Hey Veeky Forums, I need help identifying some replica armor. This is a german gothic armor, isn't it...

Hey Veeky Forums, I need help identifying some replica armor. This is a german gothic armor, isn't it? How accurate is it compared to the real thing?

Other urls found in this thread:

bestarmour.com/
kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AB0471&name=European Sallet with Visor Browplate & Bevor
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Paging for KM specifically, I know you hate these replicas but I need your discerning eye to see what's off with this armor.

Thanks in advance for any help

>to see what's off with this armor.
It doesn't fit... at all?

> This is a german gothic armor, isn't it?
tries to be. "Has the general feeling" is the closest term I'm willing to use

>How accurate is it compared to the real thing?
not very. I mean the sizes are all over the place and looks like it can fall of in any minute

kill it with fire. I'm not even sure if it's meant for a child or an adult and if it's the front or the back

So much good metal wasted....

also look how in this standup positions the guys hands doesn't reach the gauntlet.

The elbow piece is all Xbox HUGE, shoulder is fucked up.
The gauntlet is somehow simultaneously too big and too small

There is seriously ony one good thing that I can say of this armour: they have some great machines that can make such nice flutes. Or that's the only thing they learned how to do it good

I'm gonna assume you're the same guy as that other thread a little while back and I'll tell you the same thing you were told then. Save up and get a real suit of armor.

Thanks

It's only $550 so at that price I don't thinkit's too bad

you can get a usable armor from eastern europe for that price. It won't be this shiny though, but on the other hand won't be falling to pieces on it's own.

If you want cheap chainmail go for india. For cheap plate it's eastern europe.

There is obviously plenty wrong. The ridge on the sallet is wrong, and the sallet looks too deep. The gauntlets lack dept and dimension.

The couters , and pauldrons are both oversized, and the pauldrons are particularly, the wrong style.

Otherwise, there is a general lack of style and fineness. The originals were custom fitted. Inevitably, the one size fits all version looks off.

also just for reference, I would say this one was the original that inspired that big lump of shit. Honestly the longer I look at that protogypsy abomination the worse it looks

Do smiths make them locally?

I would say every smith makes their stuff locally.

Or what do you mean by that?

>that armor
Stop... My dick can only get so hard

Yes. They don't sell armor online?

then look back at OP's pics so your dick will shrink back.

Or look at this for more indian abomination

Real men paint their armour though, shiny armour was made up by Victorians who polished their old sets of armour so much all the paint came off.
Because, I mean, if you're investing enough money into a set of armour that could buy you a house and a half, you'd at least want to make sure it didn't rust.

well the ukrainians sure sell online. probably a few other slavic country as well. Obviously if you want shiny looking that you will never use then that's not the place for it.

The big question is for what do you need it? do you want to use it? if yes then where and for what?
Or do you want it to stand and be pretty somewhere? If yes then why is it important to be correct/authentical?

Yes I know but don't fall to the other side of the horse. Shiny armor was a thing. Painted armor was also a thing. Both existed.
So is etched and stuff that was lined with textile from the outside

hungarian larpfag, I hate you for linking me this monstrosity

OP..... ok, how anal do you want me to get on this? "wat's wrong from 100m away"? "bad from 5 metres"? or "this thing is so fucking shit I cant see a single redeeming feature, and here's why:"?

Any recommended online armor sellers from Eastern Europe?

what's your budget?

Is it possible to give a breakdown of different sites? I have literally never bought a piece of armor before.

I would say Bánshági Máté, but his website is shit. That said his stuff is solid and if people pay him he can do really good stuff, but he can work on a budget to to make less shiny but still good pieces

>shiny armour was made up by Victorians who polished their old sets of armour so much all the paint came off
This is one of those classic reverse-myths that people start believing totally uncritically just because they found out that lot of pop perception of medieval shit is based on other myths being believed uncritically. Plenty of contemporary sources like Froissart refer to "white armor", which is known to specifically refer to shiny plate armor worn without a surcoat or paint.

OK lets start.

the helmet.
there isnt a single area that is correct in this.
the mid-ridge, with its subtle flute curves is replaced with an angular ridge with a step in it. the curve of the helmet is completely wrong - particularly that the lower half of the helmet has no taper. its a regular straight line. likewise the visor "jaw". straight, angular, no curves.
there is no locking pin on the visor - making it liable to be opened with any hit.

thetail of the sallet is not articulated, instead it fails to have any recurve. a properly made helmet will curl in a little, to shape to the wearer's head. this is as ergonomic as a bucket. I dread to think what the suspension inside the helmet is, but I expect its worse.

The trim is horrifically crude, stamped brass without any of the subtle curves of the real stuff.

compare to a real one you see all the curves:

not that user but I would take option 3

I mean, It might be ok for a school play...

but I'm pretty sure I could make better proportioned armour.
and I'm a jeweller who couldn't smith a pole.

poles aren't for smithing. they are nice people.

the bevor sits proud of the breast - a inch-wide gap at least, with no accurate fixing positions. thats an accident waiting to happen. A properly made bevor will sit absolutely flat to the breast.

the cupping of the chin plates are almost non-existent. Even Vin Diesel would find the chin cup to be inadequate. A properly made bevor is three-dimensional, its structure curves around the wearers chin, with sweeping curves that deflect around.

this one has straight angles that invite a blow to ride up, into that non-locking visor, push it up, and hit you in the face.

see how much more curvature and 3d depth this one by eric dube has in contrast.

Well, I mean, this is how they should look
and this is how yours looks
Taking it out of context, it has the general appearance of something from something like reality. But with an original to compare it too, it's a fucking shambles.

I don't know how they do it, but pajeets always manage to make plate look plastic-y

to answer your question, it's poorly made and lacks the refined shaping that the original has.

check out bestarmour.com/ if you want to see good reproductions

the breast and back have the classic problem of cheap repros. no curvature.

they are, in effect, truncated cones.

\_/
/_\

like that. where real ones have curves. the breast is flat, where a real one should be globular, and curve in all 3 dimensions. this curves only in one plane, to make a tapering cylinder.

this significantly weakens the material. it reduces the air gap between breastplate and sternum, and it moves the shapes of the material in all the wrong ways.

look at the armour in the background of this shot, and you will see how deeply curved the breastplate of a Gothic harness should be, not the flat line of the repro. this is partly why the bevor does not fit flush to the breast. .

>I don't know how they do it, but pajeets always manage to make plate look plastic-y
they do nothing. That's how metal looks like when it's out from the steel mill.
They don't do any afterwork, VERY little polishing at best and do everything by machines so you won't see a hammer marks.

the same lack of curvature applies to the back - there is no forming for the shoulderblades, no subtle curves to allow the waist to move

here, you see the complex shaping on real ones.

>that file work
I demand more

>his face
Oh no no no! I have gone and pooed in it!

Just for display. I already ordered this armor and the seller offered to give me a discount if I buy this gothic armor too.

I was thinking of ordering a sallet from kultofathena instead to replace it, it looks better quality and cheaper to replace instead of the rest of the body

Forgot link

kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AB0471&name=European Sallet with Visor Browplate & Bevor

The bevor still won't fit the breastplate, though I can't see how it could be worse than the one you get with it

now, lets look at the arms.

the spaulders, or pauldrons are a disaster zone. the upper three lames have gaps you could drive a bus through, not just a blade, and they do not line up correctly. there is far too little curvature,

this is an indication that the leathers that the places articulate on is a total mess.

the main body plate of the pauldron is squint, on both sides they hang out of line, being pulled off by the fans on the back. this is an even bigger indication of awful leathers, which are going to tear themselves apart.

Properly made pauldrons of that type should be a tight fit, like this

likewise, the arms are simple tubes, with no complex forming, and the couters are far too 2-dimensional, with not enough depth - that will lock up mobility in the arm and prevent you pulling your arm up.

I cant help but laugh that I looked at that velvet-covered sallet, and my first thought was "that looks like Roman's workshop wall" before I saw the watermark at the bottom.

So in summary from the eviscerating this is getting is that "Real armour has curves"?

hell yes.

real stuff is NEVER straight tubes or cones. it curves and arcs and swells and tapers around the wearers' body.

exactly. Armor isn't meant to tank blows, it's designed so blows slide off. I can't think of any armors that have flat pieces, save great helms. Even then, great helms would eventually get rounded tops

greathelms and kastenbrust armour from the early/mid 15th C, when there was a brief fashion for REALLY angular armour.

very, very little of that stuff survives though.

oh yeah, forgot about kastenbrust, why did the style start anyway?

Now, the gauntlets, well. they're another disaster zone.

they're half mitten, the maker hasnt even tried to make the fingers, which is possibly a small mercy.
however, it says everything about them, that they are being worn on the wrong hands, and the wearer cant tell.

see that spike? that's meant to be a small cone, which sits over the bump of the ulnar neck bone on the wrist. instead, its sitting on the radius, the wrong way around.

the gaps you could drive a bus through, and the complete lack of curves once again shows the budget production values.

here's how they should look, fitting together tightly, with subtle curves in profile.

Hulkbuster level

a mitten gauntlet isnt a fail on its own. many were like that.

but, real ones have actual mitten fingers, not simply miss out the fingers entirely. lkewise, fit and finish was tight, accurate, and most importantly, flexible enough to allow a high degree of mobility. the oversized and loosely fitting repros in hose pictures would lock up long before you reached your wrist's maximum extension.

I'm slowly saving for a "gilded" (just brass plated relly) kastenbrust kit.
I'm going to look like a motherfucking stealth jet fighter yo.

and the legs?

I dont want to even begind to say how horrible they are.
"downs syndrome" comes to mind. "thalidomide victim" is the second phrase that comes to my thoughts.

They are truly hideous. Far too straight, no curves, no subtle lines of the plates.

they're a disaster. look at the shape of the foot vs the real one. or the width of the knee: