One of my PCs has in his background, that he sees ghosts

One of my PCs has in his background, that he sees ghosts.

Got ideas for any scenes with ghosts, that are interesting/sad/disturbing?

thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/47642451/#p47645474
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You may want to take a look at Pillars of Eternity, the main character (you) can interact with souls left behind by great memories, remembering moments of great importance.
(everything is text because kicksstarter, but still the writing is good enough)

>but still the writing is good enough
I disagree. I found it extremely boring and tedious and the hyped up "interact with memories" thing happnens once or twice, and the rest is just you having flashbacks of a previous life just so that the game can tell its' mediocre story.

Specific ghosts, like family members? Or ghosts of locations, if that makes sense?

>but still the writing is good enough
>posts that pic

At least you didn't post the one backer story about the lesbians showing off to all the haters that they are lesbians because.. reasons?

Ghosts you can find anywhere. Close to that "I see dead people" movie. People, animals, monsters ... events of the past, yearnings ... anything.

Write it off as psychotic hallucinations and let the fool roleplay his own wank.

Is there some spell effect that approximates hallucinations in your system? Have him just be under that 24/7 but maybe get perception bonuses or something in related cases.

>The main character has the power to see exposition
I dropped PoE without even finishing the first act, it was so bad.

I have tried repeatedly to get through it but its just not good. Not as bad as BG2:Act 2+ though.

PoE, like most Obsidian games, has a really boring main game but a pretty cool expansion. It's only really worth getting into if you like the gameplay, though.

You gotta make seeing ghosts a frequent occurrence to the point of being mundane. Like, every place you go to has a buncha ghosts spooking around and having a ghoul time. Occasionally have something a little disturbing, like a few ghosts with broken necks around the gallows or something, but just always have ghosts around.

Then you gotta have a small village with no ghosts whatsoever. Offer no explanation if asked.

nice.

Setting, adventure, any fucking context whatsoever?

D&D, Faerun, Sword Coast.

If you really want to fuck with the player,
the explanation can be something stupidly simple like it's a recently settled village and nobody has died yet. Or they kill ghosts there,
I dunno.

The PC is the only one who can see the ghosts.
The PC is the only one who the ghosts can see.

Alright. Let's think of a few then:
>Dungeons and battlefields are obviously shit. Aside from the dangerous kind of spectral enemies you can have ghosts, hostile, oblivious or pleading for help up tot he point that the player may want to talk with others about whether they see the same.

If you want to have it tough start an encounter and give each player a piece of paper. Tell non-medium players to ignore this or that enemy as they're nothing there, give the medium player a piece of paper with some bullshit information. Have him swing sword at enemies that aren't there.

Some field or whatever. A silhouette of a child playing with a dog. Found later in some hole a skeleton of a child with a broken leg and lying next to it a skeleton of a dog, likely just lying there till it starved to death.

Any fight in the cementary or other haunted place after the initial "swing sword at nothing" encounter comes with perception check every round for the player so they can distinguish between real and ghostly but benign enemies. They wanted to be special snowflake, make it come with downsides, not only boons.

Generally, add little touches to descriptions. While players get some general description of a temple, throw a short note at the medium player that aside from that he sees silhouettes of devout monk tending the garden just outside. A burn out mill has a man in the apron mimicking moving of bags of grain/flour, a guard tower by the gate has an apparition of a guardsman looking like he tries to hide from the rain and light a pipe. A family grave somewhere near ruins of some farmhouse. In front of the grave, on the bench an old couple in poor farmer's garb sit and hold hands before fading away.
None of these really reacts to the player, being just a loop of someone living there in the past.

To slightly balance it out, add once an encounter with some ghostly silhouette of some rogue hiding in an alley and hiding a pouch of cheap change behind a brick in a wall.

They keep seeing a little girl, the same little girl, in every settlement they reside in. In an inn, in a village, in the Capital, etc. as long as there's enough people. She doesn't appear to be a ghost, not initially.

PoE is only bad if you talk to backer NPCs

Before the game, take all the other PC's aside, describe an NPC and tell them to absolutely ignore any statements you make about them, give a few key words and clear identifies so they know who you're talking about.

That NPC is a ghost who appears real to the player. If you've got a good group who are willing to play along and keep up the illusion, you might manage to get a really interesting reaction out of them when they realise what's going on.

Pick up the Libris Mortis, Ghostwalk Campaign setting and Ravenloft 2e-Sword and Sorceries 3.5 Ravenloft if you want to properly run D&D ghosts.

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/47642451/#p47645474
>Conan is canon in Lovecraft
I've always loved this and it's sad e we don't see it much today. I guess because Paradox still has the Conan rights.

>you will never see the murderous spirit of Conan turn up in the Laundry Files as a Black Chamber assassin

does he know when he sees a ghost?

All ghost do is fuck each other. Hopefully the PC is a Paladin.

>you will never see the murderous spirit of Conan turn up in the Laundry Files as a Black Chamber assassin
An ancient Barbarian Hero who doesn't realize they've been dead for centuries and keeps fighting all the "wizards" everywhere.

Yes he does. They are translucent figures who sometimes talk to him.

When they see people die, have their ghosts come out and say stuff before passing on.

Dead family members' ghosts could hang around their families.

Have lingering ghosts be a little surprised when the PC can see them.

>Party kills some bandit
>Doesn't get it, ghost constantly trying to attack PC
>Yelling curses and lunging through him repeatedly

Depends on the locations your PC is visiting. If it's an old battlefield or something, you could have multiple ghosts of warriors who are bound there. They don't fight anymore, they realised that there was no point. All they do is look on at the living with some sense of melancholy, regretting that they traded life for death in a conflict which hasn't mattered in hundreds of years.

How about a ruined city that tje party discovers, 300 years ago something happened that doomed it. The doom was apparent and the city had a wave of turmoil befall it. Everyone died, but this characters background forces him to see the atrocities that the peoplw were commiting on eachother. Looting, murder, and worse. Perhaps there are clues amongst the many ghosts this person sees and a magic item can be found in the old ruins.

Well, I recommend the classic ghostly warning, where the spirits of the dead urge your character to gtfo fast.

That or ghosts are just people but dead. Like you could just hang out with a ghost and talk to him and shit. He could guide you past the traps he escaped and then you eventually find and loot his corpse. Etc. The dead returns to help the living and whatnot.

At any given point in history since antiquity, the dead have outnumbered the living roughly 100 to 1. Literally every developed area you go to is going to have Hong Kong levels of population density of ghosts.

plot twist: what he sees are not actual ghosts (if your setting has them), he is just hallucinating

That's assuming every dead person turns into a ghost, user, instead of going into an afterlife. Normally, it's assumed that only people with unfinished business like revenge become ghosts.

A small peasant girl wandering the town aimlessly. There is really no signs of her death in her ectoplasmic form. She is just seen randomly around town in a daze. (Swallowed whole by a dragon)