No Frostgrave allowed - Edition

No Frostgrave allowed - Edition

Preview for Ghost Archipelago Figures
wargamesillustrated.net/ghost-archipelago-figures/

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/CNXzgvT
gonzohistorygaming.blogspot.co.nz/2015/01/techno-primitive-conversions.html?m=1
kickstarter.com/projects/921886974/firestorm-galaxy-expansion/description
amazon.com/Cthulhu-Campaigns-Ancient-Rome-Osprey/dp/1472816005
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Title some how didn't get included, but /awg/ non the less.

Oh boy this Frostgrave game sure is fun and unique, guise!

Any mini ranges look like the original Guild wars?

I've had a blast playing it.

To the Gundam guy, I demand GMs, all the GMs... or at least the ones from First Gundam, 0080, and 0083.

As did I when I had a group that played regularly.
It has its flaws, sure. I would have liked more opportunity to level up my mooks than just hiring a better dude and saying it's really the old dude with new equipment.
But still, it was enjoyable and very simple to hop into.
I really liked a lot of the scenarios the books gave. I've been working on adapting some of them to Shadow War Armageddon, which has pathetically few scenarios from its core rulebook to run.

There is 2 of us.

1/144 Guy here.

I'm going to do 0079, then then OYW OAVs. you will have your GMs for sure.

Ah, I was having a hard time following the last thread. GM Custom is best mobile suit.

There's a guy doing a 1/400 one and then there is me doing a 1/144 one. I was the one who put out the test rule set in the last thread.

Fuck it, I may as well set up a Discord for people who want to hop in and give feedback. discord.gg/CNXzgvT

I think SAGA is technically more /hwg/, but how is it? Going to buy some cheap plastics I think.

I had fun the couple times I played it, but you've really gotta know your opponent's dice board or you'll get blindsided quick. I hear the crusader version is a little more balanced.

delete this, you forgot the titlebar

if you don't like frostgrave it's because you're a WAAC baby who should play nothing but magic the gathering

Let's not mate. I'm grateful for the fantasy plastics at least. I'm a brainlet for rules these days so Heroquest and Song of Blades and Heroes scratch my itch.

nth for frostgrave posters please leave

These are great. I have a few of them in my bits box I've not touched. Would be nice to see them painted up well

Where's the baddies?

I need to pick them up sometime, I have the other "awesome foursomes" and also ones from a couple of other games like Dark World and the D&D Fantasy Adventure boardgame.

Coolest thing I've seen with the Dungeonquest ones is this guy making tech-gangers with them.

gonzohistorygaming.blogspot.co.nz/2015/01/techno-primitive-conversions.html?m=1

Anyone got a source on 15 or 28mm bronze-age near easterners circa 1,000 BC? I feel like doing some biblical era skirmishing but all I can find is the stuff from Warlord.

You know, the more I want to get into Wrath of Kings or Dark Age the anger I get with CMON and their idiotic attitude towards retailers and distributors.

God damn I hate them.

Never support CMoN, user. They do not care about you, they only care about their terrible Kickstarters.

Pirate rules. Proxy models. Never reward.

have you tried foundry?

Rules for both those games are free.

I've heard they were bad, but never why.

generals without titles shouldn't be allowed

I prefer something well written but whatever you say, fluff bunny

Is /awg/ excited for reaper bones 4?

I dug out my Shadowrun minis to use them in Dredd. They'll be probably small, but will make nice Juve Perps. Not sure about the guy in the cloak - doesn't seem exactly cult-looking, so I'm not sure how I'll use him, but it's a nice mini. Any ideas are welcomed.

It'll be pretty good.

Not worth the money, too much junk I'll never use and not enough cool stuff for the price. Only reason to buy it would be to do videos on painting everything. Got too many projects as it is

Maybe, I play a lot of SoBaH with gfs or non-tabletop friends, so I use everything between casual beer and pretzel games, D&D and board games

And like you said, since it won't arrive for so long it gives me time to clear off the painting bench and make room for this stuff

Spartan Games are at it again

kickstarter.com/projects/921886974/firestorm-galaxy-expansion/description

On the other hand those Saurian ships look nice as heck.

did they ever deliver their last kick starter?

Not really. It's good for p&p, if you have no minaitures at all, but for wargames at looks really bad.

Wow, I should try to wake up completely before posting.

Nah, too much guff in the core set, which works out about £120 after postage and taxes. I know they need to make new miniatures but I wish they'd throw in the basics like Rats, Bats etc. each time, I need them not Undead Basilisks or something.

Combined with Reaper getting stingier I'm just going to carry on waiting for stuff to drop through to retail and buy blisters that interest me.

Well, at least it's just new stuff for an existing game rather than yet another new game.

Me on the left.

anyone have the frostgrave firearm rules? Just looking for those from spellcaster 1.

Mexceed Senki user here. Decided to pick up a tripcode (don't worry, I'll only use it when discussing the game).
Anyway, I've completely overhauled the combat system. Instead of using one based on SoBaH, the game now uses AC (armour class) that you would roll against depending on what weapon you've equipped your mech with.
When you purchase a mech for your team, you are actually only purchasing the frame of a mech, and you will probably want to purchase its armour plating, weaponry and any other doodads you may need.
Right now, there are five basic factions that are still heavily WIP. None of the names set in stone, obviously:
The Federation is your basic "good guy" military army based on the EFF from the Gundam series.
Next is the New Order. They're the main rival group of The Federation and they use cheaper, less powerful mecha. They're based on Zeon, also from the Gundam series.
The Space Pirates are just your basic ragtag pirates, but in space. They use stolen mecha and other vehicles in battle and have no real end goal.
I also added "factions" to represent non-human threats, like the Angelics, which are based on the Angels from Evangelion and have unique abilities depending on what shape they are (walkers, avian-like, abstract, etc.).
The Kaiju faction is, well, just Kaiju: huge monsters that, while fairly lacking in abilities, have very high stats. The God-Zillard is one big motherfucker and has a nuclear breath ability as well as some other things to make him worth his large price tag.
Again, the names are not set in stone: I will almost definitely be changing most of them. The current names are just there to placehold and give a feel for the faction.
The game uses D10s for everything and distances are easily customized to work with any scale. Out of the box, though, the game is meant to work with 1/300th (or 6mm) scale miniatures, like this 1/300 RGM Gashapon Gundam. These are easily found on eBay and are about 2.5" tall.

Well my problem with them is twofold. They seem to love announcing and releasing new games more than they do supporting existing ones.

But the really bad part is that unless a retailer wanta to carry their stuff, CMoN willl generally not do business with them unless the retailer agrees to buy a ridiculous amount of product first. So either don't carry their stuff, or buy more than the store can reasonably be expected to sell. This pretty much boils down tk having to use the CMoN webstore if you want your product, rather than being able to buy from a variety of retailers.

>CMoN pretending they're gw

that's funny actually, more because with GW it usually works out given how widespread and popular warhammer is and the product is designed to be purchased over and over

Most of CMoN is single buy items which are then abandoned and never have new stuff added

That and if you buy anything retail CMoN you're getting straight robbed, if you miss a kick starter for a CMoN product you should never buy that product ever.

While that is true I really like the models for those games. They make it hard to support them anyway since I can't get their stuff anywhere.

Their attitude towards retailers and ditributors is just backwards. It's nearly impossible to get their non-board games anywhere but directly from them. It makes it almost impossible to play their games.

Would you look at that brawdsward! Not even the gargoyle can stand up to that!

Or it's forward thinking wjhere they use the internet and cut out the dying middleman

Does anyone know of any miniatures that would work for an Ultima-themed game?

Reaper line is classic fantasy

>I really like the models for those games

Based Chinaman?
BECOME Base Chinaman?

Even if the idea of the game store being a "dying middle man" were true, you can't even get WoK or DA stuff from most online retailers. Miniature market carries WoK, but Dark Age? Noble Knight is the only place other than eBay I can find and their stock is crap.

...The Pathogen ships are all literally diseased genitals.

cool, thanks (different user, but much thanks regardless). Anyone got the dungeon/gnolls book and willing to share?

I'm disappointed they went that direction with the Pathogen ships. I liked the old ones where they were other factions ships that had been infected. Gave them more character.

maybe some stuff from reaper? They have a bones 4 kick starter atm

>1600s Polish Infantry
>has a gun
Didn't Poles fight wish sabres on horseback until WW2?

Foundry, Essex, Irregular, in descending order of quality and price.

Irregular paint up ok, honest.

>Game stores can't compete on price
>They add extra cost due to needing a profit
>Companies can now just take orders online and ship directly to customers with automated services
>Outside of mega retailers (i.e. Amazon, Walmart) there is simply no reason to play ball with smaller companies any more.

And when 3D printing hits it's going to be even easier to just remove all middle men and set even more direct to the customer.

Essex looks like the sweet spot, supplemented by Foundry and maybe Irregular. Do you have any pictures of decent paint jobs for Irregulars? The site's gallery isn't exactly inspiring any enthusiasm on my part.

3D printing is probably 100 years away

dumbest thing i've ever heard. congrats

>Do you have any pictures of decent paint jobs for Irregulars? The site's gallery isn't exactly inspiring any enthusiasm on my part.
"They paint up ok" generally means that they're tabletop-decent in play, not that they look good when you pick them up and look at them closely, or take pics.

Essex are a better bet. But then, I don't really know the 28mm ranges well.

Foundry do sales a few times a year - usually it's "buy 8 packs, get 2 free, buy 16 packs, get 6 free" on their standard packs. This is expensive, but if you're doing an annual order it's not too bad.

It's nowhere fucking close to matching injection molding, if you talk to anyone (reaper, privateer press, etc) they will straight up tell you 3D printing is 100 years away

It's not anywhere close to matching the detail of injection molding which humans have been doing for a long time

and the BIG kicker is unlike computer printing peripherals there aren't any corporations really driving the technology

maybe educate yourself fucker, people have been screaming for almost a decade about how 3d printing is going to kill models and the technology hasn't even shifted

100 years away dude. think about what has happened in the past 100 years. get a grip. did they just thaw you out of ice or something?

I know everyone's making Gundam games at the moment but I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring with this.

I wanted something even crunchier and more "real-time" feeling than Infinity's ARO system to be played with very small forces on a very small table with a lot of terrain, so came up with this turn sequence.

I've cribbed a lot of wording from the Infinity rulebook because it explains the concepts of intention and AROs very well.

Does this actually sound fun though? It's something that makes perfect sense in my head, adding a risk management thing - does a short-ranged mech hold fire until it's within optimal range, risking the enemy reaction fire killing it before it can even fire, or does it fire early and break off the approach?

Looks cool at first glance. Will give it a better look later. What minis would you use for this? If you haven't decided yet, there are a few really good resources I've found for minis I can share here for anybody that might want to know.

One of my local ships sells everything at a 20% discount. I can get stuff cheaper there than direct from the companies.

I can coubt at least seven LGS's within about 20 minutes drive of me.

The thing with CMON is you can't even get WoK or DA from Warstore.

The problem with this mentality is that brick and mortar stores still have a place in this market. There's still a culture of playing at your FLGS for many people.

That attitude is like saying that cafes will be killed off by the drive-through and fast food restaurants. Its a niche that still has market share because people are willing to pay extra on the product for the experience.

And 3d printing is still a long way off for those purposes.

I hadn't thought much on minis as yet but something comparable to X Wing ships in size would be ideal (the very small blind box mechs you can get).

I was going to use the Whisper KS stuff when it came.

You should look into Gashapon Gundam stuff. They come in both 1/400 (these stand at about 1.8" tall) and 1/300 (6mm scale, they stand at about 2.5" tall) scale. Only downside is they're made of a soft plastic. This is what I use for Mexceed Senki. Pic related, I think.
If you decide you want to go smaller, there's the Heavy Gear miniatures and also the miniatures for Jovian Chronicles. Both of those have older minis from what I think is their older editions that are around 40-50mm tall (and they're metal, which is a big plus).

Since people are talking about gundam wargames, I might as well post an idea I had (aka saw another game do and decided to steal) for it. The idea is that your wounds/hp/etc are derived from your equipment. By default, an MS can only take one hit and if even a single one gets through dodging/armor/etc the unit is dead. However, certain equipment (most handheld weapons/shields, Alex-style disposable armor, etc) can be discarded to ignore the hit at the cost of losing whatever benefits that equipment gave.

For example, a Gundam Mk II would be represented by 3-4 pieces/cards/etc: one for the "core" unit that would give the base stats and innate weapons like the vulcan pod and beam sabers (that can't be lost to damage but at the same time can't be given up to save the MS), one card for the shield (which doesn't do anything on its own but can be burnt to survive an attack), one card for the clay/hyper bazooka or beam rifle (which would be its primary weapon but could be given up to get the unit out of an emergency), and optional cards for bonus equipment like the flying armor or G Defensor (which would provide buffs or passive abilities).

Here's the character creation for Mass Effect: Terminus. These guys are the protagonists (or antagonists) of the campaign, supported by a couple of mook squads. The creation system allows you to quickly generate an interesting framework to build your own character from, with unique and interesting in-game benefits.

>I hadn't thought much on minis as yet but something comparable to X Wing ships in size would be ideal (the very small blind box mechs you can get).
Repoastan. GSight was a very limited edition that came with small diorama pieces; they're the only source for the hovertrucks in the gashapon scales. There are also California Base and Jabrow Base turret bunkers (Cali Base is squared, Jabs are rounded) and Samson trucks. Some of the Strategy of Gundam models of ships and intermediate-sized heavy vees are actually closer to 1/400 than the Gundam colection mins. Notably, the SoG models for the Luggun and Big Tray.

There are a few holes: The Guntank Mk. I only got released as part of the LE White Base set, and they somehow never made an MP Guntank despite having everything else from 08th MST >including< Karen's damned GM Head Gundam.

There's a guy on the 1/400 Collection Wargaming* group on Facebook/Yahoo who's working on licensing a new game, but his minis are still in the prototype stage. Still worht talking to him about.

*Don't get excited, it's just a port of the SD Generation/SRW engine to tabletop.

Oh, and I need to post the link, but someone finally scanned Senki. I don't have the time or skill to translate it, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could reach out for someone who does.

With really niche games like much of what CMoN's games either are or turn into once it abandons i terest in them for their next big project, game stores really are crucial to providing you with a place to meet that one other weirdo that plays the game.

Also, if you miss something when CMoN has it in stock, it's anyones guess how many months it will be before they decide to replenish sold-out inventory items. So if you wanted to jump into Dark Age (as an example) tonight, good fucking luck getting a faction starter or anything popular in a faction. So it's not like being the nigh sole distributor of a lot of their goods means you can even get their stuff, anyway.

>Oh, and I need to post the link, but someone finally scanned Senki
I've had the scans of Gundam Senki for a little while now, if that's what you're referring to. It's just raw scans though, not even in a PDF.
Do you know by any chance if there's a translation being done right now? Closest thing I could find seemed dead, the most recent copy I have is 0.80 or something like that.

An Asari
Born on a Starship
Slaver

Extranet Addict
Maimed
Extensive Tattoos

3000 Credits
>Medium Armour (200 Credits, 2pts)
>Medium Kinetic Barrier (300 Credits, 3pts)
>Level 3 Biotic Implant (500 Credits, 5pts)
>>Stasis (300 Credits, 3pts)
>>Reave (600 Credits, 6pts)
>>Throw (300 Credits, 6pts)
>Omni-Tool with Basic Functions (100 Credits, 1pt)
>Biofeedback System (300 Credits, 3pts)
>Omni-Blade (400 Credits, 4pts)

47pts total, 3000 Credits spent.

Quickly knocked up an example Asari slaver.

Systems Alliance army list for comparison.

Bump so I can read some of these projects when I get off work.

Oh also, I've started a fantasy variant of the game as well for people who aren't interested in mecha stuff. It does differ in quite a few areas, obviously, so it isn't just a reskin and has its own mechanics and stuff like spells and enchanted items.
Should I add a system for enchanting weapons, or should I just add enchanted weapons to the list of buyable equipment?
Like Mexceed Senki, this game is meant to be streamlined and simple, but also with a lot of customization for your individual units/characters. I'm trying to find a happy medium of simple and customizable.

Jesus fucking Christ mate, what the fuck is your problem.

(As a Nids player) - Kek!

Speaking of Gundam models, did that guy who started that 1/144th scale game post anything recently?

He posted a link to a discord channel at the toppish of the thread.

Does anyone got a pdf for this?

amazon.com/Cthulhu-Campaigns-Ancient-Rome-Osprey/dp/1472816005

Shit son, have you even finished the mecha yet? Is you crazy?
A system for enchanting weapons is cool, but I understand it could be harder to set up.

>...The Pathogen ships are all literally diseased genitals.

To be fair, Ground Zero Games have been doing that for years.

>mfw Space ... Pencils ... are mathematically (i.e.volume-to-size ratio) the most efficient SpaceShip hull shape available.

Really brings a new meaning to the term 'Full Thrust'

That guy with the Italian Wars / Condottieri idea

You put anything together yet?

Odd that I checked this thread right at the moment this popped up.

Right now I'm just trying to get everything written down. There's a surprising amount of writing involved even for what is meant to be a reasonably simple ruleset. The basics of the system is that it's d12 based, and you roll under or equal to a relevant stat (plus modifiers) for an action to be successful. Units can act twice per turn, so they could move twice to sprint, attack twice if you're stuck in a particularly vicious melee, or use a couple of different maneuvers (currently I've only thought of pushing, tripping, and disarming).

Currently it also uses a really rough alternating activation system where units have an initiative stat that determines when they activate, with higher initiative units moving, then the next highest, and so on. I haven't experimented with alternating actions outside of the Warlord random dice mechanic before, so this will probably need a few kinks worked out of it.

As far as the campaign system itself, I honestly have no experience with campaign systems at all, so I'm just writing based off what I'd like to see in one. There are two main currencies in the campaign: florins and renown. Florins are used to hire and equip troops, while renown determines who wins the campaign. The idea being that main objectives in battles get you renown, while side objectives get you florins. Even though a brigata might be winning the campaign currently with a higher renown score, the trailing brigata could still stand a chance at a comeback from having focused more on side objectives, therefore bringing more/better equipped mercenaries to later battles.

Because I think it'd bog down the game too much, currently the only rpg-like elements are for your captains who gain points after battles (win or lose) that can be used to increase stats or unlock abilities. There'll be different kinds of captain too, with some being leaders and some being fighters.

>D12 roll under
Cool. Interesting to see the d12 used. How do you plan to do opposed tests? Just a blackjack-esque "both roll under, whichever side rolls higher without failing wins"?

>Init-based AA
Seems like it could work fine. Immediate problems I see are
-if you do it with dice that is a LOT of rolling every round (you could just do it once at the start of the game, and stick with that. As a note, it slightly lessens the importance of the stat if it's rolled that infrequently).
-If you don't do it with dice, you'll have flat numbers and that could mean a lot of equal initiatives - so how do you determine who goes first? Whichever way makes it alternate back and forth most smoothly, in whichever order desired?

>Florins vs Renown
Seem like they should be fine, but I think Florins should be generated from primary objectives too, at least a little bit? Or maybe have Renown do something, even if it's mild bonuses at kind-of-far-apart Renown levels. I dunno what, though. Morale boosts? Extra Florins from side objectives? Better access to gear/recruits?

>RPG-Like elements
Hmm, only on one man? So do most of your men not improve outside of their gear?
Would it thus end up a bit like Frostgrave, except it's now Captain + Warband and not Wizard+Warband?

>How do you plan to do opposed tests?
There aren't any opposed tests at the moment. One soldier tests accuracy (with any modifiers from cover/the weapon itself) to shoot another soldier with his crossbow, and if successful the other soldier then tests his armour (minus any armour modifiers from the crossbow). I'm trying to keep it reasonably simple, so tests are simply looking at the stat, applying one or two modifiers at most, and rolling. Where possible I've also tried to remove tests to make it play faster, for example, you can jump across a gap up to half your speed stat with no rolling necessary, but that's tangential now.

>a LOT of rolling every round
>how do you determine who goes first?
Current idea was that each player rolls off at the start of the game, and elects to go either first or second. Then during every subsequent turn, the first player activates a soldier first if they both have soldiers sitting on the same initiative step (say, both have a couple of initiative 9 stradiots). Then they take turns activating a single soldier each on that step until all soldiers have acted. If only one player has soldiers on a step, they simply activate all their soldiers on by one until they've all acted. The initiative is currently not a stat that gets tested by anything, same with their speed stat which is simply their max move in inches for a single action.

>Florins should be generated from primary objectives too
True, they probably will be. I'm sure scenarios will go through plenty of revisions once I get around to writing them.

>maybe have Renown do something, even if it's mild bonuses
That's a clever idea, but it'd be hard to balance since it's essentially giving bonuses to the side that's already (nominally) winning.

TBC because too long

>only on one man? So do most of your men not improve outside of their gear?
Pretty much, my basic idea was for the soldiers to be more focused around picking counters to your opponent's composition (I take Rodelero, so they take Genoese crossbowmen, so I take Stradiots, so they take Landsknecht, etc) than upgrading a core of soldiers, but I see the appeal of both approaches. To compare it to video games, my idea was more Age of Empires than Xcom.

>Would it thus end up a bit like Frostgrave, except it's now Captain + Warband and not Wizard+Warband?
It probably would, to be honest. I was currently thinking of making captains become really OP once they'd fought through a bunch of battles, which was a big reason why I thought my system would fit better in /awg/ than /hwg/, since it's more arcadey than simulationist.

>that post

Polish Winged Hussars had as standard gear a Lance, a Sabre, a brace of Pistols, and a war-mace

watch your step, anglic plebian....

here

I've written the basic ranged attack, statistics and 3D movement rules for this idea now.

I tried to keep 3D movement as simple as possible (cribbing from Dropfleet).

Various thoughts:

One thing I really dislike is that there's no stat for pilot skill, considering the theme of "very good pilot in grunt MS can keep up with or defeat inexperienced pilots in more powerful MS" is pretty common in the series.

Three range bands plus an additional one for overwatch seems a bit much to me. Maybe change it so you can overwatch at any range but it gives an additional penalty to hit?

The idea for movement and reaction fire is neat, but it sounds like it would end up kind of clunky to play with. Compared to say, Infinity's system for actions and AROs (which is the closest comparison I can think of) I don't really see what advantage this mechanic provides other than the novelty of being different. Also, the inability to react by dodging/evasion seems kind of odd to me.

I still kind of like my idea for damage more ( ), but then I suppose that isn't really saying much (everyone loves their own brand and all that).

I have an idea for how to keep it simple. I need to refine it, as I just got out of bed, but I could put normal weapons in the buyable equipment list, and then the player could just use them as is or move on to the enchantment list and buy enchantments for weapons which would give them special effects.
As for my sanity, yeah, Mexceed Senki is pretty much done (the game anyway, still have to expand on army lists and edit). This game uses a lot of the same mechanics like the method of activation, overwatch, rolling for combat, etc. so it's not a huge endeavor (at least in my opinion) to make this new variant (which is maybe the wrong word to use as the games do differ in some core areas so, like I said before, this isn't just a reskin).
Plus I have a lot of free time, so I can write pretty much all day. In fact, my girlfriend's out on a field study for the next couple weeks so my mission is to get both games done-ish before she returns (which shouldn't be very hard seeing as they're both playable right now).
As far as the lore goes the games, the fantasy game is a lot more fleshed out. For Mexceed Senki, my goal was to make it very lean so it could easily be applied to any setting the player might want to play in (like Gundam, Evangelion, Godzilla, etc.). My goal for this new fantasy game, however, is to expand on the lore more as it is based on a setting I've been coming up with and tinkering with here and there for a little while now. This won't be too in-your-face, though, so the game can still be easily applied to pretty much any "standard" fantasy setting (LotR, D&D, Pathfinder, hell maybe even something like WoW).