When was the last time you were actually afraid of a monster? Thought that it might actually win and eat you?

When was the last time you were actually afraid of a monster? Thought that it might actually win and eat you?

Mmm, good question, probably last time I played anything below a half caster.

>Playing anima
>Enemies are harpies with grappling bonuses
>NOBODY has taken flight of any kind

Find a room you've never entered.
It can be anywhere.
But it's lights need o be off.

Without looking into the room,
stick your arm in.

BOOM! Dragons.

fpbp

You posted the monster my group is afraid of. Dark caves, rhythmic tapping, scraping, scrabbling. The odd screech echoing from beyond the dark. I made those sessions into a horror game and when they finally did fight it almost killed one of them. So there was that fear on top of it, and the knowledge that the tapping was them talking, which they figured out, so they knew there were more, crawling along the ceilings of the caves beneath the sleepy little town. And they knew they needed to go back down and find them.

Back when I was in a dark room and likely to be eaten by a grue.

Ropers are fucking terrifying, especially if they are standing in a tiny tunnel, where only one melee fighter can engage them at once.

I'm afraid of ghosts as they exist irl

You're trying too hard.

Baba Lysaga's wooden hut, when it started killing everyone around us like nothing.

I used to be afraid, but now I kinda hope for death.

>trying too hard
Spoops me the most.

I forget whats its called, but there was a monster back in second edition that was essentially an incorporeal blob of magic that ate other magic.

It would permanently render magical items mundane, could eat spells right out of your wizards head, abosrbed magic cast at it and turned it into HP, and if it had fed recently it could discharge some of its excess magic at you as an attack if it was feeling threatened.

The 'trick' to beating it was to cast dispel at it, because that dealt damage. Pretty much any other plan was doomed to fail.

We were trapped in a demiplane with a whole swarm of these things. It was a traumatizing experience.

I am now uncomfortable.

There are fates worse than death

Which is why the SCP foundation is the only monsters that really scare me(besides junji ito)

I want to say that's the Phage, but quick googling turns up nothing, so I'm probably misremembering again.

I want to say it was called a 'void' something.

It was in an adventure based around the Maze that the Lady of Pain banished the Incanterium (magic eating superwizard faction) to. It might have been module-specific.

t-to do what?

>There are fates worse than death
like unemployment

Do Hook Horrors exist for 5e?
I don't remember them being in MM or Volo's.

Nevermind, I guess they are in the MM, at least according to dndbeyond.