Is it wrong to TPK if my players aren't engaging in my setting?

Is it wrong to TPK if my players aren't engaging in my setting?

If Tpk happens it happens, that is jist part of the game, but to force Tpk because you are unhappy with your players is just a bitch move.

No. It's wrong of you to continue DMing. I expect your badge and gun on my desk by monday morning.

Only if you ever expect them to give a shit ever again afterwards

yes
TPKing because you're butthurt is shitty behavior. Yes, you *can* do it, but it's basically the equivallent of taking your ball and going home.
Are your players not engaging with your setting? then your presentation of it is boring to them. Make it more interesting.
be a better GM

Only if it justified based of their actions and the story.

A true wake up call for them would be you forcibly retiring their characters because they do not mesh with the world. Then again, you should have had way to shackle their character to the setting at even the smallest level. Never allow a character who is not invested in their own life.

Literally had one of my players say
>Let's skip this roll playing crap, I'm not dealing with this right now
I'm giving them every opportunity to interact with NPC's and I'm prepared to describe every facet of the world but they just want to kill things.

Ultimately user yes, you will spend countless hours preparing for the game, but it is ultimately every body's game at the table.

You are not god and making your "setting" and presentation of such so unappealing that others don't care reflects more in you than others.

Why don't you just ask them what THEY would like and spitefully dick them over in small increments throught ?

I wouldn't waste the time required to TPK then. Just stop giving them sessions. It's a stronger statement and doesn't come off as passive aggressive faggotry anyway

Then let them kill things and see how boring it can be to endlessly grind dice.
The only NPCS that matter are in relation to the quest the others are trivial and fluff.

You should probably ask if they want to quit or start a new campaign in an understanding way. Even if they actually want to quit, they might think worse of you for failed attempts at murder and see you as a killer DM.

We've had like 10 sessions or so at this point, and I had a meeting with all my players last week to get feedback on the game and they pretty much all told me that I was doing a great job.
They're all pretty much new plays so I think maybe I just set them up with the wrong expectations.

Yes. Your job as GM is to provide a challenge and be as neutral as you can in its outcome. If you're players are not engaging in the setting and are still able to survive, they're having it too easy. Make a more dangerous adventure but be just about it, be impartial. Then, if the party dies, it's their own fault.

Then throw armies of goblins at them. Or something so weak that they're killing in one hit but there's a fuck ton of them

They could be lying to you so you don't feel bad. Even if they use their phones or forget some stuff, they should still look like their doing something.

If you're pretty sure they're bored out of their minds and you don't really want to salvage a campaign they don't care about, you should force a climax or something and just end the thing early, that way you don't look like an asshole.

His idea might also work if nobody has come close to death

I'm sure at least one of my players is bored out of his mind. The worst part is, he's always the one to rush the party along to the next destination, so if anyone else wants to interact they just never have the chance.
The other people in the group are a girl who never has her character sheet in order, a guy who's literally just a murderhobo, a meme character, and the one guy who actually wants to roleplay who is stuck with 7 int

so you aren't running the game your players want to play. Sucks to be you. Find new players, or run a different game.

I'd kick the bored guy, but make sure he's bored in private and plan a heroic sacrifice or cool death with him.

Since the bored guy dominates stuff, the other characters could get a chance to roleplay more.

Also for 7 int guy, If he's a dumb person then I'm not 100% sure what to do. maybe make the role play less focused on plans and strategies and more focused on narrative. that problem may fix itself once you kick bored guy though.

If he has 7 Int on his character sheet for optimization purposes, then tell him that dump stats really shouldn't be used as a way to limit your roleplaying potential. 5e isn't a system where a smart character needs high int to be intelligent.

If the character is supposed to be dumb and he doesn't want to abandon the character (but genuinely hates the dumb part and is giving up as opposed to embracing it) give him a magic item to raise his int to 17 or something.

I think Meme guy is just new and murder hobo just wants a fight every session or every other session to be happy, murder hobos are very motivated by magic shit and power so you could use that as a tool to interest them. If the party got robbed, he would care most and probably be the one most angry at the robbers and desperate to get everything back. (but be careful with stuff like that)

If the murder hobo is a martial then there could be the issue of not having any utility stuff to do

I'm not a DM but I've been/known the bored guy, known the dumb guy, been the dumb guy, and I've played with the murderhobo. This is just the stuff that's worked for me in real life.

His idea is also good if you already know you just want to quit. just don't do the petty revenge if your reputation is important to you, word of that stuff spreads.

We're playing Pathfinder, but he's always wanted to play a dumb character and now he's just bummed he can't really provide any insight to the party's situation.
And I can't really kick the bored guy without everyone else leaving, he's one girl's bf and we're all friends.
Just a shitty situation desu.

Thanks for the advice user.

I didn't know you were all friends. in that case, you really can't kick the bored guy.

You're welcome though, I hope you find some sort of solution in the future.

Are they having fun?
If yes: act like an adult and do your half of what was agreed upon. If you can't, be a fuckin' man, back out, and see if they want to try a new setting.

If No: refer to the last part of "If Yes".

This doesn't seem that hard, but I've seen this thread a million times. How is this confusing?

I'm reminded of a flashback scene in Road to Wellsville:
>Dr. Kellogg's newest adopted son, who grows up to be Dana Carvey, refuses to eat a vegetarian dinner, instead chanting "I want meat!" over and over at the dinner table.
>Dr. Kellogg tries everything to get through to the boy, to no avail.
>Later that night, the brilliant doctor discusses with his wife how he just doesn't understand it.
>She suggests that he simply isn't giving the boy what he feels he needs.
>Dr. Kellogg states that he can't possibly fathom what that could be as, still seated at the dinner table, the boy remains chanting, "I want meat!"

>It's a stronger statement
If you want to make a statement, communicate.
Stopping sessions to prove a point *is* passive aggressive.

>Then let them kill things and see how boring it can be to endlessly grind dice.
>Throw at them armies of something so weak that they're killing in one hit
Intentionally running a boring game is also passive aggressive.

>so you aren't running the game your players want to play. Sucks to be you. Find new players, or run a different game.
Wisdom.