts books.

Try this one..really goes into the motivation of the traitor legions/chapters

meme posts aside read dark imperium it gives a good introduction into the current 40k setting ill post it in a sec

here you go OP

I feel like any Guard book is a good bet. Dead Men Walking takes place on a hive planet so you get to see a little of how that goes.

With how wide the Imperium is, basically anything you can think of exists at some place in the Imperium. Yes, the peaceful places too. We just don't see them in the books because that'd be boring. Or we see them for 30 seconds and then the Orks/Genestealer/Necrons come and it's not a peaceful place anymore.

Not a book but there are some god short stories.

dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Civilian_Life_in_Warhammer_40,000_AD

dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Civilian_Life_in_40k_Part_2

dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Civilian_Life_in_Warhammer_40k_-_Part_3

There was an omnibus that collected all the rules for the original Necromunda game.

Chiapas Cain, the first and only and Eisenhorn. Add in the talon of horus and the nightlords series if you want a good chaos perspective books. HH: Mechanicum and the first two priests of mars books are pretty good about the admec, alot of perspective about technology.

If you understand the imperial guard and the inquisition, the chaos gods and the Admech you pretty much understand the setting. Xenos are just not that hard to grasp, and im still waiting on a good book from their prospective. Chains of Golgotha is pretty good about the orks.

This.

I cant get over how bad that art is.

I really just clicked this thread to see if the correct answer was in there. Yeah.

I actually have this and a copy of the Mordheim rulebook (1999), no use for them and wonder how much they are actually worth of I wanted to sell them on?

Also got the Kal Jerico graphic novel which is apparently worth £40 now...

40k doesn't work that way. You filter the stuff you like trough osmosis and form your own headcanon. Everything else would be madness.

>the cover of "Traitor Legions" depicts a dark angel
that sum bullshit

If you want a picture of the 40k civilian life, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever. And the boot is weared by a demi-god. And it's covered in skulls. And you have to be thankful that it doesn't have spikes on the sole and it is only stamping your face, not your dick.

Doing all in one go is going to be pretty difficult. You could do worse than the Dark heresy rulebook, being an RPG where your characters are/work with the inquisition means it's much more focused on civilian rather than military life.

>weared
Worn.

There goes my C1...

The imperium is composed of over a million worlds and quadrillions of people. It's not a single nigger tribe that occupies some 5 square kilometer island in the atlantic ocean.