So are there any other cards that has very simple mechanics...

So are there any other cards that has very simple mechanics, yet so overpowered that it was banned from competitive play?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ay_S8NjPEXk
yugioh-card.com/ygo_cms/ygo/all/uploads/KDE_TCG_Tournament_Policy_1_4.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Raigeki
Destroys all opponents monsters

>harpies tether duster
Destroy all opponents spells/traps

>Solemn warning
Negate the summon or activation of one card

>monster reborn
bring one monster back from either grave

>change of heart
Take control of one opponents monster for a turn

>card destruction
Both players discard their hands and draw the same number of cards discarded

Lots of early cards had simple effects like this
>man eater bug
Destroy one monster
>geirfried the iron night
Destroy any equip card equipped to this monster
>fissure
Destroy one monster on your opponents side of the field with the lowest atk.

I can think of the opposite: a card which doesn't function whatsoever which I presume was banned only to reduce Konami's embarrassment.

Skull Clamp

Time Stop

>doesn't know what 2 outta 3 matches are

>Doesn't know your opponent can always concede before they take the damage to make it completely useless

ancestral recall

>Jinzo
Negate the effects of all trap cards

>cyberstein
Pay 5000 lp, special summon one fusion monster
(Have LP always been a joke?)

>delinquent duo
Basically make your opponent dump 2 cards from their hand

>magician of faith
>dark magician of chaos
Reuse one spell

>solemn warning

you'd be surprised at how many people use it wrong.

Lol, meant to say Solemn Judgement.

Another tricky card was Waboku

solemn judgment has just as many retards trying to use it to negate effect-based summons - WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT CAN'T NEGATE IT?! IT NEGATES MONSTER SUMMONS!

God, I fucking miss old yugioh. Cards took seconds instead of minutes to read, and you didn't have to wait 5 minutes for your opponent to finally finish all his special/pendulum/link/xyz/synchro summons for the fucking turn. It was simple, but effective, and the cards actually looked cool.

confirmed for never playing yugioh at anything remotely resembling a competitive level.

I remember Two Pronged Assault getting played on me a lot in GBA game. It really pissed me off.

Lightning bolt warped standard when it was legal.A lot of creatures were considered unplayable only because they died to bolt and didn't give immediate value.

Nah, never liked the competitions. It was all meta. I enjoyed seeing new deck concepts and synergies outside what everyone else spammed. I did eventually make an anti-meta deck and won a local tourney with it. Basically revolved around The End of Anubis, Jinzo, and Vanity's Fiend. This was around the time xyz came out. People would constantly ask where my extra deck was and give me the funniest looks when I told them I didn't use one. Once pendulum monsters dropped, I quit for good though.

so yeah, you have no idea how 'old yugioh' was.

and are entirely talking out of your ass.

Ohhh so that's why it's worded that way? I was always confused by that card because isn't that just the normal win condition? But is the actual function of the card that even if you were on game 1 of a Bo7 or something you would automatically win the whole match if you won the first game with that card? Is that what Konami actually intended?

matches are best of 3, compared to single duels.

the problem with victory dragon is that you can just scoop whenever you want, meaning it's basically impossible to actually win with.

yugioh was always bullshit, you just didn't notice because you never went to tournaments

>won a local with it
>around the time xyz came out
I'm looking up the meta back then, it was Plant Synchro, Infernity, X-saber, Six Samurai, and TG Agents. You were in a shitty fucking meta.

You can only concede in your own turn by putting your hand on your deck, it's in the rules.

Always amazed by the blatant biasing against cards that make you draw.

>oohhh let me DRAW EXTRA CARDS while you stomp my defenseless shithole

>time poop
You mean badecplorate aka badremand???

But there is no tempo loss when you do this in ygo though.

Solemn warning negates special summons.

Always amazed by retards who don't realize that in a game like YGO where cards in hand are the only meaningful resource, drawing extra cards is literally the most powerful thing you can do.

of course you realize that an additional card for no cost is an aditional card you can play.

So your defensive and offensive options both grow when playing this card.

Then again, yugioh threads are nothing but shitposts anyway so keep going if you feel like it.

you say that like it is a bad thing.
The truth is competetive yugioh never resembled what the early charm of yugioh had.
that is the reason for nostalgiafags with little knowledge about the game

I myself cant see the game i played when i was a kiddo either.

Can anyone please explain to me what Pot of Greed does? I'm reading the card text, but it sounds really complicated, if only someone was on hand to tell me what it does, preferably in a context where they were using it. I remember watching the Yugioh cartoon as a kid and the titular character Yugioh would always take the time to politely explain complicated effects like this one to the viewer, which I appreciated, but unfortunately I have not watched that cartoon in a long time and therefore cannot remember how Yugioh explained it. Man, what a cool guy. He's my favorite Yugimon.

Black Lotus and Ancestral Recall are in the exact same boat.

Cards with super simple mechanic that are banned or overpowered because of their costing.

PoG is draw 2 for 0 mana. You draw it, you use it almost every time and there is no limitations on who can run it. So, if PoG would be limited or, god forbid, not restricted in any way, any deck would have 37 cards, since 3 would always be 3 Pots of Greed

It's less that Pot of Greed is overpowered and more that its just a boring card. You draw it, play it, then get another 2 draws. There is literally never a situation were you would not want to play it barring your deck being about to run out of cards (and if you're at that point you've lost anyway) and for that reason its a boring card to be put in the game.

>Is that what Konami actually intended?

Yeah, type of 'Even in the darkest hour, there is still hope!' type of Gurren Lagann shit

>It was simple, but effective

Actually, modern yugioh is so fucking creative it blows my mind. They took a game with restrictive as fuck rules and turned it into festival of insanity.

>opponent summons victory dragon, I'm on 2000 lp
>Use Negate attack
>surrender on your turn, meaning I lose the game but not the match
imagine how pissed your opponent would in that situation, that would probably be the first time they're ever in a position to use the damn card.

>has more cards than opponents
>somehow has defensless shithole

uhm, nani?

>Actually, modern yugioh is so fucking creative it blows my mind.
Not really, modern tourneys could easily replace actual game play with a system where competitors turn in a form listing their favored archetype, sidedeck list, and starting hand then just let the judges hand out prizes accordingly.

They really should have just banned early game scooping.

YGO is a game where wizards don't worry about action economy, and have spells that let them have access to more spells.

And you can't play limited for the low level charm of young scrub card games.

They should have just turned any game loss into a match loss while the dragon is on the field instead.

It's not so much that pot of greed is so overpowered, but rather that it is used in 100% of decks.
Going +1 isn't uncommon at all these days, but the reason why it's banned is because if pot of greed were legal, every single deck would be 39 cards plus pot of greed.

What does Pot of Greed do? Good question. Luckily, I'm somewhat experienced with Yu-Gi-Oh's competitive meta, so I have fairly intimate knowledge of this card's mechanics. Let me break it down for you.
First, you pick up and look at the top card of your deck. If it's a spell or trap, you shuffle your hand, then pick up and look at the next top card of your deck. If you picked another spell or trap, you shuffle your hand again, then put the second card you picked up into your hand, followed by the first one.
Here's where it gets tricky. If the first card you pick up and look at is a monster with greater than 1500 ATK, you put it into your hand, then you must immediately pick up the next top card of your deck and put it into your hand no matter what it is.
However, if the first card you picked up is a monster with less than 1500 ATK, you pick up and look at the next top card of your deck and then send both cards to the graveyard UNLESS it's the same capital-T Type of card (monster, spell, or trap) as the first card you picked up and looked at OR if the second card you picked up and looked at would cause you to shuffle your hand had the first card you picked up and looked at been a spell or trap.
Under any of these three scenarios, you have to send Pot of Greed itself to the graveyard afterwards.
The exception is if the first card you look at is a monster with exactly 1500 ATK. In that case, you immediately send Pot of Greed to the graveyard, but before you do, you take cards off the top of your deck equal to the number of cards you're about to send to the graveyard and put them into your hand simultaneously with the first card you picked up and looked at.
Anyway, that's basically how it works. I know it's a little janky, but that's to be expected from a first-generation card. Hope I cleared things up for you.

and there are retards who think it stops anything.

Raigeki isn't banned anymore

I say that like it's a bad thing because you got people whining about how yugioh isn't 'fun' anymore because of cancerous combos and hard to understand effects, when old yugioh had even more cancerous combos and the effects had nothing resembling a consistent style, meaning rulings and interpretations varied from player to player.

'kid-friendly' yugioh still exists, people nowadays are just too blinded by nostalgia to see it.

I like that even the show runners knew how broken Pot of Greed was. At the start of every 'comeback', all of a sudden Yugi or whoever casts Pot of Greed into some draw engine to do ridiculous shit.

Thanks based user, but you forgot to mention that you must loudly exclaim that greed is good when you play it.

But it was at one time, which was the question

breaker the magical swordsman was banned at one point too.

I remember playing the Pokemon TCG back in the day. They banned Bill, which let you draw 2 cards and Professor Oak, which let you discard your hand and draw 7 cards (even if you only had 1 card in your hand).

Those were the first cards to be banned in competitive play IIRC.

Are you the same guy from the last thread? Because if so, you're inability to get over being BTFO is hilarious.

Yes he was, you're very smart user

breaker is also hilariously not broken.

(adding)
except when you factor in broken, stupid old rules like priority.

Neither is POG

>a card that automatically gives you a huge advantage for free is not broken

It's not overpowered in the traditional sense, but it;s the sort of card that's broken because there's literally no downside to running as many in your deck as you're allowed to.

Much like breaker I guess

gr8 b8 m8

>makes you go +1 with no downside
>lets you play a 37 card deck for free
>not broken

there is not a single reason to not run as many pot of greeds as you can, which is why it's banned.

A card doesn't need to singlehandedly win you the game to be broken. If a card is good enough that literally every competitive deck would run a playset of it, then it's powerful to the point of overcentralizing

if Pot of Greed was legal, deckbuilding would no longer be "which 40 cards should I put in my deck", it would be "what 37 cards + 3 pots do I put in my deck", and that's a problem.

I'm falling for the bait

I hope it's bait anyway. If this is a genuine idea that came into your head, then you have so completely failed to grasp the mechanics of this game that I'm surprised you managed to google search that image without drowning in your own saliva

>Breaker
>Priority

youtube.com/watch?v=Ay_S8NjPEXk

>All these niggers creasing cards in how they draw them

The struggle is real, brothers.

Duel disks ruin cards

Wait a fucking minute this is not clear.

Do I add those two cards to my hand and keep them in my hand, or should I throw them into things like a weapon?

You add them to your hand. Then you may use them as if they were in your hand this entire time. If you activate those cards, they do not go back into the deck; instead they go into the graveyard, but only if they are normal trap or normal spell cards, or a quick-play spell card. Your opponent may not look at the cards until you activate them.

dunno why you idiots always say this
>A player may concede a game at any time during the course of a Game or Match (including during the
opponent’s turn)

yugioh-card.com/ygo_cms/ygo/all/uploads/KDE_TCG_Tournament_Policy_1_4.pdf

Just because the tv show is like that doesn't mean it's the rule, you also don't start with 2k lifepoints either dipshit.

this card is banned because you can quite literally just ignore it, if they drop it and you know you can't stop it from hitting you the player just has to concede then we go game 2 because you didn't do the damage.
Yes that's the rule and yes that's why it's banned, because it wasted a fuckton of judges time at big level tournaments.

What are rules really though?

>confusing the anime with the actual game

"Do you want me to explain what it does?"

>"No thats fine I've been playing this game for a very long time I know what all the cards do."

"Are you sure?"

>"Yes, I"m su-"

"DEFUSION ALLOWS ME TO-"

>"Shutupshutupshutupshutupshutup"

Cards are the only resource in ygo, more cards=more things you can do, a card that lets you do more things for fucking free is absurdly powerful.

it's the same logic for why cards like black locus will never be printed again, like you said it is quite literally a free resource.

I'm a judge in OCG. You can't legally concede unless it's your turn. Due to how Gentlemen's Rules work, you're allowed to concede during your opponent's turn only if they agree to the surrender, otherwise tough biscuits you have to wait for them to kill you the slow way.

The ability to surrender on either player's turn is exclusive to TCG because the players here are 10-year-olds in 20-something bodies and don't like when their "unbreakable" board dies to somebody drawing Monster Reborn.

breaker is a weak little 1600 body that only once per turn pops a s/t at the cost of eating up your normal summon(which is still important), and it can also be negated and chained to.

Once upon a time, when priority existed, it was a better effect, but even then, it wasn't really banworthy I don't think. It served to pop snatch steals.

It's funny how what's broken for one game is paltry for another.

"gain control of target creature until end of turn, it gains haste" is a mtg card for 1 red.

draw 3 cards (usable once a turn) is seen as subpar in PTCG, everyone choosing to run "discard your hand and draw 7" and "both you and opponent shuffle your hands then draw a number equal to remaining prize cards.

>Cards are the only resource in ygo
I mean, there's also tribute monsters and life points.

>You can't legally concede unless it's your turn.
I really, really wish the Pokemon Card game would implement this rule in ther online, as right now completing daily challenges is a pain because people will concede before you get the final knockout out of spite, just so it doesn't count for your dailies.

>and life points.
Lp have always been a joke in yugioh (see cyberstein/upstart goblin/etc.)

They should move to a 3 strike system.

>tribute monsters
it's not hard to tribute summon at ALL

and yugioh is a game with capability to play as many cards as you want, making hand advantage incredibly important.

What the F is wrong with Yugi's voice?! He sounds like he is a 30 y.o wrestler with a smoking habit. Is that some sort of parody?

It bounces from on to off, but what of...

>Ultimate offering
Pay 500 LP, get another normal summon.

I had some dirty, degenerate
Gadget XYZ ugly combos with this.

It got bad. I felt like a weekly filler
villain waiting to be wrecked and taught
the value of my cards.

>gadgets
Aw yeah, son.
Except I was the up and coming newbie who showed the value of liking your cards for what they are instead, I had a pretty basic combo. My main monster was fortress dragon, 1-2 xyz, and a couple synchros, all mecha themed.
>friend drags me to a tourney, says he'll buy 2 of whatever starter pack I want if I pay for the third and tourney entry fee+pizza (saved like 10 bucks but whatever)
>Pick gadgets
>S T O M P all over the competition that week, including people running seven samurai, blackwings, light brigade and trishula, super hardcore meta decks at the time.
>deck gets bad, meta changes
>Keep running machine deck modified until it just can't work anymore, get mildly bored of the same endgame, people start countering me.
>Run planetary fairies 4 months later
>Continue stomping
Certain decks shit all over me, but on the whole it was kind of retarded how well I was doing with just starter decks and cutesy cards.
I still love my little gadgets though.

>august 2012
>first time playing after having not played whatsoever since getting my fun deck crushed by GOAT control when it was relevant
>pick up a six sam structure deck, pack it with other generic warrior support, build it to a 70 card deck(didn't know until later about the deck size limit)
>first opponent
>windup loop
>lose my entire hand
>second opponent
>proper six samurai
>get locked down
>a week later
>go against madolche with the (then) ocg-exclusive ticket proxied
>get ultimate offering looped

what a time to come back. a few weeks later I managed to build a proper six samurai,
then a post-banlist inzektor deck

best format.

What's are fa/tg/uys favorite deck types?
Or specfic cards, if you want.
Mine are probably
MachinaGadget>Karakuri>Cyber Dragon>Elemental/dark/neo Hero>Wind up in that order, I could never pick specific cards.
meklords and ally of justice get special mentions for being cool as fuck but they're so damn specialized

I invented the mind master gusto list.
I stopped playing yugioh after they banned brionac. The last time I tried to get in to it I realized I would have to read for 5 minutes every time someone activated a card and I don't have time to do that shit because now I'm an adult.

pic related

though I hate how the deck is now unplayable.

>That longass name
>The way it looks
>The Rank
>Those effects
>That Type

oh yeah, there's a full super sentai archetype.

Unfortunately, it's literally impossible to pull off now in its intended manner, at its full strength, thanks to the rule changes.

Elaborate, please.
I wish to hear (or see) tales of it in it's former glory, but also it's downfall.

Also posted that before reading the card effect properly:
>4800 ATK beatstick with piercing, that can turn into a 3600 beatstick with two more attacks with one card.
>And it's a Trap
My Dick is Titanium.

so the archetype consists of the following:
a level 3 WATER psychic(the blue ranger)
a level 4 WIND spellcaster(the green ranger)
a level 5 FIRE warrior(the red ranger)
a level 1 LIGHT fairy(the mascot)
a field spell(the HQ)
a trap(the megasword)

and, of course:
a rank 3 WATER machine Xyz(the blue zord)
a rank 4 WIND machine(the green zord)
a rank 5 FIRE machine(the red zord)
a rank 12 LIGHT machine(the megazord)

the field spell would let you discard a card to Xyz summon using one of the rangers. It also let you pitch it, then make the megazord using the 3 zords.

with a lot of different hands, you can fairly easily pull off a full power Magnas and just lock down a LOT of fields.

or use the trap card and swing for 11k damage.

of course, now, thanks to the rule changes, you can only summon 1 Xyz at a time without shitting out a fuckton of links.

As we all know, your turn in YGO ends whenever you play a single card

and finally...

RIP the best deck ever....truly, the kaijus did not deserve autowins against you.