Black Sun General 3: It's not Dark Sun or Black Sun Rising

Google Doc (leads to archive links and collection of lore: docs.google.com/document/d/14WlvAzOgGdCzG_XytF87LvpruNQx_lUGei--Iun10zg/edit?usp=sharing

Primer: Black Sun Rising is a Veeky Forums created setting that takes dark fantasy and horror and ramps it up to eleven. Eight Dark Lords rule over a broken, mutated Earth under the corrupting rays of the maybe-sentient Black Sun. It is a world of mysteries, conflict, but rarely resolution.

The setting is kept intentionally vague to encourage players, GMs, and wargamers to develop it on their own in the direction they desire. The base setting is a springboard into a world of dark adventure.

Contribute lore suggestions, stories, suggested uses for the setting, and anything else under the Black Sun.

I haven't been involved since the second thread. What major additions have been made in the weekend discussions? I'd check the Google doc, but my phone doesn't like it for some reason.

A brief recap of history

>Once upon a time, there were eight Bright Nobles who joined forces to fight against the Abstracts, the gods of the world.
>In their efforts to win the War Against The Abstracts, and claim the world for humanity (or perhaps just themselves), they summoned The Black Sun, a malevolent force that quickly replaced the actual sun, and bathed the world in corruptive rays, turning it into a nightmarish hellscape.
>The Nobles were transformed into the Eight Dark Lords, and as the deadly forces of Black Sun made quick work of the Abstracts, the Dark Lords set out to conquer and divide the world.
>The Dark Lords were soon given monickers to better associate them with what forces they specialized in or studied.
>The Lord of Plants
>The Lord of Vermin
>The Lord of Fire
>The Lord of Mountains
>The Lord of Hounds
>The Lord of Cities
>The Lord of Black Waters
>The Lord of Stars
>Hundreds of years have passed, and now these Lords rule over the lands with iron fists, as the Black Sun's rays mutate and corrupt those who do not either submit to a Lord's rule and become branded, or stay hidden in places where the Black Sun cannot reach them.
>But not all hope is lost, as the powers of the Abstracts still exist in one form or another to stand against the Dark Lords
>Rebellions and resistants groups work in the shadows tirelessly to regain their freedoms.
>Powerful, mysterious forces are rumored to be battling against the Black Sun as well.
>A machine deep in the earth meant to create a new, pure sun.
>The moon somehow unable to be consumed while other celestial bodies are destroyed.
>Only time will tell if the Black Sun will consume and control all, or if mankind will prevail.

Most of the focus past the first few threads became detailing specific landmarks that can be found in the changing world, different smaller factions and subfactions that make up the rebel and lords' armadas, and, most interesting enough, stories of individuals within the setting.

In short, nothing too major, just fleshing out further details and fluffing up things.

Though the Moon has become a larger force of discussion. Just as the Dawn Machine acts as a potential threat to the Black Sun (with dubious methods and fanatical worshipers, but still), the moon not only weakens the Black Sun and its followers whenever there's an eclipse, but drives them to outright pain and madness whenever there is a rare Blood Moon, rumored to be made when an Abstract truly dies. The Moon also seems to be untouchable from the Black Sun's corruption.

I'm sure there's other things I can't remember off the top of my head, so still make sure to check out the google doc when you can and whatever threads haven't 404'd if they're still around.

Since these generals are usually quiet until some of the big players come in with stories, I'll start telling a story for this setting of my own. Partly to explore the world more and the type of people in it, and partly to just bump it up until interest grows.

>We saw three of the gray skins come down from the skies like angels, just as the informant had told us.
>They were just as they had been described; bulbous eyes and all, each one wearing some kind of scientist coat.
>They were servants of the Star Lord, coming down to earth to hide one of their star maps for who knows what reason.
>Whatever the case was, the resistance needed the information on that map, and Kant and I were the ones to get it.
>But hiding behind that bolder, feet stuck in mud and grime, I was frozen.
>My spear shaking, my goggles fogged.
>Just a few weeks prier I was nothing but a farmer in the Plant Lord's nightmarish landscape, and now I was expected to fight and kill three highly trained beings from space.
>And I had to do it quickly, as they were already starting whatever strange rituals they did to form the pocket dimensions where the map would be hidden forever.
>I turned to Kant, hoping he could do something, say anything, to inspire us both to run out and fight.
>But he was gone.
>I peaked around the rock just in time to see Kant take out his six shooter and blow a hole through the head of one of the Gray's.
>He now had 5 bullets left.
>Another shot, another dead gray.
>4 bullets.
>I was astonished at how quickly they fell, these powerful servants of a Dark Lord dropping like flies.
>The last one screamed out something, I can't remember what, and flung some strange yellow whip onto Kant.
>It burned right through his World-Flesh leathers and slid across skin.
1/?

I figured the Star Lords branded would be a bit more alien and monstrous than your typical grays. It's not a bad idea, but I think it could be pushed further.

Fair enough call. In a previous thread someone suggested that the servants of the Star Lord slowly become gray-like as time goes on. Chock these ones to being relatively new grays if you want to suggest they get even more alien as time goes on.

>He fired another shot in the air.
>3 bullets left.
>In a haze, I rushed forward, and my spear slammed into the chest of the gray.
>Time seemed to freeze in place.
>The gray's hands reached out to me. It said something I could not hear.
>The sound of my racing heartbeat seemed to drown it out.
>Kant turned his exposed skin away from the sky, trying to hide it from the Black Sun.
>The gray went limp.
>Sound started to return
>"Kid, the map, get the map and let's get out of here!"
>The map was on the ground, just next to the pin sized, half-formed portal that was fading away.
>I pulled out the spear, and with a free hand grabbed the map.
>Kant and I ran as far away from the scene of the fight as we could, in case anyone else was expected to come.
>When we believed ourselves to be safe, hiding out in a burnt out trench belonging to who knows what army from who knows when, we looked at the map.
>To our surprise, it was not a star map at all. It did not tell of the current cosmos, or new planets discovered.
>It was a map of the world. A small one at that. Just a simple outline of the countryside, and a pathway leading to...something.
>Very little writing to suggest anything about what the map was for in the first place, at least for two lowly foot soldiers like Kant and I.
>We stayed in the hole for a time so Kant could tend to his wound and I could repair some of his leathers.
>The tears in his suit were clean, and the burns on his skin were evident, but with time he would recover.
>Night no longer comes, but we waited for when most patrols and travelers would be resting, and we made our way back to the resistance.

2/?

>When we brought the map to our superiors, they went to their superiors, who went to our leader.
>And our leader, through whatever mad reasoning of his, decided that Kant and I would be the ones to follow the map.
>Just us.
>Sure, they kept the original map for themselves, and simply recreated it for us to follow, but putting such a task on us was insane to say the least.
>Kant of course disagreed with me. The chance to find one of the Star Lord's treasures was one he wouldn't give up so easily.
>And me? How could I say no? I needed the resistance. I could not risk angering them, and being cast out.
>They were all I had now, and I needed to help them.
>So when the time came, and Kant had recovered enough from his burns, we left.
>Me with my spear.
>Kant with his gun and a knife (supply told us that they could not afford sparing more bullets for him, and the knife would need to substitute).
>And we would follow the dotted line across the lands in search of whatever the Star Lord was hiding.

3/?

>The days were long, hot, and uneventful, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
>Save for hiding from the occasional patrolling bands of soldiers, or a mutated beast here and there, the land was empty, and we were safe.
>These scorched lands of the Fire Lord were hard and unrelenting to travel across, but they benefited in being sparsely populated; for those who serve the Fire Lord are often off in some grand battle somewhere far away.
>Much different from where I was raised, deep in the Plant Lord's swamps.
>I had a great deal of time to think about my home each time Kant and I rested.
>The place I tended to fruits that sprouted from the dead bodies of strangers and friends alike.
>The place where I was destined to be sacrificed as fertilizer when my village's population grew too high.
>I was chosen completely at random. If I was brave, I would have accepted death as a way of protecting my loved ones.
>But I am not brave.
>I ran away from my village through the thorns and the moss filled waters until I made it to the Black Sea.
>I hid in a leaving Slave Caravan until I snuck off on a craggy black beach.
>And I was found by the resistance.
>My saviors, and the new family that would replace the one I left behind.
>A family I had to help however I could, to make up for what I had done.

>Kant was born in these scorched lands. Born and raised as a Branded of the Fire Lord, and thrown into one of his armed legions when he was just a child.
>He looks like he's 20 years older than me, though I don't know how much that is actual age, and how much is from the strain of the life he lead.
>Constant travel, constant battle, constant bloodshed. It's no wonder he was able to kill those grays so casually while I was overwhelmed.
>I never learned the details on why he left his legion and joined the resistance, other than his joking "wanting to tougher challenge" comments, and I never asked.
>What mattered was what we were doing now, not what we did before. Though I admit the stray through of what horrible things Kant might have done in the name of his former Dark Lord did keep me up some nights.

>Regardless, we traveled until we finally made it to the end of the Star Lord's map.
>We were low and food, our bodies were tired and weak from travel, but at the end of it all we found...
>Nothing.
>The map led to another hill of crust dark earth, the same kind we had been seeing for days on end.
>"You read the map right, didn't you?" Kant asked, "You didn't get us lost, right?"
>I knew I followed it correctly, I was sure of it.
>But there seemed to be nothing at the end of this journey.
>I ordered Kant to search the ground, and the hills, for anything.
>He kept persisting that we were lost, that we needed to go back and rethink our plan, but I would not relent.
>Hours passed.
>We were both ready to give up and return to the resistance empty handed.
>Kant kicked the dirt below him, and screamed.
>He had hit into something hard.
>Something metal.
>I dusted the ground under him.
>There was a handle to a hatch.

4/6?

>We opened the hatch, and followed a ladder deep down into the depths below, unsure of what we would find.
>I could practically feel Kant's shakes of excitement, ready to take whatever we found down there in the dark back to the resistance and be lauded with praise.
>When we reached the bottom, a light one of our candles, and guided us through the cold metallic halls of this strange place.
>The things we found were complex and strange; massive machines with long angled attachments that looked like wings, charts of the solar system, and suites with large glass balls as helmets.
>We searched through countless books and scrolls by the candlelight, in languages that we did not understand, but knew held secrets far beyond what we knew.
>Kant began to place those books in our bags, assured that whatever this place was, the resistance needed to have its knowledge.
>"Don't you see," he told me, "this has to be some kind of flying machine factory. Imagine if we could make these things ourselves. We could glide across the black sea and not need to worry about someone needing to part it."
>I couldn't even grasp the thought of the resistance having such power while we still waited in the shadows to strike, but I knew if there was even a chance for such a thing to happen, this place might be the key to it.
>So I joined him, throwing in not just books, but pieces of old and broken parts and technology as well.
>I had no idea what they were, but perhaps someone else would.
>That is when we heard the inhumane shrieks.

>I still cannot fully explain what the creature guarding this place was. It was a mutant far beyond anything I had ever encountered before, its form constantly shifting and changing through the blackness, its size engulfing half the room itself.
>But we had stepped into its domain, and it was out for our blood.
>Kant fired off a shot from his gun in a desperate attempt to penetrate the skin of the creature.
>2 bullets left.
>It did not leave a mark.
>We ran towards the ladder, the weight of our collected books and trinkets shaking and shifting, our only light being the dwindling candle that revealed the ever stretching beast that followed us.
>Kant tripped as he ran, dropping the gun.
>A dripping claw was cast down towards us.
>I stuck out my spear, praying that if could provide any defense.
>The claw snapped the spear in two like it was a twig, then curled back up into the darkness.
>The ladder was just a few precious steps away, freedom just beyond our grasp.
>But a horrible realization dawned on me as Kant jumped to the ladder and began to climb.
>There was no time for him to escape with that creature always right behind us.
>In an instant, I took the knife from his side, and slid my bag through the loop of his belt.
>I ran with the candle towards the creature, and threw the knife at one of its shifting eyes.
>Kant was frozen in place. "What are you doing?! We need to go!"
>I simply motioned him to head up the ladder.
>He had all the information we could find in this place, and the will to fight another day.
>He needed to be there for the resistance, for he was brave.
>But me? I could help out my new family a different way. I could make a sacrifice that was owed of me.
>I found the gun, and fired it at the creature, to make sure I still had its attention.
>1 bullet left.
>It seemed to swim through the darkness, towards me.
>Through the corner of my eye, I saw the sunlight from the hatch that Kant escaped through.
>And I smiled.

Oh well, looks like things ain't so lively tonight. A bump for good luck.

Story user here, I'm moving this weekend, so don't expect much until maybe tomorrow afternoon. I solely contributed to the previous general, but I didn't get to save any of it. If anyone else did, or if it was written down in the google doc, I'd like to have it. I had some exposition on the Vermin's Gift - The Thousand Eye Pouch, some on the Scrappers, the Dark Empire's new Eclipse Syndicate, Bounties as possible hooks for campaigns, and did a lot of exposition on the Stitchers and the Musers, but I don't remember it exactly word for word. I forgot to add it to my personal Doc. Hopefully Docu-user got ahold of it. I'll try to contribute when I'm done moving.

Sorry, I did not mean to say solely contributed. There were a lot of other stories, but it was MUCH less lively than it is now. Few contributors, I think only about 6 different posters, but long big stories. The last general had a really good detective story someone else wrote, and it also had a nice fluff about the Queen of a Thousand Faces, I think is her name. Lots of fantastic exposition, some I forgot, but it did not get archived, and almost no one contributed to it. I appreciate those who did, I am sorry for my poor word choice. I swear I will try to contribute tomorrow when I have a spare moment! Until then, keep it alive!

I am now running a high-power dimension-jumping d&d game. I plan on including a pre-fall black sun world in there, where the players will meet the bright nobles (showing them as a nice folks) and help them in their glorified task to ascend humanity.
And after the (Not theirs) grand failure they will continue to do their important inter-dimensional shit. Just to start a new campaign later in the world of the dark sun where they will see their older now twisted buddies

But there is very little information on pre-fall nobles.

I might imagine that the lord of the cities was the idealistic architect who wanted to help people with his buildings
The sea lord was very generous and altruistic && always helping anyone in need
The plant lord was trying to eliminate starvation
The star lord was a dreamer, who wished for the stars and wanted to live in a better world.
The lord of the mountain was a patron for all craftsman, who was all about fairness and fulfilling a promise

But lord of the Vermin? What the fuck? How can he even sound good?
He probably didn't deal with vermin before, but what made him?

No idea if document user got any of those stories down. Sadly it seems like the thread's have been boiled down to a few good dedicated people. Still, hopefully someone got those stories saved, they were real good reads.

Make the Vermin Lord a Robin Hood-esc figure. A noble kicked out of his aristocratic family who then turned to stealing from the rich and giving to the needy, creating a thieves guild of some kind, inevitably turning his followers into his "eyes" around the city, and running into his fair share of rats.

You probably won't be able to call him Vermin Lord obviously, try using one of the other names he has.

bump

>The Lord of Cities has a deep hatred for parasites, most of his citizens would never dare dodge their duties but the branded of the Vermin Lord will often try and settle in the forgotten corners.
>Routing out these pests took a considerable amount of effort, and regular citizens simply weren't enough to stop the influx. From this struggle the Lord of Cities created a special group; The Rat Catchers.
>Individuals clad in thick robes, beaked white masks with black holes for eyes, their fingers covered in the same material as the cloak. Their job, to remove the disease that infested the Lord's precious creations.
>No official statement was taken, but there have been witnesses that have escaped and word has spread. Now Mother's tell their children the nature of these beings.
>They are to be treated as ghosts, invisible, if you see them, they are hunting and they won't return empty handed. You are not to react to them, you are not to look at them. Do nothing to gain their attention and hopefully they will finish cleaning soon and be on their way. They are doing the work of their Lord and will make sure that the City streets are clean.

>Cleaning and pest control, of course, can have many meanings.
>Whether they're looking for literal rats and parasites to kill that day, or Branded who have been shrugging off their duties and harming the growth of the city, only they know.
>It's best not to ask.

You could make the Vermin Lord a Tom Bombadil type probably a chaotic neutral druid. Kind of jolly helps those around him. Mostly just interested in living and enjoying life. When there's excess resources he uses them to help feed others and take care of them but doesn't go out of his way to plant seeds or make things greater, he just kind of is.