>2017
>not sending your RPG off to sensitivity readers
ISHYGDDT

oneshotpodcast.com/podcasts/modifier/40-the-spire-with-grant-howitt-chris-taylor/

Other urls found in this thread:

bmj.com/content/333/7573/831
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>sensitivity readers
What?

>We are painfully aware we are two white men making a game about, predominately, black women.
What do you think it is?

Tools that help calibrate sensitivity.

user, explain to me in detail, why in the ever living fuck I should care about sensitivity in my game?

>sensitivity readers
You mean like those psychics who get visions of past crimes by handing objects that were present at the time?

Yeah. Gotta find out if your corebook is fulla ghosts

>making a game about drow
>worried about black women

Oh.
My.
Fucking.
God.
...You know, I already used the pic of Godzilla nope-ing away from Japan while flipping it off.
This seems like a good time to ask for another reaction image for saying 'fuck this, I'm out'.

SPIRE: The first RPG to ever be Psychometrically verified to not be a murderer!

>hour long
Synopsis?

Works of fiction now need to be submitted before a panel to determine.if they are not offensive.

Authors should pass all works before this process before publishing to ensure they do not contain wrong thoughts.

Wow, liberalism really is a mental illness.

>Spire Thread
>Not talking about the really, really dumb idea that the author won't let go of.
I was a backer for this, it seemed like a legitimately good idea. However, there is one idea in the game that is so overwhelmingly stupid that I NOPED the fuck right out of the campaign.

Drow in Spire give birth to children in egg sacks that have to be nourished with blood.
I'm not fucking kidding.

>Drow in Spire give birth to children in egg sacks that have to be nourished with blood.

Remember when the right wanted to censor all media to protect people?

I'm so confused.

>this game about coal black dark elf sorceresses oppressing other coal black dark elf sorceresses and all the men needs "sensitivity readers" because it's actually about
young black women in America

I'm actually going to listen to this entire podcast to make sure that OP is being honest.

I mean, that's still right now. Gay people in media? But how will I explain such a simple idea to my inbred children!? No, the idea is far to offensive, just take it out.

I highly doubt more than a single young black woman in america even knows this thing exists.

But that's...actually kind of cool? Like, it makes dark elves way more horrific, spidery and monstrous. It makes them way less "just black elves" and way more "horrible spider-humanoid hybrids". I'd honestly like to see more of a move in that direction.

No, actually it's retarded. Either they're mammals like every other elf, or they're spiders and lay thousands of eggs in which case there's no point in even having a setting because the entire planet is now made of drow.

The important thing isn't about how many black women will play this RPG, this important thing is that no black women is going to play this game of egg-laying literally-black elf matriarchy as a life-changing allegory of racism that triggers them into a PTSD spiral.

Yeah, because a hybrid of elf and spider that functions identically to nether but has traits of both is totally dumb, new idea. Or, wait, driders have existed for almost four decades.

What time do they mention the sensitivity readers? I'm a quarter of an hour in, they've already gone over their editting process and changed to a new subject. When do they go back to it?

>our drow are like driders simply because things need to be changed for the sake of change
wow so innovative

It's totally dumb. Driders are already Drow that have been punished by Lolth and turned into their new form. That's why they're an aberration. It's their whole purpose.

Oh please that hasnt been a problem for years. People dont like it when faggotry becomes a characters sole defining characteristic like that spic from mass effect 3.

Underrated post.

>spire city taken over by High Elves
>drow have to form a resistance and take it back with stealth and espionage

Could be fun....

From 20 minutes on....
>as I get older and more liberal the idea of resistance appeals more...
Oh dear...

>I don't like the west's slide towards fascism
Warning sign... but perhaps fair enough, we do see a lot more /pol/ about...

>mechanics about what changes when certain controllers / officers are removed from a district
Sounds cool.

>gaining allies that can be used to achieve military objectives and set up narrative locations
Sounds really cool.

>We're looking at what happens when you start treating people as things
I guess since allies are points for players, the game might have an interesting theme about revolutionaries becoming the things they overthrow.

25.00 onwards:
>high elves are highly religious
ech

>drow have various religious castes
ok at least it's balanced I guess

>I don't want to suggest that all dark elves have the same religion
Yes Chris, heaven forbid we oppress those poor fictional beings.

I'll just assume he wanted to talk about how his drow aren't a monoculture, in a clumsy way.

>gets pushed to talking about why the game revolves around drow, describing them as a race with a 'couple of problems'
Oh boy

>"I want to put a human race on the drow"
>"they're literally elves in blackface"
>"that's hugely problematic"
>"so we wanted to make them the good guys"

>"there are lots of different elven nations, the spire is this melting pot"
>"and you're horrendously put upon and are fighting back"
Actually sounds like a pol fantasy now

>stuff about half-orcs being black people, "othering", etc.
Cringed a little.

So far nothing about sensitivity readers, just some clumsy attempts to say "hey look, we're not writing monocultures, our game is so deep, buy our shit">

Now it's 35.00 and they're talking about the "midwives" who guard the drow egg-sacs, and are spider-like ranging from 8 eyes to full drider.

>talk about how players ended up committing genocide in the last test game
Well I'm glad they're dedicated to that "people as things" / "revolutionaries turn into bastards" theme.

>37.00
>host talks about "safety measures" and "x-cards"
>writers love x-card and discussing things they don't want in a game
This does lead to an interesting comment about the tone of a game and players making sure fucktard That Guys don't go full Chaotic Stupid and totally against the grain. That makes the previous comment sound much more reasonable, despite how god damn stupid and snowflake it sounds.

42 minutes in, still no mention of sensitivity/censorship readers.

50 minutes in to a one hour podcast, and no mention of sensitivity readers.

So far there's been some clumsy attempts to talk about their depth of world building using sjw style language involved, but honestly not really anything I'm violently against.

God damn why did I waste my time on this.

I appreciate it though.

Fuck you OP you phoney

>hunger witch
>this is hugely problematic
>mother that can't give birth so makes monsters instead. sounds pretty sexist
>so instead it's a man who builds wombs out of dirt and fucks them
Uhhh...

>we may not release it
Good

>sensitivity readers finally mention

>we don't want to offend anybody we want a good story
Just exercise some common sense then god fucking damn it.

>"maybe I should be stepping down and making room for black female authors to write"
Wow people like this really exist.

>"I'm not the most cosmopolitan of people," says Chris. "It's helped me research history that I've never had any education in."

Fucking HOW does a game about Drow revolutionaries end up talking about institutionalized racism and unconscious bias in the West?

>"We're interested in promoting minority voices in gaming"
Basically talking about publishing minority authors. A noble idea but sounds a lot like bs diversity hiring. I'm glad they didn't talk much about it.

I verified that OP was not bullshitting, and still feel like I wasted my time.

Don't be too hasty.

Pretty sure OP was a rabble rousing troll, since he vanished, but it turns out RIGHT AT THE END there is some mention of it.

I suspect that what the author meant when he said "sensitivity reader" and talked like an SJW, what he really did was sent it to another writer and ask "Do I sound like a cock in this paragraph?"

>"If you love social justice issues and tabletop, you'll love [name of the writer's podcast]"
>"We take a lot of questions from Reddit"

Ha Ha ha.

>Drow are now African Americans

That actually makes it MORE racist.

Drow are epicures, and African Americans are only epicures when they have money to be epicures with

And that's the podcast.

I realised through listening to it that when a lot of people now use SJW type language, they may actually be talking about issues that are quite reasonable. However pathetic "X-cards" might sound, people yelling at That Guy for being Chaotic Stupid and keeping in-genre during a horror game are pretty reasonable.

What's not OK is the stupid amounts of White Guilt on display at the end there.

It's not OK that people have those kinds of feelings put upon them. Maybe we should start using the term "internalized white guilt".

But I know what /pol/ would call them.

This is Veeky Forums. Why would anyone here know about the Satanic Panic. It isn't like rpgs and the related fiction and heavy metal music were major targets of conservative censorship movements or anything.

Oh please, the reason gays are removed from the media has far more to do with the fact that leftists will attack you far harder for misrepresentation, cultural appropriation, or ten dozen other """microaggressions""". And let's not forget that the left is censoring fucking reality.
>A confederate flag? But how will I explain such a simple idea to my wife's children!? No, the idea is far to offensive, just take it out from existence.

You saved us from wasting our own thank you

/gdg/ here. will not do, if you're offended, that's your problem. come and fight me.

Why do you millennial faggots shoehorn race issues into everything?

Don't you ever get tired of trolling places you hate to find nuggets of garbage you despise? This site is a place where you can anonymously post about whatever retarded garbage you want without fear of cult of personality or groupthink and yet you go out of your way to track down shit you know everyone here will disagree with. Like beta faggot who go to gentlemen's clubs and spend the whole time bitching about how much they hate their wives. Or scrawny nerds who obsess over jocks. You are a pathetic loser defined by nothing but what you hate. Just a curmudgeonly little worm who eats putrid offal and refuses to try anything else.

OP here. I was very drunk when I made this thread and am surprised it survived the night.

I was actually thinking about backing Spire but because the Kickscammer makes basically no mention of mechanics I thought I'd try listening to some of the interviews they posted in the updates. The one they did with The Gauntlet actually got me fairly hype, but $55 is a lot of money for something I still know essentially nothing about beyond how their ranger analogue class works, so I got up another.

I was willing to look past drow as blackface. I was willing to look past integrating the xcard directly into the game. Dirt wombs were the first major red flag that these guys aren't right. But sensitivity readers is what saved me $55, because I don't think you can make a game with any bite if you intentionally sterilize it. It brings a whole new context of real life morality to the game's themes of revolution that just doesn't interest me.

>You are a pathetic loser defined by nothing but what you hate.
>Just a curmudgeonly little worm
really fires those neurons

>Don't you ever get tired of trolling places you hate to find nuggets of garbage you despise

I think raising awareness of LITERAL CULTURAL CENSOR PANELS is important personally.

Unless you're OK with submitting your writing to a faceless bureau who will ensure only ideologically correct material is published.

>Unless you're OK with submitting your writing to a faceless bureau who will ensure only ideologically correct material is published.
Ah, hyperbole, where "Someone did a dumb thing" means "Everyone is now required to do a dumb thing".

Why? Do hopeless gacha addicts make you more upset than the OP post? That said, while I don't have anything matching the letter of your request, you should find this acceptable in spirit

It's a real shame, the one shot guys used to be really funny, but James got really sjw-ush later on and the whole podcast became a lot less interesting. Sone of their earlier stuff us still comedy gold, though.

Wait, I thought that everyone knew that blacks are demon worshipping sadists who lay eggs and raid the surface world for slaves and resources. That's just common knowledge... Right?

No no no, drow are "elves in blackface" - they aren't actually black, they are performative racist caricatures created to demean actual black people. Drow are in fact white.

You're thinking of half-orcs, who are LITERALLY allegory for African-Americans (not black people in general, specifically the ones in America).

I was going to make a joke about violent hordes of barbarians who only know one of their parents at best and constantly need to be guarded against lest they destroy civilization, but then I realized that you're right, but not in the way the sjws would approve of.

Be nice if both the left and the right could just let us play our damn games in peace.

Never ever. As one becomes weak enough to leave us alone, the other will become strong enough to bother us. Then they become a laughing stock and begin to give their strength back to the other.

It will never end.

"Diversity consultants" were a dumb thing that everybody laughed at during the 1980s, now they're political commissars infesting every institution with more than 50 people in it across every western country, with more power to fire people than the COO/Dept Head/Chancellor of your university/etc.

Small social cancers, left untreated, metastasize into real fucking big problems within a decade or two.

Laugh at "hurt feelings" boards for writers all you want, they are coming like the plague.

>"Diversity consultants" were a dumb thing that everybody laughed at during the 1980s, now they're political commissars infesting every institution with more than 50 people in it across every western country

No, they aren't.

I'm guessing you have never left your mother's basement in years because if you were employed at all, you would realize how stupid what you just said is. I have yet to see someone in a Soviet Communist Party uniform strolling around my workplace inspecting our intra-office communications for "ideological purity" and shipping dissidents off to Siberia. I haven't seen one because they don't exist. Sure, most companies have a policy to fire you if you call a black co-worker a "Nigger" or scream at a Trans woman for using the ladies room, "OH NO I guess that means we live in Stalinist Russia!"

Please do not cite the Google engineer either. I know he's the latest martyr and current cause celebre for the Alt-right but if you actually READ his fucking memo, he says some pretty ridiculous stuff.

Case in point: one passage where he suggests,
no, fuck that
OUTRIGHT STATES that all Women are neurotic.

>"Diversity consultants" were a dumb thing that everybody laughed at during the 1980s, now they're political commissars infesting every institution with more than 50 people in it across every western country, with more power to fire people than the COO/Dept Head/Chancellor of your university/etc.

And now they're forcing us to include trannies in our pretend elfgames!

Imagine me pressing the back of my hand to my forehead and swooning.

>send off to sensitivity readers
>use their feedback to make it more offensive

If you are worried about "censorship panels" I want to direct your attention to a drama that recently rocked the YA Novel community on Twitter.

A novel called The Black Witch was recently released. During the pre-release hype, some SJW bloggers collectively decided that The Black Witch (which is explicitly anti-Racism) was somehow a racist screed on the level of Mien Kampf. They launched a massive crusade, brigading the publishers Twitter and spamming anyone who expressed interest in the book with hate-filled DMs and demands to know how the person in question could dare to read such an evil book.

What happened? Surely the Author's career was destroyed, they were fired from the publishing gig and the book was pulped never to be released.

Nope. The Black Witch still came out, the book received rave reviews and sold quite well. Topping Amazon's Young Adult Fantasy charts.

The Alt-Right wants you to think that SJWs are the foot soldiers of some all-powerful conspiracy that controls media. That's simply not true, but the Alt-Right wants you to think this way because it's the only way they can get you on their side. The truth is that both sides are just tribes of loud nerds screaming at each other, while the rest of the world just kind of carries on doing what they were already going to do anyway and ignores them.

tl;dr SJWs do not have nearly as much power as Alt-Rightists want you to think they do.

>Case in point: one passage where he suggests,
>no, fuck that
>OUTRIGHT STATES that all Women are neurotic.
Can you cite that? I don't recall that part.

Personality differences section.
-Neuroticism (higher anxiety, lower stress tolerance).This may contribute to the higher levels of anxiety women report on Googlegeist and to the lower number of women in high stress jobs.

Gonna be honest man, the irony of your post is you made up alt-right "foot soldiers" to talk about how they're making up SJW foot soldiers.

I'm so damn tired of the alt-right meme, it's just another stupid Boogeyman. Yes, just like the SJW menace, but the difference is I've actually met so-called SJWs in real life, in "positions of power" (insofar as tenured professorship is power) and on the street. But the most "alt-right" things I've ever seen are those stupid MAGA hats - everything else is internet shit. I've seen the effects of far leftist ideological enforcement in my workplace, too. Hell, as a young white male, I inadvertantly benefited from someone else's accusations of "ageism".

I posted this thread because I thought mud wombs and sensitivity readers were fucking hilarious, it just cracked me up. But it did dissuade me from backing because it made me afraid the final text would be like some of the shit I had to read in university and that's not what I want to do in my free time with friends. And if it isn't, I'll probably still buy after release. But that's not a $55 risk.

Do you have any supporting context? It sounds like he's just saying women may be more generally predisposed to neurosis, and he doesn't even pin that on biological factors. For all I know, medical data backs him up.

>the game might have an interesting theme about revolutionaries becoming the things they overthrow
You have to know this won't be explored.

How? You literally said:

>OUTRIGHT STATES that all Women are neurotic

But the citation you provided doesn't support that. There's a difference between saying women may be ambiguously more prone to neurosis and saying that everyone woman, to the last, is neurotic.

We should have let them do it if it would have avoided this retarded future.

I've read that. He actually goes out of his way to point out that it's an "on average" thing. The problem is that there is a huge amount of biased reporting on both sides, which misinforms people.

>But I know what /pol/ would call them.
You can call them cuckolds too. That's what they are. They've given up their sacks and pipes in exchange for a feeling of moral superiority and a hit of endorphins whenever they prostrate themselves at the altar of inclusivity.

>Why do you millennial faggots shoehorn race issues into everything?
They're racist and want segregation back.

>Be nice if both the left and the right could just let us play our damn games in peace.
One group actually plays the games we like and doesn't care what people do, and the other is tone policing every little thing the industry does and trying to infiltrate it at every level. Don't make a false equivalence.

>Case in point: one passage where he suggests,
>no, fuck that
>OUTRIGHT STATES that all Women are neurotic.
No he says that women have a statistically proven higher level of neuroticism than men and that's why they tend not to go into high-stress jobs.

> implying that it's rural Americans and not Muslims who are doing the inbreeding

Keep trying user

>doesn't care what people do
You don't honestly believe this, do you?

Muslim countries have the highest rate of birth defects in the entire world due to first-cousin marriage. We're talking consanguinity rates of 1/4-2/3s which is absolutely fucking insane.

bmj.com/content/333/7573/831

Many publications also scrubbed his citations and footnotes when they republished.

>so instead it's a man who builds wombs out of dirt and fucks them
I don't see any problem with this.

But- but- it's a beautiful culture! How dare you tell a Muslim POC that they can't marry and fuck their 11 year old cousin you xenophobe!

Why?

To make it seem like he was full of shit when he wasn't. This is what people in the biz call "fake news."

I forget. Is Veeky Forums a woke board or is it still liberal?

I don't know what "woke" means, but we're not too politically correct even though some people are trying to force it on us. Classically liberal in the "leave me the hell alone" sense, but not American Liberal.

Veeky Forums is not /pol/, that's literally the extent of its politics.

>woke

Being a conspiracy theorist nutjob.

>2017
>not woke enough to know King Tut, Julius Ceasar, George Washington, Queen Victoria and Steve Jobs was black

WE

WUZ

WOBBLES

I don't know about you guys, but in my current campaign world, the heros are trying to combat illegal and unvetted orc immigration that's destroying the outlying peasantry while simultaneously trying to stop an evil plutocrat from transforming the kingdom's government into a communist dictatorship.

Unfortunately the elf-populated cities love the free services he's promising so it's an uphill battle but good always triumphs.

That's funny, my campaign revolves around a diverse cast of multiracial heroes overthrowing a genocidal tyrant and his backwoods elf enforcers as they attempt to eradicate the orc population.

>the heros are trying to combat illegal and unvetted orc immigration that's destroying the outlying peasantry while simultaneously trying to stop an evil plutocrat from transforming the kingdom's government into a communist dictatorship.

Keep it up, you're doing God's work.

Come now. That king was democratically elected!

I assume your heroes conveniently ignore the fact that the orcs are constantly slaughtering innocents and costing the kingdom over 113 billion gold in taxpayer coins every year while only contributing about 12 billion gold in sales tax, all this while also being disproportionately the majority committers of all crimes in the realm.

Gotta keep it simple so my orcs are a combination of 2 problematic orc sub-species.

I'm also assuming your heroes' wives get regularly fucked by stronger men while out adventuring

That's the nice thing about role playing games, you can make up whatever you want, completely disconnected from reality, like what you just did there.

Keep burying your head in the sand.

> presents facts wrapped up in fantasy tropes
> "nuh-uh!"

You sure showed him user

People like you are why gamers have a bad name.

funny how orcs are only 10% of the population and yet fill 80% of the prisons

really makes you think

Well if dissenting opinions trigger you so much, why not go back to the safety of your trump subreddit.